PDA

View Full Version : staff for my artficer

Nosta
2015-12-17, 12:25 AM
I'd like to know what would be a good staff for my blasty artificer
The staff is part of the fluff. he will also use wands

I am not sure if a custom staff would be good or not
I wanf to be able to use meta magic a lot so I also wand meta magic rods but was not sure if I could combine them with the staff

Orderic
2015-12-17, 12:49 AM
It mostly depends on how powerful the rest the group is and how much they are optimized. Also, how much you are willing to optimize.

However, something that I would recommend is putting two wand chambers into the staff.

Nosta
2015-12-17, 01:03 AM
It mostly depends on how powerful the rest the group is and how much they are optimized. Also, how much you are willing to optimize.

However, something that I would recommend is putting two wand chambers into the staff.

lets say I can spend 84000 on stiff staff and these too wands
can you give me an example of what would be good for a level 10 blastficer

TheTeaMustFlow
2015-12-17, 06:40 AM
I recommend using a custom staff - the staff price equation is actually very good (375*caster level*spell level for the highest level spell, then 75% of that for the next most expensive, then 50% of that for the rest), the problem is that most of the staves presented are laden down with too many useless abilities.

84000? ...Is there an extra 0 there? If that's actually what you have, I recommend getting a staff loaded with a single 9th level spell (assuming CL17, that's 375*17*9=57375gp). The best would probably shapechange or miracle if you can get it (the xp cost is a problem, but depending on how you read the rules you could circumvent it if it couldn't use any of the effects which didn't cost xp), but meteor swarm or maw of chaos would be more appropriate. Then, just load the two wands with prestidigitation, because you clearly don't need anything else.

Basically, just load the staff with whatever spell you want to spam. Maybe avoid a ninth level if you don't want to make the DM cry.

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-17, 01:50 PM
Summoning wands
For wands, imbued summoning is a great metamagic to bake into it. It is +1 spell level, but you get to attach any spell level up to level 3 to anything that you summon with it.

A wand of invisibility imbued summon natures ally 3 can net you: 1d3 invisible crocodiles. That is a mine field. Invisible engulfing terror (gelatinous cube) is a fun one too.

A wand of Jaws of the Moray imbued summon monster 3 for 1d4+1 fiendish hawks to allow your party sneak attacker to have a party all over their hawk covered faces.

Truestrike dire weasels are good too.

Disguise undead summon undead 3 is good for ghouls that look like harem girls.

Wieldskill (sleight of hand) summon elysian thrush (diminutive size dex bonus yo) can rob your opponents of lots of stuff.

Heroics imbued summon anything is nice if just to get power attack or combat reflexes on them. (Although, summoning a bunch of celestial monkeys and granting them ballista proficiency is kinda funny)

My one staff idea

chain spell grim revenge (BOVD) Just remove all of the hands of your opponents.
You can also arcane fusion grim revenge with treacherous weapon or other 1st level sorcerer spells.