PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Temporary HP Query

Molosse
2015-12-14, 06:21 PM
So, going from the Paizo FAQ on Temporary Hit Points: Do temporary hit point from the same source stack?
No. Generally, effects do not stack if they are from the same source (Core Rulebook page 208, Combining Magical Effects). Although temporary hit points are not a "bonus," the principle still applies.

This prevents a creature with energy drain (which grants the creature 5 temporary hit points when used) from draining an entire village of 100 people in order to gain 500 temporary hit points before the PCs arrive to fight it.

Temporary hit points from different sources (such as an aid spell, a use of energy drain, and a vampiric touch spell) still stack with each other.
In what order, if you have multiple sources, is Temp HP drained? For example, with a level 6 UnRogue utilizing the Resiliency Rogue Talent and wielding a Cruel weapon, you would gain +12 Temp HP if dropped to 0 or less hit points and gain +5 Temp HP if you knockout/kill an enemy.

Would I be able to gain:
1) +5 Temp HP per victory if I take 5 or more damage in between each kill.
2) +5 Temp HP per victory which replaces any remaining damage from the Cruel enchantment.
3) +5 Temp HP per victory only when both sources of HP, Resiliency/Cruel, is drained.

Eldaran
2015-12-14, 08:38 PM
I don't believe there is any official way to distribute the damage to your temp HP pools. You could do it going with the oldest effect first, the newest effect first, or evenly distribute it to all effects with the remainder done by order. But it's ultimately up to the DM.

Geddy2112
2015-12-14, 09:01 PM
We play it as separate pools that the player can choose, however damage must be dealt to an entire pool before the next damage pool can be hit(and that order keeps until a new pool appears or one goes to zero). A separate aid spell can replenish the aid pool, but not the rage HP.

It seems rather unlikely such a scenario will happen, but you can only gain temp HP once from a specific source(cruel weapon, resiliency, barbarian rage, energy drain) until it expires or you trigger a fresh event, which can refill it to the max.

But yeah, as far as I know it is DM dependent