PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Fighter Martial Archetype (Squad Leader)(WIP)(PEACH)

SwordChuck
2015-12-17, 05:45 PM
Fighter Archetype: Squad Leader

You have learned the fine art of leading by example. You aren't a cheerleader like those silly Bards, you are a case of 110% whoop ass and your allies and enemies will be left in awe of your martial prowess.

Level 3

Basic Skill

As a Squad Leader you have learned to push yourself further than what others normally can, you know that if your squad mates see you rise to the occasion then they will follow.

At 3rd level you learn the Shove, Riposte, and Evade maneuvers detailed below. You may use one maneuver per round and you must expend 1 hit die when you perform the maneuver. If you have no hit dice then you can not use these maneuvers.

When you expend a hit die it is treated as if you spent a hit die during a short rest for recovery purposes, however you don't regain any hit points.

Shove (1): As a bonus action, you may cause one creature you hit with a weapon attack to fall prone or be pushed back 5'. When using a ranged weapon or thrown weapon at range you may only push the target back 5' and not send them prone.

Riposte (1): As a reaction, you may make a melee weapon attack against a creature that has attacked you or cast a spell that has you as a target (spells such as Fireball don't count). The target must be within your reach.

Evade (1): As a bonus action you may use the Disengage Action when you move.

Accumulate
Whenever you use Second Wind you may forgo the HP and instead regain a number of hit dice equal to your Constitution modifier.

Level 7

Not Today
When you are attacked, before or after the damage has been dealt, you may use Second Wind as a reaction to heal HP or regain Hit Die.

Level 10

Extra Effort

You have taught yourself to go further than what should be realistically possible. You learn the following maneuvers, though you may still choose to expend less dice for the lesser effect.

Shove (5): When you use your Shove maneuver you may effect all creatures you hit with your weapon attacks. You may also prone targets with thrown and ranged weapons if they are within the first range increment.

Riposte (5): When you use the Riposte Maneuver you may use any type of weapon and the target must be within range of your weapon.

Evade (5): When you use the Evade Maneuver you may also Dash as part of your movement.

Level 15

No Guts, No Glory

Whenever you reroll a failed saving throw it is considered a Constitution Save.

Level 18

Never Surrender
Your second wind heals you 25% of your max HP. Additionally when you use your Second Wind you also regain Hit Dice equal to your Con Modifier.

××××
Design notes

Still trying to figure out what cost the maneuvers will have in the final version. Might need to scale them somehow.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-18, 11:16 PM
I wrote something that drifted in this direction, called it a Commander archetype, and envisioned a progression through squad leader and beyond. Even used the dice mechanism of battle master which you used.

See if you can steal anything from mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98U09KM2RMbjZzMVk/view?usp=sharing

And comment is always welcome.

SwordChuck
2015-12-19, 01:11 AM
I wrote something that drifted in this direction, called it a Commander archetype, and envisioned a progression through squad leader and beyond. Even used the dice mechanism of battle master which you used.

See if you can steal anything from mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzHVsiBMMb98U09KM2RMbjZzMVk/view?usp=sharing

And comment is always welcome.

I'll take a look at it tomorrow, I'm got way to much honey whiskey to review homebrew honestly.

Though I do want to say that I played an* evil/demon Barbarian that my friend found on here. Rage powers were fueled by hit dice. I absolutely love hit dice as a mechanic for martial abilities.

××× Edit

My friend was playing the barbarian, edited for sober clarity.

djreynolds
2015-12-20, 03:38 AM
I like this, did you come up with before that purple dragon knight. If you incorporate the two, like if you succeed on your maneuvers, your team members got an inspiration boost in addition.

But very cool.

Kurt Kurageous
2015-12-20, 10:50 PM
I like this, did you come up with before that purple dragon knight. If you incorporate the two, like if you succeed on your maneuvers, your team members got an inspiration boost in addition.

But very cool.

If you are referring to mine, I truly don't know what the purp drag knight is. Sword Chuck's work is pretty cool.

SwordChuck
2015-12-21, 09:13 AM
I'll take a look at it tomorrow, I'm got way to much honey whiskey to review homebrew honestly.

Though I do want to say that I played an evil/demon Barbarian that my friend found on here. Rage powers were fueled by hit dice. I absolutely love hit dice as a mechanic for martial abilities.

Huh, don't remember responding this, that was a fun night :)

But very cool.

My inspiration came from a Barbarian homebrew that a friend used in a game.

I haven't really seen the PDK but I heard a few things and I've been told it is quite lacklaster.

But that does sound like a good idea to allow others to teamwork with

I figured that Shove, Riposte, and Evade are the most classical of abilities for a fighter type character and I wanted to make them happen at-will unroll you ran out of endurance but I didn't want that endurance to be some sort of weird caster ability that isn't tied to who the fighter is.

Running out of hit dice (and endurnace) makes much more sense than running out of superiority dice but still being at max Con/HP/Hit Dice.

I you are referring to mine, I truly don't know what the purp drag knight is. Sword Chuck's work is pretty cool.

Thanks, though I still haven't looked at yours, I don't remember replying to your last comment and thus didn't know I should go look at it after I sobered up haha.

I'll take a look today though :)

djreynolds
2015-12-23, 01:33 AM
Both are very cool, I like the idea of fighter leading people. A paladin and ranger should be played more mission focused, IMO, they need to have reason to be in your party. But a fighter is a guy, who reason is the adventure and combat. He's sensible, doesn't have a particular oath or enemy, that prevents him from making a decision based on a "prejudice" or something that isn't for a tactical reason.