PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A Question re:Psionics, powers known

Grizl' Bjorn
2015-12-17, 09:18 PM
First question: Do Psions (and other psionic classes) have the option to swap out psionic powers known as they level up, as per sorcerer?

Second question: Can psions only choose to learn powers which they are currently capable of using, or can they know powers which they will only be able to utilize at higher levels?

torrasque666
2015-12-17, 09:47 PM
First question: Do Psions (and other psionic classes) have the option to swap out psionic powers known as they level up, as per sorcerer? No. They don't get that option. Then again, they don't really need to. You take a damage dealing power like Energy Ball and you get Fireball, Iceball, Thunderball, and Acidball. And there aren't nearly as many bad powers, or powers in general, as spells.

Second question: Can psions only choose to learn powers which they are currently capable of using, or can they know powers which they will only be able to utilize at higher levels?
There's a "Maximum Power Level Known" column on the table. So they can only learn powers at that level or lower, and you'll never really be in a position to learn a power that you can't use given that limit, and the requisite score to both learn and manifest the power.

Grizl' Bjorn
2015-12-17, 10:23 PM
Thanks for that!

MisterKaws
2015-12-17, 10:39 PM
Do you know how many retraining powers psions have?

torrasque666
2015-12-17, 10:45 PM
Do you know how many retraining powers psions have?
I.... what?

Oh, you're referring to things like Psychic Chirurgery and Psychic Reformation.

Yuki Akuma
2015-12-17, 11:11 PM

The only class this is really something to worry about is the Ardent who has a weird way of learning powers - but they still need to be a high enough level to spend enough power points to manifest a power before they can learn it.

Grizl' Bjorn
2015-12-17, 11:22 PM
MisterKaws, I wasn't aware of those powers but now that I am MY GOD are they broken. At the very least Chirurgery should be banned and reformation should be nerfed (for example, by making it cost a whole level worth of XP instead of the tiny amount it does now.)

EDIT: As written, reformation basically makes the Psionic a spontaneous caster with full access to the spell list! So probably should be banned, but with a swap out system as compensation. Reasonable houserule?