PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Need help with mount: goblin Ranger mounted archer

FrancisBean
2015-12-15, 05:11 PM
I'm having trouble putting together the build of a new character -- most especially the mechanics of the mount. This is a case where the fluff is most important to me, but I still want a playable character in the end. My DM is more likely to accept a weird character if I can hand him my planned 20-level build at the start, even if I deviate later.

The character is a Goblin named Gu'ulk'ch. "Humans call me 'Gulch' because they can't pronounce my name right."

Primary Class: Ranger, mounted archer version.

Fluff and backstory -- left nebulous to fit campaign specifics

Gulch is a son of a goblin tribal chieftain. His people live under oppression by [setting-specific local ruling group]. Gulch's greatest priority is the emancipation and preservation of his tribe -- this is his sole morality. (It doesn't fit well within the D&D alignment system, but I'll probably use True Neutral as an approximation.)

As with most young goblins of his tribe, Gulch started out as a raider and Worg-rider. Rising to prominence with a lucky victory or two, he was often chosen for solitary scouting actions.

It was during the course of his scouting activities that he first encountered other races in a situation other than "kill, pillage, burn." Surreptitious spying and eavesdropping taught Gulch that the other races weren't so very different from his own... but didn't teach him any special affection for outsiders. Gulch merely woke up to a political reality: there were only so many resources, and those who could take and hold what they wanted, by any means necessary, survived and prospered. Gulch wants that for his tribe.

During the events of [vague unrest and skirmishes within the campaign setting], Gulch found it necessary to work with outsiders for the sake of his people. The mission was a success, and the tribe prospered, but the group never really accepted Gulch. Gulch learned that the best way to get along was to keep his teeth together, smile, nod, and always be ready to shank first.

During his scouting activities, Gulch also developed a strong rapport with his Worg mount, Snarl. Snarl is the only creature Gulch trusts; Gulch is the only creature Snarl is willing to obey.

Gulch is presently either in the employ of powerful ruling forces who keep his people safe, or a general mercenary for hire, who uses his income to the same effect. Falling in with a party of adventurers works best within this frame. (A common background with my DM.)

General build problems:

I'm having my biggest problems figuring out how to build the mount. Obvious is the Leadership feat -- and here, I'd be using it, not abusing it. Snarl would be the Cohort, and the followers would be loyal members of the tribe. Fluff-wise, it even scales nicely to match the way Gulch will rise to prominence within his tribe.

Alternatively, I could just make Snarl the Ranger's animal companion.

Another option for Snarl is to ditch the Ranger/mounted archer build for Paladin, if the alignment issues can be made compatible with his priority (Tribe uber alles). Swift Hunter is another obvious build direction. I may even be able to talk my DM into Ranger Knight (Dragon #317).

Any other ideas? Assume that all Core is fine, but my DM has generally refused ToB, Psionics, and homebrew. Dragon Mag gets careful scrutiny but can be accepted. I've never done a serious mounted character, so it's all new to me.

nedz
2015-12-15, 08:26 PM
I think you might be being too sentimental about the mount. Animal Companions are disposable after all :smallamused:

Have you looked at the Wild Cohort (http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) feat ?

It frees you from dependency on Ranger.

JyP
2015-12-16, 10:07 AM
As there were no love for Goblins in rules, I personnally went the homemade route there, let me find this :

- Saddleback feat from Forgotten Realms is only for humans - I refluffed for goblins on wargs for regions were goblin is spoken,
- bard variant from UA to have animal companion (wolf),
- beastmaster prestige class to have a worg instead afterwards,
- Natural Bond feat to improve your animal companion while doing other classes
- custom prestige class Wolf Rider, by using Aglarondan Griffonrider as main template and Wild Plains Outrider to replace flying abilities, and Beast Heart Adept as model for prereequisites,
- custom feats mimicking Natural Bond & Devoted Tracker to progress Worg like bonded mounts/animal companions
- custom feat for a worg cohort which would be the same than Dragon Cohort

so these are not too far-fetched - when you consider there's no support for goblin worg riders at all in the rules, they would be pwned by any human cavalry with saddleback feat and prestige classes.

LentilNinja
2015-12-16, 10:26 AM
A guide for building .ounts & mounted characters can be found here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ml4mth647csn3j2032dp128e87&topic=25). It will tell you many ways of getting mounts, and the options for them as well as their rider.

If you want a badass mount though, I'd recommend the Devoted Tracker feat from Complete Adventurer. It allows your special mount and animal companion to be the same creature, with the levels between Paladin & Ranger stacking for the purpose of determining the benefits.

Building around that, I'd recommend taking 2 levels in Ranger OR Paladin before using the rest on the other class. You could prestige into something like Ranger Knight, but that may interfere with the mount's progression. Some Paladin abilities key off Charisma (a bad stat for Goblins and mounted fighters alike), so find what ACFs you can use to swap that out (a guide on ACFs & where to find them here (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?PHPSESSID=ml4mth647csn3j2032dp128e87&topic=8732))

Hope this helps!

ShurikVch
2015-12-16, 11:58 AM
Note: from the Savage Species
Fingerbone Necklace: This crude necklace appears to be made from the fingerbones of humanoids strung on a leather thong. A goblin wearing this necklace gains a +2 competence bonus on Handle Animal and Ride (worg) checks. If the goblin does not have the Mounted Combat feat, it may fight as if it does while wearing the fingerbone necklace.7620 gp