PDA

View Full Version : STR Wizard (Artificer)

Maxilian
2015-12-14, 08:09 AM
Hello everyone! well... we are starting a new campaign for those days that not everyone can make it (so we can still play but whoever is missing won't be left behind), so... i wanted to make something to go into melee with (mostly cause my party right now is going to be a Psyon and a Warlock), i know that Wizard is a strange option for a melee character but... is just that the spell "Enlarge" have a special place in me :P, well... i just want 2 wizard lvls (we are starting lvl 3), so i can go Artificer (UA Eberron) and be able to create the Potion of Growth (No concentration!), still not set about the race (I was thinking on Shifter cause when they shift they get an attack that grapple anyone its hits as long as its your size or smaller, and the potion of growth will help you make sure they are, at least, your size), what i'm not sure about is... what to go after, i was thinking Rogue, cause i can get Expertice to make my grapple check more dangerous), but if i go with Rogue, i won't get SA from the Shifter's attack (not like i'm going to use it all the time -Short/long rest cooldown-)

Coyote81
2015-12-14, 09:30 AM
This is a really odd thought, but wouldn't it be great to play ranger beastmaster and give your growth to your pet? Play Minotaur, get a free racial shove that can take advantage of being large and getting advantage of strength checks. This gives you lots of options to use your growth potions.

Maxilian
2015-12-14, 09:58 AM
This is a really odd thought, but wouldn't it be great to play ranger beastmaster and give your growth to your pet? Play Minotaur, get a free racial shove that can take advantage of being large and getting advantage of strength checks. This gives you lots of options to use your growth potions.

I was thinking about the Minotaur (a really good option) but the shove option of the minotaur can only be used to push (that will break the grapple) -would be way too good if you could use it to throw someone prone, and yes, i was thinking about the ranger (I really like BM, but i would need at least 5 lvls) -2 wizard and 3 Ranger-, that would solve my HP problem though :P

Onerai
2015-12-14, 10:13 AM
The Artificer is notably good for grapple-centric builds as your enlarge potion doesn't end if your concentration is broken, so you have the makings of something good here.

A friend of mine also had significant fun as a durable, semi-front-line wizard by playing a mountain dwarf. Whenever the enemy got around the rest of the group looking for the squishy caster at the back, they instead found a healthy dwarf in medium armour who proceeded to smash their faces in with an axe repeatedly :smallbiggrin:

Gignere
2015-12-14, 08:27 PM
I suggest a barbarian multi typically I don't recommend barb multi with any caster but in this case since you can keep buff without concentration it would be an awesome combo. Also when you rage you'll get advantage on strength checks which is basically almost expertise. You should probably nab tavern brawler eventually.

Maxilian
2015-12-15, 09:10 AM
I suggest a barbarian multi typically I don't recommend barb multi with any caster but in this case since you can keep buff without concentration it would be an awesome combo. Also when you rage you'll get advantage on strength checks which is basically almost expertise. You should probably nab tavern brawler eventually.

The buff also gives you advantage on strength so that's just an overkill, but if you still get the extra size and now you can carry a lot (and if you go bearbarb and take the extra carry capacity, well... You could carry a giant ball of stell and use it as an improvised weapon... i wonder if it will just do a 1d4? :P )

djreynolds
2015-12-16, 04:35 AM
Not getting shoved or knocked over is always a boon.