PDA

View Full Version : Creating Dracula

SirNMN
2015-12-14, 03:32 AM
all books are on the table just let me know which ones you are referencing I don't know all the abbreviations.
he will be introduced as mr. Tepes
Human + half dragon need ideas on what kind
he was turned at level five
I am using the 32 point buy system
6 levels of fighter (willing to change)
3 levels of master Vampire
need at least 1 level of caster for master vamp to work off of
looking to make him hard CR 19 as such I am buffing his dominate person to monster none of the party are humanoids, and all the corpse crated feats applied to him and he was created in a desecrated area might spell stitch him. That leaves me 4 or five level to play with, so any thought on how to take him to the next level let me know

Âmesang
2015-12-14, 05:01 AM
"His name means 'Mr. Impaler'! Of course he's trustworthy!"

Anyway… perhaps the vampire lord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) template might help? Though you'd have to do a bit of converting from 3.0 to 3.5.

If ought else fails… rip off Strahd von Zarovich (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061006a&page=2) (who's more-or-less a rip off of ol' Vlad, so I guess it comes full circle?).

LoyalPaladin
2015-12-14, 11:13 AM
If ought else fails… rip off Strahd von Zarovich (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20061006a&page=2) (who's more-or-less a rip off of ol' Vlad, so I guess it comes full circle?).
Yeah, I'm a big fan of just using Strahd. He's the iconic D&D vampire overlord!

Gamey Geemer
2015-12-14, 11:23 AM
I would, should you be fine transitioning stuff from pathfinder, go full Magus.have most of the creation gold go to items that buff up stats (Int strength and charisma primarily, but all of them are important)

Pick some spells like reduce and grow subject and use them on yourself. Then just play him like a highly "persuasive" individual.

Willie the Duck
2015-12-14, 11:25 AM
Depending on interpretation, he could also be a bard, or a fallen paladin/blackguard. Other than not being a spellcaster before he died, there isn't much consistent in the backstory because it changes with each telling.

Flickerdart
2015-12-14, 11:25 AM
Dracula is very much not a CR 19 threat as described in the books, given that he's defeated by a bunch of normal folks with sticks. Dracula also didn't create minions, which is what you seem to be going for with Master Vampire.

The first step to make a vampire awesome is the vampire lord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) template, which tweaks everything vampiric up to 11. More potent special attacks, broader shapeshifting and weather controlling capabilities, telekinesis and telepathy as befits the plane-level threat that a CR 19 creature represents.

illyahr
2015-12-14, 03:28 PM
The problem we have is that, from the Dracula book, everything he does is explained as a Lvl 5 fighter with the Vampire template added. Prince Vladimir Tepes, son of the Dragon, was a powerful warlord who protected Walachia from the Ottomon Turks. He was particularly bloodthirsty, setting all captured enemies up on wooden stakes. Hence, the nickname "Vlad the Impaler." He really doesn't do much other than be the only vampire known to the protagonists.

If you want a hardcore Dracula, use Dracula from the original Castlevania series (pre- Lords of Shadow). Powerful spellcasting, legions of monsters at his command, a main-line connection to the Negative Energy plane, the ability to resurrect himself after being destroyed, the strength of a demon. That's a plane-level threat.

hamishspence
2015-12-14, 04:03 PM
Dracula is very much not a CR 19 threat as described in the books, given that he's defeated by a bunch of normal folks with sticks. Dracula also didn't create minions, which is what you seem to be going for with Master Vampire.

There were his three brides, and Lucy, as "created junior vampires". And Mina is partway-through the transformation process when it's stopped by Dracula's being properly killed.

There's hints that he was trying to do something with Renfield as well.

In the book, he walks around in sunlight just fine - but what he can't do is use his special powers during the day. And I think he has to spend some time in his coffin. So they catch him while still in his coffin (which is being transported by wagon to Castle Dracula and kill him (not with stakes, but with a bowie knife and a kukri).

Van Helsing goes through a big list of accomplishments that Voivoide Dracula did before his death and return (attending the Scholomance school of sorcery taught by the Devil was one), lists his vampire powers, and opines that he has lost much of his memory with his transformation, and has a "child-brain" (but is getting more dangerous over time).

AMFV
2015-12-14, 04:17 PM
The problem we have is that, from the Dracula book, everything he does is explained as a Lvl 5 fighter with the Vampire template added. Prince Vladimir Tepes, son of the Dragon, was a powerful warlord who protected Walachia from the Ottomon Turks. He was particularly bloodthirsty, setting all captured enemies up on wooden stakes. Hence, the nickname "Vlad the Impaler." He really doesn't do much other than be the only vampire known to the protagonists.

If you want a hardcore Dracula, use Dracula from the original Castlevania series (pre- Lords of Shadow). Powerful spellcasting, legions of monsters at his command, a main-line connection to the Negative Energy plane, the ability to resurrect himself after being destroyed, the strength of a demon. That's a plane-level threat.

I would call this, the Level 5 fallacy. We see this when people try to model Aragorn (as with that essay). Yes it is possible to create a level five version of Dracula who can do everything we see in the books. But there's no reason you couldn't create a higher level threat, if that's what you need for the narrative, we shouldn't go for a model based on accuracy (that's going to be a muddle anyways), we should go for a model based on narrative need and how we need the character to fit into the narrative.

Yes, Dracula in the books wasn't a plane shaking threat, but if he was in another book, he could have been. He's the primary antagonist, he's defined by the skill of the people he needs to antagonize, not by his own skill.

Dracula in most representations (Castlevania included), is a schemer, so that should play into it. If he's a fighters, he's a cunning and strategic one rather than a brute. He also tends to both enjoy operating in the shadows and taunting his opponents. He plays games, he turns people very slowly, he strikes a target he cares less about before moving on to his real target. He has a significant hubris in that. His hubris tends to be his downfall in most interpretations, and is in many of them justified, "Do you seek to battle with me, I who commanded armies before you were born" (Although that's probably a butchering of that quote). His tactical knowledge may be outdated (as was Khan Noonian Sinh's, so he may have similar flaws in his plans).

Since he starts out as a childlike mind, he should become gradually (or rapidly as your narrative requires) a more and more serious threat. In fact they (the players) might not even need to see him as the real threat until the end. I would have another big bad, and then in the end reveal that it was really Dracula pulling the strings as it were.

hamishspence
2015-12-14, 04:29 PM
"Do you seek to battle with me, I who commanded armies before you were born" (Although that's probably a butchering of that quote).

He says something along those lines to Mina, with them in the room:

“And so you, like the others, would play your brains against mine. You would help these men to hunt me and frustrate me in my designs! You know now, and they know in part already, and will know in full before long, what it is to cross my path. They should have kept their energies for use closer to home. Whilst they played wits against me - against me who commanded nations, and intrigued for them, and fought for them, hundreds of years before they were born - I was countermining them. And you, their best beloved one, are now to me, flesh of my flesh; blood of my blood; kin of my kin; my bountiful wine-press for awhile; and shall later on be my companion and my helper. You shall be avenged in turn; for not one of them but shall minister to your needs. You have aided in thwarting me; now you shall come to my call.”

AMFV
2015-12-14, 04:30 PM
He says something along those lines to Mina, with them in the room:

I was actually thinking of the movie where Bela Lugosi says something slightly closer to mine, but since I'm paraphrasing a paraphrase I feel better about it.

hamishspence
2015-12-14, 04:33 PM
Movies do tend to modify things somewhat - though some match up scenes to the book versions a bit better than others.

Offhand I can't think of a Dracula movie that showed him with a long moustache when Jonathan Harker first meets him - though Bram Stoker's Dracula does get the "much younger in London, and with a small beard" bit right.

(Un)Inspired
2015-12-14, 05:45 PM
First I would go crusader. Crusader is like the perfect class for Dracula from his life before he was a vampire. He's a warrior in a religious war, that says crusader to me.

Then You gotta stick him into Ur Priest. In the Book it was said he studied at Scholomance. That's such a ridiculously great Spot for an Ur Priest to have trained. That'll give him plenty of powerful magic and make him incredibly deadly at physical combat.

Tvtyrant
2015-12-14, 06:00 PM
Human Vampire Lord Binder/Ur-Priest/Tenebrous Disciple/divine anima mage seems right to me. Remember that he is constantly surrounded by millions of rats, in amounts which infest entire cities. So he uses Zceryl to make infinite dire rats while being a potent mage.

SirNMN
2015-12-14, 08:44 PM
"His name means 'Mr. Impaler'! Of course he's trustworthy!"

Anyway… perhaps the vampire lord (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/mm/20021018a) template might help? Though you'd have to do a bit of converting from 3.0 to 3.5.
Vampire lord is just what I was looking for thank form pointing me in the right direction

That is what I was thinking and why I thought he should be CR 19, since he was son of the Dragon is why I am making him half dragon, and some spell casting always make the big bad scarier as it frees up a lot of options

Since he starts out as a childlike mind, he should become gradually (or rapidly as your narrative requires) a more and more serious threat. In fact they (the players) might not even need to see him as the real threat until the end. I would have another big bad, and then in the end reveal that it was really Dracula pulling the strings as it were.

They have been dealing with other problems for a while now but have recently just noticed/ started paying attention to the fact that a lot of the people in high places are being controlled by or are vampires acting behind the scene. they different groups of vampires are of refer to themselves as being of this one color faction or another that relate back to what type of dragon Dracula's father was if any of them can make the knowledge history check

Human Vampire Lord Binder/Ur-Priest/Tenebrous Disciple/divine anima mage seems right to me. Remember that he is constantly surrounded by millions of rats, in amounts which infest entire cities. So he uses Zceryl to make infinite dire rats while being a potent mage.

where is Tenebrous Disciple I know of Tenebrous Apostate is that what you mean? Also if he goes anima mage we does the arcane spell casting come from?

Thank as well to anyone who I don't have a direct response to.

RaistlinSees
2015-12-15, 01:31 AM
Ive been searching on how to play a Dracula like character, great topic

illyahr
2015-12-15, 11:37 AM
That is what I was thinking and why I thought he should be CR 19, since he was son of the Dragon is why I am making him half dragon, and some spell casting always make the big bad scarier as it frees up a lot of options.

Not son of a dragon, son of the Dragon. His father took the moniker of the Dragon as a means to strike fear in his foes. The Tepes line were bloodthirsty masters of psychological warfare. Every move was calculated to strike fear. That fear would prevent attacks, thus sparing his people.

Dracula was a brilliant tactician, a powerful warrior, supposedly a master of the black arts, and worshiped as a hero by his people. This is a man who got his enemies to quake in fear at the mere mention of his name.

@AMFV: I think you missed my point a bit. I was trying to explain that the Dracula book by Bram Stoker really doesn't give us much. I actually agree with you that he should be scaled up a bit, but Bram Stoker didn't give us much to go on that the Vampire template doesn't mostly give.

SirNMN
2015-12-15, 03:46 PM
Not son of a dragon, son of the Dragon. His father took the moniker of the Dragon as a means to strike fear in his foes. The Tepes line were bloodthirsty masters of psychological warfare. Every move was calculated to strike fear. That fear would prevent attacks, thus sparing his people.

I understand that it was just a moniker, but in a world were actual dragons exist are you really going to call you self one when your not sound like a bad idea to me. That is why I am shifting it to a dragon also the + 8 strength is fun

Dracula was a brilliant tactician, a powerful warrior, supposedly a master of the black arts, and worshiped as a hero by his people. This is a man who got his enemies to quake in fear at the mere mention of his name.

Considering he is a mighty warrior and master of the dark arts hexblade or duskblade might make sense as it they both have spell casting and full BAB, plus curses are fun

Âmesang
2015-12-15, 04:26 PM
I, on the other hand, would go with ex-paladin/blackguard prestiged into "life drinker" from the Book of Vile Darkness with the vampire lord template — not the most optimized… like, at all… but its flavorful, though since BoVD never received a 3.5 errata (that I'm aware of) I'm not sure how to alter the class' damage reduction alterations (besides just increasing the number).

…though it I suppose it might make him a bit too Lord Soth-y.

illyahr
2015-12-15, 04:26 PM
Considering he is a mighty warrior and master of the dark arts hexblade or duskblade might make sense as it they both have spell casting and full BAB, plus curses are fun

Hmm Hexblade or Duskblade with a splash of Binder, maybe? According to fantasy lore, Dracula bound the power of the Underworld to his very soul, so I'm liking the Tenebrous Apostate line that Tvtyrant mentioned. I agree that Ur-Priest is also a good choice as it fits with his rejection of divinity itself.

SirNMN
2015-12-15, 06:08 PM
According to fantasy lore, Dracula bound the power of the Underworld to his very soul, so I'm liking the Tenebrous Apostate line that Tvtyrant mentioned. I agree that Ur-Priest is also a good choice as it fits with his rejection of divinity itself.

Tenebrous Apostate doesn't seem quite right either as Tenebrous is still some what divine, Ur priest is along the right line, just need to find the right balance

I, on the other hand, would go with ex-paladin/blackguard prestiged into "life drinker" from the Book of Vile Darkness with the vampire lord template — not the most optimized… like, at all… but its flavorful, though since BoVD never received a 3.5 errata (that I'm aware of) I'm not sure how to alter the class' damage reduction alterations (besides just increasing the number).

…though it I suppose it might make him a bit too Lord Soth-y.

I hadn't opened book of vile darkness before. now that I have I don't think he real gets what I want from it and a lot of what it provides he would already be getting from the Vampire lord template. The Warrior of Darkness might be what I am looking from or some mix of that and Ur-Priest

dantiesilva
2015-12-15, 11:31 PM
I once made a similar character (though he was level 20 something) and had him start of as a paladin/Rogue. Odd I know, however once he was able to he prestige classed into Shadowbane Inquisitor which has some cool abilities that are useful, including an AoE ability that does small damage, but to a decent area. Once he hit Shadowbane inquisitor 10, I had him bit by a vampire and saying he was a cleric of pelor at the time fall, which led to his first level as blackguard. My DM read shadowbane inquisitor as counting as a paladin for the blackguard special ability table so I was able to transfer all his paladin levels in for blackguard levels, while still gaining all the bonuses of a 10th level fallen paladin, and 10th level abilities of a shadowbane inquisitor due to them not losing their abilities from falling. When I showed him to the boards years ago they compared him to Xantos from Gargoyles. I hope this helps you some.

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 12:08 AM
I once made a similar character (though he was level 20 something) and had him start of as a paladin/Rogue. Odd I know, however once he was able to he prestige classed into Shadowbane Inquisitor which has some cool abilities that are useful, including an AoE ability that does small damage, but to a decent area. Once he hit Shadowbane inquisitor 10, I had him bit by a vampire and saying he was a cleric of pelor at the time fall, which led to his first level as blackguard. My DM read shadowbane inquisitor as counting as a paladin for the blackguard special ability table so I was able to transfer all his paladin levels in for blackguard levels, while still gaining all the bonuses of a 10th level fallen paladin, and 10th level abilities of a shadowbane inquisitor due to them not losing their abilities from falling. When I showed him to the boards years ago they compared him to Xantos from Gargoyles. I hope this helps you some.

its worth a thought, using some of the prestige classes for paladins where does shadowbane inquisitor come from? might be a little to lord Soth

dantiesilva
2015-12-16, 12:31 AM
Complete adventure I believe.

Azoth
2015-12-16, 12:51 PM
Maybe something like Half Dragon (red) Vampire Lord Human Crusader2/Swordsage3/Ur Priest2/Master Vampire3/Ruby Knight Vindicator5. It hits the 15 class levels you wanted, gives good martial prowess showing his time as a soldier and conquerer before being turned while hinting at mysticism leading up to his turning, afterwards it shows his time spent mastering his vampiric nature and the dark arts. He is just a hair shy of full blown 9th level casting though. So that may/may not be a drawback to you.

I know RKV needs to worship Wee Jas, but as DM you can handwave that requirement or even just repurposed it to another more fitting being like an Arch Devil. My other though was to refluff Raven Knight and turn its light abilities darkness based, and change its smite to affect the living instead of Undead. It has higher BAB, but loses the fun of maneuvers.

For that build I would probably do something like Hexblade2/Paladin of Tyrany4/Ur Priest 2/Master Vampire3/Knight of the Raven4. It gets 7th level spells and has almost full BAB. It isn't as flashy as the RKV build, but is still solid and with the shadow companion, a Vexing Weapon, and the Paladin of Tyrany's aura should be quite the menace if taken toe to toe.

illyahr
2015-12-16, 02:13 PM
I wish I knew what a Knight of the Raven was. Otherwise, those two builds look really good.

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 02:20 PM
I wish I knew what a Knight of the Raven was. Otherwise, those two builds look really good.
Knight of the Raven is an undead-fighting class from Expedition to Castle Ravenloft. It's got two things going for it - full BAB and 9/10 divine casting, and a neat raven companion you can use to trip up foes while you smash their faces. You have to be Good though, so Dracula isn't a great fit, nor is a Paladin of Tyranny/Hexblade base.

Azoth
2015-12-16, 02:53 PM
You can easily flip Knight of the Raven around to being Anti-Living. Change the Light based powers to working off of darkness, and flip Smite Undead to Smite Living. Boom evil version.

Also it has no alignment restriction. Entry Reqs are BAB +4, can cast 1st level divine spells, and a peaceful prayer vigil with an existing Knight. All can be done while being Evil.

I will admit the second build isn't as strong as the first build, and even the first build isn't insanely strong. I was mainly trying to shoe horn an Ur priest Gish together that used Master Vampire and worked with a Dark dictator/warlord feel. Not my best work.

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 03:39 PM
Also it has no alignment restriction.
Literally the first line of the prerequisites is "alignment: any good."

Azoth
2015-12-16, 03:42 PM
Sorry I was viewing it on the old D&DTOOLS archive. It was missing that requirement.

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 04:07 PM
Maybe something like Half Dragon (red) Vampire Lord Human Crusader2/Swordsage3/Ur Priest2/Master Vampire3/Ruby Knight Vindicator5. It hits the 15 class levels you wanted, gives good martial prowess showing his time as a soldier and conquerer before being turned while hinting at mysticism leading up to his turning, afterwards it shows his time spent mastering his vampiric nature and the dark arts. He is just a hair shy of full blown 9th level casting though. So that may/may not be a drawback to you.

I know RKV needs to worship Wee Jas, but as DM you can handwave that requirement or even just repurposed it to another more fitting being like an Arch Devil. My other though was to refluff Raven Knight and turn its light abilities darkness based, and change its smite to affect the living instead of Undead. It has higher BAB, but loses the fun of maneuvers.

For that build I would probably do something like Hexblade2/Paladin of Tyrany4/Ur Priest 2/Master Vampire3/Knight of the Raven4. It gets 7th level spells and has almost full BAB. It isn't as flashy as the RKV build, but is still solid and with the shadow companion, a Vexing Weapon, and the Paladin of Tyrany's aura should be quite the menace if taken toe to toe.

these look awesome I wish I had seen them before I had finish this I meant to post it last night
I might use one of them for his cohort that he gets through leadership as a vampire lord
so my build is as follows 3 hexblade/ 1 fighter/ 3 binder/ warrior of darkness 4/ Master Vampire 3

before anyone judges it I haven't bought Items, or invested skill points yet

Hexblade
1st +1 +0 +0 +2 Hexblade's curse 1/day
2nd +2 +0 +0 +3 Arcane resistance
3rd +3 +1 +1 +3 Mettle the important one
Fighter
1st +1 +2 +0 +0 Bonus feat
Binder
1st +0 +2 +0 +2 Soul binding (1 vestige) 1st
2nd +1 +3 +0 +3 Pact augmentation (1 ability), suppress sign 1st
3rd +2 +3 +1 +3 — 2nd
The warrior of darkness
1st +1 +2 +0 +2 Black magic oil Malign fury; character can take a full attack action in conjunction with a move or move-equivalent action, usable 3 rounds per day.
2nd +2 +3 +0 +3 Darkling weapon any + 1 enhancement with 3 round of preparation hours per level
3rd +3 +3 +1 +3 Black magic elixir (not sure which) I will use
4th +4 +4 +1 +4 Black magic oil (Rapid step; character gains inherent +10 ft. bonus to speed.)
Mster Vampire
1st +0 +2 +0 +2 More spawn, turn resistance +1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd +1 +3 +0 +3 Enhanced spawn —
3rd +1 +3 +1 +3 Master’s chosen +1 level of existing spellcasting class

Human Half dragon Red augmented undead
Hit Die 15d12 +48 (144)
Initiave +10
Speed ground 40 air 60
Armor class (10+6Dex+16+dex +equipment)
Touch 16 flat footed 26
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+25
Attack: Slam +25 slam (1d6+13 plus energy drain)
Full Attack: Slam +25 (1d6+13 plus energy drain) + 20 bite (1d6+13 plus energy drain) 2 claw (1d4+13 plus energy drain)
Special Attacks:
Domination (Su): As base vampire, except that a vampire lord can do this either by gaze or voice. It does not require line of sight to the target, but the target must be able to hear the vampire lord's voice when it speaks at a normal volume level. (26 DC)

Energy Drain (Su): As base vampire, but a living creature hit by a vampire lord's slam attack takes 3 negative levels.

Blood Drain (Su): As base vampire, but a vampire lord's blood drain inflicts 1d4+2 points of Constitution drain each round the pin is maintained.
Children of the Night (Su): Vampires command the lesser creatures of the world and once per day can call forth 1d6+1 rat swarms, 1d4+1 bat swarms, or a pack of 3d6 wolves as a standard action These creatures arrive in 2d6 rounds

Special qualities
Alternate Form (Su): A vampire lord can assume the form of any animal, as the druid ability wild shape used by a 12th-level druid. The vampire lord can use this power at will as a move-equivalent action. The vampire lord can change from one animal shape to another without having to revert to its humanoid form.
Children of the Night (Su): As base vampire, but the creatures summoned forth serve the vampire lord until released. Further, the vampire lord can sense through the senses of any such commanded creatures, and communicate empathically with them, to a range of 10 miles.
Control Weather (Sp): A vampire lord can cast either control weather or fog cloud as a 12th-level sorcerer at will.

Create Spawn (Su): As base vampire, but vampire lords create only vampire slaves, never vampire spawn. The new vampire is enslaved to the vampire lord until its master's death, and the willpower of the vampire lord is too strong to allow it to break free of its enslavement.
Damage Reduction (Ex): A vampire lord is extremely tough; it has damage reduction 10/+3.
Fast Healing (Ex): As base vampire, but a vampire lord heals 8 hit points each round so long as it has at least 1 hit point. It has 24 hours to reach a place of rest (rather than 2 hours) if brought to zero hit points. A vampire lord can have many places of rest prepared, since the only requirement is some soil from its homeland (the place where the base vampire was born).

Telekinesis (Su): A vampire lord can use telekinesis (caster level 12th) at will.

Telepathy (Su): A vampire lord can communicate telepathically with any living creature within 100 feet that has a
language, and with any vampire under its direct control to a range of 1 mile.

Turn Resistance (Ex): +8 +(# of vampire in 60 feat)
Fort 22 ref 22 Will 22
Str 38 Dex 22 Con -- int 20 wis 14 cha 26

bluff + 30 craft (whatever) +7 diplomacy +30 gather information +9 hide +28 intimidate +30 knowledge arcana +11 listen + 10 move silent + 28 profession (undecided)+8 ride +13 search +13 sense motive +24 spellcraft +7 spot + 10
skill trick Never out numbered, Timely Misdirection

Feats
1. power attack (human)
2. stand still (1st level )
3. Improved toughness (fighter)
4. mage slayer (3rd )
5. Alertness, (Vampire)
6. Combat Reflexes, (Vampire)
7. Dodge, (Vampire)
8. Improved Initiative, (Vampire)
9. Lightning Reflexes (Vampire)
10. ability focus (6th )
11. Iron Will (Vampire Lord)
12. Leadership (Vampire Lord)
13. Imperious Command (9th)
14. Improved trip(12th )
15. _______

illyahr
2015-12-16, 04:21 PM
With the vampires DR and d12 HD, I don't think Improved Toughness does much that everything else doesn't cover. Also, Mettle is only half as effective since he would be immune to most things that require a Fort save.

Also, if you wait on the Ability Focus, you can take Improved Binding to allow higher-level vestiges and can skip the 3rd level of Binder (it really doesn't do much for you).

Other than that, the build looks pretty good. You mind if I use it?

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 04:31 PM
With the vampires DR and d12 HD, I don't think Improved Toughness does much that everything else doesn't cover.
A d12 HD is only 6.5 hit points per level, equivalent to that of a cleric or ranger with a middling CON score or a rogue with a solid one. And they can buy a +6 CON item to boost that. The undead have no such luxury without Unholy Toughness, which is not that easy to get. So Improved Toughness, while not a spectacular choice, seems reasonable.

Does FMI work on undead?

illyahr
2015-12-16, 05:00 PM
A d12 HD is only 6.5 hit points per level, equivalent to that of a cleric or ranger with a middling CON score or a rogue with a solid one. And they can buy a +6 CON item to boost that. The undead have no such luxury without Unholy Toughness, which is not that easy to get. So Improved Toughness, while not a spectacular choice, seems reasonable.

Does FMI work on undead?

It's not just the HD. DR 10/silver and magic is fairly substantial. Improved Toughness will only add 14 HP. It makes a decent filler feat, but it isn't really all that impressive.

Also, what is FMI?

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 05:03 PM
With the vampires DR and d12 HD, I don't think Improved Toughness does much that everything else doesn't cover. Also, Mettle is only half as effective since he would be immune to most things that require a Fort save.

Also, if you wait on the Ability Focus, you can take Improved Binding to allow higher-level vestiges and can skip the 3rd level of Binder (it really doesn't do much for you).

Other than that, the build looks pretty good. You mind if I use it?

most thing but not things like disintegrate so it still has value and you can bet that they will have the appropriate spells.

Yes you can use it that why I posted it as a whole rather than in part, well that and to let people pick point out the weaknesses or any mistakes I made also it should be noted that this version was turned in an area with a Desecrate alter for the extra hit points

Does FMI work on undead?

What is FMI and where is it from? Also any way to get Unholy Toughness would be great

Lastly I changed my mind about him being made by someone Corpsecrafter feat chain makes it isn't fair to add those with out increasing his CR depending how long the party takes to get to him he might pick them up again but for now they are gone

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 05:06 PM
It's not just the HD. DR 10/silver and magic is fairly substantial. Improved Toughness will only add 14 HP. It makes a decent filler feat, but it isn't really all that impressive.

Also, what is FMI?

vampire lord says DR 10/silver and +3

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 05:10 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate is a feat from some dragon or another that has one of the benefits as "Int to HP instead of CON." I can't recall what the specific wording is, so I don't remember if it works for undead.

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 05:21 PM
Faerie Mysteries Initiate is a feat from some dragon or another that has one of the benefits as "Int to HP instead of CON." I can't recall what the specific wording is, so I don't remember if it works for undead.

No there are plenty of books we don't need the dragon magazines as well

illyahr
2015-12-16, 05:31 PM

Is that from a 3.0 or 3.5 source? I don't know of any 3.5 material that gives DR/+x

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 05:42 PM
Is that from a 3.0 or 3.5 source? I don't know of any 3.5 material that gives DR/+x
Vampire Lord is 3.0, and web content (so he was never updated). It makes sense to give him the same DR type as a standard vampire.

zergling.exe
2015-12-16, 05:48 PM

In 3.5 all DR/+x was changed to DR/magic.

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 05:49 PM
In 3.5 all DR/+x was changed to DR/magic.
Which I feel is sort of dumb, as it really nerfs high-level monsters. When everyone and their mother has an enchanted everything, writing "15/magic" on a monster is just wasting ink.

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 05:59 PM
Which I feel is sort of dumb, as it really nerfs high-level monsters. When everyone and their mother has an enchanted everything, writing "15/magic" on a monster is just wasting ink.

I agree so I think I will let him keep the better their weapons should have the needed enchantment level or maybe a scroll of antimagic

illyahr
2015-12-16, 06:00 PM

We're of the same mind on this one. Giving a CR 14 monster DR X/magic is a waste. By the time an adventurer is level 3 or 4, they should have at least one +1 weapon. You could have DR 30/magic and a level 4 hero can still get around it.

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 06:06 PM
There's one argument I can see for DR/magic on everything - low-level dudes shouldn't be able to even touch powerful beings like dragons without having some magic behind their blade. Except oodles of HP and high ACs on these beasties already do that job just fine.

One thing it does do is require natural weapon users to invest into their weapons to stay relevant, but that's pretty niche.

illyahr
2015-12-16, 06:12 PM
One thing it does do is require natural weapon users to invest into their weapons to stay relevant, but that's pretty niche.

Monktastic!

SirNMN
2015-12-16, 07:14 PM
Monktastic!

Please tell me you are multiclassing or going prestige otherwise I out preform you with my kobald

SirNMN
2015-12-17, 06:27 AM

I was looking at make his chort and saw that the sun shadow ninja from the Tome of battle turns into a vampire with out the sunlight weakness if they abuse there capstone ability, might make a good second in command as he can walk around in the day light with out any problems.

that or a evil cleric focused on buffing undead what do people think?

illyahr
2015-12-17, 10:22 AM
Shadow Sun Ninja is an interesting class. It might be an interesting plot development that the party is trying to "cure" Dracula by trying to retrieve his soul.

SirNMN
2015-12-17, 02:14 PM
Shadow Sun Ninja is an interesting class. It might be an interesting plot development that the party is trying to "cure" Dracula by trying to retrieve his soul.

some parties I have played with might do that but this one is a mix of neutral and evil.