PDA

View Full Version : Choose Your Own Adventure: Exalted Setting Edition

Pages : 1 2 [3]

THEChanger
2016-02-13, 04:58 PM
>I re-manacle myself, but swap the keys.

What, you mean you didn't leave the key to my manacles where no one could see me use it on purpose?

>It isn't practical.

Elenna
2016-02-13, 10:44 PM
>I re-manacle myself, but swap the keys
TBH I was kind of wondering if King Arc did that on purpose too...

>It's not practical
Yeah, I'm pretty sure we're talking to the DtF here.

Xefas
2016-02-17, 02:32 AM
"It's just not practical attire." you thought-speak, pulling on and tying up the dress, "There's a time and place for flimsy clothes that can be tripped over, caught on stuff, and grabbed in a fight, but that time is not when my life and the lives of people I care about might hang on the action of a single moment, and that place is not a magical citadel of doom."

You clap the manacles around your ankles and secure them.

'That is a very mortal way of thinking.' says the Darkness, in the tone of an explanation. 'I don't begrudge you it, for such notions are surely effective for creatures born to the lowest station of the world. But here is the beginning of a lesson - the rules are beginning to change for you. You are reaching a higher plateau of being. What is and is not practical for you will change.'

You take a moment while securing the other set of manacles on your wrists. "...Example?"

'You told me you once acquired an intact suit of plate armor?' it asks.

You begin the lengthy process of braiding your hair while conversing. "Acquire is a strong word. But yes."

'What effect would you say that removing the breastplate would have on its defensive qualities? No chainmail or anything. Just a bare chest.'

This had to be a trick question, but you're not quite sure how. "It would be... worse? You could just stab them in their flesh and ignore the armor." you offer.

'For a mortal, yes.' says the Darkness in a teacherly tone, 'Because all you require to kill a mortal is to wound their flesh. There is no more to them. But gods and demons are more than flesh. As they rise in power, the raw resilience of their meat and bones is dwarfed progressively more by the power of their essence. Their flesh cannot stop a blade, but the raw might of their soul can turn aside blades and arrows and avalanches. When you fight a spirit, you are battling their muscle and sinew, but you also pit your self against their self, you conquer the idea of what they are with the idea of what you are. Your victory does not make you their conqueror; first, you must become that conqueror, and victory follows. There are many reasons a mortal cannot kill a god, but at its most fundamental, it is because a mortal cannot make what and who they wish to be real; the reality imposed upon them by the world around them is what makes them what they are. They cannot tell the world what they are, and the world will not listen.'

"Bleak." you say, and purposefully do not add a sarcastic as usual, "So, if I'm understanding you, teacher, what armor I wear doesn't actually matter as long as I... clap my hands and believe?" You didn't quite succeed in resisting to say that last part.

The Darkness snorts softly. 'No. The armor matters. The armor is real, and its functions are real. But you must become accustomed, as you grow in strength, to defining the reality of yourself, and not allowing your mortal preconceptions of how the world works to define you. Properly cultivating your essence will be a greater defense than any metal, and part of that cultivation is defining who you are and what you want. If armor is part of your definition as a warrior, it will defend your image against the images of others. If a lacy evening gown is part of your definition as a warrior, it will defend you as well - though likely in a different manner.'

You finish entwining your hair and affix the little key to the doohickey at the end, taking a minute to think things over. Eventually, you rise from the bench, ready to move on. "I'm sure that I'm still not understanding this..." you say, "...but are you implying that... fashion.. and accessorizing... and a good tailor will tangibly aid me in killing gods?"

You can feel the Darkness making a vague gesture of satisfaction in your head, 'That is almost exactly what I'm saying. ...A small part of it, anyway. After the Necromancer is dead, we should go shopping.'

Eventually, King Arc returns to lead you back out into the throne room of the complex. From there, he leaves you to your own devices, and departs the building entirely.

You decide to slink off to find the King of House Eae's workshop. With your dark-vision active, you forget to grab a lamp and instead wander the dark halls in complete blackness and silence; more silence than perhaps you realize.

After a few minutes, you spot the dim glow of fire-light around one of the dungeonous hallway corners, moving. King Eae's short robe-clad frame, and little spectacles emerge from the adjacent hall a few seconds after, and he steps up to a door situated at the corner; one of those doors you can't use. He very noticeably does not respond to your nearby presence, and that is when you realize just how stealthy you're being at the moment. No light, no noisy equipment. He doesn't know you're there.

He touches the handle, and the door opens for him. He begins to step through.

In a moment of crazed daring, you grab hold of your manacles to keep them from jangling, and quietly walk-dash the intervening distance, until you're just behind him. His movements are unhurried, so it isn't difficult. He takes the first few steps into the next chamber, and your spiritual energy surges out into your limbs, giving you the nimbleness and quiet of shadows, as you creep just a few inches behind him; like a shadow yourself. As he turns to close the door behind him, you shift with preternatural reflexes, rotating just out of his field of vision, remaining so close that an errant breath could easily alert him.

It doesn't. Thankfully. As he turns back around, you rotate with his movements again, perfectly shadowing him, and when he begins to walk, you step away, ducking behind some furniture.

He continues on, seeming not to have noticed anything is amiss.

King Eae's workshop is quite possibly the strangest and most horrible place you've ever been.

The entire vast space is lit by omnipresent illumination emanating from the floor. But the lighting is not normal. The floor is not normal. Instead of stone, it is glass; or some sorcerously enchanted derivative thereof - clearly very thick and sturdy, but still nearly crystal-clear. Below the glass is an aquarium that runs the dimensions of the room and more, but perhaps even deeper than the substantially high-ceilinged room is tall. Inside are a myriad of bio-luminescent sea fauna, ranging from schools of shimmering minnows to fish that are man-sized or larger. And... here and there you can occasionally see creatures that are more like men than just in their size. They are nothing like the sailor-stories of mermaids, but are hideous misshapen combinations of fish and man, with no clear delineation where one set of traits begins and another ends, skin and scales swimming through one another, hands and fins jutting out at random, some clearly functional and others not. You privately pray that they were fish that madness attempted to make more human-like, rather than the other way around.

The room is lined with shelves of books, and broken up by tables and shelves and racks of arcane equipment; glass containers of all kinds, occult symbols cast in metal, bits of inhumanly shaped bone and jars of flesh, vials of strange fluid, candles of things other than simple wax, containers of things that you cannot properly describe. And, in addition, there are dozens of glass cylinders, most of them about 3-to-4 feet in diameter, and 8-or-9 feet high, but others that are much larger, filled with clear liquid a little too blue to be normal water, and attached to parts unknown in the ceiling and beyond by metal piping.

Most of these cylinders have things in them, but you don't want to look at them. You learned that from looking into the one you're hiding behind. The thing in it is, or was, human, and is, by most definitions, still alive.

By focusing and unfocusing your ability to see in the dark, you can move extremely easily through the laboratory, while still checking how far King Eae's lamplight falls and where, in combination with the floor's lighting, there is not enough darkness to properly hide. Occasionally returning to your normal vision also helps you keep from looking too long at the otherwise shadowed things in the containers.

The King finally comes to rest at a little wooden table against a tremendous glass container, this one maybe twenty feet in diameter - the largest, and the centerpiece of the room. There are writing implements on the table, and what was once a giant lynx floats in the container. Indigenous to the area around Ysyr, they're typically about four feet tall at the shoulder. This one looks to be a bit larger, and a writhing battery of squid-like tentacles has been grafted to its back, along with fishy fins and gills, and a long scaly tail. King Eae sits and observes the creature for a while, taking notes. Eventually, he gestures at the glass and the creature becomes more animate, miserably swimming around its enclosure.

You observe him, and close your eyes, welling your essence into a spot behind your forehead, and extend it like an invisible beacon through your eyes. Darkness swims at the edges of your vision, and a semi-translucent black cloud flows into your sight, surrounding the King. You will your eyes to see into the cloud, and ephemeral illusions of people, places, and things creep their way into your thoughts. You see the King, coldly and dispassionately, probing and cutting at a variety bodies both alive and dead - the latter sometimes unconscious, though often not.

You know not if the visions are true tales of the past or metaphors describing the mind into which you peer but they tell you that, without a doubt, the Truth of King Eae's Heart is: People Are Just Meat To Me.

Choice 1
>I hide until the King leaves, so I can freely search this place for clues.
>I hide and observe the King, but leave behind him when he does.
>I confront the King. Angrily.
>I reveal myself to the King. I act innocently and try to ask questions.

As you mull things over, you feel an odd power behind the last option. It tastes of the visions you've just seen, and you do not wish to sample it more. But you could.

Eggel
2016-02-17, 05:48 PM
I reveal myself to the King. I act innocently and try to ask questions.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Eae is not a friendly person? Or is that just me?

Ideas for questions: What are you doing? Where do you get people for your experiments? What's your goal?

Tentreto
2016-02-17, 07:54 PM
I reveal myself to the King. I act innocently and try to ask questions.

Does anyone else get the feeling that Eae is not a friendly person? Or is that just me?

Ideas for questions: What are you doing? Where do you get people for your experiments? What's your goal?
nonononnononoononononno.
We are trying to convince someone, something we are bad at, who has no reason not to do anything to us, that we are innocent for sneaking next to him... this is a very bad idea.
observe and leave
we need to get in and out safely, without being caught, or trapped, or being noticeably gone. Lets not screw up already. This is only our first king.

Laharal
2016-02-17, 08:13 PM
Choice 1

I just began reading this story yesterday, and wow, I'm amazed.

Edit: I'll also add that I was impressed with June's arguments, chain of thoughts, etc, well reasoning in general with the king. Maybe she has poor social skills but her intellect seems to be on the good track. Maybe later she could be ''better'' in social encounters just with force of persuasion. I don't know if it was her natural intellect or the Darkness' teachings that start to sink-in, but I like that ;)

Xefas
2016-02-18, 12:31 AM
I don't know if there's going to be an update tomorrow. I'm going in for a second round of oral surgery tomorrow morning - the first was a ~week ago, which contributed to the hiccup in my posting - so it depends how I feel. Long story short, I'm heading into my late twenties, and I thought I'd dodged the wisdom teeth bullet, as they'd never bothered me before, or even shown up, really. Turns out I didn't! They've just been hiding out, destroying the internal structure of my face, all sneaky-like. Never surfacing... just... being quiet ***holes.

Anyway, I'm gonna be 100% okay in the long run, I just gotta get my mouth cut up a whole bunch right now.

Edit: I'll also add that I was impressed with June's arguments, chain of thoughts, etc, well reasoning in general with the king. Maybe she has poor social skills but her intellect seems to be on the good track. Maybe later she could be ''better'' in social encounters just with force of persuasion. I don't know if it was her natural intellect or the Darkness' teachings that start to sink-in, but I like that ;)

Up until now, she was naturally intelligent, but uneducated and unguided. And her natural bend is towards straightforwardness (socially).

She's gradually becoming more well-rounded, and I'm glad that it comes through in the writing.

ImperatorV
2016-02-18, 03:19 AM

Kymme
2016-02-18, 03:52 AM
I don't know if there's going to be an update tomorrow. I'm going in for a second round of oral surgery tomorrow morning - the first was a ~week ago, which contributed to the hiccup in my posting - so it depends how I feel. Long story short, I'm heading into my late twenties, and I thought I'd dodged the wisdom teeth bullet, as they'd never bothered me before, or even shown up, really. Turns out I didn't! They've just been hiding out, destroying the internal structure of my face, all sneaky-like. Never surfacing... just... being quiet ***holes.

Anyway, I'm gonna be 100% okay in the long run, I just gotta get my mouth cut up a whole bunch right now.

No, worries, man. I've been there before, and it's no fun. Just remember to do everything your surgeon tells you, and don't listen to anybody else. Especially not me - I got high on pain meds and binge-watched Over The Garden Wall. Not the best mix, all things considered. I about lost it right around here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkNV-0O1ya8).

----------------------

Anywho, to the game!

This seems like the best option for our enterprising sleuth.

THEChanger
2016-02-18, 02:34 PM
Yeah, I remember when I got my wisdom teeth out. My surgeon and I went over a lot of things, but one thing I was not expecting was how exhausted I would be after. You'll not be feeling yourself for awhile, if your experience was anything like mine Xefas. Rest, recuperate, do the things you're told. And when you're clear to eat things again, get your favorite ice cream that doesn't have bits in it. I found that to be most therapeutic. :smallsmile:

In any case, >Hide until the king leaves, then search for clues!

Elenna
2016-02-18, 11:36 PM

backwaterj
2016-02-26, 07:12 PM
I hide until the King leaves, so I can freely search this place for clues.

Xefas
2016-03-01, 03:50 AM
You skulk in the shadows for a time, perhaps an hour, while King Eae gives his creation commands, and marks notes on its behavior. Eventually, he leaves. You wait a few additional minutes just to make sure he isn't coming immediately back, and then move into the open.

First, you move to the desk in front of the great tank containing the betentacled lynx, and examine the diaries there. They're written in what the Darkness That Follows had dubbed 'The Divine Language.' You ask it to interpret. Rather than translate word for word, it asks you to simply flip through the pages, that it might give a summary at the end. More than once, the Darkness chides you for sluggishness, until you're practically fanning the pages of the bound texts; you're certain that, even in your native tongue, you wouldn't be able to read more than a sentence or so of each page.

'The King is creating a platoon of amphibious soldiers to combat the Fair Folk raids in the east.' it says, finally, 'Apparently, he tried several varieties of sea life first, but squid seems to be working out for quick production. He doesn't go in depth as to why. And quick seems to be a relative term. There's rambling about pressure from the other Kings about speeding things along. ...He notes that preserving the entirety of the subjects' mental faculties adds considerable time to the splicing.'

You clench your teeth and fight down some nausea with anger. "I really hope this guy is the necromancer."

The Darkness seems unperturbed. 'It seems doubtful. Magic like this requires a certain understanding and... appreciation of life.' You begin to interject, but the Darkness cuts over you, 'Perhaps not in the way you would use the word. And I suppose there's a particular pleasant aesthetic duality of a master of manipulating life and unlife.'

After spending a couple of hours scouring the laboratory, you find many unpleasantries, but no book matching King Arc's description, nor anything directly incriminating.

You take a minute to rest, trying to find a place where you can prop yourself and look somewhere that doesn't remind you of all the living people experiencing their own unique torture mere feet away in every direction.

'Did you have a plan for getting out of this room?' the Darkness asks, breaking the silence.

You sigh. "Right... it only occurred to me about an hour ago that we're sort of locked in here. The door looks pretty solid, but maybe I could break it down. That'd be more than a little suspicious, though." There're a few moments of silence, and you slowly tilt you head, looking to the side, and up, at one of the watery cylinders nearby with its freakish half-squid half-human monstrosity inside. "...So, we wait."

Another noticeable beat of silence. 'You could free them. If you wanted.' the Darkness offers, having noticed your gaze.

"That sounds like a spectacularly bad idea." you say, not derisively, but just very simply, plainly - it's clear you've been thinking about it.

'That is true.' the Darkness says, 'But you could.'

More righteous fury, and queasiness, bubbles up inside of you as you're forced to think about the very thing you'd been trying not to for the last few hours. "And to what end? This - all... this" you sweep a hand, gesturing at the room at large, "-isn't some terrible crime apparently. If I tried to lead whatever heroic escape I could, these poor people would either be killed or recaptured by all the other Kings and whatever goons they have lurking about. And me as well for my trouble."

There's quiet again. You walk over to a bookcase close to the door, and carefully climb your way on top of it. When King Eae returns, it'll make a good vantage point to slip behind him as he enters, and hopefully dart out of the room undetected.

Some number of minutes later, as you crouch on top of the furniture, bored, the Darkness speaks up again, quietly, wistfully. 'It's frustrating, isn't it?' There're a thousand ways he could've made that sound sarcastic and mocking. But it very obviously isn't meant to be. 'Being weak, I mean. Seeing something you know so definitively in your heart is unjust, and not having the power to change it.'

You think of something to say, but you can't seem to come up with anything other than to answer in the affirmative. "...Yes."

'And... you feel a little bit bitter... At yourself, for being weak. At the people who do have the power for not using it. At the world for being such a flawed place.'

"...Yes." you say, maybe a little raspier. And then a thought begins to form. "...Do you ever feel that way, teacher?"

No answer.

Time passes. Something in the multiples of hours, but not as much as a day, you think.

Footsteps. The door creaks open, rousing you from your vacant state lying in the shadows on top of the bookcase. King Eae steps through the door with his slow shuffle, and you alight from your perch with supernatural quiet, dancing through the darkness, under, over, and around obstacles in the span of moments, until you shimmy expertly into the small gap between the King and the open doorway, ready to rotate around the wall and into the safety of the hallway beyond.

But in the breadth of that half-instant, you look at the King's exposed back, completely unaware of you, and your perception of time slows to a crawl. You know this man's heart and he is a monster. You know this. And for all his magic, he is also just a man, and a sharp something in his back is just the same as it is for any man. And there is something sharp on that table nearby. And there's no one around. No one but you. And there's already a suspected killer-slash-blasphemy-against-the-natural-order on the loose, of which you are not on the list of possible suspects.

There's a very rational side of you that says this is a terrible idea. But there's a disgusted side of you that says it isn't. And it says that maybe you aren't too weak to dispense justice. And you like hearing that.

Choice 1
>I attempt some murder.
>I make a mental note to wreak terrible vengeance on the House of Eae should I ever have the opportunity in the future. But for now, there's just too much else going on to add to the chaos.

Kymme
2016-03-01, 09:56 AM
>I make a mental note to wreak terrible vengeance on the House of Eae should I ever have the opportunity in the future. But for now, there's just too much else going on to add to the chaos.

We shouldn't kill him. Not yet, anyways.

Jon0113
2016-03-01, 12:50 PM
I make a mental note
I feel in a building full of magicians the chances are too high to be found out. Especially as they are already suspicious about us

Qoios
2016-03-01, 02:41 PM
> I make a mental note.
Killing him now is far too rash for my taste. That, and I suspect that the morality of Eae's actions is a tad too complex to play judge, jury, and executioner upon him, especially given our still-sparce understanding of the situation.

I also would not be surprised to learn that the other kings have done equally awful things in the name of fighting the Fair Folk, and I don't know enough to see which of these two evils is the lesser one, or if there is a third option available.

THEChanger
2016-03-01, 03:52 PM

We will be back for you.

Eggel
2016-03-01, 06:01 PM
I make a mental note

Even if we do kill him now, it won't undo the pain he has already inflicted.

Elenna
2016-03-01, 09:10 PM

I really, really want to choose the other option. But Qoios makes some good points about our lack of understanding of the situation.

ImperatorV
2016-03-02, 12:57 AM
This is a sorcerer king. If he doesn't have some sort of automatic-defense or other way of screwing us over even if we get the drop on him I'd be very surprised.

norman250
2016-03-02, 07:13 PM
Make a mental Note

Not the best time to commit regicide.

sidhe3141
2016-03-02, 07:50 PM
>Make a mental note.
We need all the facts. This guy's a monster, but he's Ysir's monster and we don't know how important his "research" might be. We also have no idea if we can take him in a fight, whether we could pin this one on the necromancer, or whether the other Sorcerer-Kings might take matters into their own hands if they knew.
>Make as complete a report as possible, without mentioning the Darkness that Follows, to King Arc.

Xefas
2016-03-07, 12:44 AM
Long-term reasoning overcomes your instincts, and you delicately slip into the darkness with none the wiser.

With no clear goal in mind, you proceed back to the hallway with the convalescent King Ion's room, along with your own cell. As you go to enter the King's room, you notice the two guards stationed at the doorway perk up as you approach, as if they'd not been paying attention. You assume they'd just been sleeping on the job - not entirely unreasonable, given how boring standing in a hallway, unmoving, for hours at a time must be.

However, entering the room, you see the usual gathering of servants there, but kneeling, eyes closed, in a stance of reverence, obviously praying. They don't move as you enter, and you go to sit by the King's bed, to satisfy your quota for occasionally pretending to do something to help him. He continues muttering about dying lights and aimless questions about casting shadows. Nothing out of the ordinary.

A few minutes go by and the servants rise from their genuflections. A few of them eye you, as if they still aren't certain you won't stab their lord, unprovoked, at any given moment. You ask one about their prayer, and they very briefly educate you about the customary morning and evening prayers to the Sorcerer-Kings that all citizens of Ysyr perform.

"That's bizarre." you say - not out loud. As odd as the concept is to you, you direct the question inward rather than out, and the servant quickly goes about their business.

'What is?' comes the voice of the Darkness, which you've come to expect as a given.

"Praying to a group of mortals. It seems... wrong, somehow. Not even blasphemous, just - I dunno, pointless?"

'In my day, lesser beings cultivating a cult was indeed considered a blasphemy. But it certainly wasn't pointless; some still risked it. Prayer is a mighty thing. It not only imparts power, but a feeling of power, among other feelings. Indeed, there are a number of factors that protected me from being warped by my thousand years of exile, but one was the ancient pact I sealed with my children long ago, for each of them to owe me a tithe of worship from the holdings of their own cults. Tithed prayers are not...' it searches for the right word, '...preferable. They carry some bittersweet lacking. The difference between asking for a present, and being offered one without asking. Still, any feeling at all in the unmoving emptiness was a warm blanket against the cold.'

That raised a few questions for you, but the one that most begged for an explanation was this, "You have children?"

The Darkness hmms, and hestitates, '...In a manner of speaking. It is troublesome for me to impart the exact meaning. They are of me. They are each part of me, and separate as well. I find filial metaphors to be the easiest way to explain the nature of our relationship to humans, but something is lost in the translation.'

Next, I'll investigate King...

Choice 1
>Eli
>Boe
>Aka
>Dor

The Chalkboard

King Eli
-Short temper
-Specialty: Fire magic. Probably. (Is his head on fire voluntarily?)
-Jerk

King Eae
-Bit of a creeper "People Are Just Meat To Me"
-Rumor is that a few of his servants have disappeared into his workshop and never returned. How long has this been going on?
-Specialty: Unknown Biological crimes against humanity. (Note: Wreak Terrible Vengeance)
-All the S.K.s are super tall and buff. Except for him. Why?
-Creating platoon of amphibious half-squid soldiers in his laboratory
-I didn't find any evidence of necromancy in his lab

King Aka
-??? I remembered some things.
-Visibly old (gray hair, wrinkles), unlike the others
-Specialty: Unknown
-When he speaks, he breathes out some kind of mist. Might be a hint for what his brand of magic is.

King Boe
-Huge. Four Arms.
-Plays Earth in Wizard Canasta.
-Doesn't like me.
-Specialty: Unknown

King Dor
-The hot one (maybe I just like weird colored hair; his is purple)
-Erymanthus tollmaster says he works with demons. Ion Leda says no.
-Ion Leda says he can cast some kind of semi-permanent Anti-Venereal Zone? Weird.
-Specialty: Unknown (Maybe sex or disease magic? Maybe both. Ugh.)

King Del
-Deceased (Cause of death: Overdose of Goblin)
-Bronze skin
-Summons Erymanthoi to do his bidding
-Specialty: Unknown (Probably demons)
-Has only one eligible heir, no one likes them

King Ion
-Incapacitated
-Big weird forehead gem (probably connecting to his Third Eye Chakra)
-Specialty: Mind Magic (probably)
-BFFs with King Del
-Jerk

King Arc
-"Hired" me
-Weird tendril hair
-Plant motif
-Does something with demons? (Demon iguana?)
-Specialty: Unknown (Probably plant related)
-Plays Air in Wizard Canasta
-Threatened my family

Eggel
2016-03-07, 05:11 PM
King Boe

I'm curious as to what is his specialty. I'm thinking it's something with earth/defense/force-fields.

sidhe3141
2016-03-07, 08:54 PM
>Aka
Do we know if anyone else sees the mist or notices his age?

Xefas
2016-03-07, 11:17 PM
>Aka
Do we know if anyone else sees the mist or notices his age?

You don't have any reason to think that anyone doesn't. It's not any weirder than the guy whose head is perpetually on fire.

Its been weeks, and I'm not sure why I forgot to list those aspects, considering I mentioned them when June first entered the throne room.

lukitux
2016-03-18, 11:08 AM
King Eli we don't know much about him and he dislikes us. We need to know why.

Jon0113
2016-03-20, 12:37 PM
king aka

Seems like someone worth investigating

Devils_Advocate
2016-05-10, 01:46 AM
>Aka, unless The Darkness That Follows has any recommendations.

Mister Tom
2016-06-17, 04:14 PM
We could ask King Aka about whether he knows why Eli dislikes us...

Also, awesome thread is awesome!