PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Best "Assassin" Spells

Levism84
2015-12-19, 02:43 AM
I was kicking around the idea of having an NPC for my current campaign or a PC in a future campaign be a magical "assassin" of sorts. However, I was trying to figure out which spells or combination of spells would work for various set ups. For example, if the assassin was supposed to locate a specific target, is there a spell that would give them an edge in tracking them down? I mean, locate creature can only do so much. If the assassin wanted to make it look like an accident, what spells would work best to leave behind little evidence of foul play or clues for PCs (or NPCs) to follow? Spells that deal psychic damage might be the best route since they wouldn't leave physical evidence of damage.

I was just curious about what you guys thought would be the best ways to integrate magic into an assassin?

djreynolds
2015-12-19, 02:47 AM
The Paladin OoV has some cool spells for movement, like dimension door and misty step. Definitely psychic damage. And some like Phantasmal Killer.

Corran
2015-12-19, 03:19 AM
Some spells that you should consider picking up, are: Disguise Self (or better yet, alter self), invisibility, misty step, dimension door, teleport or etherealness. Hunter's mark is also a low level spell that allows you to better track your quarry. Spells like hold and dominate person can play their part as well (hold someone for an easy kill, or dominate someone to do your dirty work). I would also suggest looking into the sorcerer's metamagic subtle spell, as it could prove useful under certain circumstances. If you want to take out someone quickly with spells, then disintegrate is one of your best options, if you want a spell with an attack roll (for potential critical double damage), then upcasting a scorching ray might be your best bet.

hymer
2015-12-19, 04:14 AM
It's probably not what you're looking for, but Conjure Elementals for an Invisible Stalker. They know the location of their target, as long as they are on the same plane. And they're invisible, of course.

SpawnOfMorbo
2015-12-19, 03:13 PM
I was kicking around the idea of having an NPC for my current campaign or a PC in a future campaign be a magical "assassin" of sorts. However, I was trying to figure out which spells or combination of spells would work for various set ups. For example, if the assassin was supposed to locate a specific target, is there a spell that would give them an edge in tracking them down? I mean, locate creature can only do so much. If the assassin wanted to make it look like an accident, what spells would work best to leave behind little evidence of foul play or clues for PCs (or NPCs) to follow? Spells that deal psychic damage might be the best route since they wouldn't leave physical evidence of damage.

I was just curious about what you guys thought would be the best ways to integrate magic into an assassin?

This may be the Darksun talking but you should may the character a Valor Bard.

Mjolnirbear
2015-12-19, 04:15 PM
Well all fictional assassins spend days gathering information about their foes until they find a way. Divination seems a no-brainer. Locate object to find your target's favourite ring? Subject to the details of the spell since I've never actually read it. Serving, bribery, charm spells for interrogation (enchanter wizard maybe)... Then put poison into his drink. A drug that reduces constitution saves mixed with the poison. A drug that clouds the mind and enhances Suggestion. A clotting agent introduced into a tiny wound.

1) learn everything you can
2) find the strengths and weaknesses
3) nullify the strengths and exploit the weaknesses
4) always have an escape plan

It seems to me the most flexible character would be a bard. Skills, spells, charisma, and not useless with a weapon. But a diviner or enchanter can be very strong; so would a rogue, a trickster cleric or a paladin of vengeance.

bid
2015-12-19, 05:34 PM
Hex is perfect to "help" someone fall down the stairs.

SpawnOfMorbo
2015-12-19, 05:43 PM
Hex is perfect to "help" someone fall down the stairs.

Not really, unless you are pushing them with the Shove maneuver too. If it is a trap it will typically be a Dexterity Saving Throw, which Hex doesn't effect.

Flashy
2015-12-19, 06:16 PM
Phantasmal Killer is pretty much the quintessential dead without a mark on them spell. It's terrible, but it's thematic.

Temperjoke
2015-12-19, 06:38 PM
You might want Feather Fall for when you Leap of Faith off buildings into haystacks.

Blood of Gaea
2015-12-19, 07:04 PM
Scrying followed by a Tsunami.

Find or summon a celestial, an elemental, a fey, or a fiend, then cast Planar Binding on it, send it to kill the target.

Meteor Swarm, then Plane Shift, or other teleport away.

Plane Shift through your familiar, then Plane Shift or Teleport away.

Send a Simulacrum after them.

Mass Suggestion their friends to stab them repeatedly the next they see them.

With a magic assassination, the trick is to never actually be there, and if you happen to have been close when it happened, get at least 10 miles away, preferably on another plane, ASAP. Also, cover your tracks.

17 Wizard, 3 Sorcerer would probably make the best magical assassin. 17 Wizard for 9th levels spells and Wizard flexibility, 3 Sorcerer for Subtle and Heightened Metamagics, you can sacrifice spell slots if more Sorcery points are needed.

-------------------------------------------

If what you want is an assassin that actually kills them with weapon, and just wants some support spells. Then you want Invisibility and Divination.

SpawnOfMorbo
2015-12-19, 07:06 PM
Phantasmal Killer is pretty much the quintessential dead without a mark on them spell. It's terrible, but it's thematic.

It's not that bad of a spell for times you don't want to be in a direct fight or something.

4d10 psychic damage at a range of 120' which means you can hide and cast the spell and not many will know you did it. Hell, you could get this to lead the target into a trap so that it looks like an accident killed the target.

"I don't know officer, I saw him run right out in front of that horse and cart screaming something about his mother in law... You might want to go talk with her".

(note: I get along very well with my mother in law, i just love the stereotype)

Flashy
2015-12-19, 08:04 PM
I just don't love that the target gets two saves to end the effect before they take any damage. It's not very reliable unless you can find a target with hideously bad wisdom saves.

You make a good point about it being more effective against people you don't need to die absolutely right this second though, I hadn't considered that.

SpawnOfMorbo
2015-12-19, 08:18 PM
I just don't love that the target gets two saves to end the effect before they take any damage. It's not very reliable unless you can find a target with hideously bad wisdom saves.

You make a good point about it being more effective against people you don't need to die absolutely right this second though, I hadn't considered that.

Eh, even at a +2 or +3 you have a good chance of causing the target to be under the effect.

Of course, I wouldn't go with the 4th level spell. I would go with Phantasmal Force since I wouldn't use it for the damage but to lead the target into a trap accident.

Levism84
2015-12-20, 02:29 AM
A lot of really good suggestions. It seems like the split is between using magic to supplement a weapon assassination and using magic as the source of assassination.

Looking over the PHB, I forgot that dream allows you to give the target a nightmare that deals 3d6 psychic damage (more than enough to knock-off a commoner or other low CR target reliably). I just wish there was a way to boost the damage dream deals. However, going to the trouble of gathering something of the target to grant disadvantage on their save against the nightmare would also be a cool thematic mini-adventure.

Flashy
2015-12-20, 02:06 PM
Worth remembering that the nightmarish dream also prevents them gaining any benefit from the long rest - including recovering hit points.

Levism84
2015-12-20, 03:05 PM
Worth remembering that the nightmarish dream also prevents them gaining any benefit from the long rest - including recovering hit points.

So you could have an assassin who dream assassin's the target each night until they are dead from hit points or die of exhaustion? Sweet.

JackPhoenix
2015-12-20, 03:14 PM
Disintegrate. You won't have to concern yourself with hiding the body when there's no body left. Also, takes care of pesky Speak with Dead and Raise Dead.

Conjure Animals/Fey for random wildlife attacks if your target likes walks in the woods. YMMV, though, some targets are good enough to deal with wolves and random mammoth tramplings in the city park are suspicious.

Phantasmal Force, Telekinesis and illusions in general may be helpful for staging "accidents"

SpawnOfMorbo
2015-12-20, 03:19 PM
So you could have an assassin who dream assassin's the target each night until they are dead from hit points or die of exhaustion? Sweet.

You could also make this a curse or something for the PC that kills the NPC (or closest creature that isn't an Elf).

Whenever the cursed creature sleeps the curse takes over their subconscious and sends out evil energy to a creature known to the PC. The curse finds the closest/random ally that is also asleep and casts Dream on them (Wisdom Save DC 15 or 20, you want this to be HARRRD to resist). If the target of the Dream succeeds on their saving throw then the curse won't target them again for 48 hours. If the target fails the saving throw then the curse will target that same creature the next time the cursed creature and the target is asleep. If both the cursed creature and the target aren't asleep at the same time after 24 hours the curse will pick a new target.

The only way to remove the curse is to heal the afflicted in *insert holy site* while they wash themselves with *insert some random creature's blood*.

The party will think that the DM is doing something to them or there are monsters around when they sleep when really the more long rests they take the more they hurt themselves.