PDA

View Full Version : what can you do when you're on the ground?

thatwolfguy
2007-06-12, 07:45 AM
other than, basically, "getting up provokes an attack of opportunity" and "crawling provokes an attack of opportunity" i can't really find much about what you can do when you're on the ground, like if you get tripped or something, or if you get dropped in combat and then get healed. is there any material that someone can point me to that talks about what you can do if you're on the ground? like can you draw out a wand and fire it at your opponent? can you cast spells from the ground? is there anything about this in the books? please point me in the right direction.

thanks

dave

Ranis
2007-06-12, 08:32 AM
I don't know if it's 100% correct or not, but I always allow my PC's to take their 5-foot step as a free action to roll 5 feet in the opposite direction of their opponent to stand up.

Human Paragon 3
2007-06-12, 08:40 AM
I don't know if it's 100% correct or not, but I always allow my PC's to take their 5-foot step as a free action to roll 5 feet in the opposite direction of their opponent to stand up.

That is not correct. While you're prone you can't take a five-foot step. You can't tumble either.

However, you CAN make normal attacks without provoking an attack of opportunity. You take a -4 penalty to your attacks though.

Also of note is your -4 AC penalty against mele and +4 AC bonus against ranged attacks.

Kurald Galain
2007-06-12, 09:03 AM
Quickened dimension door?

Ethdred
2007-06-12, 11:41 AM
Using wands and similar on the floor is fine, and wouldn't provoke an AoO. Similarly spellcasting would be as normal. Also, you could just go for a grapple - that would provoke an AoO anyway, so you lose nothing, and could either bring your opponent down to where you are, or lift yourself up. And a trip attempt wouldn't have any side effects :)