PDA

View Full Version : [OOC] Secrets of the Vaal

Veloric
2015-12-17, 04:08 PM
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/fc/f7/3d/fcf73d41c343d2dd7284121b4c015a78.jpg

Four months into the journey, and despite the crews' best efforts, a massive storm lays waste to your ship, the largest squall that these men have ever seen. What begins as a low groan turns into a deafening crack as the entire vessel splits in two. The ship is quickly submerged - along with your barred cell - but a crack in the hull promises you freedom. You find yourself desperately swimming against powerful waves, and after what seems an eternity you make your way past jagged outcroppings of rock to fall onto the shore. Muscles ache you didn't even know you had, and you eventually succumb to exhaustion.

----------

Upon waking, you find yourself surrounded by the wreckage of your ship and the gruesome remains of the unfortunate souls that dared to call you 'exile'.

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
5E D&D

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
Homebrew Fantasy

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
4 or 5

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
GiantITP Forum

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
Level 3

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
Standard for Level 3

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
Any class is fine. Elemental Evil and Sword Coast material is allowed. Homebrew variations allowed if you run it by me first

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
Any race from the books is fine

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
Standard Point Buy

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
No Chaotic Evil

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
Multi-classing is fine, but keep in mind that it is a bit complicated in 5E

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
Standard fare, you roll for everything except for secret rolls

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
No homebrew rules. No fixes. Variant races are allowed along with homebrew class variants as long as you run it by me

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
A short paragraph will do for backstory, but include 2 short-term goals, 1 long-term goal, and 2 secrets regarding your character. Keep in mind that these characters exiles, whether guilty of a crime or not.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
A mix of everything! If you enjoy a certain style let me know

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
All WotC rulebooks and mags are fine.

Wraeclast is a relatively small continent. The mainland - where the exiles are sent from - is completely controlled by a vast totalitarian empire called Oriath. The Empire is adamantly against the death penalty, as they believe that every life serves a purpose. So when someone breaks the law they are instead shipped off to Wraeclast, which is regarded as a punishment worse than death.

Wraeclast is an extremely hostile and dangerous environment, but it used to be something more. It was home to (or part of) an ancient empire, known only as the Vaal. They apparently possessed the pinnacle of technology. The Emperor Chitus, seeking immortality, colonized Wraeclast and built the now ruined city Sarn as a front for his experiments and his search for Vaal technology hundreds of years ago.

You find yourself washed up on 'the prison continent' where your story - especially as far as mainstream Oriathan civilization is concerned - is supposed to end. However, what you find is a new beginning.

Besides the impetus to survive to spite those who have cast you aside, there are new questions to be answered - what force is at work corrupting the land and its inhabitants? Why do you find Imperial interest still present in Wraeclast, and what does the Oriathan Empire seek to accomplish among the desolate ruins of the Vaal?

Kraun An'Kor - Dragonborn Alchemist - Derek
??? - Human Archer - Jon
??? - Gnome Monk - Scott

This is the OOC post for the Secrets of the Vaal campaign. Feel free to ask any questions about the setting, characters, or rules here. If you have any preferences in the feel of the game please let me know. The Wraeclast setting can easily be replaced.

I plan to run this setting as a dark and gritty world but if you would prefer a more high fantasy setting or heroic playstyle please feel free to say something.

As DM I shall call dibs on a few colors to use for NPC speech, specifically Maroon and Saddle Brown

I plan on starting after New Year's so have characters rolled up by 12/30