PDA

View Full Version : The Dwarfiest Dwarf

tadkins
2015-12-16, 01:20 AM
In contrast to the "Elfiest Elf" thread. xD

I'm picturing some sort of Dwarf Fighter/Dwarf Paragon/Dwarven Defender (it's a bad class I know, but it does exemplify the dwarven way) with CON as maxxed as possible. It'll be necessary from everything to being a mighty unbreakable dwarven wall to being the best drinker in the mountain.

It will also wear the heaviest, most finely crafted, most protecting armor there is. After all, dwarves ain't slowed or bothered by it like the rest o' them pansies!

Finally, it will need to have at least one metal or stone related Craft skill maxxed out and used regularly to good effect. Perhaps even two or three.

What do you guys think?

EugeneVoid
2015-12-16, 02:14 AM
Mountain Plate :)

Mystral
2015-12-16, 02:17 AM

I'm picturing some sort of Dwarf Fighter/Dwarf Paragon/Dwarven Defender (it's a bad class I know, but it does exemplify the dwarven way) with CON as maxxed as possible. It'll be necessary from everything to being a mighty unbreakable dwarven wall to being the best drinker in the mountain.

It will also wear the heaviest, most finely crafted, most protecting armor there is. After all, dwarves ain't slowed or bothered by it like the rest o' them pansies!

Finally, it will need to have at least one metal or stone related Craft skill maxxed out and used regularly to good effect. Perhaps even two or three.

What do you guys think?

Sounds good. For weapon, you want to go either two-handed hammer or axe or one-handed hammer or axe and a shield. Heavy Crossbow as ranged backup.

animewatcha
2015-12-16, 02:44 AM
What about high diplomacy for when the dwarf needs to be tossed and the dwarf wants folks to not tell the elf.

Waazraath
2015-12-16, 05:34 AM
Maybe some deepstone sentinel (ToB) as well? Just as dwarfish as dwarven defender, imo, and less sucky.

Oxydeur
2015-12-16, 05:51 AM
What about an Incarnate/Fighter who go into Ironsoul Forgemaster 10 and Battlesmith 5 ?
Go around smaching puny goblins and elves with your hand-crafted CL45 magic warhammer while wearing your CL45 magic mountain plate and metal tower shield.

Seerow
2015-12-16, 05:58 AM
I'd go with some mix of Ironsoul Forgemaster and Deepstone Sentinel, ideally with a dip into Dungeoncrasher Fighter. It'll probably be hard to get all of those together into one build that looks coherent, but it would be what I consider ideal.

For weapon, I tend to favor two-handed hammers for dwarves, but the general trend seems to be hammers for 1her, axes for 2her. For Armor, Mountain Plate is good but I'm personally a big fan of Stone Plate.

ben-zayb
2015-12-16, 06:03 AM
I'd go for Warblade /Deepstone Sentinel utilizing 2H axe or hammer coupled with an offhand Unarmed Strike... using your beard.

tadkins
2015-12-16, 06:07 AM
Maybe some deepstone sentinel (ToB) as well? Just as dwarfish as dwarven defender, imo, and less sucky.

Yup DD was the only class I really knew of. It sucks but it's full of dwarf flavor. Deepstone Sentinel would definitely be far better.

What about an Incarnate/Fighter who go into Ironsoul Forgemaster 10 and Battlesmith 5 ?
Go around smaching puny goblins and elves with your hand-crafted CL45 magic warhammer while wearing your CL45 magic mountain plate and metal tower shield.

Dayum, yes, I love this. xD

Being a stout badass with gear you made yourself. That's pure dwarf right there.

I'd go for Warblade /Deepstone Sentinel utilizing 2H axe or hammer coupled with an offhand Unarmed Strike... using your beard.

I wanted to figure out a way to utilize the beard, but beyond magic (which isn't all that dwarf aside from very specific kinds) I couldn't think of a way.

Waazraath
2015-12-16, 06:08 AM
Hammer of Moradin is quite dwarfy as well, for a build that uses divine magic (probably with some levels in cleric of Moradin).

tadkins
2015-12-16, 06:18 AM
For weapon, I tend to favor two-handed hammers for dwarves, but the general trend seems to be hammers for 1her, axes for 2her. For Armor, Mountain Plate is good but I'm personally a big fan of Stone Plate.

Any combination of axe/hammer seems to work for the dwarf image I think. Seen plenty of images with both. The WC3 Mountain King DWs an axe and a hammer.

Hammer of Moradin is quite dwarfy as well, for a build that uses divine magic (probably with some levels in cleric of Moradin).

Dwarf clerics are pretty dwarfy, as much as dwarf fighters. It's tough to pick one of the two as the top.

Eldan
2015-12-16, 06:32 AM
Now, I know Gimli had an axe, but honestly, it makes little sense. A proper dwarf should wield something that can double as a mining tool. Warhammer or pickaxe.

Andezzar
2015-12-16, 07:59 AM
I'd go for Warblade /Deepstone Sentinel utilizing 2H axe or hammer coupled with an offhand Unarmed Strike... using your beard.If you cannot cast it normally, be sure to get an item of Silverbeard.

Flickerdart
2015-12-16, 08:11 AM
If possible we should squeeze in some Faith Scion levels so the character can wield the Hammer of the Dwarffather with the dwarfiest benefits.

stanprollyright
2015-12-16, 08:31 AM

What do you guys think?

Meleeficer instead of Fighter (or with a Fighter dip), for to the crafting of the finest of the weapons, the gloriousest of armours, and the shiniest of baubles.

Red Fel
2015-12-16, 09:28 AM
I'd go with some mix of Ironsoul Forgemaster

Hi there. Have you read this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?344798-Soul-and-Steel-A-Guide-to-the-Ironsoul-Forgemaster-%28WIP-PEACH%29)?

No? How about this?

Look at your Dwarf. Now look at Ironsoul Forgemaster. Now look back at your Dwarf. He's not an Ironsoul Forgemaster, but with a dip into Incarnate he could be.

Look at your shield. Now look at Ironsoul Forgemaster. Now look at your shield again. It now grants energy resistance. Look at your armor. It now grants DR/--. Look at your weapon. It now gets an insight bonus to damage, and dazes living opponents.

Look at your party. They're naked. Now look at your Ironsoul Forgemaster. Now he has Craft Magic Arms and Armor, as a caster of triple his Ironsoul Forgemaster level. Look back at your party. They're heavily armed and extremely violent. They love your Dwarf for assembling their weapons of mass destruction.

Ironsoul Forgemaster is on a horse.

FocusWolf413
2015-12-16, 09:30 AM
When you're in trouble who do you call?
Who do you need when you're in a brawl?
Who is the drunkest dwarf of all?
Fistbeard Beardfist, of course!

Fists of iron! Abs of stone!
Balls of brass and beard of roan!
Fistbeard! Beardfist! Fistbeard Beardfist!

When orcs are invading who do you find?
When tentacled monsters attack your mind?
When elves are being snobby and unkind?
Fistbeard Beardfist, of course!

Knuckles like steel! Ale that's blessed!
Fist of beard and beard of fist!
Fistbeard! Beardfist! Fistbeard Beardfist! (http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=8034.0)

NightbringerGGZ
2015-12-16, 10:19 AM
Max ranks in Craft (Alcohol), Profession (Miner) and/or Profession (Smith).

Âmesang
2015-12-16, 10:53 AM
Not just a horse. A metal destrier.

Dragon Magazine #297 has a dwarven epic prestige class called "stalwart warden." The warden receives bonuses to Spot and Listen, increased bonuses against racial enemies, increased resistance to poisons and spells, immunity to fear, charms, and compulsions, and becomes much harder to grapple, trip, bull rush, and the like.

It's something, anyway. :smalltongue:

EDIT: I can't help but hear the music to "Psycho Dad" when reading the lyrics of "Fistbeard Beardfist."

ShurikVch
2015-12-16, 10:56 AM
The Dwarfiest Dwarf is a Dwarf who taken all 3 levels in Stoneblessed (Dwarf)

Also, Stout (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#stout) trait

Dragon #324 have Stocky racial feat

tadkins
2015-12-16, 07:54 PM
Obligatory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytWz0qVvBZ0

Heliomance
2015-12-17, 04:19 AM
Battlesmith perhaps? Ironsoul Forgemaster has already been suggested.

Seerow
2015-12-17, 04:25 AM
The Dwarfiest Dwarf is a Dwarf who taken all 3 levels in Stoneblessed (Dwarf)

Also, Stout (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterTraits.htm#stout) trait

Dragon #324 have Stocky racial feat

If going this route, don't forget Dwarven Paragon.

Oh also, for a mount (because everyone needs a mount) gotta be a Stone Flyer if you can get one (basically think winged dog made out of stone that can fly through air and earth equally well, and grants its earth glide ability to its writer), or a Bulette if you can't.