PDA

View Full Version : Spells that have "discharge" effects

ZhanStrider
2015-12-14, 11:02 PM
I'm trying to get a list of spells that you can (in exchange for ending the spell early) get a secondary effect.
Heart of (Air, Water, Fire, Esrth) spells and Unicorn Horn are obviously on the list. Any others anyone can think of?

Flickerdart
2015-12-14, 11:07 PM
There's voice of the dragon - for 10 minutes per level you have +10 to social skills, but you can end it early to create a suggestion effect.

Venger
2015-12-14, 11:10 PM
I'm trying to get a list of spells that you can (in exchange for ending the spell early) get a secondary effect.
Heart of (Air, Water, Fire, Esrth) spells and Unicorn Horn are obviously on the list. Any others anyone can think of?

sure, here's all of them in alphabetical order with sources.

ancient knowledge: moe
backlash: spc
crown of x (clarity, courage, might, the grave, protection, smiting, veils) all of them are in the phb2, except courage, which is in forge of war
footsteps of the divine: cchamp
visions of the future: phb2
voice of the dragon: spc

Crake
2015-12-15, 01:19 AM
One of my personal favourite spells, Surge of Fortune. It only lasts rounds/level it gives +2 to a bunch of rolls from attack/damage, to skills and ability checks, and even spell resistance penetration. You can however use an immediate (or swift on your turn) action to discharge it to make your next d20 roll for any of those things (other than damage of course, that doesn't use a d20) be treated as a natural 20 on the dice.

manyslayer
2015-12-15, 01:42 PM
Ones that I don't think have been mentioned yet (with sources)

Adamantine Wings (CM)
Aligned Aura (CC)
Benediction (CC)
Dampen Magic (CC)
Dispel Evil (PHb)
Dispel Taint (OA)
Eilistraee's Moonfire (CoV) – sort of
Embrace of Endless Day (FoE)
Energy Absorption (CM)
Execration (CC)
Eyes of the Oracle (DM)
Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (DM)
Glimpse of the Prophecy (MoE)
Kiss of Draconic Defiance (DM)
Light of Lunia (SC)
Light of Mercuria (SC)
Light of Venya (SC)
Lore of the Gods (CC)
Mind of the Labyrinth (DM)
Mysterious Redirection (CM)
Passage of Shifting Sand (DM)
Nimbus of Light (SC)
Seed of Life (CC)
Stormvoice (CoV)
Unicorn Blood (CM)
Unicorn Heart (CM)
Wingblast (DM)

ancient knowledge: moe
backlash: spc
I wasn't sure spells like those met the OP request as they don't have any other effect going on until they activate and are discharged. If they do, there are a lot of other spells that meet that criteria as well.

Fuzzy McCoy
2015-12-15, 01:54 PM
Vision of the Omniscient Eye (3, Dragon Magic): if cast while under the effect of see invis or true seeing, discharge to gain a faerie fire for 1 min.

Shadow form (5 sorc/wiz, 4 assassin, spell compendium(SC)): if you have ranks in escape artist, discharge to attempt to slip through barriers, including walls of force.

Divine insight (cleric 2, SC) and Moment of Prescience (Sorc/Wiz 8, Core): Discharge for sizable bonus to skills and d20 rolls for MoP. The only have the discharge effect, but it's such a sizable bonus that it deserves mention

Venger
2015-12-15, 01:56 PM
Ones that I don't think have been mentioned yet (with sources)

Adamantine Wings (CM)
Aligned Aura (CC)
Benediction (CC)
Dampen Magic (CC)
Dispel Evil (PHb)
Dispel Taint (OA)
Eilistraee's Moonfire (CoV) – sort of
Embrace of Endless Day (FoE)
Energy Absorption (CM)
Execration (CC)
Eyes of the Oracle (DM)
Ferocity of Sanguine Rage (DM)
Glimpse of the Prophecy (MoE)
Kiss of Draconic Defiance (DM)
Light of Lunia (SC)
Light of Mercuria (SC)
Light of Venya (SC)
Lore of the Gods (CC)
Mind of the Labyrinth (DM)
Mysterious Redirection (CM)
Passage of Shifting Sand (DM)
Nimbus of Light (SC)
Seed of Life (CC)
Stormvoice (CoV)
Unicorn Blood (CM)
Unicorn Heart (CM)
Wingblast (DM)

I wasn't sure spells like those met the OP request as they don't have any other effect going on until they activate and are discharged. If they do, there are a lot of other spells that meet that criteria as well.
That's fair. I didn't include some for similar reasons.

What kind of spells are you looking for?

ZhanStrider
2015-12-15, 05:37 PM
That's fair. I didn't include some for similar reasons.

What kind of spells are you looking for?

The kind that would annoy a DM if you had infinite use of the discharge ability.