PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Metamagic Breath and Vermin Lord

Doctor Despair
2015-12-17, 08:50 AM
Spew Vermin (Sp): Once per day, a 7th-level vermin lord is able to spray out a swarm of vermin from his mouth, as a breath weapon in a 30-foot cone. Anyone in this area takes 1d6 points of damage per vermin lord level, with a successful Reflex save reducing the damage by half (DC 10 + vermin lord's class level + vermin lord's Con bonus). These vermin then remain as if a summon swarm spell had been cast at the vermin lord's class level. The vermin are under the command of the vermin lord.

My initial question is simple: what is the interaction with this verminbreath and metamagic breath feats?

The swarm is, effectively, the player's breath attack and it lingers on the battlefield; for a feat like maximize breath, it is clear that the initial breath damage would be maximized, but would the damage from the "breath swarm" then be subsequently maximized as well?

What about Tempest Breath? Would the "breath swarm" buzz/fly so forcefully in its swarm after that initial breath that it created those wind forces?

I think it is clear these feats were not designed with this class in mind, but it did set me to thinking. Is this a reasonable interpretation of the ability? If the feats apply to the swarm, what kind of optimization could we do to turn this otherwise sub-par ability into the kind of locust swarm that inspired terror in history?

Doctor Despair
2015-12-17, 03:20 PM
I think it is clear these feats were not designed with this class in mind, but it did set me to thinking.

And then of course there is Lingering Breath... This breath attack confuses me to no end.

Flickerdart
2015-12-17, 03:23 PM
The way the ability is worded, there are two separate effects, a breath weapon and a spell.

"...a breath weapon in a 30-foot cone. Anyone in this area takes 1d6 points of damage per vermin lord level..."

"...These vermin then remain as if a summon swarm spell had been cast..."

daremetoidareyo
2015-12-17, 04:03 PM
As a DM, I would say that lingering breath would function normally, (some of the swarm broke off and remained on the target).