PDA

View Full Version : High Fantasy Fallout?

Mr. Mask
2015-12-17, 03:08 AM
There any equivalent to Fallout in DnD or the like? I'd be interested in seeing what a setting where the different fantasy factions tried to survive nuclear holocaust would look like.

Storm_Of_Snow
2015-12-17, 04:06 AM
Maybe Dark Sun?

Mr. Mask
2015-12-17, 05:34 AM
Though I was thinking of post-nuclear Shadowrun, examples like Darklands are definitely worth mentioning. There was also some kind of Warhammer book about a dozen different apocalyptic events happening simultaneously, I believe. Would be interested to hear what each of those scenarios was, sometime (I guess someone may've wikied it).

Yora
2015-12-17, 05:36 AM
Maybe Dark Sun?

Yes Dark Sun.

Florian
2015-12-17, 05:52 AM
There any equivalent to Fallout in DnD or the like? I'd be interested in seeing what a setting where the different fantasy factions tried to survive nuclear holocaust would look like.

Desolation is a post-apocalyptic fantasy game. Journeys is a supplement to it that actually plays during that apocalypse and showcases how the world ends.

goto124
2015-12-17, 08:19 AM
What does 'high fantasy' mean here?

Cikomyr
2015-12-17, 09:59 PM
There was this setting called.. Midnight, i believe? Basically imagine Middle Earth if Sauron had won.

Its another kind of "after the end" than what you imagined, but its still interesting. The Great War against Good and Evil happened..

And Good got its ass handed to it.

AMFV
2015-12-17, 10:40 PM

Well it would depend on a lot of things we haven't ever observed. It would certainly be cold, since that Nuclear Winter is no joke. (Provided of course that you meant it literally).

I don't believe that there is a direct analogue (Dark Suns is really close, but is a different sort of catastrophe). You'd have to work on it. Probably the Elves and those who live off the wilderness would be hit the worst, since climate change is horrible if you depend on things like regional migrations. Adaptability would be key.

The chief problem (as we saw earlier in the Orcs and Beastmen thread), is that the boring details are the most important. We rarely discuss how each kind of faction obtains food, how they transport it, how agrarian (or not) they are. These are the details that become the most critical in evaluating how one would survive a nuclear winter.

As far as broad strokes go, population would be much sparser, probably having to cover a huge area to try to find food. Nations would not exist in any real way anymore (until the winter died down), and you'd get a lot of people just trying to survive (of course magic could alter all of that totally).

dramatic flare
2015-12-18, 05:27 AM
Pathfinder has a high tech supplement, including radiation poisoning, cybernetic enhancements, and rayguns. I don't know if this is exactly what you want, but it's certainly the tools you could use to have fantasy/fallout crossover.

Florian
2015-12-18, 06:03 AM

IŽll describe Desolation a bit more:

The "before" the Night of Fire is a mix of the "Tippyverse" and Roman Empire. So, basically everyone is a Wizard, most things are done with magic, no technological advancement because why should there be, with the right magic at hand, and so on.

Then the "weave" collapsed and nearly all spells made permanent and magic items discharged their stored energy in a massive wave of magical fire and destruction, triggering a decade-long "nuclear" winter. The more magical advanced a settlement, the harder it was hit.

The setting itself starts in the "after" of the long winter, with magic being petty wobbly, only hamlets and thorps surviving and the people trying to find out how to survive without the aid of magic.