PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Antimagic fields & Epic characters

Lekgolo137
2015-12-14, 07:44 AM
Hey, I'm currently mastering a game that's been going on for more than 3 years, my players hit level 26 recently.

One of my players (the only full-spellcaster, and the only with epic spellcasting) wants to research about a workaround to antimagic fields, one of the few things that are still a pain in the ass to the party when they encounter one.

First of all I would like to know if there is any actual workaround already in any handbook.

They only things I can think of are:
- Counterspelling: Problem, you have to be present at the time of the casting, and be able to counterspell it.
- Mordenkainen's Disjunction: Problem, it only has a 1% chance of dispelling an antimagic field, plus it can be problematic if you want some magic item that is inside of the field. And you can't cast it while inside of the field.
- Invoke Magic (Lords of Madness spell): Very nice workaround, the problem is it only works with spells of 4th or lower level.

There is any other way to get past an antimagic field (i.e. to destroy it, to be immune to it's effects, or to be able to cast non-epic spells inside of it)?

This player also proposed to develop an epic spell to achieve this.

Out of all the epic seeds the only one I think that could be of use is Ward, which you can use to "nullify" the effects of a specific spell, but I'm not sure how it actually works, I mean, does it work like Greater Spell Immunity? In that case it wouldn't work because you get unbeatable spell resistance regarding the specified spell, which is useless against Antimagic Field.

He could also use the Dispel seed to create a spell that destroys the field, but that would be either too generic (epic dispel, which I don't want to allow) or to silly (a epic dispel that only dispels antimagic fields?).

I know that as a DM I can just make up whatever I want, but I'd like to follow the rules wherever possible, and leave that as the last resource.

Your thoughts?

Deophaun
2015-12-14, 07:56 AM
There is the Initiate of Mystra feat, but that requires levels in Cleric and worshiping Mystra, which requires playing in Forgotten Realms so you've already lost. :smallwink:

Otiluke's suppressing field might--might--cancel out an antimagic field. It's weird because the way they're written either can cancel out the other.

And then there's the option to be outside the AMF and cast instantaneous conjuration spells at anything inside. That works.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-14, 08:06 AM
Since epic spells are not suppressed by AMF, could you not just dispel it with something from the dispel seed? Iirc the ward spell makes you immune to the effects, but I could be wrong; I'm at work atm, so I can't research too heftily.

Alternatively, just Invoke Magic and teleport out of range of the spell and throw orbs at the caster until the problem solves itself, haha.

ryu
2015-12-14, 08:26 AM
Fabricate a lead cone large enough to stand over and mix with shrink item and permanency. Congrats. You now have the magical Hat of Immunity to Anti-Magic Fields.TM*

*Note not really TM as this idea is already all over the place.

Âmesang
2015-12-14, 08:33 AM
Reminds me of wanting to create a continuous mind blank item out of tinfoil. :smalltongue:

While I absolutely enjoy the idea of an "epic dispel" (albeit with a slightly more creative name), especially if it deals backlash damage as a result of "channeling such awesome forces" …my next thought would be an epic spell utilizing the ward seed. Since antimagic field exists in spell form it should be a valid target, and if utilized at caster level 30+ should be utterly unfazed by antimagic field in every way (since they make 1d20+20 dispel checks against epic spells, and such a spell would have a dispel DC of 41+).

I know epic spells can get really wonky, but in some ways I think they're almost expected of a party to be wielding… at least, such as this case, if they want an "easy" means of dealing with certain enemies (like antimagic field-radiating colossi).

Lekgolo137
2015-12-14, 08:36 AM
Actually, epic spells may be suppressed by AMF, they work pretty much like the Initiate of Mystra feat:

Antimagic field does not automatically suppress epic spells as it does standard spells. Instead, each time an epic spell is subject to an antimagic field, make a dispel check as a 20th-level caster (1d20 + 20). The epic spell has a DC of 11 + the epic spell’s spellcaster level. If the suppression check is successful, the epic spell is suppressed like any other spell. If the dispel check is unsuccessful, the epic spell functions normally.

We're not playing in Forgotten Realms, but I guess I could adapt the feat to a deity of my setting.

And I already mentioned that a generic "Epic Dispel" could work, it's just that a do not want to allow such a spell, because it could be potentially to powerful.

And about the Otiluke's Suppressing Field, I think it's purpose is to give spell resistance to an area (for example, if your CL is 20, the area of the spell has SR 31 against a specific school or descriptor).

Lhurgyof
2015-12-14, 08:49 AM
The invoke magic spell from Lords of Madness is a good place to start, it allows you to cast a single spell of 4th level or lower in an anti magic field.

Lekgolo137
2015-12-14, 08:52 AM
The epic spell with the Ward seed is the most appealing idea so far, but I have a doubt.

The basic use allows you to create an immobile sphere so it won't be that useful.

BUT, alternatively, the caster can ward just the target and not create the radius effect.

This raises a question: You would be protected against the AMF, but would you be able to cast spells? I don't think so, as it only protects you, if you cast, say Magic Missiles, they still would be suppressed by the AMF.

Âmesang
2015-12-14, 09:42 AM
Just make it a really BIG, immobile area! :smallbiggrin:

EDIT: Of course, alternatively, I think it'd be possible to turn it into a targeted/touch/personal/whatever spell and then use factors to turn it back into an area-of-effect centered (and mobile) on the caster. Maybe?