PDA

View Full Version : PM spam?

endoperez
2015-12-15, 04:09 AM
I received a private message today, Dec. 15th, at 07:14 GMT +0.

It was sent by a new user registered Dec. 13th 2015, and the PM contains a link to a thread asking for help, on minmaxboards.com site.

First off - I got pop up messages telling me I had a new PM. That's cool! I wouldn't have noticed this otherwise.

Second - the user behind the PM seems legitimate at a first glance, and I don't think PMs like this are against forum rules. However, I'm rather inactive on the forum so I have a hard time thinking I would be singled out randomly. I'm starting a thread so that anyone else who's been getting weird PMs may report it here.

It's probably nothing (which is why I didn't identify the user here), but there's the small chance that this is some sort of a mass PM targeting all users or something weird like that.

eggynack
2015-12-15, 06:10 AM
You can report PM's the same way you can report posts. If you think it's spam of some variety, the best move might be to just do that, under the assumption that it'd be easier to tell whether it is spam or not from the back end.

Grey_Wolf_c
2015-12-15, 09:05 AM
I agree with eggynack: report the PM, explain your suspicions, and that will be easier for the PMs to manage through the administration system than hoping everyone else that has received a similar PM to come across this thread.

Grey Wolf

ChristianSt
2015-12-15, 02:52 PM
These Rules apply everywhere on this Forum, including every subforum, spoiler box, signature, avatar, and Private Message. (emphasis mine)

So if you think it is (or could be) spam/advertising/something against the forum rules it is best to treat it like you would treat a post with the same content. (Though I would certainly err on the side of reporting, because the number of users who can actually report it is vastly reduced compared to normal posts.)

Roland St. Jude
2015-12-15, 02:57 PM
Sheriff: As noted above, please report it so that we can take a look.