PDA

View Full Version : O-Chul and Roy

TheAlmightyOne
2007-06-12, 04:42 AM
Everywhere is arguements over how O-chul survived and not Miko yet heres something nobodys considered. O-chul was hit by a giant explosion and took much more falling damage than Roy. Roys fight with Xykon left him pretty damaged but not as much as being inside an exploding castle. So how comes Roy died by taking less falling damage.

Emperor Ing
2007-06-12, 04:47 AM
Many games have a fall dmg and HP system. I think that Meteor Swarm actually did high damage. I also think that the fall was GREATER than that of O-Chul's. The giant devoted an entire comic to his falling ya kno!

Snake-Aes
2007-06-12, 05:45 AM
Both were launchedfrom really ,really high. Both took max fall damage in my opinion, 20d6.
Even if O-chul was higher level than roy and miko I don't see how to explain mechanically how he MIGHT have survived(though he probably did).

Jaysyn
2007-06-12, 05:46 AM
Miko no longer had the Charisma powered saves that O-Chul does & failed her saving throw(s). Or O-Chul was just a tough old bird who rolled good HP throughout his career.

The Grey Gunman
2007-06-12, 05:49 AM
Simple: O-chul was slowed down by the fabric of the thing that is called PLOT. Tricky thing such fabric is.

Ridureyu
2007-06-12, 05:54 AM
Also, wasn't Roy seriously injured before he fell?

factotum
2007-06-12, 06:00 AM
O-Chul didn't necessarily take max falling damage--he was only 8 floors up, and unless the people in Azure City are 20 feet tall, that isn't likely to be 200 feet! Also, as already pointed out, Roy had taken quite severe damage from Xykon's Meteor Swarm when he started his fall, whereas O-Chul was undamaged before the explosion.

Ridureyu
2007-06-12, 06:05 AM
Meteor Swarm, a couple Fingers of Death... but who's counting?

Arssanguinus
2007-06-12, 06:10 AM
20d6 can range from 20 to 120. . .

Roy coudl stake one while Ochul took the other.

TheAlmightyOne
2007-06-12, 09:14 AM
O-Chul was undamaged before the explosion yes. But the explosion damaged him. Now im fairly certain exploding building does roughly the same amount of dsamage as meteor swarm

Snake-Aes
2007-06-12, 09:16 AM
Heck, the explosion alone served to tear Miko apart! O-chul was just as bad as Roy were when he started falling, AT LEAST. and if you think of it, it seems MitD is NOT inside the city, O-chul was thrown that far. That's 20d6 for me.

Sigbru
2007-06-12, 09:37 AM
Heck, the explosion alone served to tear Miko apart! O-chul was just as bad as Roy were when he started falling, AT LEAST. and if you think of it, it seems MitD is NOT inside the city, O-chul was thrown that far. That's 20d6 for me.

O-chul is good miko is not, and she was the MIDDLE of the explosion, O-chul just took the impact and fly away REALLY far, but he may be near dying
Roy took 2 fingers of dead, meteor swarn and a max fall damage, he was pretty much dead in the meteor :smallannoyed:

Helios Sunshard
2007-06-12, 09:38 AM
oh yeah, O-chul was thrown a long distance... but that just means that his initial speed had a low angle, wich makes his Speed on the X axis far bigger than the one in the Y axis.

Traduction: he was shot far away, but didnt got high enough to suffer "high" damage due to fall (i mean, "high" when you compare it to Miko, who was shot nearer to the city, so miko should have gotten a lot of heigth, making the fall damage even bigger, she was jumping when she breaked the sapphire, so...).

Now, i am going to dress for the funeral of those innocent cat girls :smallfrown:

TheAlmightyOne
2007-06-12, 10:07 AM
Go back to 450. Look how far away MitD is from the castle. Thats alot of fall damage. Somehow Im not seeing MitD moving closer to the walls just to have a tea party.

jindra34
2007-06-12, 10:08 AM
Go back to 450. Look how far away MitD is from the castle. Thats alot of fall damage. Somehow Im not seeing MitD moving closer to the walls just to have a tea party.

fall damage is based on height of the fall not velocity of the impact so that does no matter.

the mysterian
2007-06-12, 10:14 AM
as elan would most likely say, it is for plot reasons and comedic relief. all we need to know is he is likely to be chocking on tea right now.

Fatmop
2007-06-12, 10:16 AM
If we look at this from, you know, a real-life perspective, a third-story drop is enough to kill.

A 15-second fall reaches 99% of terminal velocity according to Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terminal_velocity), although I'm not up for calculating how high one needs to be to fall for fifteen seconds. At any rate, both Roy and O-Chul ought to be dead in real life (and probably in GURPS :P ), but for literary reasons, one was kept alive while the other was not.

Corsair
2007-06-12, 10:23 AM
Look at the shrapnel around Miko's body. She didn't just get hit with the explosion and the toss, she was cut in half with falling rock. THAT'S why she died. O'Chul is, what, level ten probably? Less than Hinjo or Miko, but still fairly powerful. Let's assume that explosion was significantly powerful. I don't really know the numbers, so let's say it was 50D6. That's probably more than a little high. If O'Chul got minimum fall and minimum explosion, it's probable he could survive. Maybe he rolls weighted dice.

Cifer
2007-06-12, 10:47 AM
We don't know what level O'chul is. Personally, I'd rank him as second or third strongest paladin after Miko and possibly Hinjo, meaning somewhere between 16 and 10 hit dice. Further, I picture him as one of the heavy guys, meaning a lot of constitution, thus even more hit points. Oh, and a natural 20 on his reflex save for the falling castle halves that damage too.

It's not very likely that he survived, but it wasn't impossible either, not under D&D rules.

Indon
2007-06-12, 10:51 AM
Well, by strict D&D rules, O-Chul wouldn't have been thrown by the explosion in the first place. So it's pretty clear that Plot took over his fate.