PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Pew Pew McChew Challenge

ji6
2015-12-17, 11:10 PM
Howdy partners, ya'll ever wonder how that fancy pancy unearthed arcana jazz would fair for the fastest and most shootin' cowboy in the west? If ya could use any of the UA pamphlets and any other books in 5e that ya reckon, what would be the best character whose goal was to shoot the most amount of attacks as fast as possible without any others aidin' 'em. Make sure for ace-high regards to use at least one level of the UA (Texas) Ranger to get Ambuscade, so ya quickdraw will be known as the best in the west.

-----------------------------------------------------

Goal: To get off the most amount of separate attack rolls as possible in the first round of combat (Ambuscade grants an additional turn). Having awesome damage like Assassination is awesome, but not necessary

Can Utilize: Any of the 5e books published by WotC, and any of the UA material published by WotC

Assumptions: Assume you can utilize action surge during the extra turn provided by Ambuscade
Consider the UA Ranger to be a different class than the PHB Ranger, and any UA material that augments ranger other than the stuff in the UA Ranger is referring to the PHB Ranger
If you use Volley from the PHB Ranger Hunter Archetype, simply count that as 2.5 attacks
Only separate attack rolls counts as an additional attack, so no, giant fireballs do not cut it since that is a save
Try to avoid simply using spells to get a lot of attack roles in, and use no spells higher than a 4th level slot

-----------------------------------------------------

Have a hog-killin' time! I had problems deciding how to properly build this character to be as pushed to the max as possible, and was hoping you guys would have fun and some ideas on how to properly create Pew Pew McChew :biggrin:

CNagy
2015-12-18, 05:18 AM
Champion11/UA Ranger1/Ranger3/Sorcerer5

Presumptions: Starting the round with Haste active. Only restrictions on Ambuscade turn are in what the Action can be used for, so like any other turn the character has a bonus action and reaction if he has options that use them.

Feats: Crossbow Expert, Magic Initiate (Warlock), Dex +2, Dex +2
Fighting Styles: Archery, Close Quarters Shooter
Hunter Ranger ability: Horde Breaker
Sorcerer: Haste spell, Quicken Metamagic
Armed with Hand Crossbow

Round Start!
Ambuscade Turn: Attack action (Attack x3), Hordebreaker attack, Haste attack, Bonus action attack (Crossbow Expert)
Regular Turn: Eldritch Blast (Attack x4), Quickened Eldritch Blast (Attack x4), Action Surge: Eldritch Blast (Attack x4), Haste attack (with Hand Crossbow), Hordebreaker attack.

Grand total: 8 attacks with the Hand Crossbow, 12 attacks with Eldritch Blast, 20 attacks total.

I'm probably missing something that can up the attacks further, but 20 attacks in one round strikes me as not bad.

Edit: Just noticed the "try to not use spells to get a lot of attack rolls in." Leaving the quickened Eldritch Blast in but switching the other two Eldritch Blasts to Hand Crossbow volleys reduces the total number of attacks to 18 but should meet the criteria of using mostly non-spells.

HoarsHalberd
2015-12-18, 05:41 AM
11 fighter, 5 psion, UA ranger 1, hunter ranger 3.

Ambuscade: 3 attacks with heavy crossbow, hordebreaker, 3 attacks with heavy crossbow (psion)
Normal turn: 3 attacks with heavy crossbow, action surge: 3 more attacks with heavy crossbow, psion: 3 more attacks with heavy crossbow, hordebreaker.

17 heavy crossbow attacks. Most that can be done martial wise I think.

ji6
2015-12-18, 10:36 AM
Wow! 17+ attacks! Holy cow! That is way more than I expected! I only had 15 in the build I was trying! I never saw that Psion trick before either! That Psion trick is amazing! Good job guys!

And CNagy, I was mainly saying that to avoid someone casting a spell with a lot of attack rolls I did not know of with a 4th level slot :P