PDA

View Full Version : Iron Heroes Basics

Thrawn183
2007-06-11, 06:22 PM
A friend of mine is trying to decide between DM'ing a generic classes game or Iron Heroes as we've both become pretty disgusted with spellcasting. We're both reading up on IH to see what we think of the system... but I kind of feel the same way I did when I first picked up D&D (you know how you think iron will is a cool feat the first time you read it?).

That said, are there any general tips you can give about Iron Heroes for a novice? Kind of along the lines of only being able to use one strike a round with ToB or not being able to use more power points than your manifester level in psionics.

I don't want us to get pushed off something that may or may not be a decent system just because we missed something that should be a pretty basic element of the game.

And does the token system get less complex once you have a better understanding of it? I've only just started reading through it... and wow.

Skjaldbakka
2007-06-11, 06:34 PM
I've played some Iron Heroes, so I'll take a shot at it.

My personal advice- don't use the spellcaster class from Iron Heroes. It really sucks unless you really break it (I've heard that the summoning gets way out of line). And then it sucks for everyone else.

Find the errata before playing. The book switched writers mid-way through, and the second guy didn't really care, so alot of things are wonky. I've never had a desire to run a campaign of Iron Heroes, so I haven't bothered looking at the errata.

Some things I've done/seen:

The executioner can combine weapon finesse with power attack, which is the first thing I played with.
I messed around with the shield tree, which gives you an AoO whenever someone misses by your shield bonus (which can be increased by the same tree).
I have seen harriers do disgusting things. Skill tricks with jump are absolutely disgusting when you have an increased movement rate to ramp up your jump.

The token system is a lot more intuitive once you've gotten used to it.

EDIT-
Read over the skill stuff. There are things in there that are very important to know. Like making a listen check to ignore being flanked, and making a sleight of hand check to catch your opponent flat-footed. Most skills have a combat application in Iron Heroes.