PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Kineticist refluffing; Dark Tapestry

Xuldarinar
2015-12-15, 01:27 PM
I was toying around some ideas for refluffing classes and one of them stood out to me. Reflavoring a kineticist to be tied to the dark tapestry or outside the great beyond (or otherwise to 3.5's far realm, shattered night, or other non-places).

To that end, I wanted to share the notion and see what people can come up with. Refluffing the elements or substituting them to suit such an alien notion, or other similar alterations, mechanical or otherwise. So, what can we come up with?

9mm
2015-12-15, 03:37 PM
well the obvious dark tapestry element would be void in Occult Origins.

Xuldarinar
2015-12-15, 04:35 PM
well the obvious dark tapestry element would be void in Occult Origins.

Well, yes.. it does most closely suit the dark tapestry on its own, but I speak of all of the different elements.

For instance, in terms of water, while a blood kineticist would certainly fit the bill of a lovecraft-esque kineticist, so could any hydrokineticist if it isn't strictly water. It could manifest as a sort of slime/goo/gelatinous material such as that from the amoebic sea.

Fire, I haven't a clue. Same goes for air really, or even aether. Earth could be refluffed to be something more.. organic, or strange sigils manifest upon earth called or shaped. Wood could be refluffed faintly to be tied to Shub-niggurath or Xhamen-Dor.

Thealtruistorc
2015-12-15, 05:47 PM
Air is somewhat manageable. Refluff it as the dark whispers of the elder gods literally mad manifest, and have them literally whip reality around like a tornado. It could also result in some really cool moments where you say something blasphemous and the sound waves start to transform into a kinetic blast.

For fire, what I was thinking of was either pain or desiccation, perhaps a combination of both. Creatures or objects damaged by this would start to rapidly wither and rot away, while others would be repelled by the horrific stench of rot in the air that is also eating away at them.

For aether, I don't think it even needs to be changed. The raw nothingness of the universe shaping itself into a deadly weapon is lovecraftian enough, and definitely has potential on a more nihilistic character.

Xuldarinar
2015-12-15, 06:56 PM
Air is somewhat manageable. Refluff it as the dark whispers of the elder gods literally mad manifest, and have them literally whip reality around like a tornado. It could also result in some really cool moments where you say something blasphemous and the sound waves start to transform into a kinetic blast.

For fire, what I was thinking of was either pain or desiccation, perhaps a combination of both. Creatures or objects damaged by this would start to rapidly wither and rot away, while others would be repelled by the horrific stench of rot in the air that is also eating away at them.

For aether, I don't think it even needs to be changed. The raw nothingness of the universe shaping itself into a deadly weapon is lovecraftian enough, and definitely has potential on a more nihilistic character.

...And in a few words, you have managed to make air my favorite element.

What wonderful ideas. They certainly then could then lend themselves to interesting interpretations of composite blasts.

Milo v3
2015-12-16, 09:02 PM
Fire could simply be tapping into the power of the small number of stars that are adrift in the dark tapestry, bringing them closer to death with each kinetic blast.