PDA

View Full Version : defeating the plot! solved

Monk of love
2015-12-18, 11:12 AM
Alright so my group faces a dilemma - We have to rescue someone but no clue how? Solved it this game :) thanks to the answers

Flickerdart
2015-12-18, 11:15 AM
What are your resources?

A ghost wizard can shift to the Ethereal Plane, walk through the tube, manifest on the Material again, hover without touching it, and teleport himself and the victim out.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-18, 11:15 AM
Alright so my group faces a dilemma - We have to rescue people trapped inside a metal tube of sorts , the problem? it's rigged to explode so we have to rescue the person without touching the tube and we tried passwalling it however it went boom but there's more to rescue so.. we have to rescue the person quickly without touching the tube and things like pass wall make it go boom? Anyone have ideas? sadly the disable device dc is high so it takes rounds to disable and it's not guaranteed otheriwise we would just use a rogue.

What kind of resources do you have at your disposal? What level are you? How much money do you have? What classes and items do you have? It's hard to give realistic answers without knowing that

Monk of love
2015-12-18, 11:24 AM
potions of cure serious wounds
and an assortment of other npcs one wizard that can cast 6th level spells then it's mostly lower leveled people.

we have more resources then that but I don't personally know it all, most likely if you know of a way (that doesn't involve obscure classes or extra people then we can probably find the resources to do it)

Red Fel
2015-12-18, 11:26 AM
What are your resources?

What kind of resources do you have at your disposal? What level are you? How much money do you have? What classes and items do you have? It's hard to give realistic answers without knowing that

"I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something."

Monk of love
2015-12-18, 11:30 AM
"I mean, if we only had a wheelbarrow, that would be something."

I don't get it? that would require touching it.

Doctor Despair
2015-12-18, 11:33 AM
I don't get it? that would require touching it.

He was joking, haha. Basically just reiterating that we need to know your abilities and equipment, because otherwise we have to assume you have *everything* or that you are naked level 0 commoners with no ranks in everything and 10 in each attribute.

ZamielVanWeber
2015-12-18, 11:34 AM
Do you know what spells the shaman and theurge have prepared? Or what spells the Imagist knows?

Monk of love
2015-12-18, 11:42 AM
as for prepared spells. we still have time to plan to do it before actually attempting another rescue so they can switch prepared spells if need be.

Curmudgeon
2015-12-18, 11:54 AM
If the Mystic Theurge can cast Guidance of the Avatar (http://archive.wizards.com/dnd/article.asp?x=dnd/sb/sb20010504a) on the Rogue, the Rogue can use Quick Disable (Complete Adventurer, page 99) to disable the trap in 1 round. Divine Insight (Spell Compendium, page 70) might also work.

With a box
2015-12-18, 01:18 PM
1. cast delay death+death ward(if it's not the explodeing damage that kills them)
2. explode the tube.
3. heal him back until hp is above 0

icefractal
2015-12-18, 02:03 PM
One possibility:
1) MT casts Ethereal Jaunt
2) MT casts Transdimensional Benign Transposition to swap the creature in the tube with a rat.
3) Repeat step 2. One casting of EJ should be enough to save several people.

Alternately, it could be as simple as:
1) Dimension Door into tube.
2) Dimension Door out of tube with the person from inside.
Only problem is that burns two slots per rescue, limiting how many you can save a day. Also requires fitting inside the tube with the person, which shrinking yourself ahead of time could help.

Telonius
2015-12-18, 02:49 PM
Exactly how much damage was this doing? If it's just enough to kill commoners, you could just teleport in, cast Mass Resist Energy, and set it off without worrying about the Fire damage.

Monk of love
2015-12-18, 03:02 PM
It did around 40 damage(not sure if it rolled high or low however as we only did it once before deciding to come up with a plan)

But I think the shrinking down and dimension door plan is a great one, as well as the ej tactic as well. we will see :)