PDA

View Full Version : Polymorph Custom magic item help needed

RaistlinSees
2015-12-15, 01:36 AM
So I am trying to figure out how would I craft a magic item that would allow me to basically polymorph at will. From what I understand it would be :

Spell Effect: Use-activated or continuous Polymorph = 4 (spell level) x 7 (caster level) x 2,000gp x 2 (minute /level duration) = 112,000gp .

Now this is my question, the concept of the item would be to basically make it sort of a supernatural ability that would allow the user to Polymorph whenever needed. The goal is to basically have the item with unlimited uses per day and be able to use this as a day long thing by the usage of the Persistent Spell Feat. I would like to be able to use this magic item to polymorph what would seem at will. Very similar to how a Druid can Wildshape so many times per day, but in this case being used by a magic item at virtually unlimited amounts of time.

I would really like some insight on this, if possible. Would using this feat be possible if the item had unlimited charges or uses per day?

I used http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm as my guide for creating the magic item, but I feel like I left something out

I am wanting to know if I have done the calculations correctly or if I am forgetting something.

Troacctid
2015-12-15, 02:44 AM
The guidelines you used are quick, but rough, and often give wildly inaccurate results when dealing with spell effects. You can get a more accurate pricing by using the heuristics in the design guide used by the writers of the Magic Item Compendium, which are excerpted here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070316a).

FYI, there is already a similar magic item: the skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus), originally printed in Expanded Psionics Handbook and reprinted (unchanged) in Magic Item Compendium.

RaistlinSees
2015-12-15, 10:35 AM
The guidelines you used are quick, but rough, and often give wildly inaccurate results when dealing with spell effects. You can get a more accurate pricing by using the heuristics in the design guide used by the writers of the Magic Item Compendium, which are excerpted here (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20070316a).

FYI, there is already a similar magic item: the skin of proteus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/items/universalItems.htm#skinofProteus), originally printed in Expanded Psionics Handbook and reprinted (unchanged) in Magic Item Compendium.

Great read on the article you linked me about the writers of the MIC. I have been working on a more detailed story of the item but my DM has asked that I provide a good pricing scale so the item can be implemented. I gotta admit the pricing is something I would need some help with concerning the guide. In my opinion a magic item that gives you a sort of special ability to polymorph at will shouldnt cost 120,000 gp. As you pointed out the Skin of Proteus is only 84,000 gp (difference in pricing of 36,00gp) I understand that is the pricing guide and not rule but its just as they said,

To a developer, price is crucial, because it’s half of what determines the overall efficiency of a game piece (which in turn determines how many players want to use it).

So I can understand someone using the Polymorph magical item to turn themselves into a bear, wyvern, lammasu over and over again inside and out of battle. Providing the character with more versatility and overall flavor in my opinion.

It may seem facetious to say that a magic item is “designed” before you set a price, but the gold piece cost associated with a game element is really one of the least important parts of its design. (Of course, it’s one of the most important parts of its development, but we’re talking about design here.) It’s not the price of a jar of Keoghtom’s ointment (or its mention in Dragon 354's Order of the Stick) that makes it interesting, it’s the range of effects it offers. The price only makes it an appealing (i.e., efficient) purchase or an unappealing (i.e., inefficient) purchase, not an interesting item.

Rubik
2015-12-15, 10:43 AM
Use the psychoactive skin, which is even better than an item of Polymorph, as it doesn't have all of the restrictions that Polymorph has, though in exchange you cannot use the effect on anyone but yourself, your psicrystal (if applicable), and possibly your familiar, depending on how your campaign's magic/psionic transparency is. Polymorph, for instance, cannot be used on a non-living creature, and it cannot turn you into a non-living creature. Nor can it turn you into something that is more than one size category away from yours (which is somewhat bypassable with judicious use of size-changing magic), nor can it turn you into anything with more HD than you, nor can it turn you into an inanimate object, nor can it affect your hp total. Metamorphosis doesn't have any of those restrictions; so long as the manifester level of the skin is high enough for the form, and the form's type isn't on the restricted list, it can turn you into just about anything.

Also, I'd suggest creating the skin using the Words of Creation feat. A free, extra manifester level on a psychoactive skin of proteus is fantastic.

Charizander
2015-12-15, 10:47 AM
There's also a pretty cheap necklace in the Arms & Equipment Guide, I think, though it only lets you use one form.

edit: Phylactery of Change, A&EG, 11,200 GP.

RaistlinSees
2015-12-15, 10:55 AM
Use the psychoactive skin, which is even better than an item of Polymorph, as it doesn't have all of the restrictions that Polymorph has, though in exchange you cannot use the effect on anyone but yourself, your psicrystal (if applicable), and possibly your familiar, depending on how your campaign's magic/psionic transparency is. Polymorph, for instance, cannot be used on a non-living creature, and it cannot turn you into a non-living creature. Nor can it turn you into something that is more than one size category away from yours (which is somewhat bypassable with judicious use of size-changing magic), nor can it turn you into anything with more HD than you, nor can it turn you into an inanimate object, nor can it affect your hp total. Metamorphosis doesn't have any of those restrictions; so long as the manifester level of the skin is high enough for the form, and the form's type isn't on the restricted list, it can turn you into just about anything.

Also, I'd suggest creating the skin using the Words of Creation feat. A free, extra manifester level on a psychoactive skin of proteus is fantastic.

Skin of Proteus seems very well done. I like the spell and of course its restrictions are something I really will not worry about. The only issue with this is, the character who would be crafting this item is an Artificer. Would he even be able to create psionic items? I am not worried about the gp pricing as the character gets an incredible discount due to feats and other cost reductions. The DM is not going to just place the item in the campaign to my knowledge, he has basically told me, if you want an item that will do what you want, provide the cost and details about it and I will approve it.

I have been reading on this Polymorph vs Metamorphosis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?140485-Metamorphosis-vs-Polymorph)

Rubik
2015-12-15, 11:02 AM
Skin of Proteus seems very well done. I like the spell and of course its restrictions are something I really will not worry about. The only issue with this is, the character who would be crafting this item is an Artificer. Would he even be able to create psionic items? I am not worried about the gp pricing as the character gets an incredible discount due to feats and other cost reductions. The DM is not going to just place the item in the campaign to my knowledge, he has asked the Artificer which is me to create a magic item that he would like to use.

I have been reading on this Polymorph vs Metamorphosis (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?140485-Metamorphosis-vs-Polymorph)A psionic artificer could, and the MIC allows manifesters to create psionic versions of magic items, so I don't see why a DM wouldn't let you go the opposite way.

If you have ranks in Use Psionic Device, you could always buy up power stones of Metamorphosis or a dorje to manifest the power in creating it.

Or you could do a quick retrain via failing your saving throws versus negative levels and using either a casting of Greater Restoration or a thought bottle to restore your previous XP total and changing your levels to egoist (and repeat the process back to artificer when you're done).

Or you could hire a manifester to help you craft one.

Or you could use a scroll of Wish or a Planar Binding for an efreeti to Wish for a psychoactive skin.

Or you could take a level in ardent with the Magic Mantle to equate magic and psionics and use your artificer crafting to emulate Metamorphosis directly.

I'm sure there are other ways to go about crafting a psionic item for a magical crafter, as well.

RaistlinSees
2015-12-15, 11:05 AM
A psionic artificer could, and the MIC allows manifesters to create psionic versions of magic items, so I don't see why a DM wouldn't let you go the opposite way.

If you have ranks in Use Psionic Device, you could always buy up power stones of Metamorphosis or a dorje to manifest the power in creating it.

Or you could do a quick retrain via failing your saving throws versus negative levels and using either a casting of Greater Restoration or a thought bottle to restore your previous XP total and changing your levels to egoist (and repeat the process back to artificer when you're done).

Or you could hire a manifester to help you craft one.

Or you could use a scroll of Wish or a Planar Binding for an efreeti to Wish for a psychoactive skin.

Or you could take a level in ardent with the Magic Mantle to equate magic and psionics and use your artificer crafting to emulate Metamorphosis directly.

I'm sure there are other ways to go about crafting a psionic item for a magical crafter, as well.

I am currently playing just Artificer, and as such I would prefer a non psionic item that can be crafted by an artificer. That is why I was just planning on creating a magic item that I could craft myself in game regardless of the price. In-gI have a reason for creating the item as it all fits in with a certain story the campaign. I am not overall worried about the 112K gp since with cost reductions I would get the item at a incredivby low price. Those are all great ways of attaining that item though, I would have to say that.

Hence why i wanted to create my own personnel item and give it some flavor in terms of character backstory on why he created this item and forge it to my liking in terms of appearance. Since I am mainly trying to create my own custom magic item where I can polymorph at will how many times I desire per day.

Now this is my question, the concept of the item would be to basically make it sort of a supernatural ability that would allow the user to Polymorph whenever needed. The goal is to basically have the item with unlimited uses per day and be able to use this as a day long thing by the usage of the Persistent Spell Feat. I would like to be able to use this magic item to polymorph what would seem at will. Very similar to how a Druid can Wildshape so many times per day, but in this case being used by a magic item at virtually unlimited amounts of time

My question is, is this possible to do? Having it as a continuous effect I believe would allow me to do so right?