PDA

View Full Version : Duels at High Noon. (Idea for a new rule)

dascarletm
2015-12-14, 03:38 PM
I recently got some interest from my players to run a Wild West campaign in pathfinder. So to research I've been watching a lot of old western movies. One of the few things I think would be missing is the classic duel between two gunslingers. They stand across the town (at high noon of course), they draw, and one goes down. This is usually done in one-shot, and while higher level gunslingers gain an ability to pool a bunch of damage in one shot, I can't see this being done well in pathfinder or DnD 3.5.

I do recall the Iaijutsu Focus skill from 3.5's Oriental adventures, and was wondering if this would be an adequate rule. Let me know what everyone thinks. Additionally do you think it would be best served staying solely within duels, or should I let players implement the mechanic in regular combat, but against flat-footed opponents. Do you all think this will have the desired effect?

Duels

When dueling an opponent use the following rules:

First, both characters stare each-other down, giving them each the opportunity to role an opposed intimidate. If one character beats the other by 5 or more they inflict a -2 to attack roles in the duel. Players may substitute a d20+BaB+Ability Mod of their choice in place of an intimidate. If they do they cannot inflict a penalty on their opponent.

Second, each character rolls initiative. They may take a penalty to their BaB (up to their BaB total) and apply it as a bonus to the initiative roll. If both characters roll the same initiative they act simultaneously on the next step.

Third, the characters in initiative order gain a standard action to attack a target of their choice. If they hit, they gain bonus damage based on the attack roll total. (As per Iaijutsu Focus).

If combat continues re-roll initiative and run it as normal.

Pardon any errors in grammar/spelling. I'm not proof-reading myself.:smalltongue:

Cirrylius
2015-12-14, 04:39 PM
Deadlands went into this in some detail, if you're willing to do some translating.

It also discussed the why behind the conventions involved, which I found interesting- even in the west, dueling was still illegal, so the object of the contest was to bluff your opponent into drawing first, not shooting first, since if you could do both, you were killing in self-defense and got off scott-free. It became a big deal if you weren't a very good gunslinger and just killed him outright, because 1) now the locals know you're not a good gunslinger, and 2) they're still obligated to try to arrest you for killing a man in cold blood.

dascarletm
2015-12-14, 04:42 PM
Deadlands went into this in some detail, if you're willing to do some translating.

It also discussed the why behind the conventions involved, which I found interesting- even in the west, dueling was still illegal, so the object of the contest was to bluff your opponent into drawing first, not shooting first, since if you could do both, you were killing in self-defense and got off scott-free. It became a big deal if you weren't a very good gunslinger and just killed him outright, because 1) now the locals know you're not a good gunslinger, and 2) they're still obligated to try to arrest you for killing a man in cold blood.

Interesting that's not something I knew. I think I'll need to rewrite this to reflect that. If I can get my hands on deadlands that would be great. It doesn't have an SRD does it?

Thank you by the way.