PDA

View Full Version : need the name of a series I remember hearing about in a podcast

Akisa
2015-12-16, 07:35 AM
So while back I listened to Co-optional podcasr with Total Biscuit, Dodger and Jessie Cox, they discussed a show. The show was about a doorway, gate or portal that suddenly appears on earth, people of medieval armor comes invading, but of course get repelled back. The invaders try again with mythological creatures (I believe dragon) but of course gets repelled because of modern warfare. Total Biscuit then goes on saying that of course America ****s it up by putting up a dome around the door.

Prime32
2015-12-16, 09:25 AM
Sounds like GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Gate). Quasi-Roman fantasy soldiers attack Japan through a gate that appeared out of nowhere, and Japan responds by sending an invasion force back through. They later build a dome around the gate to stop people from sneaking through.

America doesn't have a lot of involvement in the story though - they don't even try to send in troops (IIRC the excuse was they didn't want to risk their own men until they knew it was safe). They do try to kidnap/assassinate the protagonists at one point, if that counts as "America ****s it up".

Akisa
2015-12-16, 04:49 PM
Sounds like GATE: Thus the JSDF Fought There (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Literature/Gate). Quasi-Roman fantasy soldiers attack Japan through a gate that appeared out of nowhere, and Japan responds by sending an invasion force back through. They later build a dome around the gate to stop people from sneaking through.

America doesn't have a lot of involvement in the story though - they don't even try to send in troops (IIRC the excuse was they didn't want to risk their own men until they knew it was safe). They do try to kidnap/assassinate the protagonists at one point, if that counts as "America ****s it up".

Looks a lot like I was thinking of, though I would imagine Russia, China and America would want to mettle in seeing as this could be new large source of resources. Propaganda of non humans could even call the goblins and whatever as literally non humans for the questionable morality.

Prime32
2015-12-17, 10:22 AM
Let's just say that GATE's politics are controversial. I'm not sure how much I can say without breaking board rules, but the story is very much "Japan steamrolls everyone else, who can only gasp at how awesome they are".

(I prefer Outbreak Company (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/LightNovel/OutbreakCompany), which had a similar set-up but took a diplomatic approach instead of a military one, and was much lighter in tone)

GloatingSwine
2015-12-17, 10:51 AM
Let's just say that GATE's politics are controversial. I'm not sure how much I can say without breaking board rules, but the story is very much "Japan steamrolls everyone else, who can only gasp at how awesome they are".

Yeah, modern professional military vs. fantasy empire is going to end up that way no matter whose military it is.

Akisa
2015-12-17, 12:25 PM
Yeah, modern professional military vs. fantasy empire is going to end up that way no matter whose military it is.

Depends actually if said fantasy empire have magical abilities to protection from bullets (pathfinder windwall works against guns), and bombs.

I also watched all 12 episodes (12 more episodes are coming out after the time of this post). My biggest suprise how the idiotic powers behaved, and how the Japanese soldiers are all righteous (there should be bound to be idiots who spoil the broth), and the lack of multinational corporation.

Prime32
2015-12-18, 12:12 AM
Yeah, modern professional military vs. fantasy empire is going to end up that way no matter whose military it is.Except it's not limited to military power, but also virtue and creativity. They even outmatch the natives at things they should have more experience in, like swordfighting. And it still happens when they're dealing with other countries on Earth.

Akisa
2015-12-18, 07:49 AM
Except it's not limited to military power, but also virtue and creativity. They even outmatch the natives at things they should have more experience in, like swordfighting. And it still happens when they're dealing with other countries on Earth.

Yeah I didn't really like it when an Empire noble was presented a sword from Japan and he instantly felt like it was superior craftsmenship. I think at that moment I hoped he passed it off as being polite.

GloatingSwine
2015-12-19, 06:00 AM
Except it's not limited to military power, but also virtue and creativity. They even outmatch the natives at things they should have more experience in, like swordfighting. And it still happens when they're dealing with other countries on Earth.

Yes, that's also accurate for the things shown.

When you drop the romanticised view of the past, modern tools, metallurgy, education, and simply the amenities of modern life allowing people more time to dedicate to crafts mean that yes, any first world modern nation can massively outstrip a medieval fantasy one at creative endeavours, in both the range and detail of those available.

What we remember from equivalent time periods in the real world is specific individual creative people, not the overall level of creative talent of their nations or societies.

That even extends to things like combat, in Gate we see a modern soldier beat several medieval period fighters in CQB, but the modern soldier is well fed and will have been well fed for her entire life, trained in multiple disciplines of close combat including, as is demonstrated, use of firearms in CQB, is probably stronger because she is used to carrying far more (modern infantry combat armour is heavier than medieval full plate and less well distributed, and a modern infantryman carries more gear on top.)

What you're seeing is how any modern first world army would fare, compared to a medieval equivalent modern soldiers are spectacularly well trained because we've had an extra thousand years of figuring out what works when it comes to killing people.

And the comparison of "virtue" is again between a modern first world nation, signatory to various conventions on treatment of prisoners and civilians in war, with recent experience about the consequences of not doing that (albeit less good at putting that experience into doctrine than Germany has been), and a medieval empire where prisoners still exist basically on sufferance unless they can be ransomed to someone, and the consequences of war for civilians aren't even something that people are upset about yet.