PDA

View Full Version : please help me to optimize my new character build

Nosta
2015-12-16, 11:38 PM
starting in a couple of weeks I will be playing in a new campaign with an original setting.
High magic, but no divine magic. it will be set at a school for the gifted as we are trained to take on the Terex (D&D monsters and what not) that invade from another dimension. they have plunge the humanoid races to near death of all life.

I plan on playing an artificer. we will be starting at level 10 with a 30 point buy. two flaws allowed for a feat each

races are Human or 4 homebrew races that i'm not really interested in playing. so I will be going human for the build

Now on to what I have
My stats as of now str 10 Dex 16 Con 16 int 15 wis 10 cha 14

My feats as of now are as followed :Iron will,Hardened Criminal,skill of focus UMD, point blank shot, rapid shot
Item familiar Improved homunculus and an alertness from the item familiar

my skills as of now are

1 Appraise 12(15+d20)
2 Concentration 13(15d20)
3 Disable Device 13(16+d20)
4 Knowledge (arcana) 13(16D20)
5 Knowledge (architecture and engineering) 12(15d20)
6 open locks 14( 17+d20)
7 spellcraft 13(15+d20)
8 Use Magic Device 13(30 from item familiar+d20) (can take a 10 on.)
9 knowledge tatics 13 (16+D20) (taken from d20 modern)

Item familiar
Is a lite repeating holy cross bow with warning on it from the item familiar feat
(I am not sure if I should just use wands and what not and have something else be my item familiar)

I have an 8HD crossbow homunculus
with the following special abilities fly 30ft good and 2d6 sneak attack
it has the following feats point blank shot rapid shot lighting ref and item familiar as the crossbow its attached to is its item familiar thus gaining it alertness

as for items I don't now exactly how much money i'll have to spend but i'll take ideas as to what to buy him

so can I get some help making my pc a force to be reckoned with?

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-17, 12:06 AM
Give us a direction.

Your feat selection is...underwhelming. Unless I'm not seeing something. So I want to know what kind of artificer you want to be. Judging by your feat selection, it looks like you're playing your artificer like a ranged gish...Or you're setting up to be a tier3 blastificer.

You can be a walking magic mart.
You can be a wand using maniac.
You can be a minionmancer.

Nosta
2015-12-17, 12:14 AM
Give us a direction.

Your feat selection is...underwhelming. Unless I'm not seeing something. So I want to know what kind of artificer you want to be. Judging by your feat selection, it looks like you're playing your artificer like a ranged gish...Or you're setting up to be a tier3 blastificer.

You can be a walking magic mart.
You can be a wand using maniac.
You can be a minionmancer.

well I want to be as close to if not tier 1 as I can
so I think I want to be a wand using maniac
so what should I do
the item familiar feat is needed as its part of my back story

MisterKaws
2015-12-17, 12:50 AM
well I want to be as close to if not tier 1 as I can
so I think I want to be a wand using maniac
so what should I do
the item familiar feat is needed as its part of my back story

I'd consider going artificer 5/renegade mastermaker 5, being an artificer with living construct type has too many benefits to let it pass. Plus you can get wand sheaths at level 12... though you can always just get mighty arms for 1k gold, but your DM might not like grafting, so renegade mastermaker still has the upper hand, not to add that you would be able to heal yourself and put all kinds of infusions and components you usually put on your toy soldiers on yourself instead.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-17, 12:58 AM
Here is one that I just threw at my PCs.

Level

Class

features

feat

artificer

Artificer knowledge, artisan bonus, disable trap, item creation, Scribe Scroll

Scribe scroll (b) dragon prophesizer (1), able learner, favored in house(f), cull wand essence (f)

artificer

brew potion

brew potion (b)

artificer

craft wondrous item

craft wondrous item(b), item familiar,

artificer

craft homonoculus, bonus metamagic or other feat.

metamagic feat (twin spell)

artificer

craft magic arms and armor, retain essence

craft magic arms and armor(b)

artificer

craft wand

craft wand (b), Ritual transference (bonus: craft 5 talismans), reckless wand weilder

artificer

At 7th level, an artificer gains the ability to apply a metamagic feat he knows to a spell trigger item (generally a wand). He must have the appropriate item creation feat for the spell trigger item he is using. Using this ability expends additional charges from the item equal to the number of effective spell levels the metamagic feat would add to a spell.

Artificer

bonus feat

wand mastery

fighter

bonus feat

Two weapon fighting (b), dual wand wielder

dragon prophet

aesterinian

Exceptional Artisan (b)

Cannith wand adept

Wand Focus (Ex): A Cannith wand adept adds his class level to the saving throw DC and caster level of any wand he uses. This benefit stacks with that of the Wand Mastery feat. In addition, a Cannith wand adept gains a +1 bonus on attack rolls made when casting any spell from a wand, regardless of whether the spell is a ray, a touch spell, or a spell that requires a normal attack roll. This bonus stacks with the benefit of Weapon Focus (ray) and similar feats.

Cannith wand adept

Wand Quick Drawing.

Dual Wand Use (Su):

Prophecies artifex

Cannith wand adept

Siphon charge

chamelion

chamelion

feat(floating feat)

artificer 9

artificer 10

artificer 11

feat

artificer 12

artificer 13

You make your wands, you double wield your wands, you can use a wand 3 times a turn. You can blow charges on your wands to do big damage. Chamelion's floating feat allows you to reduce costs on constructing stuff, it also allows you to craft items that have a feat requirement ;) You can blow more charges on a wand to add metamagic to its effects (chain, or twin, or whatever your adventuring chamelion feat is that day). Cannith wand adept allows you to just drain a wand for action points. Your wand DCs scale up until about 16th-18th level. By then, you'll know what else you want to do. Use chamelion to etch a few schema.

Mr Kaws is rocking a great idea too.

Nosta
2015-12-17, 12:59 AM
I'd consider going artificer 5/renegade mastermaker 5, being an artificer with living construct type has too many benefits to let it pass. Plus you can get wand sheaths at level 12... though you can always just get mighty arms for 1k gold, but your DM might not like grafting, so renegade mastermaker still has the upper hand, not to add that you would be able to heal yourself and put all kinds of infusions and components you usually put

on your toy soldiers on yourself instead.

well that sound fun. i'm not sure if it'll be allowed

I I think i'll get rid of my range fighting and stick to wands rods and staff bit i'm not sure what one I should take

also I olan on redoing my feats and taking meta magic feats but i'm unsure as to what ones to take