PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Cave in - being buried and spellcasting

Nibbens
2015-12-17, 04:46 PM
Here's a thought. How difficult would you make it be to cast "Stone shape" etc. while buried under the effect of a Cave In.

Detailed here (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/gamemastering/traps-hazards-and-special-terrains/hazards/environmental-hazards/cave-in-or-collapse-cr-8), the "Cave in" quotes:

Characters who aren't buried can dig out their friends. In 1 minute, using only her hands, a character can clear rocks and debris equal to five times her heavy load limit. The amount of loose stone that fills a 5-foot-by-5-foot area weighs 1 ton (2,000 pounds). Armed with an appropriate tool, such as a pick, crowbar, or shovel, a digger can clear loose stone twice as quickly as by hand. A buried character can attempt to free himself with a DC 25 Strength check.

Emphasis mine.

Would you rule that a buried character can cast spells if succeeding on a check of some kind? Which would you use? or would you just say "Heck no! you're buried, you can't do anything but try to climb out."?

NuclearCommando
2015-12-17, 05:03 PM
I personally would rule that, if the wizard didn't have Emergency Force Sphere prepared (which would really surprise me, but I suppose I'm used to mid op wizards), s/he could cast whatever spells that would help them, except that they'd have to make a concentration check of some sort.

Not sure if there's an actual ruling on the Paizo forums or something, but that's how I'd do it.

icefractal
2015-12-17, 05:07 PM
Good question; it doesn't really specify what degree of immobilization being buried causes. Personally, I'd say:
1) You can cast spells without somatic components, no problem. You'd have to make a Concentration check if the landslide is still ongoing.

2) For spells with somatic components, you need a hand free. I'd rule that clearing away the debris around one hand is easier than the whole body. Perhaps:
DC 15: Partly free, can cast with a 25% ASF, limited access to components/focuses.
DC 20: Fully free, can cast with no ASF.