PDA

View Full Version : Gamer Tales The Tavern

8BitNinja
2015-12-18, 11:15 AM
The Tavern, a place for rest, some restocking, drinks revelry, and an all around house of sin sometimes

Do you guys have great stories from this place (from any game, any setting)

This could be anything from a bar-fight turning into an all out war to something really funny happening to the Bard who flirts with that young maiden that just so happens to be married to that epic fighter that had a long day

Just remember, what happens in the Tavern, does not always stay there

Inevitability
2015-12-18, 11:37 AM
First real D&D campaign I ever DM'ed. The players were in a town where a small rebel movement was fighting the town's tyrannical ruler. They'd just arrived, and being the typical players they were, immediately went to the nearest tavern. They picked up some rumors of the rebels and the ongoing conflict, but nothing major.

Out of the blue, one PC says: 'I rise, point at the barkeeper, and accuse him of being in league with the rebels.' As could be expected, a crowd of very confused people starts shouting at him, others leave, and a few guards enter to make sure things don't get out of hand.

The PC walks up to the guards and demands they investigate the barkeeper's home (just behind the bar). After some great social skill checks, the guards agree to do so.

What the players didn't know was that I had planned for this barkeeper to be a supporter of the rebel movement. When the guards return, they also bring evidence. The barkeeper is sentenced to death, and the PC's request to be given ownership of the tavern as reward.

So yeah, that's how my first D&D session ended with the players stealing someone's business.

arrowstorm
2015-12-18, 01:20 PM
It was my first time playing any table top RPG, and I had chosen a ranger who dumped Charisma. So, with my -1 modifier, I tried to "sit in the corner and look really cool". I crit failed. Twice. After that, we found a secret door in the basement where the dragon cultists and dragonkin were hiding (HotDQ) favored enemy: dragons, Things that killed my family: Dragons. The rest of my party had left and there were 5, so I ran, blocked the door, and may or may not have burnt down the tavern.

EDIT: These are not spoilers, we went the wrong way and the DM had to wing it.

StealthyRobot
2015-12-18, 01:44 PM
we went the wrong way and the DM had to wing it.
You can never go the wrong way, wining it has produced some of the best moments.

Anyway, I started my group in a tavern once. With four casters who all knew prestidigitation. There was very much soiling of pants, and their employer almost stabbed the gnome.
In that same tavern the bard made a bet with the wizard that the bard would be able to successfully bed the maiden serving food by the next morning. He succeeded, but had no memory of what happened and had strange circular marks all over his body.

TheFamilarRaven
2015-12-18, 03:19 PM
I've had two memorable incidents that occured in taverns. Both from the same campaign.

The 1st was in a corrupt city (corrupt guards, gangs running amok, etc.). The PC's had pissed off the most notable syndicate in the city (burned down a lot of their property. Killed about 20 of their 'employees') So while they were relaxing in a non-descipt inn, one of the PC received a message that read "ha ha", and promptly activated the explosive runes, triggering the ambush the gang members had planned... Needless to say, the PC's painted the tavern red soon afterwards.

The 2nd incident occurred in a tavern the PCs actually owned. they had (big surprise) pissed off a cabal of witches (main group of enemies in the plot). So some of the witches decided the show up to their fine establishment. Summon demons and start throwing fireballs every which way. The battle completely leveled their inn.

good times.... GOOOOOOD times....

8BitNinja
2015-12-18, 04:26 PM
My very first tavern I went to, It was rigged with explosives

needless to say, the story ended there

RickAllison
2016-01-06, 05:21 AM
The very first tavern I went to was a recently-deserted one in a war between the goblins (our characters) and gnolls. We made as many Molotov cocktails as possible and went on a firebombing spree against the gnolls... Stupid humans shouldn't settle in goblin territory!

Tentreto
2016-01-06, 07:48 AM
My only real time in a bar was where my character owned it, as a semi-rest area for supernaturals ala Dresden files, but with no actual protection. It was nice to actually get on the rumour mill from the other side of the bar, especially as free drink was a great bribe.
Although, once, a wizard tried to find me, got in a fight with another wizard, kidnapped him, and then walked out. I decided I should probably cancel his tab.

TheCountAlucard
2016-01-06, 08:28 AM
Do bars count? :smalltongue:

My dwarf hacker, "L3NNĄ," got a call on his 'link about a potential new job, and was told that the meet would be at a bar nearby.

Only problem with that was, L3NNĄ was only sixteen and looked about fourteen. Even his best fake SIN wasn't gonna get him into that bar.

So, when the guy who arranged the meet (who turned out to be another PC, the party's face-man) begins the interviewing process, he talks with each PC in turn - a wired human street-samurai, a human mage, a big Cajun orc adept, and… what appears to be a Power Rangers-style ninja toy. :smalleek:

L3NNĄ performs the entire interview through the "Transmorphing Space Ninja!" drone, and for the entirety of the run, interacts with the team solely through a series of drones.

Boy, though, the others were surprised to eventually discover that the hacker who covered their asses the whole mission was a surly teenager. :smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2016-01-06, 01:18 PM
Do bars count? :smalltongue:

My dwarf hacker, "L3NNĄ," got a call on his 'link about a potential new job, and was told that the meet would be at a bar nearby.

Only problem with that was, L3NNĄ was only sixteen and looked about fourteen. Even his best fake SIN wasn't gonna get him into that bar.

So, when the guy who arranged the meet (who turned out to be another PC, the party's face-man) begins the interviewing process, he talks with each PC in turn - a wired human street-samurai, a human mage, a big Cajun orc adept, and… what appears to be a Power Rangers-style ninja toy. :smalleek:

L3NNĄ performs the entire interview through the "Transmorphing Space Ninja!" drone, and for the entirety of the run, interacts with the team solely through a series of drones.

Boy, though, the others were surprised to eventually discover that the hacker who covered their asses the whole mission was a surly teenager. :smallbiggrin:

Bars definitely count

As long as it's a place with booze, it counts

Talion
2016-01-06, 03:47 PM
Let me see...there was the time the party woke up at a tavern after arriving in town the previous night. They proceeded to order breakfast, almost started a fight with the bouncer, frightened a noble woman and then started stalking her through the city streets, only to lose sight of her when the guards asked where they were off to in such a hurry and what they were doing with a loaded crossbow in the middle of town. They eventually ended up at a much seedier tavern. All in all, not entirely productive.

On the other hand, they did find out that the first tavern owner didn't just serve alcohol...suffice to say, the right product for the right client at the right price.

illyahr
2016-01-06, 04:10 PM
I played a bard who specialized in all knowledge skills. He was a monstrous diplomancer and could talk almost anyone into almost anything. After one-too-many near-death experiences, he retired and is now an information broker, using his Leadership feat to be the guild master of all wandering bards (it's why any random bard you ask will have the information you need). How does this relate to a tavern? Where do you think all the best information goes? He opened his own tavern that serves as his information network hub. Passing adventurers are frequently compensated with free food and lodging if they bring him a juicy bit of information he hasn't heard yet.

8BitNinja
2016-01-06, 06:03 PM
Actually, Night Clubs, restaurants, Mos Eisley, Bars, and Soda Fountains all count

goto124
2016-01-07, 12:08 AM
Night club?

I once ran a night club with fantasy creatures - the bartender was a half-dragon, for example. My barbarian's boyfriend chatted up with my paladin, and the next thing we know [fade to black] all three of them became an item.

8BitNinja
2016-01-07, 01:23 PM
Night club?

I once ran a night club with fantasy creatures - the bartender was a half-dragon, for example. My barbarian's boyfriend chatted up with my paladin, and the next thing we know [fade to black] all three of them became an item.

A Paladin is not an item, it is a most prestigious position (don't take this seriously, it's just a joke)

But wait, where did Mr. and Mrs. Conan go?

My party walked into a fantasy night club once, all the drinks were drugged and the guy who did that blew the place up

The party was all inside

I was the GM

DigoDragon
2016-01-07, 02:06 PM
There was a tavern in a faraway land called 'The Adventurer's Encounter'. Owned and operated by a retired adventurer, the party stopped here for dinner and some rooms for the night. They noticed that all the servers had a number of stars embroidered on their aprons (anywhere from 1 to 5). The party assumed that it was for the years of service the servers have done working at the tavern. The party's rogue decides to convince one of the servers with a 5-star apron to meet him at his room tonight for a little 'encounter' of his own (and to bring a friend). She agrees.

Later that night the team cleric could not sleep and went downstairs, passing the 5-star servant (and her friend, a 4-star servant) on the way to the bar. The cleric finds the barkeep still cleaning glasses so she strikes up a conversation on the local gossip. She is curious to know more about the embroidered stars. She asks the barkeep about them and he explains-- The stars represent the experience of the server as a former adventurer. They all have quit their 'murder-hobo' lifestyle for whatever reason and work here as a way to settle down. However, they also provide a side service: would-be adventurers can hire them to test their mettle, where losing to the server is a good way to know you need more practice before you go out adventuring.

I then hand the cleric a note:
"Each star on the apron represents about 4-5 class levels worth of challenge Rating."

Then the rogue screamed.

It took the cleric, wizard, ranger, and two police officers to straighten out the miscommunication. The rogue survived, but never hit on a tavern server again. :smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2016-01-07, 02:28 PM
There was a tavern in a faraway land called 'The Adventurer's Encounter'. Owned and operated by a retired adventurer, the party stopped here for dinner and some rooms for the night. They noticed that all the servers had a number of stars embroidered on their aprons (anywhere from 1 to 5). The party assumed that it was for the years of service the servers have done working at the tavern. The party's rogue decides to convince one of the servers with a 5-star apron to meet him at his room tonight for a little 'encounter' of his own (and to bring a friend). She agrees.

Later that night the team cleric could not sleep and went downstairs, passing the 5-star servant (and her friend, a 4-star servant) on the way to the bar. The cleric finds the barkeep still cleaning glasses so she strikes up a conversation on the local gossip. She is curious to know more about the embroidered stars. She asks the barkeep about them and he explains-- The stars represent the experience of the server as a former adventurer. They all have quit their 'murder-hobo' lifestyle for whatever reason and work here as a way to settle down. However, they also provide a side service: would-be adventurers can hire them to test their mettle, where losing to the server is a good way to know you need more practice before you go out adventuring.

I then hand the cleric a note:
"Each star on the apron represents about 4-5 class levels worth of challenge Rating."

Then the rogue screamed.

It took the cleric, wizard, ranger, and two police officers to straighten out the miscommunication. The rogue survived, but never hit on a tavern server again. :smallbiggrin:

What were the Tavern Wench's classes

It could've gotten really ugly if they were fighters

Bard1cKnowledge
2016-01-07, 02:48 PM
The party rogue and the party druid got into a lively debate about bar ethics and the handling of precious information. The paladin won

Jay R
2016-01-07, 05:10 PM
I was introducing a new PC, so I arranged that the group was trying to find a contact in the secret organization. Both the original party and the new PC had signs and countersigns. They were supposed to meet in a tavern.

The new PC started by trying to pick the pocket of a wealthy-looking gentleman, who, as it happened, was a PC. He got caught, they fought, and they threw him out of the tavern. Then they tried to find their contact - whom they had just run off.

Every time the new PC tried to get back into the tavern so he could meet up with them, the group threw him out - through the window, and then went back to annoying the other patrons and trying to find their contact, whom they had just defenestrated.

They eventually annoyed one drunk man enough that they got into a duel, which their guy lost. (They were convinced he could beat any drunk fencer. Yes, the guy was drunk. He was also Athos.)

Only after Athos had wounded their best fencer, and still wouldn't respond to their code words, was the would-be pickpocket able to sneak up and give the countersign without being attacked.

DigoDragon
2016-01-07, 07:33 PM
What were the Tavern Wench's classes

It could've gotten really ugly if they were fighters

The 5-star was a cleric of Kord. Her friend was a TWF ranger.

Sam113097
2016-01-07, 09:40 PM
I once ran a campaign that began with the PCs surviving a shipwreck and making it ashore with only a few spare belongings (They all agreed to starting with little to no supplies beforehand, I'm not evil). The paladin scraped through a battle with a giant crab armed with only a driftwood club.

Later, following the ancient tradition of introducing new PCs in taverns, the bedraggled party arrived at a seaside inn, looking for a bard they had been planning to meet when their ship arrived. However, all they could see was a crowd of people surrounding the open doors of the inn, cheering loudly. They fought through the crowd and into the building, only to see Brigham the bard, standing on a table, shirtless, serenading the enthralled crowd with a pan-pipes rendition of "Bend Ova" by Lil' Jon featuring Tyga.

And that's how they earned enough money to buy equipment.

goto124
2016-01-08, 02:14 AM
Brigham the bard, standing on a table, shirtless, serenading the enthralled crowd with a pan-pipes rendition of "Bend Ova" by Lil' Jon featuring Tyga.

I wonder what Brigham's player was doing at that time...

Sam113097
2016-01-08, 12:00 PM
I wonder what Brigham's player was doing at that time...

It was his idea, and he was very... active during the description:smallbiggrin:
(The song is a reference to Parks and Recreation, and his character was supposed to be a medieval Jean-Ralphio)

braveheart
2016-01-08, 12:27 PM
First thing to know, my group plays with wimsey cards (if you aren't familiar, it lets players have some limited 1 time per session GM ability based on what the card says), second we have about 12 people playing in this group, 3rd we had fought off a group of Orc pirates earlier that day, now to the story

The party's bard wanted to make some coin and started performing at the tavern near the docks, he was in the middle of retell ing our days exploits against the Orc pirates, when 30 orcs walk into the bar. Imidiately about 10 people get up and hand our GM wimsey cards about 1/2 to help the bard and 1/2 to harm her, the GM made a ruling that the location was so thoroughly assaulted with extra planar magic that the building collapsed on itself killing every non PC in there.

DaveSonOfDave
2016-01-08, 06:12 PM
The party walked into a tavern full of seedy pirates who didn't take kindly to outsiders coming into their turf.

Our halfing Barbian jumped on a table and shouted "Drinking contest!"

Eight pints with the pirate captain later, they were among friends.

goto124
2016-01-08, 09:12 PM
It was his idea, and he was very... active during the description:smallbiggrin:

Did you have a strong table and a high ceiling?

Sam113097
2016-01-09, 02:26 PM
Did you have a strong table and a high ceiling?
I've seen a lot of people play air guitar in my life, but that was the first time I saw someone play the air panpipes!

8BitNinja
2016-01-11, 03:51 AM
When you get a Bard on a lot of drink, the fun begins

Personal experience

DigoDragon
2016-01-11, 06:52 AM
When you get a Bard on a lot of drink, the fun begins

In my experience, it's fun no matter what the class. Except maybe necromancers. Few people understand their nuanced sense of humor. :smallbiggrin:

8BitNinja
2016-01-11, 02:19 PM
In my experience, it's fun no matter what the class. Except maybe necromancers. Few people understand their nuanced sense of humor. :smallbiggrin:

It's all fun and games, until the bartender is killed and reanimated