PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next A shield is a shield... NEW ITEMS: Buckler and Tower Shield

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-17, 10:27 AM
The rules include "a shield" and it gives +2 to AC and can be used with several feats and stuff...

Well, that's not very satisfying in my opionion.

So I am curious what you think about those 2 additions. - Are there any problems with them? Too good, too bad?

Buckler
Counts as a martial weapon (not as a shield)
Damage: D4 bludgeoning
Properties: finesse, light
weighs 1 lbs, cost 2 sp
You may add +1 to your AC while wielding it, as you would with a shield; this bonus cannot be combined with a shield or another buckler

S&B Fighter Axe + Shield- Duelist Fighting Style
- Shield Master Feat
Benefits:
1d8 + 2; + 2 AC; Bonus Action: Shove; +2 dex saves / dex save for half damage
Avg Damage: 6.5; + 2 AC; Chance to shove an enemy

TW Fighter 2x Rapier
- TWF Style
- Dual Wielder Feat
Benefits:
1d8; +1 AC; Bonus Action: 1d8; operate 2 weapons as 1
Avg Damage: 9; +1 AC

TW Fighter Rapier & Buckler
- TWF Style
- Dual Wielder Feat
Benefits:
1d8; +2 AC; Bonus Action: 1d4; operate 2 weapons as 1
Avg Damage: 7; +2 AC

Tower Shield
Counts as a shield
Properties: heavy
weighs 6 lbs, cost 30 sp
While you wield it, you may use your bonus action to "take cover". When you take cover behind your shield, this counts as 1/2 cover (+2 bonus to AC and DEX saving throws). While you cover behind your shield, all your attacks suffer disadvantage.
You may use your bonus action to "drop cover".

I also made up an alternative weapon table googledocs (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1VAnGT2ETnb9mlRwNeUo3zr77rptt50HBLa7EZz5HdlA/edit?usp=sharing) or this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?457200-better-balanced-weapon-table-for-D-amp-D-5e).

Laurefindel
2015-12-18, 07:41 PM
Bucklers were quite efficient in melee. It's against projectile that the lack of surface hurts.

I'd keep its +2 bonus to AC vs melee, but noting against ranged attacks.

Also, doesn't cover works both ways? Instead of disadvantage on attacks with tower shield, just give cover bonus to enemies as well.

Markoff Chainey
2015-12-20, 10:56 AM
Bucklers were quite efficient in melee. It's against projectile that the lack of surface hurts.

I'd keep its +2 bonus to AC vs melee, but noting against ranged attacks.

Also, doesn't cover works both ways? Instead of disadvantage on attacks with tower shield, just give cover bonus to enemies as well.

Hi! Thanks for your reply.

That's the reason I said the buckler is not treated as a shield but as a weapon. - So it cannot be combined with Shield Master Feat, but with Dual Wielder and that it cannot give cover, but can be used to punch someone in the face..

If the bonus would be +2 AC, it would stack with Dual Wielder to +3 AC. The way I wrote it, you give up 2 points of average damage for 1 point of AC. I think that's pretty decent.

I imagine a Tower Shield to be very unhandy, but wielding one, you can decide to drop the defense and strike.. So I would not apply the cover rules to both sides. I changed it so that now it is basically a "defensive-stance". Better now?

RaynorReynolds
2016-01-21, 09:04 PM
I really like this idea. I would agree with the +2 in close quarters and no bonus in range for the buckler.

PoeticDwarf
2016-01-22, 02:36 AM
I really like this idea. I would agree with the +2 in close quarters and no bonus in range for the buckler.
Me too. I like what you did but I would say the same as others :D

It would make it little bit better but still balanced

Smart you made it a weapon