PDA

View Full Version : Help designing mechanics for a game idea.

The Vagabond
2015-12-16, 03:34 PM
Primarily due to familiarity, I need mechanics to help designing a method to get this concept to work within the Pathfinder mechanics.

Firstly, the core conciet of the setting is that it's multiversal. Many universes, each universe, however, is a semisentient entity, who wish to keep themselves entertained by the universe. When it is unentertained, it removes the universe from exsistance.

To keep this from happening, Officers of Imagination exist- They are in charge of making sure that intresting stories happen with some regularity, weighing the dice in the favor of certain characters.

They do this via Imagination, a physical substance and location on a plane. Using Imagination that most universes contain, they fiddle around with the universe's laws, to design a story that will keep the universe from wiping it's slate clean. While an officer can inject Imagination into a universe, the universe tends not to like it, and WILL be hostile to it.

Continuing, there's a natural phenomenon that creates Shells. Shells are beings that are "Incomplete." These beings are barely sentient until they are "Filled," usually with a "Echo," or an echo of another beings idea, usually created by officers, harvested from those playing games or other interactive media. There are, however, Reverberates. Reverberates are an uncommon type of echo, but are one of the few to occur naturally, usually as the remnants of destroyed universes or multidimensional war. Reverberates are nothing but consciousness, with no physical form, except for, rarely, a shadow on the wall, or a ghostly form easily destroyed in the wind. However, a "Shell" can be filled by any being with a method to interact with the mind.

Shells, however, can be created by an Officer. The creation of shells is a rare, dangerous process, involving tearing apart a creatures mind of everything that is not entirely necessary- From thoughts, history, to sometimes even basic bodily functions. This is usually used as a sort of hideaway and as a second arm for corrupt officers, and (Though rarely) corrupt Vagabonds. This is one of the most heinous crimes, next to multiversal destruction. Officerse usually try to recover whatever there was in the person, usually requiring both magical and technological means to maintain a stable mind and their sentience.

Your character, a character from the Pathfinder campaign setting (Or some other PF compatable system) awoke alone, with nobody around, as a Reverberate (Though the players or characters wouldn't know that yet. They walk through a odd setting, full of sights and sounds (A multiversal megacity, basically), and they stumble into a dark ally, finding a shell.

Now, how the hell do I make this work, from a Mechanics standpoint? I'm not entirely sure, myself. I have an idea for two shells, at least:

* Shattered Psychopomp:
A young, 18 year old woman in a bright red dress, obviously work with time. Proficient with the scythe, most likely can lift things up and throw them at people, protected the door to the relm of death when she was whole, and could summon large waves of light spheres that filled the room with dangerous balls of energy.

*Shooter guy:
Take every steryotype of a modern military shooter, and plop it onto him.