PDA

View Full Version : Artifcer homunclus question

Nosta
2015-12-16, 09:07 PM
so I have a level 10 artificer with an 8HD cross bow homunculus
I'd like to know if it can gain class levels as in pc class levels like ranger or fighter and if so how do I do this

Vizzerdrix
2015-12-17, 02:13 AM
Maybe make it a cohort or follower would work.

Elxir_Breauer
2015-12-17, 02:15 AM
I have found nothing barring this, which is seriously amusing as Artificer is one of my favorite classes. If anyone finds an official rule stating otherwise, please post it so I don't start making tons of Barbarian Iron Defenders with wings... (Improved Homunculus feat FTW!)

Nosta
2015-12-17, 07:43 PM
any one have a clue. I kinda need to know if I can turn my iron defender in to a barbarian or my crossbow homunculus in to a rogue

Swaoeaeieu
2015-12-18, 12:46 AM
fammiliars dont gain levels, animal companions dont gain levels. so i think homunculi shouldnt get them either. dont know where it says so in the rules, but it makes sence that a class feature doesnt give you unlimited amount of npc's to follow you around and gain levels.

also, can constructs even get classlevels?

ryu
2015-12-18, 12:48 AM
fammiliars dont gain levels, animal companions dont gain levels. so i think homunculi shouldnt get them either. dont know where it says so in the rules, but it makes sence that a class feature doesnt give you unlimited amount of npc's to follow you around and gain levels.

also, can constructs even get classlevels?

Yes. Yes they can. Warforged are the easiest example.

torrasque666
2015-12-18, 01:23 AM
Anything with an intelligence score can gain class levels.

Though Homunculi have special rules for gaining HD. Costs Gold and XP i believe.

Nosta
2015-12-18, 01:25 AM
Anything with an intelligence score can gain class levels.

Though Homunculi have special rules for gaining HD. Costs Gold and XP i believe.

i'm a little confused can or can't I give my homunculus rogue levels

torrasque666
2015-12-18, 01:36 AM
i'm a little confused can or can't I give my homunculus rogue levels
Personally, I'd rule "No". Its a vague area. Ask your DM. (Though from what you've said, your DM seems to be..... eccentric)

The rules regarding a Homunculus gaining HD are as such:
An artificer can also upgrade an existing homunculus that he owns, adding 1 Hit Die at a cost of 2,000 gp and 160 XP. ... An artificer's homunculus can have as many Hit Dice as its master's Hit Dice minus 2. No matter how many Hit Dice it has, a homunculus never grows larger than Small.

Though I'll also add that if these things are allowed to gain class levels, and therefore contribute as party members, they must be accounted for in experience calculations.

ryu
2015-12-18, 01:43 AM
Personally, I'd rule "No". Its a vague area. Ask your DM. (Though from what you've said, your DM seems to be..... eccentric)

The rules regarding a Homunculus gaining HD are as such:

Though I'll also add that if these things are allowed to gain class levels, and therefore contribute as party members, they must be accounted for in experience calculations.

As they can't have more HD than their master minus two this means XP being a river combines with the hard limit to make that cost minimal in most cases. That is unless you want to argue that it still counts for the calculation even when it isn't actually allowed to gain any more.