PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Custom Legendary Item abilities

Desril
2015-12-18, 07:44 AM
Does anyone have any? I'm working on making "Assimilating" where the legendary item devours other magic items so you can get their bonuses with only one item (though it still takes up the relevant item slot)

So you could have a bracelet that eats a headband of Int and a cloak of resistance, giving you the bonuses of both as long as you aren't wearing a headband of cloak.

Current work in progress (it's under review, considering making it so that it's more like a bag of holding but with a mannequin rather than empty space, transferring the effects from the dummy to the wearer)

Assimilating: This ability grants the bonded creature the ability to consume other, non-legendary items to bolster its own power. The creature bonded to this item can expend one use of legendary power to touch and devour the power of an unattended worn magic item. This drains the item of magic, turning it into a normal masterwork item of its type and adds any magical effects the item had to the legendary item. Any absorbed magic still retains its mystical connection to an equipment slot, and does not function if another magic item is worn in that slot by the bonded creature. Draining the magic of multiple items that use the same slot can be done, but requires two uses of legendary power and special materials costing half as much as the price to create the cheaper of the items. Draining multiple items that have the same effect can be used to power up the existing effect at a reduced rate based. (For example, an Assimilating item can drain two Headband of Intelligence +2, but will still only give a +2 enhancement bonus to intelligence as 2 headbands have a total cost of 4000gp. Draining a third headband would increase the bonus to +3, as the total value would be 6000gp and a +3 enhancement bonus would be priced at 4500. A 4th +2 headband would raise the value to 8000gp and the enhancement bonus to +4, and the bonded creature would not recieve this bonus if she put on a headband of charisma +2. But could gain the +2 enhancement to charisma by spending 2 uses of mythic power and 1000gp, half the cost to create the cheaper item. She could then assimilate a quick runner's shirt at no cost and benefit from the effects of a quick runner's shirt, headband of int +4, and headband of charisma +2 as long as the assimilating item is worn.)

This ability can be taken up to three times. Upon taking this ability a 2nd time, the effect extends to include staves and unslotted items (Unslotted items require no additional cost to consume multiples of. Staves require material components costing 50% of the price it would take to combine the staves being assimilated and still hold only as many charges as the staff with the most charges absorbed). Upon taking this ability a 3rd time, the effect extends to worn or staff minor and major artifacts, subject to GM discretion. The item must be a minor or major artifact to take this a second time, and a major artifact to take this a third time. An assimilating item must be a worn object.

Has anyone else tried creating something suitably "Legendary"? What've you all thought of.

pi4t
2015-12-18, 02:26 PM
You don't get items giving +3 (enhancement) to a stat in Pathfinder, and IIRC that's an explicit design choice. You might want to adjust your example.

I was about to say that I wasn't sure what the purpose of this would be, but I guess that the extra survivability that comes from being an artifact and effects like returning help if your enemies try to destroy/steal your items...and it helps reduce the "magic item Christmas tree" effect.

Desril
2015-12-18, 02:38 PM
You don't get items giving +3 (enhancement) to a stat in Pathfinder, and IIRC that's an explicit design choice. You might want to adjust your example.

I was about to say that I wasn't sure what the purpose of this would be, but I guess that the extra survivability that comes from being an artifact and effects like returning help if your enemies try to destroy/steal your items...and it helps reduce the "magic item Christmas tree" effect.

From listed you'd be right but it was still easier to use it as an example, and yeah, cutting down on the Christmas tree effect was basically the primary point

Debihuman
2015-12-19, 03:21 AM
Also bonuses from the same items wouldn't stack.

Debby