PDA

View Full Version : "unintended uses" for Distracting Ember

rrwoods
2015-12-13, 06:20 PM
So I was looking through the Optimization Showcases saved from the now-dead WotC boards (thanks to everyone who did all that work!) and I noticed that in #2, it's mentioned that Distracting Ember has all the "normal intended and unintended uses". They specifically mention setting off traps, but what else is there, exactly?

GreyBlack
2015-12-13, 07:44 PM
You have a fire elemental for a turn. Use it to:

Start a campfire

Burn down a building.

Light a cigar.

Heat some water.

Intimidate a local gangster by saying, "I can call upon the powers of the elemental plane of fire at will, you'll be no match." And prove it.

Provide a light source.

Party tricks/serve warm beverages.

Provide its essence to the local mage, who can consume it over time and eventually create some absolutely powerful weapons.

Those are just some ideas off the top of my head. Any others are welcome.

BowStreetRunner
2015-12-13, 08:03 PM
Some of the intended and unintended consequences of using Distracting Embers that might occur as the result of the specific positioning of the elemental might include forcing an ally to take a -4 penalty for shooting into melee at any target adjacent to the elemental, preventing any enemy adjacent to the elemental from taking 10 on a skill check, and of course the elemental can sometimes be placed in such a position as to create more than one flanking situation for you and your allies.

Nosta
2015-12-13, 08:18 PM
you could use it to make money by entertaining the folks so you can collect money to give to the poor

NomGarret
2015-12-13, 09:50 PM
Creme brûlée?

Jack_Simth
2015-12-13, 10:34 PM
Additionally, it's occasionally useful to have a disposable target. For instance, if you have a weapon with the Vampiric property from Magic Item Compendium, or Wrathful Healing from Enemies and Allies (3.0).