PDA

View Full Version : An Entertaining Fellow (Wander Inn Mission)

Nettlekid
2015-12-14, 09:27 AM
Alana de Marchia (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=637918)
Syldarin (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=640308)
Haseid Hundred-Hands (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=633429)

It's early afternoon, and the Wanderers Haseid and Syldarin find comfort in the shade of the tall trees of the jungle, though the humidity doesn't do much to cut the heat. They set out on their quest shortly after their peers Elariel and Rilele came to this same area, though it would have been difficult to coordinate the trips. After all, the last day of travel has had to be on foot, since the carriage was forced to turn back due to the underbrush. The air is humming with live, insects and small mammals crawling over the trees looking to eat each other. The depth of the forest is intimidating, as is its enigma.

You've been given the mission from the owner of the apothecary in the market district, Doctor Philippus Theophrastus Titch, a Grig alchemist of some renown and owner of the Green Thumbelina. Although as a Fey Doctor Titch has more experience than most with the forest and with gathering in the wild, he is truthfully born in this city, while his mother, the original Green Thumbelina and a far superior alchemist, is the one who brought herbal knowledge of the Fey from the forest. Doctor Titch has discovered a lost research book from his mother, something ancient and from her first days as a studying biologist. It is a notebook filled with descriptions of fungi, various mushrooms and toadstools and truffles, remarking on the lethality versus medical potential of each. Many of the most lethal turn out to have potent antiviral capabilities if prepared correctly. But what Doctor Titch is most curious about is this: the Jengwort. There is very little listed about its location, but it is apparently underground. It is a short, fat toadstool with a bright blue cap speckled with yellow rings, and with little brown fronds hanging from the tip of the cap. It must be handled delicately because it is eager to release spores, and is somewhat temperamental. According to the book, the Jengwort is able to cure any kind of disease, regardless of origin or magical component. But most formidable is that a potion vial made from the stem of the Jengwort is able to adapt to whatever alchemical item is added to it, and once keyed to a specific item it can transform ordinary water into that item. It would only last as long as the water is in the vial or immediately after consumption, but this is still an incredible discovery. The Jengwort is supposedly incredibly rare, it may be unique, Doctor Titch supposes. And that's why he's tasked the Wanderers with tracking it down and returning a sample to his store.

Deadguy
2015-12-14, 12:19 PM
The white-haired woman wiped the sweat from her brow. She used her polearm to balance herself as she walked over the damp and moss covered tree roots. She eyed each animal they encountered warily.

"At least we've not come across any large predators." She spoke the thought aloud. Quietly, she was glad to be in the company of a skilled woodsman, having no training in it herself, even if he was an ice elf in a sweltering jungle.

She glanced to her other companion, the giant, half expecting to have had him turn around with the cart when the undergrowth started to become too thick.

http://i.imgur.com/vcj6ppq.jpg?1
F LN Draconic Azurin Gestalt, Level 5, Init 4, HP 57/57, Speed 30
AC 24 (+6 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect, +1 Natural, +4 Misc), Touch 17, Flat-footed 22, Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 5
Base Attack Bonus 5
+1 Glaive +9 (1d10+5, x3)
MW Silvered Morningstar +9 (1d8+3, x2)
Abilities Str 16, Dex 14, Con 17, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 18
Condition None

Arudin
2015-12-16, 01:42 PM
"Bah," Haseid responds. "Could use a break from this trek. How can you even tell where we are, Syldarin? Everything looks the same to me."

As he moves forward, he brushes back the encroaching plants with one hand, loosely wrapped up in his spiked chain. One childhood incident with poison sumac was more than enough for him, thank you very much. And there's little doubt in his mind that an annoying rash would be the least of his worries with these plants.

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-16, 07:01 PM
Syldarin, fanning himself with a stray Elephant Ear leaf that he was reasonable sure not to be poison, hesitated, before replying in his regular light tones.
"I'm at very least reasonably certain that we're on the correct path. That pink flower with the toxic fumes a short while back was in the description, and the moss on that tree over there indicates that our cardinal directions are correct, besides the general wind flow. Perhaps I could ask some of these little fellows to see if they've heard anything on the local grapevine?"
He made a mild gesture, before closing his eyes, focusing on the ways of the linguistically talented dolphin, restoring his readiness to use it again should the occasion call for it, and then calling out more boldly in the animal tongue, still fanning himself.
"Hey there, everyone! I've got healing for your wounds, restorations for your poisonings, and rations for your hungers. Any of you have any information on one fungus I've been looking for? Short, robust little toadstool, bright blue cap with yellow rings, and brown thingies hanging from the top? "

Casting my readied Extended Speak with Animals, then re-readying it as a full round action just in case. Taking ten on any relevant survival checks, since we aren't actively threatened yet, for a result of 20, taking into account the bonus for being in an above ground natural environment.

Nettlekid
2015-12-16, 08:29 PM
Syldarin's call echoes through the trees, and is responded to with a roar of chatter. There's the flapping of wings as birds flock to the nearby trees, whose trunks are covered with sharp-clawed lizards or hanging mammals.
"Food? Food? Food, food, food?!" is the resounding response, as the animals clamber over one another. They seem extremely excited.
"Blue, bright blue! Me! Me! Blue!" cries out a macaw, spreading its wings to prove its color. "You said blue, feed blue!"
"I am yellow ring, you feed me, you give me food!" a python declares, slithering down from a tree and looping around itself. "You sssee, you sssee how yellow ring?
"No, me, me, brown hanging! You said brown hanging, me, me!" a lemur interrupts, hanging from a nearby branch. "Hungers! Hungers for brown hanging!"

A large bird, at first looking like it's covered with thorns but on closer inspection merely wreathed with bony protrusions, bursts through the underbrush. The smaller animals scatter in the presence of this formidable predator. But it doesn't attack any. It seems preoccupied.
"Fire! Fire, in the heart! Run, fly, fire!"
It coasts around the party, not ceasing its movement but doubling back to take a look at each of them.
"What, what are these? Not normal, not here. Does not climb or swim or fly, stands? Walker? Why here, walkers make fire?" The Dire Hawk circles you suspiciously.

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-16, 09:00 PM
Syldarin seems mildly unnerved by the excitability of the animals; up north, they were much more deliberate. In retrospect; further, he may have been a tad hasty is calling to the skies rather than whispering to the moles. One consequence of his unfamiliarity with jungle was that he was entirely unprepared for such a large response, in that they were more giants than little fellows. He blinked rather rapidly when he heard the cawed fire, and airily said without the spells infusion-
"The big bird just mentioned a fire in the heart; presumably of the forest. Also, you may have jinxed us. "
Then continued with the spell's power, understandable to both animal and humanoid, while attempting to communicate with maximum efficiency-
"Food must wait if there is a fire, so that fire can go away. I am an ice walker, not a fire walker. I couldn't start a fire if I tried. But, since I am an ice walker, I can use ice magic, and make fire go away. Not hurt anybody. Other walkers also not fire walkers, they help me, ice walker. If you, mighty eagle, lead me to fire, I can make fire go away. Good for everybody. Concern ourselves with other stuff when not in pressing circumstance."

Therre are too many of them to make any wild empathy checks, but my modifier is +6, if that influences anything.

Nettlekid
2015-12-17, 12:58 PM
The hawk still circles warily.
"What is ice? What is ice walker? Walkers can make fire, it is what they do. But if you know fire, you can kill fire. You, kill fire now. Those which crawl and spit cannot alone."
Making sure you have an eye on its trailing tail feathers, the hawk turns back toward where it came and bids you to follow.

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-17, 07:22 PM
Syldarin hurriedly follows, careful not to brush up against the more toxic specimens. His manor was controlled, despite the degree of anxiety that came from being around moderately disagreeable, and large, creatures. He lightly beckons for his guild-mates to accompany him, and speaks.
"Follow the bird, if you would so please. The animals don't seem to be much help with mushrooms, but this one is leading us to the heart of the forest, and, well, it wouldn't be shocking if that was where the specimen was, or where the entrance to it's cavern was, particularly since the wording implied a measure of importance. Oh, and there's a fire, but that shouldn't be too terribly onerous to deal with; my way of the orca combined with the way of the skua should be able to manage, combined with some more minor ways of the fish to control the spread. Any help would be appreciated."

Deadguy
2015-12-18, 09:30 AM
Alana seemed unsettled at the colophony of animal sounds that happened when the ranger spoke. As the monstrous bird made it's appearance, she held her weapon in the ready position, expecting an attack.

As her companion translated the animal's intent, she lowered her weapon but had a skeptical look upon her face. "So, it wants us to follow it into a blazing forest fire?"

She looked back toward the giant of a man again, to check his reaction to the unfolding events.

AC 24 (+6 Armor, +2 Dex, +1 Deflect, +1 Natural, +4 Misc), Touch 17, Flat-footed 22, Fort 8, Ref 4, Will 5
Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-19, 09:31 AM
Syldarin continued to deliberately exclude the way of the dolphin from his voice, as he began following the eagle, resuming his self fanning and expecting his companions to follow. His voice was airy, yet somehow rigid.
"That would seem to be the intent. In any case, if we want to get this mission accomplished it would be for the best if the entire jungle didn't burn down, so we would have to put it out anyways. We'll just have to put it on ice, as the case may be. Now come along, if you please, so that you don't end up stranded without someone that knows nightshade from goodberries. I dislike being blunt, but I am not having the death of thousands of innocent plants on my conscious."

Arudin
2015-12-19, 05:53 PM
Haseid nods slowly as he follows behind. "Better to take care of this now," he agrees. "Wouldn't do to find out that we've failed the mission because we didn't handle this blaze early enough."

Continuing, he adds, "But I, for one, will be staying a little ways away while you work your magic. Nothing in my repertoire for stopping a forest fire. Well... besides whipping this thing about like a fan maybe."

Nettlekid
2015-12-20, 04:39 PM
The party follows the Dire Hawk through the underbrush. It's slow going for the adventurers cutting through the difficult terrain, and the hawk has to circle back a number of times. After about a half hour of the rough hustle, the party comes to an enormous split in the ground, where an earthquake had broken through to an underground cavern. The hawk bids the group to continue moving, and it takes another half hour to reach an area where the trees begin to thin. The party arrives at the edge of a wide marsh, with what looks like a small village built of stilts rising out from the center a few hundred feet away. This edge of the marsh is festooned with charred wood and ash, which in turn is soaked with damp swamp water. Across the way, they can see where the fire is spreading, keeping only to the edge of the circle but beginning to creep further and further into the actual forest as its fighters are running out of steam. The firefighters in question are a band of about fifty Muckdwellers, collapsing over each other in a panicked ball as they spray water from their bellies over the flame, the origin of which eludes them as new fires keep sparking in adjacent underbrush.

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-20, 09:02 PM
"I was wondering why it hadn't spread to half the jungle by now, but I suppose that's been answered. Those poor, poor trees."
Syldarin's face was a carefully controlled, utterly blank expression, yet there was a depth of melancholy in his eyes that was difficult to see.
"At least they'll fertilize the soil with their dessicated corpses. In any case, I believe it's time to snuff the candle, as the case may be. Like those trees' lives...."
He carefully frowned at the swampy water, and then proceeded to begin sprinting on the edge of that particular niche ecosystem, where the jungle trees and the marsh water met. Once he reaches 130 feet or so away from the nearest patch of flame, his hands begin waving in a complex motion, and arcs of turquoise light begin spreading from his hands, forming a large disk of light. Channeling the largest of the dolphins, the orca, the killer whale and destroyer of sharks, he drew back his hand, flush with the natural energies involved, as the disk condensed it into a thin cyan beam that, once reaching the flame, decondensed into a billow of ice shards and chill fog, snuffing the involved flame. Further, he aimed for roughly ten feet high, so that the haze could reach most tree tops, while the melted ice doused the flames on the underbrush. Renewing himself, he absorbed the ambient energies involved, then took advantage of the circular nature of the involved marshy area, sprinting to a different angle when needed and then repeating the above until the fire was extinguished.

Deadguy
2015-12-21, 09:59 AM
The red-eyed woman watched her ranger companion freeze the area while noting the natives also attempting to fight the blaze.

Not to be outdone, she moved forward but kept a good distance from the dancing flames. The heat flushed her skin as she gestured quickly, conjuring a large globe of water in the air and let it crash down over the area.

She continued to do this as she walked down the burn line.

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Actions: Orison - Conjure Water (10 gallons)

Nettlekid
2015-12-21, 03:56 PM
The scampering Muckdwellers flee in panic as their natural predator, the Dire Hawk, bursts out from the bushes. Between the frigid haze binding ice to wood and waterlogging the burning tinder, and gallon after gallon of water appearing in midair and striking at the heart of the flame, the Wanderers are able to cut off the spread of the fire as it started to edge deeper into the forest and then stamp out that at the edge of this marshland. At last all is smoky, but still.

The Muckdwellers, immediate panic subsided, now turn to address the new potential threat. They form a small barricade before you, stacking on top of each other. The ones on the bottom start making a ululating growl, which becomes louder and louder as all the Muckdwellers in the little wall join in.

Archmage1
2015-12-21, 06:09 PM
Reinforcements? Well... at least they're working well as a distraction. But what's taking Rilele so long in there... I'd have thought fifteen minutes was more than long enough. I don't think I could have kept the fire under control for too much longer. But... maybe she ran into trouble? And maybe these can help?

Elariel comes out, smelling slightly of smoke, and joins the other guildites.
"Hello, everyone. I'd ask why you're here, but I think help is welcome. See that temple? Rilele went in, and hasn't came out, and it's been a while. The fire's been a good distraction, but... not good enough."

If you want a description, there's a link to the sheet in my spoiler sig

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-22, 02:50 PM
Syldarin fidgeted slightly at the presence of what seemed to be a fire elf, who he was predisposed against by nature, but he overcame it. He began blinking rapidly when he heard mention of a 'distraction'. He spoke lightly as ever, pointing to the massed horde.
"I suppose they're what you're trying to distract? Considering the fact that they're clearly invasive to the area, and putting undue stress on the local ecosystem, I have no qualms dealing with them directly, which we will likely have to do. I mean, really; we're four reasonably potent mages, they're a large number of minor individuals that are conveniently grouped together for spells with area effects."

Deadguy
2015-12-22, 03:13 PM
With the task at hand complete, she paid attention to the new arrival. Actually, not new, according to her own story, but waiting. Alana pondered that for the briefest of moments before glancing to the temple the Fire Elf had mentioned.

She then glanced between the lizard-like creatures and to where the giant bird had gone to.

"I don't see a point in massacring an entire village of sentients. They had at least enough knowledge to know that the fire would damage the area and attempted to put it out."

She turned her attention back to the Fire Elf. "Why were you and... Rilele, was it? Why were you sent to the jungle? We're after a particular mushroom, ourselves."

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-22, 03:18 PM
"If you have any suggestions that don't end with them slaughtering us, I'll be happy to follow them."
Syldarin said, before turning to the Fire Elf in anticipation of an answer.

Archmage1
2015-12-22, 05:05 PM
Elariel looks at Syldarin in surprise as he casually suggests killing all of the muckdwellers.
"Murdering a village that doesn't seem to be harming anyone is rather beyond the pale. Unless you really want hundreds of deaths on your conscience, probably including ours, I'd suggest a non-explosive solution."

When Alana asks her question, and agrees with Elariel, the fire elf seems glad for the distraction.
"We're looking for a piece of fallen star, which has likely been given to the creature residing in the temple. She was supposed to be sneaking through the muckdwellers, as they were distracted by the fire, but I expected her back by now."

As for plans... Elariel shakes her head.
"I don't suppose you can persuade that hawk to be quite distracting? And maybe we could sneak in? They really don't seem to like it."

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-22, 06:00 PM
"Do they look particularly like they go beyond the reaches of this marsh to you? Or like they're at all native to this area? This is an isolated niche, where a plethora of species, predator and prey, normally survive. Do you see any other predators? They're clearly outcompeting everything else, whatever niche they're filling. Then they happen to be actively threatening us with physical violence. Oh, nevermind. Let's divert them, if you all would prefer."
Syldarin, not quite understanding the objections of his fellows to removing the dangers, invoked the somewhat obscure (to him, at least) ways of the crocodile, chanelling the marsh and the murk through himself to form a small warp in space, directly to the side of the mound. Through that oddly shimmering warp came an eleven foot crocodilian, scampering towards the piles and audibly growling.

Using my readied extended summon nature's ally 2.

Archmage1
2015-12-22, 06:10 PM
Elariel looks rather concerned.
"Ah... you do realize that we're in a swamp? And that these are Muckdwellers who live in swamps? And..."
At that point, the crocodile appears, and she sighs.
"You do know that there are hundreds of them, right?"

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-22, 06:16 PM
"Yes, exactly. There are hundreds of them, and a 90% decline in energy over each tier of the energy pyramid. I somehow doubt that this is a sustainable situation, particularly since I'm reasonably certain they're third to second tier consumers. And of course it's ineffective, you didn't want me to use the effective solution. If we moved they probably would have blasted us, now they should be distracted."
Syldarin said, watching the mounds reaction.

Arudin
2015-12-22, 11:03 PM
"Is this really all that different from early human settlements though? Or elves, or orcs, or dwarves? Like XXXX said, they're clearly intelligent. Don't judge them for their ignorance as they're crawling their way to the top of the food chain. We can relocate them somewhere once this is all over. Or you can come and try to teach them the basics of sustainable living or whatever. Let them learn from our makes." Haseid chimes in.

Continuing, he adds "But back to the matter at hand. Let's see if this will help." He cups his hands around his mouth and whistles, creating the illusion of screeching dire hawks echoing from the surrounding trees.

Free Action: Ghost Sound (Direhawks) - However many are equivalent to 20 humans

Having trouble opening my sheet, awful internet connectivity while I'm on vacation. Could someone let me know in the OOC if Haseid has one of the Image (Silent, lesser, etc) spells readied?Honestly can't remember

Edit: Finally loaded, but no luck. Just Ghost sound then

Nettlekid
2015-12-23, 05:55 PM
Upon the summoning of a hated predator, the crocodile, the pile of Muckdwellers begins spraying water with the collective roar of slowly compressing horns. Even to a creature accustomed to the water, the Muckdweller's precision in their spitting causes it to be blinded. At the cry of Haseid's illusory hawk the lizards scatter, some running further into the forest, most running back toward the village, and some standing their ground against the four intruders. One in particular calls out something in scratchy, mangled Draconic.
"The Giant! The Giant! Bring the Giant, the Giant will kill!"
There are only six Muckdweller left out of the two dozen or so which were gathered before you, but they're posturing aggressively.

Archmage1
2015-12-28, 01:37 AM
Elariel quietly moves out of the way, ducking into some concealment.
[roll0] Stealth

Archmage1
2015-12-30, 07:27 PM
Seeing the other Guildites standing there, just looking, Elariel tries whispering to them, just loud enough for them to hear.
"Are you planning on waiting for their Giant to show up? It may be the creature from the temple, potentially, a being that they regard as a god. Simply waiting might not be the best choice."

Nettlekid
2016-01-02, 10:56 AM
Most of the Muckdwellers keep posturing at the newcomers, while a few bait around the crocodile, hoping to distract it. Not seeing immediate aggression from the humanoids they're wary, but do not make the first move. From the distance there is a tooting, as one Muckdweller with a bone necklace and a warrior's horn in its mouth runs at top speed across the marsh, blowing the horn with each panting breath.

"The Giant comes, the Giant comes!"
The other Muckdwellers cheer, then growl at the humanoids. Shortly behind the tooting Muckdweller you see him: The Giant. He is a six foot tall brown-scaled Lizardfolk, holding a bladed bone club in one hand and a shield made out of hard animal shell in the other. Two brightly colored frills flare up on the back of his neck, and the Muckdwellers cheer again.

"Who are you, you who dare? Who dares into this land come? I, Varan, the Giant, will stamp out the threat! I, Varan, the Giant, will rip meat from bone! We, the Walkers and Swimmers, will drink warmblood today!
This is met with a mighty cheer from the Muckdwellers.

Archmage1
2016-01-02, 02:31 PM
Still keeping out of sight, Elariel shakes her head at the lizardfolk's rather self obsessed posturing.
That's rather sad. Perhaps lacking in intelligence, so potentially a sorcerer, or potentially just a fighter? He seems rather hostile, but don't think this approach is going to work, unless we are willing to kill all of them. Perhaps bargaining? But... I've always been quite horrible at bargaining...

Deadguy
2016-01-04, 07:43 AM
At the lizardfolk's brash and threating movements, she leveled her polearm in it's direction.

"Can anyone translate, or shall we just cross steel and be done with it?"

She glanced to each of her companions in turn, unsure of their flare for languages or politics. They were most definitely not her area of expertise.

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Archmage1
2016-01-04, 04:50 PM
The hidden Elariel looks disappointed.
Do none of them speak Draconic? It's such a simple language. Although the gutturals can be a bit tricky. It's designed for larger throats.

The formerly hidden Elariel re-emerges.
"I can."
With that, she turns to The Giant, and responds in perfect Draconic.
"We are, and we do. I am called Elariel, and we come seeking a shard of starmetal, and some specific mushrooms. I take it that you are the one living in the rather fancy lair?"

Nettlekid
2016-01-04, 10:05 PM
Just to be clear, it's not like he knows Draconic and just can't speak it. He's speaking a (simplistic) language which is a derivative of Draconic, and so it sounds rough to you. It's like if you're speaking Latin and he's speaking Spanish.

Varan whips his head to face Elariel, emerging from the bushes.
"You come for...starmetal? Starmetal, metal of...stars? Sky? We have none, no metal of sky. Metal of ground, some, and metal of water. But metal of sky? Ha, foolish! Sky has no metal, sky has bird and cloud! Hahaha! Foolish!"
The Muckdwellers gurgle in laughter at Varan's prompting.
"Seen my castle? Yes, glorious, befitting me, Varan, the Giant! The Walkers and Swimmers, they know I am great, and they bring me fishes and hard things to bite! For they know I am chosen! I am chosen by the Green Master, he who sees me and knows me to be great, as he is great. For the Green Master, I rule the Walkers and Swimmers!"

Archmage1
2016-01-05, 03:19 AM
Elariel shakes her head.
"The hot rock that you retrieved from the caves. Who's the Green Master?"

Nettlekid
2016-01-08, 11:45 AM
"I, Varan, the Giant, retrieved no stone from a cave! I, Varan, the Giant, stay in the village and guard the Walkers and Swimmers! They hunt and they fetch and they do my bidding! They find stones, yes, and they find jewels, yes, and they find fish and meat, yes. Hot skymetal rocks, hah, no! We are the Walkers and Swimmers, we are not the Flyers, fool!

The Green Master is greater than all! He is greater even than me, Varan, the Giant! One eye sees all the past, and one eye sees all the future, and he knows your mind with his third. His breath turns the wheel of the seasons, and his words create the law of nature. He has named me, Varan, the Giant, mightiest creature of this land! And I may only bear that title as he is not of the land, but of the Spirit Realm, for he is far mightier than I."

Archmage1
2016-01-08, 05:05 PM
Elariel thinks.
This green master... some sort of more powerful creature? Possibly a diviner? Or an illusionist? Perhaps better if we avoid it?

"This one was on the ground, after it fell. There were tracks leading back to your village."

Nettlekid
2016-01-08, 05:11 PM
"You look for a rock found on the ground? There! There is the rock on the ground. Look, another! And another! You must have the eyes of a mole, for you cannot even find a rock on the ground! Foolish! Hahaha!"
The Muckdwellers are loving this.

Archmage1
2016-01-08, 05:13 PM
Elariel shakes her head, before she gives directions back to the cave.
"We found evidence of it there, and that it was recovered by Muckdwellers."
She seems to be close to losing her temper, but is fighting to keep it under control.

Nettlekid
2016-01-08, 05:25 PM
"The Walkers and Swimmers collect much, for them and for me and for the Green Master. Why should I, Varan, the Giant, be concerned with a stone on the ground in the water from the sky? I have more stones. Big stones! And things better than stones, even!

Besides, what business have you with what we have? It is ours, it belongs to us. You are not us, no thing of ours belongs to you. And it will not. I would not give even a stone to a fool."

Archmage1
2016-01-08, 05:37 PM
Elariel smiles, a grim smile.
"If it is of no use, perhaps you might be interested in trading for it? We could give you two rocks, and double the size of your collection of useless stones!"
She seems slightly calmer, as he mocking ends.

Nettlekid
2016-01-08, 05:59 PM
Varan snorts. "If skystone is useless then why would you want it? Except that you are a fool, yes, but that still doesn't explain. Yes, I, Varan, the Giant, would trade stone or fish or jewel for something I want. But I will not hold my breath that you can find something of interest to me, something that the Green Master cannot provide. And I can hold my breath a lone time. Still I will not do it."

Archmage1
2016-01-08, 06:04 PM
Elariel shakes her head.
"No, no, you described it as being beneath concern, and if it truly is, then what harm is it for you to accept a trade? Or are you one of those people, unable to accept a trade, because while it does mean getting something, you must give something up in return?"

Nettlekid
2016-01-08, 06:47 PM
"Will trade if want to. If good for the Walkers and Swimmers. Don't want to yet. Make me, Varan, the Giant, want to." Varan makes a "gimme" gesture with his claw.

Deadguy
2016-01-09, 11:43 AM
Alana watched the two banter back and forth in the unknown language. She quirked an eyebrow at the reptiles body language and groping action.

"What, exactly, are you conversing about?"

She still held her weapon in hand, expecting the diplomatic approach to go south without warning.

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Archmage1
2016-01-09, 03:18 PM
Reminded of her companions, Elariel turns back to them.
"The lizardman, Varan, seems to have the starmetal I'm seeking, but he wants something useful for his people in exchange for it. He also seems to serve a being greater than himself, who he refers to as Green Master. I don't suppose you have something useful that he might be interested in that's a bit easier to replace than my healing belt?"

Deadguy
2016-01-10, 02:35 PM
The white-haired woman seemed to ponder that for a moment before reaching into her pack.

"I had a feeling I'd need this, but for my own comfort, not to barter away. Hopefully, we won't be out here long enough for me to need extra rations."

She showed the leather satchel. "Everlasting rations. Will produce enough food for one person our size each day."

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Archmage1
2016-01-10, 04:07 PM
Elariel smiles at the white haired woman.
"Thank you. I'll pay you back, if this works, so you can get a replacement, and I believe I can probably keep us both fed here as well."

She turns back to Varan, and speaks in draconic once more.
"We have a useful item for you. It will provide food, enough to feed one person per day, every day. Does that seem to be an acceptable trade?"

Nettlekid
2016-01-10, 07:28 PM
Varan all but shouts in Elariel's face with derisive laughter.
"I ask you to entertain, and you offer food? Food for one, in a day? HAH! All that breathes can be made food, the Walkers and Swimmers know this! They fetch fish and game and give it to me, Varan, the Giant, as is my right! You offer food enough to feed one man, but I, Varan, the Giant, eat as much each day for ten men! And when I want more, the Green Master provides with a wave of his hand. You do not interest me with your can of food! You insult me with it!"

Archmage1
2016-01-10, 07:34 PM
Elariel's face flushes with rage for a moment, but she manages to get it under control after a moment or two.
"You asked for something more useful than a rock, and that is what I offered. Perhaps you have something specific in mind?"
Or perhaps this isn't going anywhere...

Deadguy
2016-01-11, 08:20 AM
Alana didn't need to speak a language to understand that the offer wasn't accepted.

"Why are we dealing with a middle-man. If this lizard says someone else actually controls this area, we should speak to them."

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Archmage1
2016-01-11, 03:29 PM
Elariel responds to Alana, explaining her reasoning.
"Right now, we're relatively isolated from the rest of the village, and only near a few of the muckdwellers. If we are to negotiate with his master, we will likely be fully inside the village, which will reduce our options, as the balance of force will definitely favor them."

Deadguy
2016-01-19, 09:31 AM
Alana glanced at the tiny lizards and then to the actual lizardfolk before speaking.

"I don't think we have to worry about them being a physical threat, in any amount of numbers. Besides, we might be able to quickly complete two missions. This being may know where the mushroom we seek is as well as your stone."

Base Attack Bonus 5
Condition None

Archmage1
2016-01-19, 10:29 AM
Elariel frowns, then nods.
"As you wish, then."

She turns back to the Lizardman.
<Draconic>
"Would it be possible for us to meet with the Green Master, directly? Perhaps we'll be able to come to some sort of arrangement?"

Nettlekid
2016-01-19, 11:25 AM
"Hmf, the Green Master is of great and unknowable power. Only others who are great like me, Varan, the Giant, could stand in his gaze. You, strange and foolish Walkers who seek stones from the sky on the ground, are not fit to bother the Green Master! Nonsense creatures, you are lucky even I, Varan, the Giant, waste my time with you."
It seems like Varan isn't exactly convinced you're impressive enough to deal with. You could try offering something to him that he would be unlikely to know and that whatever this nature-magic Green Master is couldn't reproduce, or win him over with pleasantries. Alternatively, you might be able to overpower him and simply storm the camp, though who knows what reaction the Green Master would have to that course of behavior?

Archmage1
2016-01-19, 11:45 AM
Elariel shakes her head, before turning to Alana, speaking in common.
"It doesn't sound like he's willing to take us there, at present, as he doesn't feel that we deserve such a thing. We could, potentially change his mind, with a sufficient show. I'm pretty good with fire, but I'm not sure if me making a demonstration is a good idea, as there was a forest fire here recently, which could lead to an unfortunate link between them. Alternatively, we could beat him up, but that might or might not work."