PDA

View Full Version : Evil Cleric or Other Caster

Dren Nas
2015-12-15, 07:32 PM
So I'm building a new character, and I got some phenomenal rolls. two 18s, 17, 16, 15, and a 13. I'm thinking with these rolls I caould probably do a good evil cleric melee/caster hybrid build to help our other healer out in a pinch instead of a sorc, wiz, or lock. We're starting out at level 1. Thoughts?

Felvion
2015-12-15, 08:14 PM
If you want to help your party go paladin. You can heal, go beast in close (or ranged) combat and give them awesome auras. I'd suggest a human varian with sentinel at 1st level and polearm master at lvl 4. This way you gain control on the battlefield too. You can start with 18 in CHA, CON and STR (or even dex if you want to go this way) so you won't need ASIs much before level 8.
Other classes that could benefit from those great stats are the bard and the barbarian. The bard is a great teamplayer, the barbarian not that much.
Whatever the class, if you really want to help your party, consider picking Insiring leader. I've seen it in play and it was surprisingly good even with a +2 CHA.

Dren Nas
2015-12-16, 06:44 AM
I was thinking about giving the paladin a shot, but the party doesn't have a caster. At least with the cleric I could wade into melee and inflict wounds, and I think clerics have high level damage spells.

Flashy
2015-12-16, 06:54 AM
I think clerics have high level damage spells.

Not really. They have Flame Strike, which gets you the damage of a fireball in a smaller radius as a 5th level spell instead of a 3rd level spell, they have Harm, which deals 14d6 necrotic damage to a single target as a 6th level spell, and they have Fire Storm, which does 7d10 fire damage in ten 10' cubes as a 7th level spell. Those are literally the only Cleric damage spells above 3rd level. If you're set on playing a wisdom blaster with a focus on high level magic you'd be much better off going Druid for all the lightning and sunlight options.

Shining Wrath
2015-12-16, 07:09 AM
You could do a Death domain cleric if your DM allows, and take the Ritual Caster feat with Wizard specialization to supply some utility spells. And who is the other healer who is not a caster?

More info on your party might help.

Dren Nas
2015-12-16, 03:18 PM
You could do a Death domain cleric if your DM allows, and take the Ritual Caster feat with Wizard specialization to supply some utility spells. And who is the other healer who is not a caster?

More info on your party might help.

I meant death domain. lol

I played one in another game, and I sorta convinced my DM to let me have an contract written up by the infernal powers. Anyone who signs this contract vows to help me while I healed and fought alongside them to the best of my ability. Also, we would divide treasure up equally.

>.>

An investigation check of 15 or a perception check of 25 let the readers know that the extent of their protection goes as far as killing a random signer, consuming their soul, and healing me to full if i hit 0 or below as a death/dying replacement effect. Also, should I choose I could consume a specific signer's soul to empower or maximize the next spell I cast as it would be considered helping me. I didn't want it to be too over powered. >.> The DM seemed to love the idea, and he got to kill a player either way if my character were to almost die.

We had a mischievous group. A monk, who tried to pickpocket me, was blown up by an inflict harm crit for 6d10 damage at level 1 when i noticed his hand in my pocket for one example. It was basically "don't mess with me" insurance. :smallcool:

HoarsHalberd
2015-12-16, 03:24 PM
I meant death domain. lol

I played one in another game, and I sorta convinced my DM to let me have an contract written up by the infernal powers. Anyone who signs this contract vows to help me while I healed and fought alongside them to the best of my ability. Also, we would divide treasure up equally.

>.>

An investigation check of 15 or a perception check of 25 let the readers know that the extent of their protection goes as far as killing a random signer, consuming their soul, and healing me to full if i hit 0 or below as a death/dying replacement effect. Also, should I choose I could consume a specific signer's soul to empower or maximize the next spell I cast. The DM seemed to love the idea, and he got to kill a player either way if my character were to almost die.

We had a mischievous group. A monk, who tried to pickpocket me, was blown up by an inflict wounds crit for 610 damage at level 1 when i noticed his hand in my pocket for one example. It was basically "don't mess with me" insurance. :smallcool:

61 damage is impossible for an inflict wounds crit at level 1, let alone 610. You must be playing with some crazy house rules.

Dren Nas
2015-12-16, 03:35 PM
61 damage is impossible for an inflict wounds crit at level 1, let alone 610. You must be playing with some crazy house rules.

6d10*

Sorry typo.

Also, Inflict harm. Not inflict wounds. I got 3rd and 5th spell names reversed. XD

Flashy
2015-12-16, 03:37 PM
I didn't want it to be too over powered.

A monk, who tried to pickpocket me, was blown up by an inflict wounds crit for 610 damage at level 1

Hate to break it to you, but you're overpowered. How on earth are you doing three figures of damage out of a 1st level spell slot?

EDIT: Whoops, just saw your post. Nevermind then.

Dren Nas
2015-12-16, 03:38 PM
Hate to break it to you, but you're overpowered. How on earth are you doing three figures of damage out of a 1st level spell slot?

EDIT: Whoops, just saw your post. Nevermind then.

yeah. my bad on that. -_-