PDA

View Full Version : Crafting time?

Tyger
2007-06-11, 08:38 PM
Would there be any real problem with bending the rule that specifies that any/all magical crafting takes a minimum of one full day?

All the various Craft/Scribe/Brew feats specify only that the construction of the item takes one day for each 1000GP of its base price. A day is described as a period of 8 hours work for the crafter.

What about items whose base price is less than (significantly so in some cases) 1000GP? A CL 1 scroll of Enlarge Person for example, has a base price of 25GP. Could a wizard pump out 40 of these scrolls in one 8 hour work day?

It doesn't seem unbalancing to allow it... after all, we're talking about low level spells. I can see how it could be abused certainly (scrolls of True Strike anyone?) but overall, seems reasonable. The magic and time investment on an item like this would be so marginal that it would make sense to be able to effectively mass produce them.

Thoughts?

Yechezkiel
2007-06-11, 08:42 PM
Minimum time for magic things set at 1 day seems balanced to me.

P.s. The problem in changing this up is your crafters really need to be restricted by the time they have. 1 item/day max means they need to make the best of downtime and the planning of their adventuring, and I personally like when the casters have to persuade the party to hang around town for an extra day or two (downtime can help develop plot and party roleplaying if the DM utilizes towns/cities well).

Matthew
2007-06-11, 09:12 PM
I wouldn't do it. It's bound to be abuseable somewhere along the line.

Emperor Tippy
2007-06-11, 09:33 PM
Just make the items as you adventure.

Adventure for 6 hours, make items for 8 hours, sleep for 8 hours, use the last 2 free hours to do whatever.

Generic PC
2007-06-11, 09:46 PM
Or, Adventure for 8 hours, Craft for 8 hours, Rest for 8 hours. Then, the next day your party will get mad and rebel. unless you are making things that help them.

Arbitrarity
2007-06-11, 09:50 PM
Of course your making items that help them! Helping yourself helps the party!