PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next New Battlemaster Maneuvers

Ruslan
2015-12-14, 04:33 PM
EDIT: added level requirements for some maneuvers.
EDIT 2: added more maneuvers in post #7

This is step 1 in my Battlemaster overhaul - more maneuvers. P.E.A.C.H.

All names are tentative.

Dispelling Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to interrupt the target's concentration. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target has Disadvantage on any saves to maintain concentration until the beginning of your next turn.
EDIT: Requires level 9

Bleeding Strike
When you hit a living creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to create a bleeding wound. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll. At the beginning of your next turn, roll the superiority die again and deal this much damage to the target due to bleeding. This additional damage is dealt even if you're incapacipated.

[NOTE: The only maneuver with no effects other than more damage. Well, sometimes all you need is more damage ...]

Mighty Throw
You can expend one superiority die to throw a weapon you are proficient with that doesn't have the thrown property. The range of this attack is 30/60. If the attack hits, you add the superiority die to the weapon's damage.

Action Before Thought
When you make an Initiative check, you can expend one superiority die to add the number rolled on the die to your Initiative result. You can use this maneuver before or after making the Initiative roll, but before the DM announces initiative order.

Bulwark of Defense
During your turn, you may use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to give yourself a bonus to Armor Class equal to half the number rolled on the superiority die (round up) until the start of your next turn. If you move any distance, this benefit ends prematurely.

Blinding Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to blind the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution save or become blinded until the end of its next turn.
EDIT: Requires Level 15

Exhausting Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to exhaust the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution save or acquire one level of Exhaustion.

Befuddling Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to confuse the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom save. On a failure, the first attack made by the target during its next turn targets a random creature the target can see within its reach or range. The target is unaware of this effect until it occurs.
EDIT: Requires Level 15

Covering Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to make the target slow to react. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution save. On a failure, the target can't take reactions until the start of your next turn.

Shield Bash
If you're wielding a Shield, you may use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack with your shield against a creature within 5'. For the purpose of this attack, you are proficient with the shield as a weapon. If the attack hits, it deals 1d4 + your Strength modifier damage.

Bodyguard's Maneuver
When an adjacent ally is damaged by an attack from a creature you can see, you can expend one superiority die and use your reaction to interpose yourself in way of harm. The attack damages you instead of the ally. Reduce that damage by the number you roll on your superiority die.

Mettle
When you make a Constitution, Dexterity or Strength saving throw, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the saving throw roll, but before the DM announces if it was a failure or a success.

Mental Fortitude
When you make a Wisdom, Charisma or Intelligence saving throw, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the saving throw roll, but before the DM announces if it was a failure or a success.

[NOTE: Can possibly merge Mettle and Mental Fortitude into one?]

Push Through Adversity
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to ignore the effects on any one of the following conditions for 1 round: Charmed, Frightened, Exhausted, Poisoned

Hearing the Air
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to automatically sense any invisible or hiding creatures within 60' that don't have total cover from you. Until the start of your next turn, you suffer no penalties when targeting those creatures with attacks, and they gain no benefits targeting you.

Burst of Speed
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to take the Dash action.

BRC
2015-12-14, 05:27 PM
Some of these are FAR too powerful, In my opinion.

Take Befuddling Strike. That's a damage boost, plus a Confusion effect. The Confusion effect not only has a good chance of depriving the target of their action, but also putting damage on an enemy target, if used right.

The existing battlemaster manuevers, when used without context (On a flat, featureless plain), generally take the form of Additional Damage+Save vs Inconvenience. The Most immediate example is Menacing Strike, which prevents the target from advancing, and gives disadvantage on attack rolls while they can see the Fighter.

Or, Take your Blinding Strike example. A Blind enemy cannot attack as well (Disadvantage) AND cannot defend themselves (Advantage on attacks against them).

With the PhB battle master maneuvers, you would need to use two separate maneuvers to get this effect. Tripping Strike (To give melee attacks advantage against the target) and Menacing Strike (To give the target disadvantage on attack rolls).

You have combined the power of two Maneuvers into One. In exchange, you have lost two minor parts of the other maneuvers (Depriving the opponent of half their move, and preventing them from moving towards the Fighter).

Personally, I would stay away from the Damage+Condition maneuvers, unless your goal is to make the Battlemaster more powerful.

BRC
2015-12-14, 05:41 PM
I'll just walk through the list, actually.

This is step 1 in my Battlemaster overhaul - more maneuvers. P.E.A.C.H.

All names are tentative.

Dispelling Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to interrupt the target's concentration. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target has Disadvantage on any saves to maintain concentration until the beginning of your next turn.

Reasonable. It temporarily simulates the Mage Slayer feat IIRC, but I think a superiority die+Manuever choice is worth it to have limited access to a feat's functionality.

Bleeding Strike
When you hit a living creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to create a bleeding wound. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll. At the beginning of your next turn, roll the superiority die again and deal this much damage to the target due to bleeding. This additional damage is dealt even if you're incapacipated.

[NOTE: The only maneuver with no effects other than more damage. Well, sometimes all you need is more damage ...]
This seems fine. An extra superiority die of damage is pretty big though, so I would give the target a Constitution save vs the bleed effect (calling the Bleeding effect about equal to, say, the trip effect of Tripping Strike). Also, Bleeding effects are generally Necrotic damage, so that should be specified.

Mighty Throw
You can expend one superiority die to throw a weapon you are proficient with that doesn't have the thrown property. The range of this attack is 30/60. If the attack hits, you add the superiority die to the weapon's damage.

Works for me.

Action Before Thought
When you make an Initiative check, you can expend one superiority die to add the number rolled on the die to your Initiative result. You can use this maneuver before or after making the Initiative roll, but before the DM announces initiative order.

A little Weak, but hey, sometimes you just have to go first.

Bulwark of Defense
During your turn, you may use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to give yourself a bonus to Armor Class equal to half the number rolled on the superiority die (round up) until the start of your next turn. If you move any distance, this benefit ends prematurely.

Yeah No. With Bounded Accuracy, AC gains are MUCH bigger in 5e.

Consider, it's not hard for a fighter to have 18 AC without too much trouble. This would let you spike your AC up to 25 or higher, which makes you basically invulnurable to most attacks for an entire round.

The closest equivalent is Shield, which is strictly +4, on a class that does not lend itself to as high an armor class.

Blinding Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to blind the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution save or become blinded until the end of its next turn.

Talked about this above. Too Powerful.

Exhausting Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to exhaust the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution save or acquire one level of Exhaustion.

Could be overpowered in a drag-out fight, since Exhaustion can get really nasty when it starts stacking up.

Befuddling Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to confuse the target. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Wisdom save. On a failure, the first attack made by the target during its next turn targets a random creature the target can see within its reach or range. The target is unaware of this effect until it occurs.

Nope. Too powerful.

Covering Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to make the target slow to react. You add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll, and the target must make a Constitution save. On a failure, the target can't take reactions until the start of your next turn.

This has potential. Similar to "Manuevering Strike", but you don't let an ally move, and you deprive the target of ALL Reactions. Seems fine to me.

Shield Bash
If you're wielding a Shield, you may use a bonus action and expend one superiority die to make a melee weapon attack with your shield against a creature within 5'. For the purpose of this attack, you are proficient with the shield as a weapon. If the attack hits, it deals 1d4 + your Strength modifier damage.

If somebody intends to Shield Bash, I think there's a feat for that. Still, this seems fine, if underpowered.

Bodyguard's Maneuver
When an adjacent ally is damaged by an attack from a creature you can see, you can expend one superiority die and use your reaction to interpose yourself in way of harm. The attack damages you instead of the ally. Reduce that damage by the number you roll on your superiority die.

Seems fine to me. It could chew through your superiority die fast.

Mettle
When you make a Constitution, Dexterity or Strength saving throw, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the saving throw roll, but before the DM announces if it was a failure or a success.

Mental Fortitude
When you make a Wisdom, Charisma or Intelligence saving throw, you can expend one superiority die to add it to the roll. You can use this maneuver before or after making the saving throw roll, but before the DM announces if it was a failure or a success.
Unsure about these two. They're very strong abilities. Maybe don't let the fighter decide to spend the die AFTER the roll is made. Make them decide before.

Push Through Adversity
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to ignore the effects on any one of the following conditions for 1 round: Charmed, Frightened, Exhausted, Poisoned

Frightened, Exhausted, or Poisoned I understand. Charmed does not quite work from a flavor perspective.

Hearing the Air
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to automatically sense any invisible or hiding creatures within 60' that don't have total cover from you. Until the start of your next turn, you suffer no penalties when targeting those creatures with attacks, and they gain no benefits targeting you.

This seems very powerful in the right situations. I'm not going to come out and say it's broken, but I'm hesitant to give it my stamp of approval.

Burst of Speed
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to take the Dash action.

Seems fine to me. Gotta Go Fast!

Ruslan
2015-12-14, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the comments, BRC!

A few counter-comments:

Bulwark of Defense
Yeah No. With Bounded Accuracy, AC gains are MUCH bigger in 5e.

Consider, it's not hard for a fighter to have 18 AC without too much trouble. This would let you spike your AC up to 25 or higher, which makes you basically invulnurable to most attacks for an entire round.

The closest equivalent is Shield, which is strictly +4, on a class that does not lend itself to as high an armor class.
Question: did you notice it gives you HALF of the number rolled on the superiority die?

Push Through Adversity

Frightened, Exhausted, or Poisoned I understand. Charmed does not quite work from a flavor perspective. Flavor-wise, that's basically what Roy did when Durkon charmed him in strip 1009, and earlier in 1001.

Also, would your evaluation of the maneuvers change if some of them require a certain minimum class level? (for example, Confusing Strike and Blindling Strike, ones you labeled too powerful, would require Level 15?)

BRC
2015-12-14, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the comments, BRC!

A few counter-comments:

Question: did you notice it gives you HALF of the number rolled on the superiority die?

I did not. That is more reasonable.

Flavor-wise, that's basically what Roy did when Durkon charmed him in strip 1009, and earlier in 1001.

Hrmm. Maybe. Charmed is a really powerful effect though. The other effects tend to take the form of giving Disadvantage, rather than changing your actions.

Spending a superiority die to negate some select types of disadvantage seems fine. But Charmed is a level of power above that.

Also, would your evaluation of the maneuvers change if some of them require a certain minimum class level? (for example, Confusing Strike and Blindling Strike, ones you labeled too powerful, would require Level 15?)
Not really. None of the other Battlemaster Maneuvers are level-gated.

My big issue with those abilities is their comparison with other abilities. Once you hit 15th level, Menacing Strike is useless because Blinding Strike is almost strictly superior. I consider Menacing Strike a good baseline power level for a Maneuver.

Ruslan
2015-12-14, 06:16 PM
Once you hit 15th level, Menacing Strike is useless because Blinding Strike is almost strictly superior.

Ok, but see, here is the crux of my biggest problem with the Battlemaster. It's what I call Reverse Progression.

On level 3, when first entering the class, you get to choose three maneuvers - out of the entire maneuver list. Which ones will you choose? The best ones, of course! Then, on level 7, you get to learn two more maneuvers. Which ones do you learn on level 7? Of course, those that were deemed too weak to learn on level 3! You are not progressing forward, you are progressing in reverse, learning weaker maneuvers! Instead of the excitement of learning bigger and better maneuvers as he levels up, the Battlemaster has to contend with learning the maneuvers which he passed on earlier! That, in my opinion, is bad design.

Compare to Warlock, for example. On level 2, he gets to learn two (relatively weak) invocations. Later, on higher levels, he gets access to new invocations - not the ones he passed on earlier, but actually new and stronger ones. The players is excited to unlock new and betteer stuff. That's good design. And that's how I want the Battlemaster to progress. It doesn't bother me that some low-level maneuvers will become obsolete at high levels. That's not a bug, that's a feature. I want the player to be excited at finally reaching level 15 and exchanging a maneuver he had since level 3 for a better version.

Ruslan
2015-12-16, 12:37 PM
More maneuvers!

Can’t Keep Me Down
When you drop to 0 hit points but are not killed outright, you may expend a superiority die to recover more quickly. Add the result of the superiority die to the next Death Saving Throw you make. If the result of the saving throw (including the superiority die) is 20 or more, you regain 1 hit point.

Fortuitious Recovery
Requires Fighter Level 15
When you roll a ‘1’ on any attack roll, save or ability check, you can use your Reaction and expend one superiority die to add the die result to the attack, save or check result. The attack does not automatically miss as a result of having rolled a ‘1’.

Combat Reflexes
When an enemy’s movement provokes an Opportunity Attack from you, you can expend one superiority die to make this Opportunity Attack without using your Reaction. You can only use this maneuver once per round.

Stealthy Shot
When you make a ranged weapon attack while hidden, you can expend one superiority die to remain unseen. The attack does not automatically reveal your position. Make a Dexterity (Stealth) check. If the result of this check beats the passive Wisdom (Perception) score of each enemy that could potentially observe you, you stay hidden. If the attack hits, add the superiority die to the damage roll.

Far Shot
When you make a ranged weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to double the weapon’s range. If the attack hits, add the superiority die to the damage roll.

Penetrating Strike
When you hit a creature with a weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to overcome the target’s defenses. Add the superiority die to the damage roll. If the target has resistance to the type of damage dealt by the attack, that resistance is ignored. If the target is immune to that type of damage, it becomes resistance instead.

Scorpion’s Grasp
When you make an Athletics check to grapple a creature, you may expend one superiority die to add it to the check’s result. You can use this maneuver before or after making the check, but before the DM announces the result. If the grapple attempt succeeds, you deal an amount of bludgeoning damage to the target equal to the number rolled on the superiority die.

Ferocious Charge
On your turn, you can use a Bonus Action and expend one superiority die to move up to your speed toward an enemy you can see. If you hit with your first melee weapon attack against that enemy this turn, add the superiority die to the attack's damage roll.
[Note: a bit of redundancy between this and Burst of Speed above. Only keep one of them?]

Fancy Footwork
When you make a melee weapon attack, you can expend one superiority die to swiftly maneuver around the target. You can move up to half your speed, as long as you remain within reach of the target. If the attack hits, add the superiority die to the damage roll.
[Note: almost an inferior version of Maneuvering Attack, except doesn't use your Reaction]

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-18, 11:28 PM
[QUOTE=Ruslan;20193308]Ok, but see, here is the crux of my biggest problem with the Battlemaster. It's what I call Reverse Progression.

On level 3, when first entering the class, you get to choose three maneuvers - out of the entire maneuver list. Which ones will you choose? The best ones, of course! Then, on level 7, you get to learn two more maneuvers. Which ones do you learn on level 7? Of course, those that were deemed too weak to learn on level 3! QUOTE]

Spot on! That's why we need new/scaled/better maneuvers. And this thread asks for them.

I tried to avoid reverse progression in an archetype I created.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98U09KM2RMbjZzMVk/view?usp=sharing

Please do not comment on the maneuvers (called techniques) here, as I don't want to hijack the thread.

My contribution?

Lead by Example. Expend one superiority die before attempting a physical act that requires a strength or dexterity check. Add half to your roll to the result. Any of your allies who sees you and attempts the same act on their current or next turn can use your unmodified die roll as their own.