PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a dungeon adventure module

Bosh
2007-06-11, 09:55 PM
I've been running a game for a few months now and most of it has been politics-heavy and most of the enemies have been mundane humans. But now the party is getting into a position to take on a more high fantasy dungeon crawl.

The thing is I suck at writing dungeon crawls so any advice for a module/Dungeon back issue to get my hands on would be greaty appreciated. I'm lookin for:

-Something Castle of the Ice Queen or at the very least cold/arctic themed.
-Some tricky/puzzle bits since the party hasn't done any of that yet.
-Paranoia-inducing and as much stuff as screws with a party's minds as possiblle
-Something that would give a fairly powerful party of five 5th level characters (very melee heavy, but meleers are fairly powerful in the rules I'm using) a real challenge with a significant chance of them being captured or chased off.

It doesn't have to be perfect, since I'm doing to heavily adapt it since I'm using Conan d20 rules instead of D&D, just want something for inspiration.

Matthew
2007-06-13, 12:44 PM
What level are you looking for?

Zherog
2007-06-13, 12:46 PM
Well, he has 5 fifth level characters...

Matthew
2007-06-13, 12:52 PM
Whoops. You know, I read this post yesterday, wondered why nobody had responded. Looked at it again today, and thought, "Oh, no level indicator..."

Any ideas about suitable Adventures? I would have said try Caverns of the Snow Witch, but it ain't for Level 5 Characters...

Ditto
2007-06-13, 01:01 PM
I'm running and have played White Plume Mountain (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051207a); it's for 4 7th level chars, but 5 solid 6th levels could handle it. If your 5 5ths are strong, you might be able to make it work... I'm sure you can adapt it. It's a fine module with a little bit of puzzling, some combats where strategy is rather necessary, and an all-around fun dungeon-crawl. It's all inside of a mountain/volcano, so there's nothing particularly cold-themed about it, but that's for the campaign hook to settle details of, neh?

SoulCatcher78
2007-06-13, 04:11 PM
I'm running and have played White Plume Mountain (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051207a); it's for 4 7th level chars, but 5 solid 6th levels could handle it. If your 5 5ths are strong, you might be able to make it work... I'm sure you can adapt it. It's a fine module with a little bit of puzzling, some combats where strategy is rather necessary, and an all-around fun dungeon-crawl. It's all inside of a mountain/volcano, so there's nothing particularly cold-themed about it, but that's for the campaign hook to settle details of, neh?

Great idea and since you're planning on doing some heavy adaptation changing hot for cold shouldn't be to hard...this is fantasy so it doesn't have to make sense. I was thinking of using the setting from G2 (Frost Giant Jarl) for the map and some of the creature encounters (ice toads/rhemoraz (sp?)) but it doesn't have any real puzzle stuff. Maybe walk through the glacier to get to a bizzare volcano on an ice field?

Ditto
2007-06-13, 04:28 PM
Politics are for cities, creatures are for travelling, traps and puzzles are for dungeons. Them's the breaks... mix them in with each other as you like, but you're always going to find more of the Trap population in the Wizard's Lair than on the road or at the bazaar. ::shurg::

CASTLEMIKE
2007-06-13, 09:20 PM
Check out Wizards and the downloads section of the left. Lots of free PDFs of older former adventures you can tweak for 3.5 plus mini 3.5 adventures without reinventing the wheel. Some even state the levels. Check out the adventures and old campaigns sections.