PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Trying to make the high level fighter = high level full caster

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-13, 05:10 PM
I've spent most of the day trying to draft something that will work. Please criticize!

Commander is a fighter archetype designed to make the fighter really rival the full caster without making the fighter just do more fighter stuff. According to the PHB, “Different fighters choose different approaches to perfecting their fighting prowess. The martial archetype you choose to emulate reflects your approach.” (PHB 72) I created this approach to emulate the abilities of highly successful military leaders from the tactical to the strategic level. My inspiration for these rules is Sun Tzu’s Art of War, primarily the quote, “To win one hundred victories in one hundred battles is not the acme of skill. To subdue the enemy without fighting is the acme of skill.” It’s what I hoped Battle Master was, but isn’t.

The archetypal Commander focuses on developing leadership as well as tactical and strategic techniques.

Leadership. When you choose this archetype at third level, you learn combat leadership techniques that are fueled by leader dice that follow the same general rules as the Battle Master’s superiority dice. You start with four dice (d8) and gain additional dice at 7th and 15th level. You learn three techniques at third level, and two additional techniques at 7th, 10th, and 15th level. Unlike Battle Master, not all techniques are available to the Commander at 3rd level, and you can change techniques known each time you earn a level. Unless otherwise specified, the saving DC is 8 + proficiency bonus + Charisma modifier.

Close Order Drill. As a leader of officers or a cohort, you choose the order in which they act. Members of your cohort can move through the space of other members as if it was normal terrain. Ranged weapon attacks by your cohort are not blocked/covered by other members of the cohorts within 15’.

Combat Orders. At 3rd level you gain the ability to read, write, speak, and understand tactical orders and commands of your army. This allows you to lead, command, and share an initiative roll with a number of cohorts equal to five times your level or a number of officers (who lead their own cohorts) equal to your level. You may also understand the combat commands and intent of enemy leaders if you can see them and know the language. Contest your Wisdom (insight) against the enemy leader’s Charisma (deception).
Wargaming. Starting at 3rd Level, when you spend at least one hour with your cohort/officers working out the details of a plan, the results give you the equivalent of an omen, as if you had cast Augury (PHB 215).

Know Your Enemy and Yourself. Starting at 7th level, if you spend at least 1 minute observing or interacting with another creature outside combat, you learn critical information about its capabilities. The DM tells you the resistances, immunities, and/or vulnerabilities of the creature, the non-magical damage type(s) it does, and its movement speed and modes.

Stratagem. Once per long rest, starting at 10th level, you can use a stratagem to create a significant advantage over a group of enemies. The first attack made by every ally under your command on the enemy is at advantage.
Enemy Unprepared. Starting at 15th level, you know how to time an attack to avoid the largest part of a group of creatures. Once per long rest, you can invoke this ability before a combat begins to gain surprise and remove 15% of a group of enemies that is under the control of a “boss.” The removed enemies earn experience only if the whole group is defeated. This percentage increases by 2% per level above 15th up to a maximum of 25%.

Supreme Art. At 18th level, you know how to subdue your enemy without fighting. Your presence in command of a military force frightens enemies. All enemy leaders who know your reputation and are aware of your presence on the battlefield must make a Wisdom save. The DC is 8 + your Wisdom modifier. On a failed save, the leader is frightened. Each target can repeat the saving roll at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. Being frightened by you should be treated as a ‘circumstance’ that may cause your enemy to flee or surrender as described in the optional morale rule (DMG p.273).

Leader Techniques for Subalterns (3rd) and Lieutenants(4th)
1. Lead by Example. (3rd) Roll one leader die before attempting a strength or dexterity check. Add half to your leader die roll to your ability check roll. Cohorts who see you and attempt the same act on their current or their next turn can use your unmodified die roll as their own.
2. Vicious Taunt. (3rd) Your taunting is as strong as Vicious Mockery (PHB 285) but without the psychic damage. You taunt one creature for each of your levels as an action. The targets must be within 60’ and be able to hear and understand you. The Wisdom DC is your leader die roll + your Wisdom (intimidation) score. The taunted are disadvantaged on the first attack roll they make in their current or next turn.
3. Brash Challenge. (3rd) As a bonus action, you challenge the leader of an opposing force to single combat as if you had cast Compelled Duel. The opposing leader must be able to understand you. The leader makes a Wisdom save or is compelled to fight you per PHB 224. Your leader die roll plus your Charisma (intimidation) modifier is the duration of the effect in turns. No concentration is required. You do not have to know who the leader is to issue the challenge, and the DM does not reveal the location of the leader to you if you do not already know who they.
4. Break the Will. (3rd) After you hit a creature with a non-ranged weapon attack, you can expend one leader die to attempt to frighten the target. The DC of the Wisdom save is the die roll + your Charisma (intimidation) modifier. On a failed save, it is frightened by you until the end of your next turn.
5. Commander's Strike. (3rd) When you take the Attack action on your turn, you can forgo one of your attacks and use a bonus action to direct one of your companions to strike. When you do so, choose a friendly creature who can see or hear you and expend one leader die. That creature can immediately use its reaction to make one weapon attack, adding the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.
6. Configure. (4th) Expend a leader die and produce one of two effects described in Unearthed Arcana (March 2015) “When Armies Clash.” ©2015 Wizards of the Coast LLC
a. Aid. As an action, give a momentary advantage to your cohort’s attacks. Forgo your attack. Your level plus your die roll is the number of cohorts that gain advantage on the first attack they make that turn.
b. Defend. As an action, give +2 to AC to members of your cohort. Forgo your attack. Your level plus your die roll is the number of cohorts that gain advantage.
7. Exploited Weakness. (4th) As a bonus action on any turn you score a critical hit on a foe, you expend a leader die and communicate how you did it to a number of allies equal to your roll plus your Charisma modifier who are within 30’. You and they score critical hits on a roll of 19 or 20 against foes of the same type until the battle ends. You can use this ability only once per type of foe in the battle.
8. Decisive Moment. (4th) You recognize the decisive moment for your side to act when in arrives. You may roll one leader die after initiative order is determined by the DM, add the result of your roll your initiative and that of your cohorts, and recalculate the initiative order. This counts as your reaction for your turn.

Leader Techniques for Captains (5th) and (6th)
1. Take Command. (5th) On your turn, you can use an action and expend one leader die to restore or redirect the resolve of all allies within 30’ for up to one minute with concentration. The effect of this technique is similar to the spell Calm Emotions (PHB 221). Each ally within 30’ for you must make a Charisma saving throw; allies can choose to fail this saving throw if they wish. If an ally fails its saving throw, choose one of the following two effects. You can suppress any effect causing the ally to be charmed or frightened. When this technique ends, any suppressed effects resume, provided that the durations have not expired in the meantime. Alternatively, you can make an ally indifferent about creatures of your choice that it is hostile toward. This indifference ends if the target or any allies it can see is attacked or harmed.
2. Give a Medal. (5th) As an action you can expend a leader die and cast Heroism (PHB 250) on one willing creature. They are immune to being frightened and gain temporary hit points equal to your Charisma (persuasion) or Wisdom (insight) modifier at the start of each of their turns. The technique effect lasts for up to one minute with concentration. All temporary hit points are lost when the technique ends.
3. Irresistible Charge. (5th) You execute a perfectly synchronized charge by your cohort towards the enemy. You can take no other actions, bonus actions, or interactions while charging/dashing. Your leader die roll plus your Charisma (persuasion) modifier is the duration of the effect in turns. You and your cohorts’ speed increases 10’ for the duration. Your charge creates Fear (PHB 239) in a 30’ cone coming from you. The DC for this roll is your leader die roll + your Charisma (intimidation) modifier, and each target can repeat the saving roll at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success or one full turn after the charge ends.
4. Combat Guidance. (6th) Expend a leader die and utter encouraging words, guidance, and warnings to members of your cohorts within 30’. Add a d4 to all attack rolls or saving throws made by your cohort for a number of turns equal to your leader die roll plus your Charisma (persuasion) modifier. (MM 347, 186)
5. To Hell and Back. (6th) Your leadership inspires hope under all circumstances as if you cast Beacon of Hope (PHB 217). The leader die roll plus your Charisma (persuasion) modifier is the duration of the effect in turns. All allies within 30’ have advantage on Wisdom and Death saves, and gain the maximum hit points possible from any healing.
6. Cry Havoc. (6th) Incite a one turn rampage by members of your cohort. Your leader die roll + your Charisma (persuasion) modifier is the number of cohorts who, as a bonus action, can move up to half its speed and make a second attack on their current or next turn.

Leader Techniques for Majors (7th)
1. Advanced Wargaming. (7th) When you spend at least one hour with your cohort/officers working out the details of a plan, you are able to learn the answer to one question as if you had cast Divination (PHB 234). Expend a leader die at the end of the hour.
2. Essayons. (7th) You use your engineering assets carefully to obtain Freedom of Movement. (PHB 244) Allies who start and remain within 60’ of you also have Freedom of Movement. Roll your leader die and add your Wisdom modifier. The result is the number of turns the leader effect lasts. The effect does not duplicate the spells’ effect for under water movement or attacks.
3. War Face/Rebel Yell. (7th) Your appearance and battle cry in combat is truly horrifying to those who can see your face. Expend a leader die. Each creature of your race within 60’ of you who can see you at the start of your turn (friend and foe) must succeed on a Wisdom saving roll or be frightened for a number of turns equal to your leader die roll as long as they can see your face. The DC for this roll is your leader die roll + your Charisma (intimidation) modifier, and each target can repeat the saving roll at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success.

Leader Techniques for Colonels (10th)
1. Warfare Based on Deception. (10th) You deceive your enemy by disguising your allies appearance as if you cast Seeming. (PHB 274) Expend a leader die. The roll plus your Charisma (deception) modifier is the duration of the effect in hours.
2. Attack Where Unprepared. (10th) You identify a way to approach your enemy undetected and attack them with the advantage of surprise. When you, your command, and your allies start a turn undetected by your foes, you can move together without chance of detection by non-magical means. Magical means of detection are at disadvantage. You have a full turn of surprise on any turn when you and/or your allies make an attack. The effect ends with the turn in which that attack was made. Your leader die roll plus your Charisma (deception) modifier is the duration of the effect in hours.

Leader Techniques for Generals (15th) and Marshals (17th)
1. Win Without Fighting. (15th) Your skill in planning makes battles unnecessary because you have become an object of Antipathy (PHB 214) to your enemies. An enemy intelligent creature of a kind you designate feels an intense urge to leave your presence and the area where you are. All enemy creatures of that type that come within 60’ of you must succeed on a Wisdom saving throw or become frightened. Expend a leader die. The roll plus your Charisma (persuasion) modifier is the duration of the effect in hours.
2. Preparation Meets Opportunity. (17th) Your experience in countless battles gives you insight into the probable actions and reactions of your foes to such a high degree that it is as if you cast Foresight (PHB 244) on yourself. When you wish to tap into this well of experience, expend a leader die. The roll plus your Wisdom (insight) modifier is the duration of the technique in minutes. You can’t be surprised, and have advantage on attack rolls, ability checks, and saving throws. Opponents are disadvantaged on their attack rolls against you.

Vogonjeltz
2015-12-15, 12:53 AM
Supreme Art.
At 18th level, you know how to subdue your enemy without fighting. Your presence in command of a military force frightens enemies. All enemy leaders who can see you make a DC10 Wisdom check. On a failed save, the leader is frightened. Being frightened by you should be treated as a ‘circumstance’ that may cause your enemy to flee or surrender as described in the optional morale rule (DMG p.273).

Eh, this misunderstands the point about subduing the enemy without fighting. It's not through fear, it's about outmaneuvering an enemy, such that the enemy is placed into a position in which they choose to give way without fighting because they don't see a way to win.

In any event, if you're committed to the fearsome reputation thing, I'd up it to include awareness of the character's leadership, not simply on sight.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-15, 08:13 AM
The goal of the type is to have the ability to strip away minions before the fight starts much like a wizard can blast them away with powerful spells in an instant on round 1. That's the only way I see a fighter can ever truly equal a 'caster in AE.

Eh, this misunderstands the point about subduing the enemy without fighting. It's not through fear, it's about outmaneuvering an enemy, such that the enemy is placed into a position in which they choose to give way without fighting because they don't see a way to win.

I agree with you. The problem I was trying to solve is most players can't describe the tactic or a military campaign that would produce the desired effect. So it is sort of a deliberate misunderstanding. I need "magic" without following the underwhelming Eldrich Knight.

The fear thing works fairly well, as individual leaders subject to fear are affected. If they choose to flee, their units probably follow, causing other leaders to re-check on morale. Some faill their checks, and a cascade effect happens.

Since you have engaged, I ask for ideas for "maneuvers" to replace the battle master ones. I've only written one new one so far:

Lead by Example. Expend one leader die before attempting a deliberate physical act that requires a strength or dexterity check (not a save). Add half to your roll to the result. Any ally who sees you and attempts the same act on their current or next turn can use your unmodified die roll as their own.

"I jump the chasm first, you follow me, ok?"

I wanted the capstone to be on sight to maximize it's usefulness, but you are correct, it should be on awareness.

"The subaltern was impressed by the huge war banner and the poise of the commander striding in front of it. But her awe turned to icy cold fear when she heard the men behind her whispering over and over...'Suleman! That's Suleman!'"

Tanarii
2015-12-15, 10:30 AM
Combat Orders doesn't really seem to do much. Anyone can command an army or officers. And if you do it in mass combat, you would all share initiative. What's the goal there, and the mechanical advantage?

Blood of Gaea
2015-12-15, 02:19 PM
Fighters tank and do single Target DPS better, with a few exceptions.

JellyPooga
2015-12-15, 04:15 PM
To be honest, I'm not buying this as a Fighter Archetype.

Fighters don't, as a rule, make good generals; a good war-leader, a good chief, perhaps, someone that leads from the front, bellowing orders to his comrades-in-arms...but being good at hitting things with a metal stick =/= good at strategy.

Certainly a general can be a competent combatant, trained in all the arts of war, but the sort of general/leader of the Sun Tzu or Napoleon variety, who plans a war, out-thinks his opponents, has troops in the right place at the right time to win the battle before it's started...that guy is probably not a melee expert like the Fighter is.

See the thing with an Archetype is that it modifies the base chassis of a Class; it isn't the main feature. Fighters are, well, front-line guys first and foremost; they excel at personal combat. An Archetype that makes him a better front-line leader is fine; the Purple Dragon Knight tries to do just that (with limited success, admittedly)and the Battlemaster can do it just fine with maneuvers like Commanders Strike and Maneuvering Attack.

On the other hand, an Archetype that means he isn't going to be able to use his primary function, like being the general of an army, has no place being part of that Class because you can't direct a war from the front-line.

I feel like this Archetype would be better suited to a support Class; Bard would be my first choice. They have the all-round education you'd expect a general to have through more skill/tool proficiencies and Jack-of-all-Trades, they aren't exactly untrained in martial matters (they have some armour and weapon proficiencies beyond just Simple weapons; Valour Bards can even be pretty good at personal combat) and their primary function is to help the rest of the party do their job well. A College that expands the magnitude and scope of that assistance to cover the activities of an army rather than a small band would feel right to me. Additionally, generals also tend to be charismatic types; the sort of people that you want to follow, not because they're a dab hand with a blade, but because they inspire confidence through their oratory and their success in equal measure. It all screams Bard to me.

Just my tuppence on the matter.

ruy343
2015-12-15, 04:55 PM
You know... I did make a new class called the strategist that almost won the first 5e class homebrew contest on the homebrew forum (I actually conceded first place because I didn't have time to provide critiques on others' entries, and I felt that was unfair). You can find a link to it in my signature.

djreynolds
2015-12-16, 01:32 AM
Where the Purple Dragon Knight might command a small unit, this guy has been relegated to being a general.

How many years does it take to become a 20th level warrior? If a dragon knock you down to 1 hit point, did you really make it out unscathed?

Could be very cool.

It would be neat if you could retire from adventuring earlier than 20th level and there were archetypes that you could assume, perhaps they have lower proficiency bonus gain and perhaps more skills gained. I don't know.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-16, 08:17 AM
Combat Orders doesn't really seem to do much. Anyone can command an army or officers. And if you do it in mass combat, you would all share initiative. What's the goal there, and the mechanical advantage?

Thank you for the comment. The goal is to give a player foreknowledge of an enemy's actions. You are right, it is weak. I've modified the last two sentences to try to clarify.

Combat Orders. At third level you gain the ability to read, write, speak, and understand tactical orders and commands of your army. This allows you to lead, command, and share an initiative roll with a formation of soldiers equal to five times your level or a number of officers equal to your level as part of an organized army. You may also understand the combat commands and intent of enemy leaders if you know the language. The DM reveals what the enemy is doing in the current round and intends to do in the next round on a successful Wisdom (insight) check.

I strongly disagree with "anyone can command an army." Anyone can sit on a horse, too, but to control it in motion and in action is another thing altogether. I disagree more with "or officers." That's like trying to control horses you aren't riding. But that's probably because I'm an officer in the US Army and I have a bias. It's all up to the DM in other worlds.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-16, 08:18 AM
It would be neat if you could retire from adventuring earlier than 20th level and there were archetypes that you could assume, perhaps they have lower proficiency bonus gain and perhaps more skills gained. I don't know.

I like this idea of "Retirement Archetypes!"

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-16, 08:23 AM
To be honest, I'm not buying this as a Fighter Archetype.

Fighters don't, as a rule, make good generals; a good war-leader, a good chief, perhaps, someone that leads from the front, bellowing orders to his comrades-in-arms...but being good at hitting things with a metal stick =/= good at strategy.

It all screams Bard to me.

Thank you for taking the time to respond. You are very right, being a fighter does not mean you will always have leadership ability. Thus it's an archetype relying on charisma and wisdom to a lesser extent.

But the point was to give the most mundane fighter capstone/epic effects that would rival full casters, thus I did not consider Bard (but stole effects from Bard when making this up).

If this goes nowhere, I will probably create a "college of war" based on this screaming bard. It does, and it makes more sense. It's just not what I wanted to do.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-16, 08:25 AM
You know... I did make a new class called the strategist that almost won the first 5e class homebrew contest on the homebrew forum (I actually conceded first place because I didn't have time to provide critiques on others' entries, and I felt that was unfair). You can find a link to it in my signature.

I will definitely check this out. Right now, I am late to leave for work!

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-16, 07:46 PM
You know... I did make a new class called the strategist.

And dang if it wasn't great. I loved it! I will steal several ideas and repackage them as "techniques" to replace the Battle Master maneuvers.

Do you know of any use of your class? It's worthy.

BootStrapTommy
2015-12-16, 07:48 PM
I just give my martial types better loot. Better magical loot does a good job...

Fishybugs
2015-12-16, 09:39 PM

Prestige class: Grandparent

djreynolds
2015-12-17, 05:57 AM

Thanks, I mean how do you explain someone becoming a general. I have heard the phrase uttered, "you're just a medical colonel," in my time. Crazy. But a bard as a general, nonsense. The bard is there penning speeches, and the fighter is losing skills to learn social skills, like the Purple Dragon Knight gets expertise in persuasion. Someone has to convince the men that this war is just and they will live.

Now perhaps a fighter becomes a trainer, that could happen as well. But in time he would lose his edge because he's not out in battle. King Bruenor, never wanted the crown, he wanted the road and adventure and age did catch up with him. Perhaps a wizard becomes a spell maker but loses the feel of how to use these spells outside of a laboratory.

I mean what does a 20th level champion do, or bard? Run for president?

JellyPooga
2015-12-17, 08:43 AM
But a bard as a general, nonsense.

Put it this way; a retired Fighter could become a General, certainly. He's got the fighting and campaigning experience to know things from the bottom up. He's the raw recruit infantryman that worked his way up the ranks from Private to Officer.

The Bard, on the other hand, is actively using the skills a General needs throughout his adventuring career. He could be dumped in the position of being a General before he retires; he already has the skills the Fighter would have to learn. He's the officer candidate that entered the army with a commissioned rank.

In short; Fighter basic training = Fighting, Bard basic training = leadership (or at least skills transferable to that role). Seriously, take away the poncy "playing a guitar down a dungeon" image and Bards become so much more versatile in scope; they're Indy-style archeologists, battle-hardened leaders, wise councilors, cunning arcanists and much more.

I mean what does a 20th level champion do, or bard? Run for president?

Pick your poison;
Achilles died in battle (this one's quite popular!)
Herakles got promoted to full-god
Theseus founded a dynasty
Prometheus was strapped to a mountain for liver-removal

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-17, 08:10 PM
Thanks, I mean how do you explain someone becoming a general.
A general is an appointed position in a society, so one does not become a general, one is made a general. Unless of course you have raised your own army. Then you call yourself whatever you want.

The Commander archetype can also be just a heroic NPC shell. I can see it as a drop in recurring NPC who was the commander of the last outpost the party leaves, the commander of the unit that rides to their rescue, and/or the commander whose war council they join in order to lend their skills in a coordinated effort with the army in the epic ending of a campaign.

There is nothing saying the commander is less of a fighter. They study in the hours of darkness, and train/fight in the day. There is nothing saying they will become weaker as they gain all of the fighter level skills.

I'm thinking a player that wants a 'smart' fighter whose goal is to build a private mercenary army or a wannabe knight fighting for order and stability might love this. It's also ideal for a one player-DM scenario (more common in the old days I think) where the player needs power without having to play a bunch of different classes.

Gurka
2015-12-18, 01:07 AM
The Bard, on the other hand, is actively using the skills a General needs throughout his adventuring career. He could be dumped in the position of being a General before he retires; he already has the skills the Fighter would have to learn. He's the officer candidate that entered the army with a commissioned rank.

In short; Fighter basic training = Fighting, Bard basic training = leadership (or at least skills transferable to that role).

Truthfully, it's not what Class a character is that qualifies them to generalship, it's what backgrounds and proficiencies they have chosen, and what attributes they bring to the table. In order for any character to be successful in a position of battlefield leadership, they have to understand from the ground up how their own forces function, which means knowing their tactical and strategic strengths and weaknesses, morale, and lots of logistics. Having the Soldier background is the easiest way to bundle the knowledge and experience that would qualify you to command, though certainly not the only way.

Just because a fighter is trained to fight doesn't make them bad leaders, nor does a bard being charismatic make them good leaders. It just makes them more persuasive, which does more harm than good if the person doing the persuading is making poor decisions (see: Invade Russia).

Some of the greatest generals in human history are known to have lead from the front part or full time in battle. Alexander, Hannibal, Julius Caesar, Richard I, Genghis Khan, Charlemagne, Kenshin, and if I recall, one of the Byzantine Emperors as well, though I can't recall his name. It becomes less strategically viable to do so the larger forces become, but armies have to get pretty big for that to happen. Though there were plenty of generals who chose to lead from safety and control their forces via runner or signal, it was only with the introduction of explosives that it became too dangerous for generals to lead from the front.

I think of it like this: If you're a commander, then war is your trade, and it doesn't matter if you're a fighter, a rogue, a barbarian, or wizard, or warlock. What makes a war leader effective is understanding how to make the most of their forces. If they have the skills to contribute to the battle, then that leader will put themselves where they need to be. If you're a bard or a wizard, then you lead from a vantage point that allows you to use your spells and abilities to greatest affect. If you're a Fighter or Barbarian, then you lead from the front where your martial skill will have the most impact. Once the battle has commenced, the general is just one more piece on the board, and the king can take an enemy piece as well as any other. And unlike chess, with skilled lieutenants and commanders leading their own units (typically from the front) taking the king does not always end the battle.

Edit: Also, William Wallace, though the real person bore little resemblance to Mel Gibson.

djreynolds
2015-12-18, 01:42 AM
But whatever a general is, Kurt Kurageous has come up with something. Call it retirement levels, aging, getting old. A bard could definitely become a general, 5E has freed characters from lutes and trap disarming. I mean the best guy for dealing with traps is a life cleric, so he can heal himself when he sets it off and in no way am I genius.

So call it retirement archetypes, a wizard could create spells like "Melf's Acid Arrow, whatever. Its how detailed you wish to get in your campaign. Does the bridge builder exist? Is he an engineer? Was he always, was he an adventurer before??? And could he dust off the old hammer?

Vogonjeltz
2015-12-18, 08:42 AM
Seriously, take away the poncy "playing a guitar down a dungeon" image and Bards become so much more versatile in scope; they're Indy-style archeologists, battle-hardened leaders

I don't really think of Bard for the first one, that's much more "Thief" or "Fighter" with Sage background; and the Second is entirely the bailiwick of the Fighter (Battlemaster or Banneret)

JackPhoenix
2015-12-18, 03:13 PM
I've played bard as a military commander back in PF. Certainly not a champion and the best warrior in the army, but could use a sword (better then most common soldiers, thanks to being higher level), had good education (Knowledge: history, nobility, geography) and social skills to effectively deal with superiors, subordinates, civilians and potential enemies, could inspire his soldiers to fight harder (no instruments or songs, Perform: Oratory for epic inspiring speeches) and even knew some magic to help in combat and beyond (illusions to decieve the enemy, charms etc. for dealing with prisoners, buffs...). No fighter could compare to all that.

It would work about the same in 5e, except that the bard is generally a better class overall then what it was in 3.x

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-18, 03:52 PM
Pasted over original post, now includes 18 "techniques" (replacing battle master "maneuvers") that become available by level. I introduce rank as a suggested responsibility so one knows the scope of responsibility of the commander. It works with my suggested cohort numbers. I have a spreadsheet that details this painfully here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98ZjVId2RHM0JmM1k/view?usp=sharing

The Archetype as a word doc here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98U09KM2RMbjZzMVk/view?usp=sharing