PDA

View Full Version : Deathwatch - Legends of the Reach IC

Adamusa
2015-12-19, 04:07 PM
Chapter 1: The Shadow of Madness

http://i.imgur.com/yysl6hG.png

Aboard Watch-Station Erioch, serfs and servitors go about their business as normal. Kill-teams train in the many sparring areas and firing ranges aboard the station, but your own team has been called to the briefing room.

As each of you arrive, you notice that the place is empty. Normally serfs are cleaning or the Techmarines are maintaining the ancient technology used in the holographic projectors, but it is conspicuously silent. Each of the kill team takes a seat in the massive chairs specially designed for Astartes and settles down to wait.

It is not long before you hear heavy footfalls outside and another massive form enters through the doorway. You instantly recognise the yellow shoulderpad and the rock-like countenance of Watch-Captain Alyxander. Following him is a much smaller man, though no less impressive in his gilded power armour. The Captain and the Inquisitor move to the end of the briefing table and survey you for a moment. The Watch-Captain's commanding voice booms out a second later.

"Greetings, brothers. You are no doubt wondering why you have been called here. Inquisitor Holt will put those enquiries to rest shortly. I ask that you listen and grant him the same respect you grant me," Alyxander thunders. Inquisitor Holt winces slightly at the Astartes' voice, but lays some papers down on the table and studies them. After a few seconds, he looks back up at you. His eyes are oddly haggard and he looks drained.

"Forgive me for taking over your briefing theatre. A few days ago, we received a strange report from the Canis Salient," he says. Holt presses a few buttons on the table and a holographic display springs to life, the blue light illuminating the room. He pauses to survey the hologram, which flickers through a preponderance of the Tau forces and their sympathisers which dominate the Canis Salient.

"The account describes a "hail of dark daggers" that fell in the middle of a battle. The local Imperial Guard tried to send us a sample of one, but the box arrived empty. Of even more significance however is that the Omega Vault revealed another sub-chamber immediately after the report was uploaded to the Fortress's central cogitator."

"Since then, we've been trying to see what other data we can correlate with this incident. We found one pict of some... interest, he explains. He turns an ornate cog on the console in front of him and a still pict on the hologram eclipses everything else. In it, a fierce battle rages between Vespid and the Guard, all darkened by a jagged, ominous shadow. He adjusts another dial and the view of the frozen screen pans back. Despite the complete view of the landscape, no object exists that could possible cast the inexplicably large shadow. The Inquisitor circles the dark shape with his finger.

"We believe that this is the same location described by the report in question. As you can see, there is clearly something abnormal about it. I would have sent my own agents to investigate, but the Omega Vault's response interests the entire Chamber of Vigilance. We also believe that the Tau have deployed command units in response. If there is something dangerous, or something connected to the Vault, we cannot afford to let it fall to the enemy, he says, then pauses for any input the Kill-team might wish to share.

Toxic Mind
2015-12-19, 07:46 PM
Corlis Vahn

The Raptor Marine, unhelmeted, as was his custom within the Watch Fortress, even if armored, gestures briefly with his hand. "Inquisitor Holt. You spoke of the Omega Vault opening another sub chamber. What was contained within it, if it pertains to our mission?" Corlis is well and familiar with the secrecy of both the Inquisiton and the Deathwatch. His own Chapter was passably fond of secrecy as well.

Hrolff
2015-12-19, 10:18 PM
Temur will lean forward in his seat and stare with interest at the image of the shadow. He is trying to see if there is anything familiar about it based on the outline.

Compared to Captain Alyxander, he speaks comparatively quietly and with the aid of the implant on his neck. 'Inquisitor, are there any records of this phenomena having happened before. Whether on this planet or elsewhere?'

Denomar
2015-12-20, 05:27 AM
"Moreover. Why didn't you simply bomb the area into the Aetherium." Vult's face is as expressionless as a helmet could be. Although even distorted by the vox his tone is abrupt.

mr1135
2015-12-20, 05:56 AM
Elias Galabrand

Entering behind his more eager companions, the Black Templar absent-mindedly takes note of the lack of maintenance staff as he approaches the table.

Although they have spent little time alongside one another due to their kill-team's recent inception, he has spent much of the time since reviewing their medical files. Much of the information within the reports went as expected, that is aside from their Black-Shield brother. Having been part of the Deathwatch before, Elias was vaguely aware of their existence and the reasons behind these Astartes. The circumstances behind this man's exile from his chapter may be worrisome to most, but to the Apothecary, the root of his vexation is different. Much like his's past, Vult's medical reports comes highly redacted. Without knowing his chapter or Primarch, Elias is greatly limited in effectively diagnosing any geneseed issues that may arise. Thus far, all requests to have said information disclosed to him have come back denied by the Watch Commander. If the data he seeks will not be provided to him by the Deathwatch, then he must earn the trust of his wayward comrade and gain the information directly from the source. He refuses to be be found wanting if the situation is ever to arise in which he must vouch for his teammate's purity. He will do his duty unto death if necessary.

As the others began to congregate around the conference table, he casually pulls out a chair beside himself and gestures to Volt before sitting. Listening to the Inquisitor and then his team members, Elias remains silent as the conversation grows around him. A secret Xenos weapon that the Omega room had anticipated or had prepared for? Most peculiar.

Unable to hold back his curiousity any longer, Elias waits until there is a pause in the questioning before interjecting. "I concur with Vult Inquisitor. To not have seized the opportunity to destroy such an object...I can only assume that we are to be sent to investigate this source then?"

Checkmate-Pony
2015-12-20, 07:30 AM
The Blue mountain sat sunken in and his long white hair like an avalanch rolling down his armour

A Shadow... Halvgrim said, breaking in. His voice was slow, like an old tree groaning

You cannot bomb a shadow, but I wonder, why if we have a picture of a battle cast in shadow, why no one took a picture of the thing that cast that shadow, surely it must have been worth immortality as a pict, were it of such magnitude

he breathed out scepticly

Why are we worried about a shadow; When we don't even know what cast it?

Adamusa
2015-12-20, 07:49 AM
"Before I answer your other questions, I shall answer the first one. You should see what the Vault revealed," the Inquisitor says. He gestures upwards and the machine spirits that control the room's functions respond. The top slides off a nearby pedestal and with a hiss of objection from the ancient actuators, three identical archeotech luminators rise into view from within. The engravings are of clear Imperial craftsmanship and a soft blue light shines perpetually through the intricate stained glass chimneys. The Inquisitor looks back at the Kill-Team.

"These are the items the Vault presented. Now, with regards to bombing the area, there is a simple explanation. We do not know what effect it could have. It may destroy whatever is casting this shadow, yes, or it could provoke something worse," Holt explains. He looks at the Rune Priest, then continues.

"That is exactly the problem. There is nothing that could have cast a shadow of that size anywhere in the vicinity. The lack of that is precisely WHY I am concerned about this. To that extent, I am sending the Kill-team to Baraban to investigate this shadow."

Holt pauses again, looking back up at the pict and then at the luminators.

"By the sacred agreement between my order and yours, I request your aid in bringing light to the darkness once more. Are there any further questions?"

Aneurin
2015-12-20, 08:09 AM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

Hroki grunts as he shifts to peer more closely at the pict-capture while the others are distracted by the new lights. He cuts a figure of barbaric splendour with a rough-spun tunic trimmed with dark fur, bedecked in rune-charms, bone-based jewellery and bronze arm-bands. Over it all is a cloak of glittering, gleaming scales - each one seemingly a chip of ice that catches the curious lights of the archeotech devices and flares into life. His red hair and red beard spill over both.

"And this shadow, it is linked with the attacks for sure? Or could this be coincidence?" he rumbles after a moment's intent study. "Tracking a shadow alone will be no mean feat; no scent, no tracks, no mark of passage save for those who see it. A worthy hunt for certain, and one I would gladly undertake, but this creature may not soon be caught if there truly is no more to it than what we see here," Hroki adds evenly, as he looks around at the rest of the kill-team. The shadow will, no doubt, prove an interesting challenge, but the rest of this pack is something of a puzzle; their quiet ways and the silence is a trifle bemusing.

Toxic Mind
2015-12-20, 12:38 PM
"But we have skills that other hunters do not, Brother Hroki." Corlis smiles. His eyes are slightly disconcerting as he looks at his battle brother, as they share the same mutation as his parent chapter, and are pitch black without any color. His skin is still colored, and not yet the strange white of older Raven Guard and Raptors, though even now it begins to head that way. He smiles widely to soften any insult that might be implied by his comment. "It is a foolish foe who believes that the shadows are protection from my sight." He says with perfect certainty. In truth, Corlis was excited. He found most of his missions to be boring - go to place, bring death to a foe, leave. Oh, it was glorious to be sure, but it grew old. Now, he would be hunting - truly hunting - with a kill team uniquely suited to the task. No bumbling fools to stumble blindly into ambushes. It would be glorious in truth.

Denomar
2015-12-20, 12:49 PM
Vult nods. "We can confirm that this is not merely an error of the camera?" His tone lightens.

"I will be happy to bring the might of the emperor's favored to this battlefield in search of such a thing. Even if the investigation proves fruitless we shall bring war to the Tau and that shall be glorious!"

Vult brings his fist to his chest with a crash. He clearly relishes the prospect of doing what he was created to do. Gesturing to the pieces of archeotech Vult says "So, Inquisitor. What are these baubles?"

Checkmate-Pony
2015-12-20, 02:12 PM
There are so many legends and rumors, all mysterious and vague surrounding pictures, and often how poorly they were taken

The Runepriest had his eyes closed now giving as if resting, his face a rock like appearance as one could not really see his mouth moving in all that hair.

Rumors of the 'Migö' that come from the mountains of Terra and the Níðhöggr of Albion

Mysterious pictures are always blamed on some strange, dangerous and super natural fiction He paused then opend his eyes, the blue within blue glow of a full moon sky And yet... how can we know, who now lives from the time of old pictures?

I find it an honor to attempt to debunk a mystery photo. the old giant made a weak chuckle before speaking slowly, almost threateningly again stretching all short words

And then I'll decide weather it is super natural or not

mr1135
2015-12-20, 03:36 PM
Elias Galabrand

Sitting back into the chair, Elias is pleased to hear the righteous zeal in the voice of his new battle-brothers. Though his experience has long shown him that zeal alone was often never enough. At the Runepriest's mention of the supernatural, the hairs on the back of his neck began to rise and the embers of the Black Templar's hate is once more stoked into a flame.

Xenos and Witchcraft? The Tau with their heretical technology was more than enough to warrant such anger...could it be that these blue alien filth have finally crossed the final line of debasement? To think it possible that they now consort with the tainted powers of Chaos as well...

His choler rising, Elias murmurs a litany of hate under his breathe to bring his fury back under control. Taking a moment to calm himself, the Apothecary quietly reviews the facts within his mind before speaking out once more.

"And what of this missing piece Inquisitor? What is the account and reasoning behind its disappearance in transit?"

Adamusa
2015-12-20, 03:51 PM
Inquisitor Holt shakes his head.

"I do not know what happened to the missing sample. The Guard representatives informed me that one of these dark daggers would be contained in a storage crate, but when it arrived there was nothing inside," he explains. The Inquisitor gestures at the luminators on the pedestal.

"These are very old luminators, as best we can tell. You see them all around you in Erioch, though I do not know what special purpose these ones may possess. I can only assume it is something related to this shadow," he finishes, folding his arms behind his back. As he does so, Watch-Captain Alyxander's voice thunders out again.

"There is little data to go on in this case. The Inquisitor has told you all he knows of this shadow. Anything else you will need to find for yourselves. The report originated from Epsilon Outpost four-two-zero, under the command of one Colonel Afton Hathe, thus it would be wise to start looking there. Go and prepare your wargear. Once you have finished arming, the Hunter-class frigate Spear of Fury is waiting to take you to Baraban. It will also serve as your extraction once required," the Imperial Fist booms. As he speaks, Inquisitor Holt passes small papers to each of the Kill-team. They appear to be information pamphlets on the planet Baraban.

Planetary Data: Situated in the Canis Salient, Baraban's geography is dominated by deciduous forests. The north-eastern and south-eastern continents are typical temperate ecosystems with four distinct seasons. The smaller, western continent is distinguished by several mountain ranges and lower prevalent temperatures due to the elevation. Occasional accounts suggest the ruins of a prior civilisation may underlie the forest terrain, but no formal exploration has ever been made as the planet is an active battlefront.

Military Disposition: At any time several regiments are active on Baraban. Major footholds exist on each continent, although the shifting of territory lines means that many bunkers and trenches built over the war's history by the Imperium are in enemy possession. The four largest stable Imperial holdings are Fort Avernus and the Epsilon Garrison on the northeast continent, Fort Dorn on the southeast continent and Faithspyre Station in the western mountains. Enemy forces are primarily Kroot and Vespid employing guerrilla tactics, with little evidence of Tau leadership. Despite the apparent lack of organisation in the enemy, the Imperial Guard has been unable to maintain a stable advantage. Crusade command lays the blame largely upon the planet’s unusual manifestations, but this would not be the first time environmental hazards became a scapegoat for poor leadership.

Lorekeeper’s Annotation: The so-called “Ghosts of Baraban” are an unfortunately well-documented phenomenon. The vast majority of Imperial troops stationed on the planet appear to have experienced visitations ranging from quiet voices to legions of the dead. Mortal minds are ill-suited to such experiences, and incident after incident exists of platoons deserting in fear or turning upon each other in madness. Reports compiled from previous Deathwatch missions and Storm Warden support for the Crusade enumerate at least five instances of Adeptus Astartes noting similar experiences. Two of these instances from the Erioch archives predate the Achilus Crusade by decades, casting serious doubt on Imperial theories that the Tau can claim responsibility for the phenomenon.

As the Kill-team reads through the information at hand, Alyxander continues.

"As an addition to what you requisition, I am authorising the use of one of our Storm-pattern Land Speeders. The forest canopy is too thick for standard vehicles to move around unhindered, thus you will require the Storm's mobility. Finally, you will be taking these luminators with you. Both myself and the Inquisitor feel that they may be of use, considering past experiences with the Omega Vault."

Denomar
2015-12-20, 06:58 PM
Vult gingerly takes the luminator. He is obviously attempting to restrain himself, grasping the little tool in ancient warplate was not an easy task under the best of circumstances and his power armor was thicker and even more awkward than most. Attaching the luminator to a free slot on his mag belt he then reached for the pamplet, and paused. Ancient Flash Lights were one thing. But paper was quite beyond his ability to grasp. Bowing to the Watch Captain and nodding to the Inquisitor Vult made the sign of the Aquila upon his chest.

"Ave Imperator. To the Armory brothers!"

He stomped off into the corridor. His jet black armor soon blending into the shadows of Watch Fortress Erioch. His gait betraying his excitement. Finally, another mission.

The days waiting in the Watch Fortress were interminably long. Even for one as long lived as an Astartes and Vult couldn't wait to breath fresh air again. At least, through the filtration masks of a helmet bolted on that is.

Hrolff
2015-12-20, 08:26 PM
Temur has been largely quiet while the others asked their questions. At the Captain's last words he will smile broadly. It would be good to be planetside again, and with a Land Speeder as mount. Erioch was an impressivly large fortress that he had taken to roaming through to the extent that he was allowed, but he still felt enclosed by the place.

Inquisitor Holt's attitude was familar to Temur from past experience, and it seemed wise to him. Better to learn something of a potential threat before destroying it, if only to make certain that the threat was truly ended. If such knowledge was dangerous, who better to bear the burden of it than the Astartes.

Temur will take another of the luminators and add it to his belt. Part of him was curious enough to want to examine it further, but he had no wish to damage the machine in the process. He will bow respectfully to Alyxander and Holt before following Vult to the armoury.

Aneurin
2015-12-21, 02:45 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

Hroki reaches out with his non-augmented arm - or, at least, his less augmented arm since his left still has several replacement fingers - and picks up the last of the luminators and turns it over slowly, examining it as the others leave.

"Curious. But how better to fight the shadows than with light in hand?" he gives a mirthless laugh as he rises and takes the proferred pamphlets on the planet in his other hand, a finely-wrought simulacra of bronze that - like the whole arm it belongs to - mimics its flesh-and-blood counterpart almost exactly, right down to the corded veins and bulging muscles. "It will be good hunting. Blessing of the Allfather be with you Watch-Captain. Inquisitor,"

Toxic Mind
2015-12-21, 02:51 PM
As Corlis heads towards the armory, he falls in next to Halvgrim. "Runepriest. Your kind see the tides of the Warp with more keen eyes than even mine. What is your thoughts on the so-called 'Ghosts of Baraban'? It is far more difficult to destroy a foe that I do not understand." Corlis does not take the last of the luminators unless no other claims it. His position is usually far behind his brothers - if the light dispels the Shadow, as he suspected their purpose was, it would likely do better in the hands of one of his Brothers more central to the fight.

As he reaches the armory, he takes two clips for his Stalker Bolter, never far from his side, Kraken and Stalker Rounds. The first for long range engagements with armored infantry, the second for silent assassinations. The bolt rounds go into the fire selector for easy cycling as needed. He leaves his heavy bolter in favor of a Lascannon, adding an integrated dot sight for easier targeting. If the reports of Tau command units were true, the devastation that the las-cannon could bring to armor would be helpful. If not, then the lascannon could still bring destruction to High Value Targets. One Shot, one kill - a sniper's modus operandi. Lastly, he takes a cameoline cloak. If there were Vespid in the air, it would not do for him to be discovered whilst alone and isolated from his Kill-Team.

Wargear acquired, he waits for his Brothers to get theirs as well, checking and re-checking his sights, and performing rituals of purification and accuracy on all his weapons.

mr1135
2015-12-21, 07:30 PM
Elias Galabrand

Taking a long look at the information within the pamphlet, Elias is unsettled by the lack of information regarding the Ghosts of Baraban. If these...visitations have exists from before the times of the Tau, then perhaps another force is in play. What if the wretched Xenos instead of creating, had instead accidentally unleashed a greater evil borne of this planet? Either way, the facts will have to be verified and this unnatural force eradicated.

Noticing that the others were leaving at once towards the armoury, the Apothecary rises slowly from his chair to follow. Approaches Alyxander, he spreads his hands in to form the Aquila and bows respectfully to the Astartes. "In the name of Dorn, we will not rest until we find the truth Watch Captain, so I swear." Pausing as if it were an afterthought, the turns to the Inquisitor and gives the man a nod before falling into the footsteps of his battle brothers.

Unlike his contemporaries, certain armaments of an Apothecary cannot be found in the hallowed spaces of an armoury. Calling to one of his serfs, he gives the man a dataslate listing the specific items of war in which he requires to be retrieved before heading towards the medical bay himself. Inputting his access codes, he retrieves a large vial of Deadlock of which he inserts into his Narthecium and a smaller one of Resuscitex into an injector that he maglocks onto his hip. Deadlock...though he loathes to have to leave any potential foe alive, his time in the Deathwatch has taught him that live retrieval is at times a necessary evil. If they are to get to the bottom of this mystery, interrogation of the enemy may just be required.

Making good time back into the armoury, he finds his team having nearly completed arming themselves. Finding his serf waiting for him at one of the stations, he quickly picks up the meltacharge and begins to run through the arming rites on the chainsword.

"So brothers, which amongst us will lead us on this mission?" Elias inquires as he adjusts the devotional chain attaching his Reductor onto his vambrace.

Toxic Mind
2015-12-21, 07:57 PM
Corlis Vahn

As the Apothecary asks his question, Corlis finishes the rites on his war-gear. Placing the Lascannon and its power supply in a cradle for transport, and motioning a serf over to take them to the bay for transport, he raises his still uncovered head. "I have led my Brothers many times before my service in the Deathwatch, Brother Apothecary. If it is seen fit, I can do so again." His voice is calm and assured, a confidence born of many missions in command, many successes and learning experiences over his years of service. Unlike most devastators, he provides a unique approach, preferring tactical overview, seeing the larger picture of the mission, and allowing his brothers to make their own decisions within that larger picture. He knows that most Astartes commanders lead from the front, but the same diversification that has made those who do not know him whisper of cowardice, has kept him, and his squad, alive for many years.

mr1135
2015-12-21, 09:25 PM
Elias Galabrand

Elias chuckles at the speed of which Vahn answers. "If memory serves..." looking at the Runepriest and Assault Marine in turn, "And correct me if I am wrong in saying so, but I do believe our fellow Sons of Russ have a tendency to venerate the devastators within their ranks as well. Addressing them along the lines of Long Toothed or some such? As long as you persecute the enemy without fail brother, then you will brook no arguments from me.

Pausing for a moment, he runs a few final checks through his Diagnosticator Helmet before latching it onto his belt. Elias eyes the Librarian for a split second before looking away and hands off his readied equipment for his serfs to be transported to the his personal arming chamber.

"Now if you will excuse me brothers. I would like to spend a few moments within the Reclusiam before we embark upon our mission."

With a nod, Elias departs from the Armoury and heads to have his mind and spirit cleansed in the presence of the Chaplains.

Denomar
2015-12-21, 10:09 PM
Vult is calibrating the sight of a finely worked Plasma Rifle as he listens to the exchange and bursts into laughter. "Who are we to deny the Sergeant his duty!" Clapping the weapon to his side Vult moves from the weapon rack to a rack of Chameoline cloaks. Taking one he tosses it straight over Corlis' head and pats the Iron Skull embedded in his helmet gingerly.

"Just do not let what happened on Bekrin V happen again. Maybe that will help keep the Lictors away."

I'm operating under the assumption that we have been a kill team for more than 30 seconds. We are Rank 2 after all.

Checkmate-Pony
2015-12-22, 08:57 AM
Before the armoury:

The Blue Mountain didn't awnser Corlis, he held up his hand saying he was contemplating, and he remained seated like a statue till all had left, he was in truth inventorying in his mind, he knew almost everything in the armoury, he just had to pick it selectively in his minds eye before he was bothered to move
--

Eventually he did go to the armoury with the others, and chuckled at the choice of a lascannon and shook his head silently

Looking back and fourth at them discussing who to be the leader when Elias Galabrand mentioned the Space Wolf heavy weapon unit

Ah yes Halvgrim snorted and looked up The Long Fangs, incredible boring people, they usually only have accounts of battles from behind the front lines, war stories are terrible when told through the sights of a gun. And usually so old they don't bother to remember the stupidities of when they were young and wild, but recklessness makes the best stories of failure or glory

The Rune Priest waited for a moment before speaking again, waiting till the moment Corlis was about to leave
"Wait, Corlis. I've been contemplating what you said, if I believe this shadow of Barbaran is related to the warp. Well, I don't like irresponsible speculations. But a lot of things are blamed on the superstitious when we don't understand it. Yet in light of these Illuminators and the Omega Vault, it reminds me of one of my favorite novels, not the story it tells, but the story of it's author and his unintentional prophetic writing

He took a breath and continued his winded anecdote with his slow ent like voice

Francesco Bert was a man from the planet of Alb, and he wrote a best seller of his homeworld called Desert Waves, it was a stunning piece of spiritual significance set on a fictional desert world of Karak, it is a political intrigue about the ruling mercantile houses who combat each other in a game of politics over the control of the resource rich world of Karak, whilst plots and conspiracies are made behind the scenes by production guilds and cults. This is very interesting because the author's own homeworld of Alb is a democracy, ruled by a council, a rare thing in our Imperium. Bert's book is set in a world where the government is hierarchical and controlled by money Not' at all like his home

Halvgrim looked down on the ground as if the story was about to turn dark

His novel reached a zenith in popularity and he would die 50 years after it's release, rich and happy, and proud I'm sure. But 20 years after his death, the world of Alb was very different, because in those 20 years Alb had seen a civil war and a change in governance. It is no longer a Democracy, the world of Alb to this day is ruled by Mercantile houses, production guilds and minor Imperial Creed cults who wage political wars of trade over Alb's resources.

Halvgrim's tone was downright sinister as he reached the conclusion

His homeworld now resembled the one he had made up for his Novel.
It's Ironic, he wrote a book which would unintentionally predict the future state of being 70 years after the first copy was released. I don't believe in fate, but there is some things, some stories so coincidental and which holds such gravitas, that they were simply meant to happen no matter what the universe might have intended

Halvgrim looked up again snapping out of his vague, long story

The Omega Vault producing for us a Luminator device to banish a shadow, seems like just such a coincidental fate that it must be true no matter what origin the Shadow has. Worry not if you do not understand it, history will pass as it is meant to

Hrolff
2015-12-22, 06:29 PM
As he entered the armoury Temur already knew what he needed for their undertaking. An auspex to find their quarry and explosives to kill it when the time came. He briefly looked at taking a chainsword as well, but discarded it with regret. That weapon had been carried by a fellow White Scar who had served with the Deathwatch in ages past, and was exquisitively well balanced. But he was not the swordsman that Hroki and Vult were, and anything that could get past them would likely be too dangerous a foe for him to deal with easily.

Temur had no problem with accepting Corlis as leader. The Raptor was good at what he did, and had led them ably in the past. As he examined the settings on a demo charge he will say, 'Bekrin V could have happened to anyone. The important thing is that we were successful.'

Halvgrim always surprised him, even for a holy man. That such a barbarous looking individual could be so thoughtful. 'I do not like the implications of that Halvgrim. To feel like we are performers running through a script. It is enough to see that our duties are done, but I wonder what other purpose the Omega Vault might serve that will only be revealed in time.'

Toxic Mind
2015-12-22, 06:48 PM
"I cannot help but agree with Brother Temur. Death comes for us all - no scion of Corax could deny that - but those who do not seek to avoid his gaze meet him with a great deal more haste." Corlis shakes his head slowly, though there is no condemnation in his gaze. He was well used to the differences in opinion among his Kill-team. It was part of what made them so effective - their strengths covered each others' weaknesses.

Bekrin V... not a memory Vahn liked to recall. A successful mission in the end, but at far greater cost than should have occurred. By the time he emerged from beneath the corpses of the two Lictors that had ambushed him, the target he was meant to silence - A Zoanthrope - had torn through almost half the Imperial Guard regiment arrayed against the Tyranid swarm. He made his shot, of course, and the beast fell beneath his Kill-Team's blades and bolters, but if he had remained undetected, it would have been a decisive victory, a crushing defeat for the Tyranid Hive. Instead, Bekrin V was still embroiled in endless war.

Corlis turns to Vult and fastens the cloak around his shoulders. There is a look of profound sadness upon his face. "Indeed, Brother. It is not an experience any of us wish repeated."

Checkmate-Pony
2015-12-22, 07:12 PM
Just like Bert, The creators of the Vault might have created something out of their own fantasy, but suddenly and ironically all this time later is a horrible reality Halvgrim does not delve deeper in it and took no weapons from the armoury, but a small Ornate Grenade with the queens face on it. The rest were mere tools or trinkets he already carried with him, even something as simple, as a Time piece.

Denomar
2015-12-23, 01:23 AM
As Corlis draws the cloak off of his face and fastens it around his shoulders he will be faced with a familiar sight, though perhaps a shock to those not familiar with the Space Marine Vult.

seven feet of sharpened adamantium with a wide quillion inlaid with mother of pearl depicting two stylized wolves, pointed directly at Corlis' chest.

The blade is not powered. And Vult is standing in a position where his arm is fully extended the tip only bare centimetre's from the Raptor's armored chest piece. When he speaks there is no trace of humor in his voice. If anything Vult's voice booms like a great temple bell and with all the gravitas of a warrior angel.

"Before you lead us again, Sergeant, will you be bound by oath to us? Will you swear upon this weapon that you shall do the duty of the Deathwatch? That so long as you stand that we shall not retreat or show mercy. That the mysteries of Baraban shall be brought to light, and if necessary brought to the torch in the name of the Emperor? I will hear your oath of the moment scion of Corax."

He steps forward and lowers the blade point first so it rests within easy reach of Corlis Vahn.

"Halvgrim. Will you witness this?"

Checkmate-Pony
2015-12-23, 08:36 AM
An oath of the moment? Halvgrim says puzzled, almost with an offensively aloft tone but explains why

That's a very archaic tradition I must say The Mountain chuckled Had we only but a hand left of our primarchs of which to write oaths of moment again as in those times

We took our oaths at the very gates of the Omega Vault, do we really need another?

Halvgrim Helgrimsen looked towards Corlis

We should not put more pressure on our friend than need be, he's only leading us, his eagerness and spirit to lead is enough an oath for me

he looked back at Vult

But if you insist, I'll hav'a Look at it. I'm not going anywhere

he said so casually giving a jolly smile which only his eyes gave away from that woolly beard of his

Denomar
2015-12-23, 09:51 AM
When Vult speaks his voice is softer. "No word is archaic so long as one voice remains to speak them."

Vult speaks no further. He simply stares at Corlis. Three times in three mission he has asked the same question to Corlis Vahn. As he has asked this same question to every squad leader he has ever served with, he wears a wistful smile beneath his helm. An Oath of the Moment was usually written by the oath taker, but the practice was so out of fashion after ten thousand years that only the most dramatized versions were remembered anymore.

But Vult was living testament to the beginning of the Astartes tradition and so long as he breathed those traditions would not die. For Vult, pressure was as foreign an emotion as fear.

If an oath taker is worthy, than he will speak.

Aneurin
2015-12-23, 12:56 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

"What, are we fighting each other? And you start without me?" Hroki laughs as he strides into the semi-tense silence, this time clad in power armour with the helm at his hip. The armour, only vaguely identifiable as being Mk. VII by the ferocious scowl of the helm is even more barbaric than before. The pauldrons are more archaic in style, and far lighter in construction - over the shoulders is draped not the skin of an ice wyrm, but a fragment of the great jaws framing the head and neck of the wearer in a toothy halo.

The smooth, unboken cloa of scales from earlier is gone, replaced by ragged strips of scaled hide that are fitted around the powerpack of the armour. The black ceramite is replaced in patches by bone, often shaped suspiciously like rents made by enormous claws and teeth. The edges of each plate are lined with the warding runes of Fenris, etched deep in the plates, along with all the former bearers of the hallowed and ancient suit.

Toxic Mind
2015-12-23, 02:35 PM
Corlis Vahn

Vahn holds up a hand to his squad-mates. He looks down at the sword pointed at his chest, and then up at Vult. "Your words are enough - I have none further to add." He places his hand upon the sword, drawing it until it touches the heart of the Aquila upon his chest. "Upon this matter, and by this sword, I swear."

Corlis was not one to sit by when a mystery presented itself, and after the first time Vult had brought up this 'oath of the moment', he had done some research into them. A bygone relic of the original Great Crusade, gone when the Legions dispersed. Still, he had learned some about them, in preparation for a time when one would be needed.

"Let us go - our transport awaits."

mr1135
2015-12-23, 03:30 PM
Elias Galabrand

Leaving the armoury, Elias stretches his neck and shoulders to release the latent tension that he was feeling. It's good to have a mission to look forward to again. For the past month, they've been at the Watch Station rearming and recovering from their previous excursion. Though battered, the Son of Corax had led them true. And though the Sargeant's melancholy since Bekrin is understandable, Elias still wish that the Raptor would take up his advice in paying the Chaplains a visit to have the burden lifted from his shoulders. They all mourn the loss of the Nova Marine in their own ways. Death is an inevitability for all Astartes and the man had died well in combat. What more can you ask for than to have been given the opportunity to enact the Emperor’s will?

Well it's as they say, the fewer the men, the greater share of glory I suppose.

Shaking his head gently and chuckling to himself, he looks up as he turns a corner just in time to see the approaching Space Wolf.

Clasping the man's arm in a warrior's handshake, the apothecary greets him with a grin on his face. "You're late worm crusher! The others are already finishing up their arming rites. Did fluffing out those pelts on armour keep you longer than expected?

Denomar
2015-12-23, 08:22 PM
Vult nods and sheathes the warblade. "Now we are sworn. Not just to the Deathwatch. But too each other. Just as it was in days long past." He draws Corlis into a quick embrace as is allowed by bulky power armor.

"Now you heard the Sergeant! There is a Thunderhawk out there with an especially comfortable seat in docking bay gamma!"

His last act in the armory is to dodge around Hroki and acquire the bulky jump pack which attaches itself to the rear of his armor with a bone jarring clunk. Ready to go, he awaits the command.

Aneurin
2015-12-24, 08:01 AM
Hroki Wyrm-Foe

"Fah, that is because I do not skulk around in ceramite shells when I am not going to battle!" Hroki guffaws as, with only the slightest effort, he tightens his grip on Elias' forearm and lifts the Black Templar - armour and all - to one side by the grip, before lowering him delicately back to the floor and walking on into the armoury and begins selecting items swiftly and surely, with little hesitation. "Think twice, charge once, hey? And I do not begrudge you your envy - one day we shall find something worthy of a trophy for you to cut your teeth on!"

mr1135
2015-12-24, 04:33 PM
Elias Galabrand

Slapping Hroki on his pauldron as he walks past, he can't help but to shake his head and smile as the big brute of an Astartes continues on his way.

Sometimes I think the only reason he accepted his secondment was so he can have an excuse to go hunting other Xenos game around the galaxy...

Nearly out of earshot, Vult's sudden bark of oath declaration snaps him out of his cheerful mood. The Black-Shield's at it again. The first time he had pulled out his weapon and challenged their chosen Sargeant to swear by his pledge, Elias had bristled at what seemed to be a breach of decorum and respect. Who was he, a chapterless exile no less, to demand such a thing from another of their kin at sword point. It was only when Vult named it as an Oath of the Moment, that the Black Templar's choler subsided. An outdated practice of such antiquity that even the Templars of Sigismund have ceased in its usage within their Eternal Crusade...which chapters still swears by such Oaths? In either case, if he is doing so again, Elias has little time. The Raptor will surely have them assemble in the embarkation deck momentarily. Picking up his speed, the Apothecary heads towards the Reliquarium to renew his own vows.

Aren't we all really just doing the same thing? Whatever name you give it...and however you ask of it, we all have our little Oaths to remind us of our neverending duties.

Adamusa
2015-12-25, 12:28 PM
The oath enacted and equipment drawn, the Kill-Team head towards the Thunderhawk that will take them to the Spear of Fury. Within minutes they are boarded and the transport hurtles from the docking bay towards the frigate, which is waiting some way from the station. As you approach, you see the ship proper, the kilometre-long hull narrow and sleek, blackened in the soot of war.

The Thunderhawk swoops into a docking bay and settles, the ramp dropping with a pneumatic hiss. As you disembark, you are greeted by the ship's captain, a broad battle-brother named Jaresh, of the Black Templars. He seems rather pleased to see a member of his own Chapter amongst you, but this good mood only lasts until Rune Priest Helgrimsen appears in front of him.

"Welcome to the ship... brothers," he says, almost unwilling to say the word in front of a perceived witch. I am Captain Jaresh and I will be commanding the ship on this journey. Whilst I shall be busy with the running of my vessel, I have appointed a battle-brother to be your liaison whilst you are aboard. Any requests you may have can be directed to him."

The Captain gestures to a young-looking Astartes beside him, then turns on his heel and departs, refusing to spend any more time near a psyker than he needs to. The younger marine speaks up.

"Greetings, honoured brothers! I am Brother Dane and as the Captain explained, I will be your liaison for this journey. Is there aught I can do for you now, or would you prefer to be taken to your quarters?"

Toxic Mind
2015-12-25, 01:53 PM
Corlis Vahn looks the ship up and down, taking in every detail. The spurning of their presence by the Captain does not go unnoticed, but now is not the time to address such matters. "Just to my quarters, Brother Dane." Vahn says taciturnly, his helmet covering his face.

mr1135
2015-12-25, 06:46 PM
Elias Galabrand

Turning to face the team, the Apothecary speaks softly, "I will speak with the Captain to...alleviate any concerns he may have during our time on his vessel. We will most likely be leaving via the Spear of Fury after all. It would not be prudent to alienate him further." Looking at Halvgrim before turning to Corlis for affirmation, he nods to the Raptor sergeant before jogging off to catch up with the Ship Master.

"One moment Captain!" Uncoupling his helm and securing it to his belt, he clasps his fist to his chest in salute before addressing his fellow Astartes. "Captain Jaresh, I am Apothecary Elias Galabrand. Formerly of Fighting Company Lazarus of the Donian Crusade. I understand that you have little time, and so I too shall keep this brief and direct."

Glancing back at his companions that are leaving the hanger, Elias straightens and looks the Captain directly in the eyes. "I understand your...reproof Captain. However, know that the Runepriest Halvgrim Helgrimsen of the Space Wolves has performed without issue on my watch as the Kill-Team's Apothecary. Know that there has been no record of taint, of mutation, and most importantly of no abuse in the use of his...abilities. And most of all, know that I have personally vowed within the Reliquary of Watch-Station Erioch to Suffer Not the Unclean to Live. You can rest assured I will exact my duty to the letter, in the name of Sigismund and the Primarch, in ensuring that no trouble will come from our team's presence upon your ship. I thank you for your time."

Though his tone was somewhat stern in his delivery, Elias bows respectfully to the Captain at the end of his speech. He can only hope that his direct address of what is most likely the root of the Ship Master's enmity be enough to abate any future conflict that may come.

Checkmate-Pony
2015-12-26, 12:41 AM
When Elias starts excusing for the Runepriest does he speak up

Eh- no, no my friend, Elias, it won't be necessary. He's a Black Templar and Black Templar are passionate, they must say their say

The Blue Mountain said, humbling himself before the Captain

We both know the Templar are just in their opinions of witchcraft, But Templar also know wiser people must decide their fate in the end

leaving on that short note, but no vague stories will comfort the Black Templars. Those who don't wish to hear it, or consider his words magic

Hrolff
2015-12-26, 09:14 AM
Earlier, Temur had bowed his head respectfully at Vult's words. He had not seen anyone else choose to swear an oath like that before, but the custom seemed only sensible to him. It was proper to voice the ideals that they should all aspire to live up to in the coming mission.

---

Temur will frown slightly as Captain Jaresh leaves them. To Halvgrim, ‘Passionate is a kind word for it. Still, I will trust in his professionalism.’

To Brother Dane, ‘Please direct me to your Engineerium afterwards. I would prefer to work as needed during our passage on whatever work is available.’

Denomar
2015-12-26, 12:28 PM
Vult follows trails after Brother Dane as he inevitably begins to lead the 'tour.' When they reach the private cells that have been set aside for the kill team he excuses himself, thanks Brother Dane and requests only that he be informed when the vessel has reached its destination but otherwise left alone.

Then he turns, enters the small room, and locks the door as best as he is able. The room is bare concrete with a shelf that could be used as a seat or a bed and zero other ornamentation. Reaching up to the locks on his bulky helm Vult unseals its with a soft hiss.

For a few brief moments, Coriolanus Ze'ev allows himself to simply be himself. Wide spaced grey eyes stare from a pale face at the blank black helm. He only removes the helm in private, and then it is almost always to eat. But, now, it is to remember.

Though he stares at great helm painted the color of deepest space, what Ze'ev saw was the storm cast grey of a mournful dawn as he is pulled back into the vastness of memory.

Lights flared as the Oncoming Storm prepared for its journey into the aetherium. The whine and bustle of the practice room took no notice. More eyes were locked in the centre of the room where Brother Ze'ev was sparring with Brother Colt. The clash of unpowered blade and blurring silver white of fists and armor moving at a pace that belied each warrior's awesome bulk.

The sword is still at Ze'ev's side. The sword had saved him. Of that he is certain. The details are at once blurred and perfect as they can only be for a Space Marine.

Light and darkness flare at once, the crowded training hall abruptly is thrown into chaos. The duel, a battle for life and death. Brother Colt is gone, what is left standing in his shattered armor is even worse. Unconsciously activating the power field on his sword Ze'ev strikes the abomination down.

The Vox net is nothing but screams and confusion. Brothers are dying everywhere. The ship lurches to its side. Klaxons blare non stop but the sound they make is not that of a siren.

Then its over. A haunted scream that doesn't come from the vox is simultaneously heard around the ship. It is the Navigator, whose final act of incalculable courage has dragged the Oncoming Storm back into the confines of reality. The Warp takes him as revenge, locking his soul in place as the mighty warship travels on. With a wrench that feels like an almighty fist has taken the whole of the ship and tossed it like a skipping stone the screams stop at once. The horrifying creatures that had overtaken some of the brothers disappear like a curdled dream, so abrupt their departure that the broken pieces of armor clatter to the floor in a thunderous rain.

Ze'ev staggered from the training hall with the few, so very few, survivors. The view from the nearet window is clear and unassuming. Although the Oncoming Storm is trailing pieces of his violent journey the stars are benign. It is three hours before the combined forces of the Deathwatch and the Inquistion take custody of the dead ship and its shell shocked crew are brought in for interrogation.

Ze'ev remembers the interrogation. His armor is taken from him. The bite of flails and jolts of induction. His word never falters. They make the pain worse when he threatens them with the wrath of his Primarch. They laugh at his confusion. They hurt him again, they call him a traitor, if he calls for the Primarch again they will remove his tongue. His confusion is his shield, the utter certainty in the truth of the matter is blade. It is not until the shriveled old inquisitor stares into his eyes with a sight beyond sight that they incredibly begin to believe him.

The aftermath. A cell, much like the one he stands in now. The lights are lower, solemn. The Space Marine stands before a suit of armor. He has been allowed this one thing. The Power Sword rests upon the wall. The broken corpse of the servitor who came to retrieve the blade from him had been collected minutes before. The sword would leave his side when he was dead and not before. For reasons that surprise even him the Watch Captain had agreed his words echoed back to the Space Marine.

"You serve the Emperor now more than ever. You are loyal? Prove it. I sentence you to the watch eternal, to walk forever before the lines between the Imperium of Man and the darkness beyond it. No name, no chapter, no honor. You are Luna Wolf no more. You are nothing more than the Emperor's Will. May you one day be worthy of being so."

In one hour the apothecary would be coming for him. His Progenoids would be removed. A glorious future. The Space Marine reaches for the tools, the emblem of the Luna Wolves is the first thing to go. The cold yellow eyes of the Wolf of Cthonia stares at him accusingly. It takes the powered sword to eventually get rid of the embossed symbol. As layer upon layer of paint and sealant turns the suit into a foreboding slab of darkness.

The Space Marine once known as Coriolanus Ze'ev stands in the cell and stares at the night black helm. The name falls away from him once again as he seals the helm upon his head. Drawing the great white hilted sword. He prepares for disaster to strike him again when they enter the warp. Two words hiss through his helm.

"Imperator Vult!"

The Emperor Wills it.

Aneurin
2015-12-27, 04:09 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

"A tour of the ship would be most appreciated, Brother," Hroki booms to Dane, after giving the retreating back of the Black Templar a faintly bemused look. They have such curious attitudes to the seers and their guidance. Peering beyond the mortal veil to see what may be is surely such an asset that the risks are justified. "I would like to see more of this ship and her crew,"

Adamusa
2015-12-30, 07:04 AM
"Very well, I shall take you to your lodgings for the journey. Those who wish to see more of the ship, I can guide you around afterwards," Brother Dane says, as he tunrs and leads you to your accommodations. They are sparse, in the normal manner of Astartes, but they will serve you well enough for the trip to Baraban. As you arrive, Brother Dane directs a serf to lead Temur to the enginarium, whilst he himself takes Brother Hroki on a tour of the ship.

"Is there anywhere in particular you would like to see first, Brother?" Dane asks.

Sorry this took so long to post, I've been distracted by insomnia and Star Wars. Use this time to plan for the mission.

Aneurin
2016-01-01, 03:10 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

"Why, whatever you wish me to see, Brother," Hroki says, landing a hearty slap across the other marine's shoulders as his eyes roam around the interior of the ship as they walk. "I would like, most, to know who it is we will share words and wine with when the creature is defeated; too I would know the songs and sagas of a venerable ship much as this. In such glorious company, she must have a rich and storied life, eh?"

Toxic Mind
2016-01-01, 03:38 PM
It was the Shadow that bothered Corlis Vahn the most. He retired quickly to his quarters while others went about their business, not to meditate, but rather to have a space to clear his mind, to think upon the mission to come. Shortly after reaching his quarters, he opens a private vox channel to the kill-team. This would hardly be a surprise to the rest of the team. The previous times that Vahn had commanded, he did similarly, allowing all members to weigh in their observations before the mission.

It was a custom reaching back to the Massacre at Istvaan V. The Raptors believed that perhaps, if others had spoken their minds freely, the worst could have been avoided, perhaps Corax would still walk among them, and so even here, far from the wings of his brothers, he keeps such a tradition.

+There are no simple facts in this mission, Brothers. I do not like being sent in so blindly. I suspect that this shadow of knives is the work of a warp-wytch, yet I cannot fathom how such a thing has come to pass, less the Ruinous Powers work against us in concert with the Tau. In addition, these Ghosts of Baraban worry my hearts. I feel that they have a part to play in our mission as well. The way ahead is cloaked in darkness. We ,just keep the luminators safe - I suspect they are truly the key to this mystery.+

It is not fear that guides his words, for no such emotion now existed within his hearts. Each statement is delivered with the tactical precision and clip of a sniper rifle's retort. Comments, to be remarked upon or discarded.

mr1135
2016-01-02, 10:06 AM
Elias Galabrand

In his haste and focus to catch Jaresh, he had completely neglected to notice the footsteps of Halvgrim. Surprised, Elias spins on his heels as the Librarian's words spill from his mouth, his fists clenching naturally. Though his actions have spoken true in their missions together, the Apothecary doubt he will ever be able to fully erase the last of his simmering enmity towards the presence of the psyker. The Space Wolf himself had said as much, as their hatred of Witchcraft is so ingrained into their very soul it comes to them as easily as one might draw breath. Having been caught unawares by Halvgrim, Elias could not help himself but feel his hackles rise and choler seethe. Not only has the man taken upon himself to interrupt their conversation without any preamble, his attempt to humble himself before a Knight of Sigismund is anything but insulting. Taking a long breathe to regain his composure after the Runepriest's departure, he turns back to speak with his fellow Black Templar.

"I apologize for his intrusion Captain, perhaps we will speak again at a late time." With a bow of deference to Jaresh, Elias dons his helm once more as he stalks off after the Space Wolf.

Once they were well into the hold of the ship, Elias calls out to the Space Wolf ahead of him. "Son of Russ! I will have words with you." Though they have spoken before, it was only of mission specifics or in the presence of their fellow squad mates. Never has the Apothecary sought out Halvgrim aside from their medical check-ups, upon which Elias had always spoken little aside from those required for his duty. Holding out his hand to stop the man from speaking, the anger churns slowly within his chest as he begins.

"I may take deference towards you in our dealings, but do not for a minute forget that I too am a Black Templar. You may not understand, and whether that is through your psyker ways or the beliefs of your Chapter, truly I do not care. That was a conversation between myself and my brethren, not one for you to interject yourself into so callously. Your veiled insults of the wiser have but confirmed his suspicions of your character. He is your superior and your lack of respect does yourself no justice. Know that I do it not for your sake when I speak to placate the Captain, but for the Kill-Team and more importantly for the Raptor. Corlis has earned my respect as a trusted Battle Brother. You would do well to look to him and his sense of propriety and reserved dignity as lessons."

Turning abruptly to leave, Elias pauses for a moment, not being able to hold back his last thoughts.

"And if you are such an expert in the ways of the Black Templar Runepriest", nearly spitting the last word out, bile rising in the back of his throat, "then you should recognize that your words will mean little to us. Absolution is found in exacting one's vows in action. A ceaseless task in ever proving one's worth in the eyes of the Emperor. It seems that I was incorrect in thinking that you and I had an understanding on the matter."

Without another word, he leaves for his assigned chamber, the Runepriest still standing in the corridor. Keeping the lights low upon entering, Elias sits and goes through the Rites of Cleansing on his wargear as a way to settle his mind. The familiar smells of ungluents and the mechanical act of moving through such motions calms him. Though he detested the confrontation with the Fenrisian, he could not let it go without comment. ...know wiser people must decide their fate in the end. The only being that will ever decide his Fate is the will of the Emperor and none other. Not himself, not the Runepriest, and certainly not any other wizened Psyker who thinks themself superior in their Warp gained knowledge...

It was during this reverie that Corlis begins his usual pre-mission discussion. Listening intently to the Brother-Sargent's concerns as he continues going through the motions of the Rites, the Apothecary's resolve begins to focus itself once more on the present.

+We will need to remain vigilant in the face of such opposition then. If these Xenos have taken to the forces of Chaos, then we must find their weakness and double our efforts in their extermination. Perhaps it will be as you say and that these devices will literally shed light on the mysteries surrounding these...Ghosts of Baraban. The Omega Vault may be cryptic in its ways Corlis, but it has has always proven reliable to the Deathwatch.+

Denomar
2016-01-02, 11:19 AM
Vult's voice is strained over the vox link.

"Speculation is useless. It'll be a slaughter no matter who or what we find."

It seems that whatever threat Baraban would hold, Vult holds in less than contempt.

Hrolff
2016-01-02, 11:09 PM
Temur will slip away from the others and follow the serf to the enginarium. He is not fond of space voyages. The part of him that grew up on the plains of Chogoris still prefers open spaces even after many decades as an Astartes, and it was hard not to feel enclosed while aboard a ship. As an initiate of the Mechanicus, he also knew how easy it was for the technology on a ship to go wrong, and for how little there was that he could do about it if it did. The prospect of death did not frighten him, but the lack of control over his own fate sometimes made him anxious. So, he will seek to distract himself during the journey with whatever repair work might be needed. In between, he will try to familarise himself with the ship. In his experience, outside fortresses like Erioch, it was better to be prepared for the prospect of battle than assuming safety, and so he will seek to study the layout of the ship as he would with any potential battlefield.

+'Do you believe Corlis that the Tau on Baraban may have become corrupted by something? I have never heard of such a thing happening to that race, but the possibility deserves investigation.'+

Been at my parents since last week where I can’t seem to ever sleep properly. I think I’ve recovered now though and I should be awake enough to post quicker

Adamusa
2016-01-06, 08:14 AM
Captain Jaresh

The Captain nods slightly as Elias speaks to him. "Perhaps I was too hasty in my assessment. I am sure you will do the chapter proud, Brother Elias." His face softens slightly, though he still seems to simmer slightly below the surface.

Unfortunately, Halvgrim chooses this moment to speak and the Captain's face quickly flashes back to a scowl. He turns and walks off towards the bridge without another word.

I'll update Brother Dane's part when I'm back from work since there's a book thing I can mention but I've not got the book with me.

Checkmate-Pony
2016-01-07, 02:04 PM
Halvgrim's face never changes, and keeps standing there even as he is left without getting a chance to explain himself

Halvgrim simply stood there with his staff, closing his eyes, almost as if falling asleep

He chuckled, they were insulted by his words. But because they didn't actually listen to what he said.

"Wiser men must decide their fate"

"Their" being himself, psykers.

"Wiser men" being the High lords, and the Emperor. Ultimately even the black templar answer to them, and ultimately they will not lay a hand on an imperial psyker for the exact same reason.

They are beneath Terra...

But the Templars like to pretend the world is not like that

So standing there alone, left without a chance to speak for himself, he chuckled, whispering to himself:

I guess this is why we don't get along

Toxic Mind
2016-01-07, 09:23 PM
++Indeed. It is for that reason why I believe we should be wary of the Ghosts. If the hands of the false gods of the Warp do not now exert their influence over Baraban, then corruption of the Tau seems the most probable. Troubling, either way++

Adamusa
2016-01-12, 05:19 PM
Brother Dane nods as he leads Hroki towards the ship's mess.

"The ship is mostly run by serfs and servitors, so there are only a few battle-brothers aboard at any one time. That said, there are a few Techmarines as well as the Captain's advisors on board. As for stories..." Dane pauses for a moment, collecting his thoughts.

"I am somewhat new to the ship, as I have not been here long. That said, there is a curious little tale about a Sergeant of the White Consuls who took passage with us. Interestingly, he had served on Baraban before his company were called away."

"Brother-Sergeant Valus crossed through the Warp Gate with the first Crusade forces. He had much wisdom to share about his battles in the reach but above them all, the tale he told of Baraban has stayed with me. It was as blasphemous in its own way as anything festering in the Charon Stars. He said that something wearing Guilliman's guise came to him one night whilst he stood watch. This was before we knew the treachery of the planet and for a moment he mistook the vision for a blessing. But then the false spirit beckoned him into the forest and he began to doubt. Why would his Primarch ever ask him to abandon his watch and his duty? Thus, he challenged the insolent mimc. In that instant it revealed itself for the distorted imposter it was. Our brother banished it in a rain of holy bolter fire. I have oft wondered; what manner of daemon would dare... indeed, COULD dare to impersonate a Primarch, much less hold such a reprehensible deception for even a moment? Dane recounts, staring ahead as he walks. He seems somewhat unnerved by the prospect and must be thinking of what he would do if such a thing happened to him.

Aneurin
2016-01-13, 03:33 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

"Troubling tales indeed, Brother. That an unholy creature could take on such seeming is... concerning," Hroki says as he frowns to himself. Such a thing was not mentioned in the briefing materials - not in such specific terms - and is greatly unsettling. "Perhaps the Allfather will grant that we find and slay the creature in the coming days, or bring truer understanding of the foe to the hallowed halls of Erioch that those Brothers yet to come to the Deathwatch may destroy it should it elude us,"

He pauses a moment, tilting his head as he listens to the conversation rolling in over the vox, before turning apologetically to Dane.

"A moment, Brother Dane. I must converse with my pack," he says, as he withdraws a short distance. Not for fear of Dane overhearing, or to prevent him from listening in, but simply to avoid the insult offered in having a conversation with another over the conversation with Dane.

++Brothers, we will hunt what we hunt and kill what we kill. Speculation without answers will only lead us astray; perhaps, then, our first action on Baraban will be to find the tales told of this creature... or these creatures, as the case may be, and see what may be learned of them. I am speaking to Brother Dane who recounts for me the experiences of a Brother-Sergeant of the White Consul who meets a strange occurence on that world.++ Hroki speaks swiftly into the vox, relaying the tale as told to him by Dane for the benefit of the others. When he is done, he adds: ++If the creature we hunt is able to take the shape of others, then our greatest weapon against it is knowledge. Knowledge of what it can do and what it seeks.++

mr1135
2016-01-13, 05:36 PM
Elias Galabrand

The lack of levity in Hroki's report is telling in how jarring the news was. But it is as the Space Wolf said, there is no use in idle speculation. They will prepare as well as they can, there is no doubt in that. Their faith in the Will of the Emperor will ensure the foe's destruction.

++Our primary objective however, is to find the origins of this enigmatic shadow. How would you like us to begin Brother Sargent? Are we to contact the local Imperial elements? Or will you have us range out to find this enemy on our own? By all indications, it had appeared during a major incursion. Perhaps we can begin by inserting into active combat zones in the area.++

++And if all else fails in our search, we'll just follow your nose like on Bengalis eh Fenrisian?++ Elias adds after a slight pause to Hroki's, a smile on his lips. After all, the huntsman had used his sharp senses to located their Kroot Shaper quarry on that swamp planet when all else had failed. It was also in that moment by which Elias' faith in the Fenrisian's abilities were solidified.

Denomar
2016-01-13, 10:12 PM
Vult's laugh is a hoarse bark.

"I would never speak ill of our gracious hosts but anyone who believes that any daemon could mimic a primarch has obviously never stood in front of one. the pause is so infinitesimal it would have taken a codifier to even recognize it. "The stories are clear enough about that. I've heard it said to even see Guilliman in state is completely overwhelming."

Hrolff
2016-01-14, 10:30 AM
Temur will listen over the vox as Hroki passed on the story. Was this some sort of xenos shapeshifter? Presumably it was connected to the phenomena they were to investigate or Baraban had more problems than they thought.

To Vult, ++I think you are correct. My Khan had reason to visit the Shrine on Macragge when he was young. It left quite an impression on him.++

++Still, if whatever that was was bold enough to show itself to an Astartes then mortals may have already seen it in another guise. I would not be surprised to find out that there is a rash of visions amongst the Guard on the surface.++

Toxic Mind
2016-01-14, 11:03 AM
Corlis Vahn

+Whatever comes, we shall face it and triumph. However, this being capable of taking on the forms of others - we should designated a code word. Should there be any suspicion that it has usurped one of our forms, we shall ask "How the bird of prey hunts?" to which the response will be "Through shadows and under clouds."+ Vahn returns to silence. There is little more to say in the way of preparations. All that awaits now is Baraban.

Aneurin
2016-01-15, 04:32 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Foe

++And if there is a beast on that world that can take such form convincingly?++ Hroki persists, somewhat stubbornly. ++Surely it is a great threat, and we must be ever vigilant. If it can take the form of a Primarch, what small matter would it be to take our own and turn us against one another? We must consider our next steps carefully, and we must know our quarry. Is the shapechanger the same shadow-beast we are here to kill? If it is not, do we divert from our mission to deal with it before or after?++

Adamusa
2016-01-17, 10:20 AM
After some time, the Kill-team feels the shudder of the ship breaking warp. Heading to the launch bays, you find Captain Jaresh and Brother Dane waiting in front of a fuelled Thunderhawk. As you approach, Jaresh nods curtly and passes Corlis a vox beacon.

"Brother Dane will be your pilot for this mission. He will fly you to the surface and then return to the ship. The Spear is required elsewhere and thus we cannot remain in orbit. This beacon will allow you to signal when you are ready for extraction," the Captain explains. He then walks off without another word. Brother Dane beckons to you and the team boards the Thunderhawk.

It is hardly your first time inside a Thunderhawk, although the interiors of these familiar gunships always seem cavernous when holding a handful of battle-brothers like your Kill-team, instead of several times this number of your Chapter brothers. The holo-projectors at the troop transport station activate as you begin the descent. Clamps affix your Land Speeder to the gunship and one aerofoil cuts into the three dimensional projection as clouds give way to the northeast continent. In a universe of climbing hives and battle-ravaged rockscapes, Baraban appears strikingly untouched, despite the millions of solders you know to be warring beneath the canopy. You catch a glimpse of rippling blue ocean bordering the landmass's collage of red and gold. Then, the blanket of autumn colours surrounds you as the gunship drops lower.

The serenity is suddenly fractured by calamitous explosions and an abrupt halt to your descent that tests your armour's shock absorption to the limit. Brother Dane bellows over the noise.

"The outpost is under assault!"

Through the obscuring web of branches and dead leaves, the Kill-team spots a shattered bunker and frantic Guardsmen fighting off an overwhelming number of Kroot. The pulse rounds of the Kroot rifles outnumber each las-shot four to one and the growing distance between frag bursts suggests that grenades are quickly running out. You face a choice. Do you intervene in the conflict and risk revealing your presence to the Tau, or do you allow the Outpost to be overrun?

You have two options here. You can use the Thunderhawk's guns to fire on the Kroot at a -30 Ballistic Skill test, but any misses will incur further casualties amongst the Guard. Alternatively, the Thunderhawk contains a number of single-use grav chutes for those without jump packs. Should you wish to engage, you will be facing a Magnitude 35 Horde of Kroot Carnivores.

Toxic Mind
2016-01-17, 11:07 AM
++The Emperor has offered us a gift, brothers! Let us bring death to these Xenos filth! Brother Dane, lower the ramp. We strike from the sky!++ Corlis leaves his lascannon is the Thunderhawk. Dane could land once they were finished and reunite him with it. He takes his bolter and his grenades. They are all he shall need.

Aneurin
2016-01-17, 11:39 AM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

"Already a chance to strike down a foe?" Hroki roars as he swings himself upright and brandishes his chainsword as he strides towards a hatch and gazes out at the sprawling battle below. "Truly we are blessed by the Allfather this day, and shall be as Morkai's Fang to those who stand against us. Let none survive to carry the news of our arrival"

With a twist, he pulls the hatch free and gazes down as the wind whips around him, tugging at his thick red hair and his beard and snapping at even the heavy folds of scaly hide that adorn the power armour.

"Though Russ does not mean us to fight without the ground beneath us, we fly, my brothers and we hunt," he howls as with a swift action he leaps from the Thunderhawk, the turbofans of the jump pack roaring into life to guide him down to the fray below.

Ah, yes, before I forget to ask completely - are we using the Going Without A Helmet rules in Rites of Battle? I'm not terribly bothered; Hroki's not going to use his helmet much unless he needs the environmental seal anyway, but it'd be nice to have the benefits of the rule :smalltongue:

Also, Hroki is going to charge the Horde and causes Fear 1 to his enemies. If I've jumped the gun on any of this and we're not as close as I think we are, let me know and I can change things.

mr1135
2016-01-17, 12:17 PM
Elias Galabrand

At Corlis' command, Elias detaches from his seat and moves to affix one of the grav-chutes onto his armour. His blood boils at the sight of the battle below. Subconsciously rolling his shoulders back and stretching his neck as he approaches the ramp behind the Assault Marines, Elias readies his arms and brings the chainsword up for inspection. The low snarl of its motor bringing a smile to his face.

Even the Machine Spirit yearns to persecute these Xenos filth.

"SUFFER NOT THE UNCLEAN TO LIVE"

With the proclamation growling through his helmet vox-grill and little else, Elias unceremoniously steps off the Thunderhawk in quick pursuit of his battle brothers.

Elias will attempt to land close to the two assault marines and engage in close combat alongside them. Obviously Vult has yet to leave as I post this, but in terms of timing it will be immediately behind him and Hiroki.

Denomar
2016-01-17, 02:02 PM
"Acknowledged Sergeant."

Vult doesn't even pause as he steps off the ramp of the Thunderhawk. Only just behind Hroki, he ignites the Power Sword, the blade's coruscating golden radiance abruptly turns him into a falling star.

Hrolff
2016-01-18, 10:39 AM
Temur will follow the others out of the Thunderhawk and prepare to cover them with his bolter.

I'll roll this now while I'm here

[roll0]

Checkmate-Pony
2016-01-19, 12:54 PM
Halvgrim opened his eyes and looked around at everyone leaping right at the chance to fight

"So be it" he said waving his hands forward

he affixed a Grav Chute on himself as well and leapt out the ramp with staff in both his hands, he had his helmet on his belt

As he leaps out he yelled loudly Tally-Hooo! dragging the O out all the way down, it was rather humorousness

Adamusa
2016-01-22, 12:34 PM
Those of the Kill-team with jump packs easily drop to the ground and are well within range to charge the mass of Kroot. Those who floated down on grav chutes however are too far from the fight to engage efficiently and must make do with firing at the horde for the time being.

Unfortunately, Corlis and Temur forgot to take grav-chutes on their way out of the Thunderhawk and go crashing down into the foliage.

For those that landed successfully, you get a surprise round to attack. Temur and Corlis, please make an Agility/Acrobatics test in order to land on one of the massive branches.

Everyone else, the Horde is Magnitude 35, so you've got a +30 to hit. The Horde is approximately 24m away from you. Anyone with a jump pack can charge, but due to the slow descent speed of the grav chutes, you are not in melee range at this time.

Happy hunting!

Aneurin
2016-01-22, 01:17 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Foe

His feet have barely touched the ground before Hroki pushes his jump pack back into life, to descend on the disorganized Kroot pack like the wrath of the Allfather in a flash of glittering silver from the trailing folds of the wyrmskin cloak, crushing one of the xenos in a splatter of gore as he lands and begins laying about him in a fury with his chainsword.

"Come and meet your ends, foul creatures!" he roars as he slays.

Initiative: [roll0]

Charge!
[roll1] vs. 102 (52 WS + 20 Charge + 30 size)
Damage = best of: [roll2][roll3][roll4]+16 R Pen. 4

If the attack inflicts damage, Horde loses one additional point of magnitude per 2 DoS.

Also, he counts as having Fear 1 against the Kroot.

EDIT: Good grief, that was awful!

Toxic Mind
2016-01-22, 04:12 PM
Corlis Vahn

Though his helmet obscures his face, Corlis has a joyous smile on his face as he jumps out of the Thunderhawk - sans his grav chute. Bolter at his side, and grenade locked in his hand, he leaves his other free for climbing. As he falls, he smashes into the side of one of the trees. He lands heavily upon the ground, but quickly primes the grenade and throws it at the mass of Kroot.

"Come Brothers! Your reliance on your wargear makes you slow! My way was much faster!" He taunts at the others, and it is easy to hear his grin, and his battle joy, through their squad vox. Blood dribbles from his mouth at the fall, but he does not show his pain, the pain suppressing medicine in his armor keeping him lucid.

[roll0]
Attack: Throw Frag Grenade
[roll1] vs 96 (+30 Size +10 Aim 56 Base)
Damage: [roll2]
Blast: 5

mr1135
2016-01-22, 07:22 PM
Elias Galabrand

The sight of the Fenrisian barreling through their foe's with reckless abandon fills his heart with a sense of righteousness. Descending at speed, the Apothecary aims into the teeming mass of Xenos with his bolt pistol. Pausing for a split second as he attempts to pick out a leader from this band of Xenos, a mass of armour crashes through the canopy by the side, jolting the Black Templar from his task.

Corlis!

Changing the path of his descent, Elias aims his chute to land him beside the Sergeant all the while firing into the approaching Kroots.

Initiative:
Awareness to spot for Leader: [roll1] vs 59 (Per39/Awareness+10/Auto Senses+10)
In the case I need Forbidden Lore Xenos to Spot the Vermin: [roll2] vs 64 (Int54/ForbiddenLore:Xenos+10)

Semi Auto Bolt Pistol vs Kroot Carnivores
[roll3] vs 77 (BS37/Size30/SemiAuto10)
Up to Possible 3 Hits:
Damage1: [roll]3d10b2+5
Damage2: 3d10b2+5
Damage3: 3d10b2+5

Since Bolt weapons are X, each successful dmg inflicts 1 additional Hit.

Elias will aim to land between Corlis and the approaching enemies barring the Sergeant did not fall directly into the middle of the mob. If he has, then he will still land beside him, albeit to defend him instead of immediately treating his wounds.

Checkmate-Pony
2016-01-23, 12:34 AM
Halvgrim chuckled at the youthful energy in the pup

When he landed, he started moving swiftly to flank, but also made sure to activate the recorder eye, perched on his backpack. He had to document the missoin.

Halvgrim will full move towards the Kroot, saying out of the others line of fire

Hrolff
2016-01-23, 10:45 AM
Happy to be on a planet again, Temur will jump down onto one of the tree branches, but will misjudge the strength of it. Unable to take his weight, the branch will snap beneath him and he will fall down to the ground. Thankfully, his upgraded body allows him to shrug off the pain of his fall enough to fire off a quick burst at the Kroot.

Initiative was 13 (see earlier post)

Full Action: Semi Auto vs. BS 45 (+30 Horde, +10 Semi Auto, +10 Short Range?)
[roll0]

So two damage on the horde with another one for explosive damage

Denomar
2016-01-23, 12:43 PM
Vult's fall is terminated with the crunching impact of his boots into kroot flesh. Side by side with Hroki, Vult leads the assault into the kroot forces. Landing just as Corlis' grenades explode amongst the enemy. The power sword scything forward with a whirling scream of golden energy almost as loud as the detonation of the grenades. The spitting fumes of his Jump Pack only serve to increase the carnage. Focused and accurate, Vult's silence stands in mute contrast to the fury of his assault.

A silent lord of death in black armor.

Initiative: [roll0]

Charge: [roll1] vs 103 (Weapon Skill 63 +10 Charge +30 Horde Size) 9 degrees of success. I uh...think I hit them.

Damage: [roll2] (I forgot to note down Vult's +12 strength bonus. The attack is pen 8. I also should have written the code such that I could see whether I rolled any 10's for the purpose of righteous fury. I'll know to do that next time). Using Thunder Hammer profile of power sword. Note that he cannot parry while doing so. But he's falling from the sky, defense isn't the first thing on his mind. I'm not certain how concussive (targets hit that take more damage then their strength are knocked down) interacts with a horde.

Wrathful Descent: [roll3]. to the horde's magnitude. Only done if his first charge attack is successful and deals damage.

(jesus, I guess I got all the karma this round)

Adamusa
2016-01-25, 05:36 PM
Hroki

You charge into the horde, howling with all the fury of your ancestors. Unfortunately luck turns against you this day and every Kroot you aim a swipe at seems to glide out of reach just in time.

Corlis
Though slightly unsteady from your tumble through the trees, your mind is clear and your arm is true. The frag grenade arcs gracefully through the air and bounces off a Kroot head. With a click, it explodes mid-air and burning shards of metal scythe down many of the Kroot near the blast.

Elias
Though your shots go astray, you land precisely where you aimed to: between your Sergeant and the rampaging horde of Kroot warriors.

Temur
Though you followed the Sergeant's example and took the short way down, your aim is unsullied by the few wounds you have taken. Your bolter thunders in your hands and spits explosive death amongst the Kroot, with arms flying off and heads exploding as you blast away.

Vult
Like an avenging angel, you slam down into the Kroot warriors, crushing several underfoot from the force of your thunderous impact. Your power sword sings with righteous energy as you whirl through the fight, slicing through bodies and cutting the enemy down like wheat before the scythe.

Corlis deals 5 Magnitude damage to the Horde.
Temur deals 3 Magnitude damage to the Horde.
Vult deals a whopping 13 Magnitude damage to the Horde.

Horde Willpower to not break: [roll0] vs 10 (-10 Fear, -10 <50%)

If they save this, I will be astounded. With regards to Fear against Hordes, it doesn't seem to be documented anywhere. So I've decided that it takes effect if the horde is testing WP to not break.

Wow. Close, but not quite close enough.

As quickly as it began, the fight is over. The few remaining Kroot, broken from your lightning-fast assault, turn tail and flee as fast as they can. Within moments the few survivors have disappeared within the trees, blending in amongst the foliage. The guardsmen let out a ragged cheer as the enemy flees the field and a young-looking officer runs up. He throws a perfect salute as he skids to a halt in front of you. Upon closer inspection, you notice his close-cut blonde hair and rather prominent sideburns. A few scratches and grazes mark him, but he seems otherwise unharmed.

"Astartes! Thank the Emperor you're here! The beasts were tearing us limb from limb!" he explains, looking up at you in awe.

mr1135
2016-01-25, 07:15 PM
Elias Galabrand

Ignoring the officer, Elias immediately walks over to clasp his hand over Corlis' armoured forearm to help the Sergeant up from the ground. Seeing that the man is injured but unbowed, he instead gives the devastator a nod before moving towards Temur. The gawking mortals are all looking towards the man in awe. To treat their Sergeant's wounds in front of them now would only diminish the effect.

Checking on his HUD on the others in the Kill-Team, he makes a note of the armour readouts of the Tech Marine as he approaches. Though White Scar had taken a terrible fall, it was good to note that his aim had remained true. Mentally nodding in approval, he toggles the diagnosticator's functions to scan for fractured bones before activating his Narthecium. Taking off small portions of the Tech-Marine's armour reverently to address the wound beneath, he pauses for a second before he begins.

"This in all likelihood will hurt less than the damage you had dealt to the trees in your fall Temur. Do all Chogorians hold such enmity towards offworld flora? Hmm...in either case, you have severe fractures in multiple locations, wounds which your physiology should repair in due time on its own with some encouragement from myself. Your dislocated hip here however, will require straightening. Hold still a moment."

Medicae on Temur's wounds.
First Aid: [roll0] vs 114(Int54/Narthecium+30/Medicae+10/TalentedMedicae+10/Diagnosticator+10)
Success: 5HP when Lightly Wounded (As you are with Autosanguine)
Unfortunately, the fall counts as one single wound instead of multiples. I can't treat an injury more than once per wound.

Toxic Mind
2016-01-25, 07:33 PM
Corlis Vahn

The Devastator makes his way to the Imperial officer, removing his helmet as he goes. Already his blood has clotted and while he makes a mental note to have Apothecary Elias look at his wounds later, now is not the time. "Never doubt that the Emperor protects, Guardsmen. We have come to strike a blow against the Tau and turn the tide on this world. Lead us to your command post." Corlis speaks with the tone of one to whom the thought of being questioned or disobeyed has never occurred. As the officer leads them, he voxes their location to the circling Thunderhawk. They may need to re-enter it to reach their destination, or at the very least retrieve the remainder of their wargear.

Hrolff
2016-01-26, 11:10 PM
As the survivors of the Kroot flee into the trees, Temur will lower his bolter and lean one hand against the trunk of the tree that he had just fallen out of. Beneath his helmet he can taste blood in his mouth, but is smiling broadly at the absurdity of what had just happened. The universe was obviously attempting to teach him something. He had been an Astartes and a warrior for long enough to have witnessed such events on the battlefield, although he had seldom been a part of one.

'Pain I can deal with Elias, although I would prefer to have taken these wounds in some other way. And Chogoris does not have many trees like these, so climbing this one may not have been the best idea.' Temur sounds amused, and winces as the Apothecary adjusts his hip. 'It is of no consequence, the gifts of Mars will heal me in time.'

Adamusa
2016-01-27, 08:31 AM
As Corlis makes his demand, a look of consternation crosses the officer's face. He sighs and his shoulder slump slightly.

"Would that I could, Lord Astartes. Unfortunately, that pile of rubble is all that is left of the outpost," he says, gesturing to the wrecked bunker as he speaks. "I can answer any questions you may have, but the nearest command outpost is several thousand kilometres away. Our long-range voxcasters were destroyed along with the bunker," he explains.

As the officer speaks, the howl of the Thunderhawk's engines increase in volume and it hovers down nearby. The Land Speeder is disengaged with a clunk and it settles down on the ground, ready for the Kill-Team. The Thunderhawk itself hovers several metres to the right and lands, the landing struts flexing under the weight of the massive transport. Brother Dane appears at the ramp.

"Brothers, my task here is complete. Collect your wargear, for I must depart back to the ship. The Captain has other battlefields to fight on and I must go with him," he says, gesturing up at the sky.

Toxic Mind
2016-01-27, 09:47 AM
Corlis quickly and efficiently collects his wargear from the Thunderhawk after gesturing for the officer to take a moment to inspect and see to his troops. He loads the majority of it onto the Land Speeder. As he takes the last of his gear, he turns to Dane. "Your piloting skills are to be commended, Brother. Emperor protect you and guide your blades."

Vahn is not a sentimentalist and quickly enough returns to the officer. "Our destination is the command post. Before we leave, have you, or any of your men, experienced this shadow-weapon that the Tau have deployed?"

Denomar
2016-01-27, 12:41 PM
Vult deactivates the power sword and sheathes it. The energizing power field had already burned away any detritus left from the fight. He stomps over, and in some cases through the carcasses of the devastated Kroot back towards the team.

Already his breath has evened, any sign of strain from the fight has left him. The trans-human constitution of the Astartes rendering him calm once more.

Chinning open a vox line to Temur he speaks, with a certain sense of awe and jest. "I have seen many brothers eager to fight, I have yet to see one simply jump out of an aircraft before."

He cannot believe that he once thought that adherence to the codex astartes had in fact made many chapters stuffy!

As his squad retrieves whatever they left from the Thunderhawk, Vult stands before the officer in charge. The plasma gun was still magnetized to his hip and his photon flash grenades around his belt. To the human, he doesn't utter a word.

mr1135
2016-01-27, 03:38 PM
Elias Galabrand

Having spent a few moments to observe the White Scar's gait following the adjustment to satisfy his concerns, Elias turns to then scrutinize the Imperial Guardsmen hovering nearby. Seeing their defenses still in a disarray, the Black Templar could only let out a sigh within his helm.

Still gawking like children...Even chapter serfs would serve as better soldiers.

Without a word, the Apothecary follows the Sergeant into the hold of the Thunderhawk. Doing the same as he did with Temur, Elias applies the proper stimulants and chemical injections into the Sergeant's armour ports to speed up his body's own gene-hanced healing factors. Fortunately, the Raptor had taken slightly less damage than his fellow Astartes in his fall, owing to the prodigious agility his Primarch was renowned for perhaps.

(edit: Rolled 88 in OOC) vs 114(Int54/Narthecium+30/Medicae+10/TalentedMedicae+10/Diagnosticator+10)
Success: 5HP when Lightly Wounded (As you are with Hardy)[/spoiler]

Finished, Elias gives Corlis a pat on the pauldron before heading off to access the armoury on the ship. Though many would see such injuries right out of the gate it as a troubling start for a mission, Elias knew that his Kill-Team's implacable sense of determination will carry them through. Voxing Dane his thanks and complements to Captain Jaresh for their aid, the Black Templar descends the ramp towards the waiting Landspeeder. Looking forward to the persecution to come, he hops on to join his battle brothers, righteous anticipation ringing through his veins.

Adamusa
2016-01-27, 05:12 PM
The officer scratches his neck uneasily. "Uh... I don't know of any weapons, my lord, but there was a strange occurrence earlier today. We'd been pushing back a sky full of Stingwings all morning. We were making progress, but that doesn't count for much here. We've had more skirmishes than I can count that have turned on us when the ghosts come out. So, I deliberately force the line towards the glade. There's something about that place that the ghosts don't seem to like. It keeps them away. We thought we had the enemy routed but then this Hammerhead burst out of the trees. We were still occupied with the Stingwings and it opened up with an ion cannon... and that's... that's when it happened. For just a second, instead of sky there was this black wall and I could see something moving in it. All these black spikes rained down on us; just the memory of them makes my skin crawl. Just like that it was gone again. It must have spooked the enemy too because I've never seen Vespid retreat so fast," he explains, still looking uneasy. He coughs into his hand, shouts a few orders at his men and then turns to Corlis again.

"Lord Astartes... I don't know if it was a Tau weapon or not, but they seemed just as scared as we were. If you'd like to investigate, the glade isn't far. Just a few kilometres northeast. It's... it's a safe place there. If you need anything else, I offer you whatever is at my disposal," he says, before running off to gather his troops together.

Toxic Mind
2016-01-27, 05:25 PM
"Were any of your men wounded in the attack by these spikes? If you would provide us with the coordinates, we will go investigate." Corlis says diplomatically.

He opens up a private channel. ++Confirmed sighting of the Shadow - earlier today. We will investigate the area. Perhaps some trace of the cause remains to be tracked and found out. Unclear if of Tau origin, they seemed to be equally affected according to eyewitness account++

Hrolff
2016-01-27, 11:28 PM
After briefly checking his armour for damage, Temur will go towards the Thunderhawk to retrieve the rest of his wargear. The missile launcher was already stowed within the Land Speeder, and he will mag-lock the two demo charges to the rear of his belt. He had checked the Land Speeder multiple times during their journey, and was already well satisfied with the condition that the Deathwatch Forge Masters had left it in. While not overly fond of piloting Land Speeders, Temur is enough of a White Scar to consider the job his responsibility unless someone else offered to take over.

To Vult he will say with a chuckle, +My brothers have always been enthusiastic to get into battle, and indeed I am considered to be one of the cautious ones. Perhaps I will recommend this tactic to my Khan when I return to the chapter.+

He doesn't entirely feel better, but Temur can see on his HUD the effect of his internal systems as they work to repair him.

Adamusa
2016-01-28, 07:44 AM
The officer shakes his head at Corlis's question.

"No my Lord, by the Emperor's grace nothing hit us. The coordinates are here, on this dataslate," he says, pulling a dataslate from a belt pouch and handing it to Corlis. As he said earlier, the glade where the shadow was seen is indeed only a few kilometres to the northeast. Walking there would take you about twenty minutes, at Astartes pace. The Land Speeder Javelin however, would get you there in a mere five.

Aneurin
2016-01-29, 02:36 PM
Hroki Wyrm-Slayer

"Well, we have our first target, eh?" Hroki rumbles as he returns from checking the treeline for further signs on the kroot. Still helm-less Guardsmen shying away from his approach. He swings his great fist up to point at the officer with a fierce grin. "You! Is there ought else you need of us? Your post is in ruins and some of the foe fled us - they may be back before the day is done and in greater numbers. It serves us ill to leave you if you have need,"

Checkmate-Pony
2016-01-31, 07:14 PM
Halvgrim was gazing at the skies, seemingly lost trying to find stars

"clearly it isn't the Tau who is behind this" he spoke aloud and turned to join his team "but if there really is so much doubt, I could try to perhaps divine the auguries, provided of course present company does not take offense" he glared at Elias

He closed his eyes and sighed
"The best way to see the future however is to arrive at it, In person!

His eyes whent wide

I've always wanted to see the future, we should go there, fast

he pointed at the land speeder indicating he wanted to use it to get to their destination

Denomar
2016-01-31, 11:13 PM
Beneath his helm Vult takes to an action that he has not been taken to for thousands of years. He rolls his eyes. The librarian was certainly irrepressible. More so than any other Astartes he has ever met. Even considering how staunch and unbearably forthright the legions had become in the wake of Guilliman's equally staunch and forthright codex there was something absurdly fascinating with old space wolf's almost childish lust for adventure.

Moving to the rear hood of the Landspeeder Vult makes a show of admiring its sleek (chunky) lines (crags) of favored operation (it looks like it went through a washing machine in the rear of the Thunderhawk).

Truthfully, his largest concern is how to efficiently fit himself, hroki, and their jump packs into the rear of the landspeeder.

Adamusa
2016-02-08, 05:37 PM
The officer bows to Hroki. "Thank you my lord, but my men and I will be find from hereon out. You have delivered us from death, which is more than we could ever have hoped for. I wish you success in your mission," he says, before dashing off to whip his men onto their feet.

The kill-team however, have different ideas. Temur settles into the driver's seat of the Land Speeder, the controls innately familiar to him as a Techmarine and as a White Scar. Corlis jumps in beside him, well at ease behind the Heavy Flamer. Hroki, Elias, Halvgrim and Vult all clamber into the back of the Speeder. It's not roomy, but it will serve. The repulsors strain slightly as the ancient machine compensates for the added weight of six Astartes. At Temur's touch, it hovers into the air and hurtles away towards the northeast.

The officer's intel was correct: after only ten minutes of swift flight, the kill-team arrives above a small clearing. The Land Speeder settles down and they disembark. Brilliant scarlet leaves coat the trees and the earth, but muddy splatters of old blood dull the tableau like rust. The bodies have all been recovered - or consumed. An unmistakeably massive shadow looms prominently in the clearing; the silhouette of an absent giant.

At this point, most GMs would call for tests and such to find things out. I'm not. Figure it out :smalltongue:

Hrolff
2016-02-09, 11:03 PM
As he works to operate the Land Speeder, Temur is idly searching through various vox frequancies. If for some reason they needed support, it was always useful to know if there were any other Imperial units operating nearby.

Normally, the lack of bodies in the clearing wouldn't be too surprising. It had been long enough since the engagment for scavengers to have fed on any remains, but the shadow over the area suggested unwelcome possibilities. The Imperial Guard who had been here may not have seen all of what it was capable of.

While staring directly at the shadow Temur is going to remove his helmet to get a better look at it. With his bionic eye, there was little difference in his vision, and the auspex would make up for any shortfall in any case. After being aboard ship, Temur also prefered the fresh air.

He will fiddle with the settings on his auspex and think for a moment. 'First principles. If this is not simply some shadow of the warp then there is something here that we cannot see. Is it like a Tau battlesuit, materially present but invisible, or is the shadow cast from somewhere else.' He mostly speaking to himself to try and work through the possibilities of what the shadow might be.

Temur will try and judge from the position of the sun and the direction of the shadow, where any object that may be casting the shadow might be located. To wake up the sleepy machine spirit of the auspex, he will lightly tap the device with his finger.

Awful rolls in Search and Tech-Use are in the OCC thread from earlier today.

Checkmate-Pony
2016-02-10, 05:17 PM
Standing in the clearing rubbing his beard, a sourceless shadow just lingering, so plain and obvious. he pondered for a long while, hoping he would notice something, even if that something was that which could not be seen or comprehended by mortal eyes.

he snorted, Humph! Wait moment, let us look closer at that illuminator device again, maybe we can test it here, and learn something. Who has the Illuminator, Temur? his snowy eyebrows lifted left and right

Toxic Mind
2016-02-10, 06:42 PM
"As Brother Hroki says - a chance to test the effectiveness of our artefacts, and when we aren't being shot at, no less. Truly the Emperor blesses our efforts here!"

Vahn does not dismount, rather pointing the heavy flamer at the shadow. He assumed that his brothers would keep his firing line clear. It would be a grave error to do otherwise. He keeps his eyes peeled for any movement within or above the shadow, and keeps his trigger finger ready on the flamer.

Denomar
2016-02-11, 12:25 AM
That. says Vult. Denoting the inexplicable shadow. "Is more literal than I believed it would be." After all, gothic is notorious for being a dramatic language.

Unclipping his plasma gun, Vult trains it on the patch of shadow, sighting up the midline of the skimmer above the firing position of the forward crew. He does not exit the skimmer just yet. Perhaps they might need to find a more tactically sound position faster than he could reach with his jump pack.

mr1135
2016-02-11, 02:11 PM
Elias Galabrand

An unease settles over him as they speed into the forest. Though the presence of the Tau are obvious, the plasma char marks from their weapons easily visible on the surroundings where they had met with Imperial resistance, the strange red light suffusing through the crimson underbrush sets his hairs standing on ends. A giant silhouette with no visible body...a xenos cloaking device of some sort? Unwilling to sit idle, the Apothecary hops off of the rear compartment, drawing his sword and pistol in the process.

Taking a few steps away from the vehicle, Elias scrutinizes their surroundings as the rest of his squad deals with the mysterious figure.

[roll0] vs 59 (Per39/HeightenedSenses+10/Awareness+10)

Aneurin
2016-02-12, 06:46 AM
Hroki Wyrm-Foe

"Curiously... passive," Hroki frowns as he leaps down from the passenger seats of the Speeder, and takes a deep breath of the air of the clearing, trying to scent... the shadow, of the thing causing the shadow while filtering out the powerful aroma of the Land Speeder's engine, Space Marine and the all-pervasive aroma of Kroot that has already liberally applied itself to both squad, following the bloodbath at the outpost, and probably every inch of the planet by now. "I expect something more than this, from a foe rumoured so fearsome,"

Okay, let's try a Smell test to try and figure out what, if anything, it smells of and if the smell (should it exist) originates from the shadow or not. I sincerely doubt anyone's tried investigating its scent before, so this might actually turn up something useful.

I... am not sure what to actually roll for this one, could be a couple of things. If Tracking, this test is vs. 52 (62 if Heightened Senses applies), if Search vs 47 (with free reroll on failure), if Awareness vs. 72 (with free reroll on failure)

[roll0]
Free reroll on failure (if needed) of a Per test due to Wolf Senses solo mode ability: [roll1]

Adamusa
2016-02-12, 08:16 PM
Temur's auspex flickers and crackles. Through the static, he cannot identify anything useful. Halvgrim reaches out with his mind, but touches only the surrounding area. Curiously, though he can feel the minds of critters in the nearby forest, they all seem to avoid the glade in which the shadow lingers.

Elias glances around, noting the bloodstains and the curious fact that the glade is completely circular. Hroki lifts his head and sniffs at the air. A variety of smells wash through his senses. The blood, a mix of human, Tau and Vespid. The forest, autumnal leaves mixed with the scents of animals and undergrowth.

The glade is otherwise quiet. Nothing aside from the Kill-Team moves inside the darkened clearing.

Hrolff
2016-02-15, 12:27 AM
Temur will hang the auspex at his belt. Even without his involvement, the device was continuing to take in information from the surrounding area, and he was familiar enough with it to recognise the sound that the static would make if it levelled out.

Perhaps he needed more data. Relying on the others to watch for any possible threats, he will walk carefully into the area covered by the shadow. If there was something tangible there, this was the easiest way to find it.

Responding to Halvgrim, he will retrieve one of the illuminators they had been gifted with. 'A light to banish the darkness? That seems like the sort of help the Omega Vault has been known to give others.'

Temur will shine the illuminator at the centre of the shadow and then pan it slowly back.

Aneurin
2016-02-16, 10:50 AM
Hroki Wyrm-Foe

"No scent to it," he says quietly, breathing deep. "Xenos blood, Tau and Vespid, along with human and the smell of battle. Be wary, Brother," he cautions Temur, drawing his chainblade and bolt pistol as the White Scar approaches the mysterious shadow. "Do not enter the shadow unless you must; we know little about it, and what defenses it may possess. It may not even be aware we are here,"

Toxic Mind
2016-02-16, 11:17 AM
As Temur moves towards the shadow, Corlis grabs his lascannon and hefts it. The flamer is too great of a risk given its massive spray and range. The lascannon would provide more accurate shots. Vahn braces himself and waits to see what will come, ready to fire at the first target.

mr1135
2016-02-16, 02:48 PM
Elias Galabrand

Keeping a vigilant watch of their surroundings, Elias continues to survey the perimeter whilst the kill-team approaches the mystery before them.

"Have caution brothers...I do not believe this clearing is natural in its creation. A perfect circle...whatever had made it could still be in the area."

ForbiddenLore Xenos: roll1d100 vs 64 (Per54/Talented+10)

Elias is going to think if he has heard of anything that could've created something like this in his mind as he continues to keep an overwatch of the area.

Edit: Screwed up the rolling. I'll fix it in OOC.

Adamusa
2016-02-16, 04:57 PM
Temur flicks on the luminator and the ancient blue light streams out from the archaeotech device. As he pans it upwards, something is revealed. A flat, uneven arch towers over the glade, its silhouette aligning perfectly with the shadow cast upon the ground. Dark panels of shifting images stretch between splayed pinions of inactive circuitry. Very few of the swirling shapes are discernable; an eye, perhaps the trail of a comet. It gives the Astartes the constant sense that they are seeing only part of a large pattern.

As the strange device is revealed, Elias's mind flashes back to the century-spanning archives of the Deathwatch, recalling information on this strange device.

You recognise this device, such as it is, as a Delirium Trellis. The Ordo Xenos has unearthed a handful of these madness-inducing xenotech webs in the Jericho Reach and dubbed them Delirium Trellises for their effects on humans. The devices cause subtle distortions in the warp which seem to cause different malignant reactions in different life forms. This variance has led to theories that the creatiors of the Delirium Trellis were either immune to the effects or capable of constructing protective measures.

A Trellis takes the form of a looming yet delicate array of shifting images until activated. Once this happens, it quickly rots away, leaving no physical sign that it ever existed but intangibly blighting the surroundings for dozens of kilometres. The number of Trellises necessary to blanket an entire planet with dementia is easily hundreds of times the total count of devices ever discovered, nor do any known accounts exist of the phasing used to conceal them.

mr1135
2016-02-16, 06:51 PM
Elias Galabrand

Mag-locking his bolt pistol to his thigh plate, Elias retrieves a Melta Bomb from his belt and begins to approach the device with it in hand.

"I know what this is Corlis. The Ordos Xenos designates this and its like as a Delirium Trellis, a filthy warp tainted device. It must be destroyed before it is able to fully deploy its maddening influence on those around this area. It is most likely the origins of the supposed Ghosts of Baraban. The arch however is an entirely different matter. The Delirium Trellis' discovered in the past have never been observed to have the capability to hide itself. This presents an even greater problem."

Approaching Temur who stands directly in front of the machine's scintillating display, he gives the Tech-Marine a nod before pausing to look upon the now revealed arch over the Trellis.

"I see no need for any further deliberations brothers. This Xenos machines must be destroyed. We should time the detonations to ensure their total destruction. Let this land be cleansed of its infernal corruption."

Toxic Mind
2016-02-16, 07:31 PM
Corlis Vahn

Wytchcraft. Worse still - Xenos wytchcraft. Still... Vahn holds up his hand to pause his kill-team. "Hold your wrath for a moment, Brother Elias. It will have its outlet soon enough. Your are correct - this abomination must be destroyed, and we shall see to that soon enough. However, it would be remiss of us to not take this chance to attempt to determine the source of this heresy. Was it brought or built? Who cloaked it, and for what purpose? If these attacks, and the Ghosts, are caused by these machines, then we must learn all we can to destroy them. This will not be an isolated incident, that much I am sure."

"Brother Temur, Brother Halvgrim - is there any knowledge that you possess as to how this device came to be here, and came to be cloaked in such a manner?"

Vahn himself dismounts, and scans the area for signs of how the Trellis came to be here - engine marks or scarring, or even the length of nearby grass. Anything to determine the age at which this abomination came to rest here.
[roll0]

Checkmate-Pony
2016-02-17, 07:00 PM
Halvgrim clearly has a rather clintching reaction to Elias's eagerness to destroy it

"Wait please..." But held his tongue as Corlis explained it so well

"We need it Elias" Siding with Corlis "If you say it's not normally cloaked and hidden like this then something else must hiding it, Maybe the Illuminator can find it as well" reaching his hands out with wild gestures

"Brother Temur, Brother Halvgrim - is there any knowledge that you possess as to how this device came to be here, and came to be cloaked in such a manner?"

Halvgrim grumbled at such a request and started stroking his beard and pacing a bit "urgh I've heard of beings that could only be seen with certain volume of madness, hmm Tower only those of psykic nature could see... there was a daemon who's visage killed, so it too could not be seen as a result he mumbled aimlessly

He approached the Trellis and tried to tap on it's surface with his totem like staff like a confused old man

But I don't understand, I didn't 'see' anything metaphysically impossible about it. As if it's not witchcraft at all... his eyes suddenly went wide and he spoke with dread ... Oh, But maybe it isent witchcraft at all, could it be that pure technology has fooled us

Hrolff
2016-02-18, 12:59 AM
Temur will grin in response to Hroki, while still staring forward. 'For all we know it may already be aware of us.' He has moved just inside the area covered by the shadow.

As the xenos trellis is revealed, Temur will stare at it with professional interest. Even if xenos technology operated in ways beyond the understanding of the Mechanicus, some things could still be understood by observing how it behaved. He will begin to walk around the edge of the structure, and will look for anything that might be a power source or anything that might be responsible fo the cloak.

To Corlis, 'With the right equipment and enough time, I could probably tell you exactly how long it has been here. Yet I wonder if interfering with it too much is likely to activate it.' Temur is also checking to see if the trellis remains visible even when the light from the illuminator wasn't directly touching it. If it was tangible, they could at least interact with it properly, even if only to destroy it. He will sigh slightly at Halvgrim's lack of caution, but admittedly, that was the obvious next step.

To see anything interesting

vs. Per 43 (+20 auspex)
[roll0]

Denomar
2016-02-18, 09:37 AM
"I, on the other hand do not care where it comes from. It is Xenos filth and should be treated as such. Let us destroy this awful thing and be done with it."

Now that Vult can see the blasphemous archway he sounds much more assured. It is after all much easier to properly hate something in the time honored emperor blessed fashion if that something is visible.

mr1135
2016-02-19, 03:31 PM
Elias Galabrand

Elias follows behind Temur and Halvgrim as they inspects the Xenos object, standing guard and Malta Bomb still in hand. Bristling at the sight of the psyker so callously interacting with the Trellis, the Black Templar takes a deep breath to suppress his urge to push the Astartes aside.

Clenching his teeth, his voice growls through the grills of his helm. "Take heed of your actions Rune Priest, lest you set off the device and let it's taint blanket the area, doing our enemy's work.

Col is please...mustn't dally here. The Dilirium Trellis itself is not the target we seek and is outside the scope of our mission. Every moment we allow it to sit here, we risk its activation. Though the Arch itself may prove otherwise, let us at the very least erase this fel-object from existence before continuing on our task."

Adamusa
2016-02-22, 02:39 PM
Temur hovers the auspex over the shadowy device. It beeps and he spots a small port that could be accessible via a combi-tool or electro-graft. Whoever the makers of this device were, it seems they used similar technology to the Imperium.

Halvgrim's mind contains a vast amount of knowledge, but even after some good time thinking, he cannot recall anything that might mark this device as daemonic or psychic in nature. It seems that he will have to try other avenues.

Temur, you have both Tech-Use and Forbidden Lore (Xenos) and thus you may make a test against the LOWER of the two in order to try and interface with the device.

On an unrelated note, everyone roll Willpower at a +10.

Hrolff
2016-02-24, 12:59 AM
Looking at the patterns in the trellis was starting to give Temur a headache. He will bend down to closer examine the port. It looked of almost human design. Or it was close enough that he might be able to learn something from interfacing with it.

Turning to speak to the others, 'There is an access port located on part of the trellis. I believe I can use it to learn something of its capabilities.' He will glance at Elias anticipating a reaction to that. 'From what Elias says the device is too dangerous to be left here, especially if the Tau were to gain control of it.'

'But if the trellis is responsible for the spirits that plague this planet, this device alone may not be the only one on all of Baraban. If there is even a chance that there are more of these things, I need to learn enough about them to track them.'

'I will not attempt it without everyone's assent, but if there is a greater risk to me personally for attempting this, I accept it willingly.'

Checkmate-Pony
2016-02-26, 09:21 PM
Halvgrim looks to the sky, looks for birds circling the heavens. He produced a small deck of cards from his belt, held in a wooden casing. He didn't make any big fuss about it, the cards didn't seem like anything a space wolf would use, the usual stories that rune priests tossed bones and runes in a bowl made it seem out of place, and Halvgrim properly had a grand story to tell of why he used a worn deck of cards as part of his mystique, cartomancy and playing cards was such a terran thing, and no doubt would Halvgrim had made tea if he had the leaves for it.

Halvgrim just started humming and walking off to the edge of the clearing as if he was waiting for everyone else to get on with it. He found a small rock and sat on it, and layed his staff on the ground, there was such a casual demenour over him. He would sit down shuffling the cards, having removed his gauntlets to do it, and used his robes as a little blanket to deal the cards out on. If every motion and gesture he made, he also made a little sound, a grunt of "hummm" sound to go along, whilst also humming some old song about The 'Migo' dwelling the mountains cold, it would be a funny melody of sounds: "bumbum´bum um, mmph hum?" clearly loosing himself in thought

A few times he would stop, and look to the sky and whisper something to himself, as if asking the cards a question before laying down another card. He'd do this over and over, at one point he'd look angry at a tiny rock next to him and with a flick of his finger, dashing it away as if that one tiny rock was preventing him from performing his bizarre ritual

Reading the future was a futile thing, the act of seeing the future changed it's course, and one saw only multitudes of possibilities, the act of seeing them was meaningless if one could not comprehend what created the paths to begin with, which relied on a sense mortals did not possess, not even Astartes, not even psykers, only god had such power, the alfather. And that was exactly the idea.

Halvgrim's hums and groans of interest became deeper and deeper till they were no longer quiet things, they carried on the wind and became bass like, unnatural, no throat could produce such sounds, clouds would cover the sun deeply and suddenly as if it was meant to happen, and the grass curled under dropping temperatures that fell in tune with Halvgrim's internal chant. Smoke emitted from his great mane of hair, but not fire smoke, it was the mist of heat in cold air and his armour slowly grew icy droplets and a thick sheet of white ice, the wind died and was painful to breath as Halvgrim kept muttering questions to his cards, the same question and laying them out as if they could answer him that way. Halvgrim knew full well cartomancy had no mystical powers, it had it's own psychological science to it, one would ask a question and lay out the cards, and one would try to derive a meaning from them based on broad concepts and interpretations. The mind finds a pattern, such was the human brain, seeing patterns where none were, and in turn gain some insight, or at least fool oneself into thinking so, it was during such foolish musings ones mind opened up, it was with this medium Halvgrim channeled his powers, reaching into the warp in an attempt to glean the dead memories of the emperor and his spirit, even if he was no longer among them, embers of his intellect and psykic fury stood as candles in the cosmos, and those embers could light the tapestry of the future; if only a small part of it.

Aneurin
2016-02-28, 10:51 AM
Hroki Wyrm-Foe

For all his respect for the wisdom of the Run Priests, Hroki carefully moves away from Halvgrim as he begins his wyrd working. Even casting the runes can go awry, and with an infernal and tainted device in the area it is a sensible action to ensure that not all of the group are caught in any unpleasantness that may be brought about.

"Best we destroy it soonest, but that this creation is in the place we were directed to look for the shadow is surely not coincidence," He says, with a doubtful look at the... construction... once he is a reasonable distance apart from the others. "Perhaps, given what we have seen, the 'ghost of Baraban' is a creature, or group of creatures, that uses these hidden structures as a base and attacks from within. Since the shadows remain visible even when the whole is covered, it may well explain the stories of 'ghosts' launching attacks, especially if projectiles from within retain the cloaking,"

He frowns and glances at Temur.

"Brother, is there a sign of what is causing the cloaking effect?"

Adamusa
2016-02-28, 12:22 PM
Halvgrim reads the cards and the arcane message they display. It would confuse anyone not trained in the psychic arts, but the wily Rune Priest sees the patterns clearly.

The cards show you several things, but most notably the following.

"To end the threat of the Shadow, one must bring the light to the darkest places. For the shadows fear the light and only by it can they be vanquished."

You realise that this means there is more than one Trellis on Baraban, and that the ancient luminators that your team carry are the only real method of locating them.

As the Space Wolf reads the cards, an icy layer of hoarfrost creeps over the glade, covering the ground in sparkling ice.

The Kill-team are discussing how best to remove this obvious threat, when a strange feeling washes over them. Corlis, Vult and Halvgrim only feel a passing sense of unease and the hairs on the back of the Space Wolf's neck stand up. For the other members of the team however, it is much worse.

Temur:
Within the darkest reaches of your mind lurks the shadow of Jaghatai Khan's rage and fury, seeking any opportunity to emerge and causing you to become belligerent and quick to anger. This imposes a -10 penalty on all Fellowship tests that you attempt and requires that you take a Willpower test when challenged, confronted or opposed by an ally; failure means that your anger boils up and is released in some way, from an enraged outburst, the beginnings of a feud or, if the test was failed by 3 or more degrees, physical violence.

Elias:
You can scarcely stand the presence of psykers and you abhor the sight of them. If there is a psyker in the Kill-Team (which there is), the squad's Cohesion is reduced by 1 until such time as the psyker leaves or is killed.

Hroki:
The keen sense of a Space Wolf can be as much a curse as a boon. Sometimes, they can overpower you, temporarily robbing you of your senses. The first time a foe is bloodied by you in battle, you must make a Willpower test at +20. If you pass this test, you may only take a Half action on your next turn as your nostrils are flooded by the scent of your prey.

mr1135
2016-02-29, 12:31 PM
Elias Galabrand

What began as a gentle pressure on his temples quickly develops into a throbbing migraine. Lost for a moment in contemplation, he suddenly feels the dramatic drop in temperature, even inside of his armour. As natural as breathing, this training takes over and Elias spins on his heels to confront his suspicions. Though his every instinct told him to raise his bolter and put and end to this once in for all, he clenches his teeth and wills his hands to mag-lock his weaponry to his thigh plates. He begins to storm towards the Librarian.

"By Dorn's Light, have you lost your mind Psyker? I had warned you but a moment ago to cease the wanton use of your accursed powers so that we may avoid triggering the Trellis. A device might I remind you, that is fully capable of bathing swathes of this world in its warp madness!"

The Black Templar's voice is laced in vitriol, his accusations blasting through his vox-grill. Roughly shouldering past Hroki as he makes his way towards Halvgrim, he continues his denouncement as pain shoots through his head once more. The Righteous Fury within him yearned for release. Its hot breath breathing alongside his every breath. Its warmth suffusing though his body as its voice intones though the countless Catechisms of Hate. It pulled against its adamantine chains, straining against them, deforming them.

Before he knew it, he was at the edge of the frosted circle. Raising his hand, he points accusingly at the Space Wolf's face and the Sanctioning Mark upon it. "Knowing its dangers, you would still so flippantly flaunt your powers in its proximity? Have you no thought or care for your Battle-Brothers cur? Your impertinent use of your fel abilities prove not of your prowess Priest, but only highlights your lack of self control! You may think yourself a Son of Russ, but I see no noble savage within you! You are simply a Witch drunk on your own powers!"

All pretensions were gone as are his attempts to stop his blood from boiling. Every step that took him closer Halvgrim only further narrowed his vision. It would be so easy to finally let loose the hate. To let loose the venomous rancor.

Suddenly, a strong hand grips his forearm and a voice cuts through like ice.

"Galabrand!"

...Corlis.

Toxic Mind
2016-02-29, 12:54 PM
The Devestator's grip is like adamantium. It allows no further movement, and his tone allows for neither dissent nor explanation.

"You will control yourself brother, or I will be forced to do it for you. Dorn himself fought with his brothers, but he did so with respect, acknowledging their worth even as his disagreed with their methods. You defended Brother Halvgrim against a member of your own chapter, citing his worth. Would you forget those oaths now?"

Vahn quickly sends a series of rapid fire voxes across private channels, his analytical mind already working to contain the threat posed while still furthering their mission.

"Brother Vult - this xenos abomination is clearly playing tricks on the minds of our kill-team. Set the charges. I want it cleansed - now."

"Brother Temur - scan the artefact with your auspex. If we can isolate its energy frequency, the Spear of Fury can scan for the signatures from orbit. I will not risk more of my kill-team interfacing with this object. For now, investigation will have to wait."

Then, to all.

"Brothers, you have your orders. Clear the area - we do not know what the destruction of this device will do, but I cannot imagine it will be pleasant." Vahn holds an Illuminator on the trellis long enough for Vult to set his charges, then backs away with the others.

[roll0] General Check to see how well the orders came across/give people an idea how well they might follow them/dissent. (if people need it.)

EDIT: Them some inspiring orders, there. Such command, such presence. :smallwink:

Hrolff
2016-02-29, 10:02 PM
Moments before, Temur is already growing frustrated with his attempts to analyse the trellis. Perhaps the more conservative thinkers amongst the Mechanicus were correct. What could be learnt from technology that didn't seem to follow any known rules. Answering Hroki, Temur will grumble, 'The thing itself is likely causing the cloak. Perhaps the Ordo has never seen one fully operational, or perhaps they don't see fit to circulate such information.' He intends to fully research these structures when they returned to Erioch. After Hroki's speculations, he was fall silent and brood on old wars.

Now, Temur's headache will sharply increase and he will clutch a hand to the side of his head. His one remaining human eye was starting to throb. As his breath starts to fog, he can feel the drop in temperature and understands exactly where it was coming from. Psykers working their craft produced an inevitable backwash, and it could hardly be helped. Indeed, this was phenomena that was common enough that Temur had seen it produced many times while fighting besides the Seers of his chapter.

Seeing Elias's reaction, Temur will feel a surge of anger at the Templar. Before joining the Deathwatch, Temur had had little trust for the Wolves. Going by their reputation they were everything that all warrriors on Chogoris strove to avoid becoming, yet these two at least had been brothers in good standing. On Bekrin, Halvgrim's powers had almost allowed him to turn back that Hormagaunt swarm by himself. Any psyker who could not fully control his powers would not have reached Halvgrim's rank, while anything created by accident was no fault of the Rune Priest. Before Corlis manages to get there first, Temur is suddenly advancing on Elias to get between him and Halvgrim. While he may start by believing that he is only moving to restrain the Templar, his hand has unconsciously moved to his belt knife. Behind him, his servo-arm, which is normally folded up when not in use, is now fully extended and is swaying from side to side as if in agitation.

In response to Corlis' orders, Temur stare flatly at him for a moment before nodding and turning his back while audibly muttering about 'goat-brained fools'. He will make one final attempt to analyse the trellis through the auspex, and then make sure Vult is setting up the demo charges correctly. The others could hardly be trusted over the use of such things.

I have two demo charges on me plus the Demolitions skill if we need it.

Rolling tech-use with the auspex to look for anything invisible that we can use to find any other trellis.
vs. Int 55
[roll0]

If the first roll fails, I'll reroll with a fate point
[roll1]

That didn't go well. If we're looking for more of these, we could presumably talk to some locals.

Hrolff
2016-03-01, 11:48 PM
Temur is getting increasingly angry at his failure to find anything useful about the trellis. He felt that the lack of data was mocking him. He is also dwelling on the memories of his former squad and the example they had set. While Temur had only recently come to the Deathwatch, he was not without experience in hunting xenos. He knew exactly what needed to be done and owed it to the memory of those he had lost to follow up on that.

Having made up his mind, Temur will wave Vult back claiming that he will finish up himself. Once the Black Shield is at a safe distance, he will replace his helmet, toss the detonator towards Corlis, and plug himself into the trellis through the implant on the back of his neck.

Rolling Demolitions if a roll is needed
vs. Int 55
[roll0]

Interface Check
vs. Int 55
[roll1]

and using another fate point if needed

[roll2]

Adam - I have no extra ranks or bonuses for Tech-Use or Forbidden Lore (Xenos) so I don't know which counts as the lower skill here. (It's late and I may have missed something obvious :smallconfused:)

Checkmate-Pony
2016-03-02, 09:36 AM
Halvgrim was lost in his internal tempest, one might as well have been yelling at a sleeping man than trying to talk to Halvgrim, when suddenly he snapped awake painfully gasping "Farther!" he lifts his hand and all the cards leap back into his palm like a reverse 32 card pick up

He shook and got to his feet, the ice coating him cracked like snapping branches, like he was a tree uprooting itself, his whole body still smoked from the absence of heat as warmth slowly returned to the world.

"Elias! I saw something" walking closer having no idea what Elias and Corlis had been talking about "I saw it, I saw more, there is more than one Trellis, and I know why we can't see them

Halvgrim manicly gets closer to grab on to the collar of Elias, his eyes had no white in them, just blue within blue "Because they are shadow, they are darkness, the only thing in this world that allow us to perceive them is the Luminators" The Light of God" he explained with utter conviction despite the total lack of scientific logic behind the claim, he knew it to be true.

mr1135
2016-03-02, 10:29 PM
Elias Galabrand

Still bristling in anger, the Sergeant's words had cut deep into his mind. His body frozen as the phrase replays itself over and over.

Would you forget those oaths now?

Halvgrim's grip on his gorget makes him look up and into the Space Wolf's searing blue eyes. The intensity of them made him want to recoil, yet it also spoke volumes to him. There was an undeniable purity in their conviction, a sense of righteous purpose. Halvgrim was convinced of what he had seen, transfixed by it as much as Elias is now from his gaze. For a split second, there was an understanding between the two Battle Brothers.

But just as abrupt as moment came, it was gone in a heart beat. A growl emits through the Black Templar's grill, full of restrained fury.

"Unhand me..."

Gripping the Rune Priest's wrists, Elias slowly pry them off of himself. With that done, he takes a deep breath before taking a small step away from the two Astartes. The Mantras of Hatred still sings in the back of his mind, its will pressing onto his mind. He needed to distance himself from the Psyker. To rein in the emotions before he does something he may regret. Looking to Corlis, he gives the Sergeant a nearly imperceptible nod in acknowledgment of his command before turning and walking away from the group.

Abhor the Witch! Destroy the Witch!...

His back towards the Kill-Team, the Black Templar does not stop until he arrives at the very edge of the clearing. He takes a moment to shut out the sounds of his squad mates from his mind. The Fury was quieter now, it's fathomless ferocity temporary abated. Gently easing his helm off, Elias takes another deep breath to steady himself and to find his center as mixed feeling of revulsion and righteousness plague his thoughts.

If the Rune Priest had been right...If his warp sight did show him the path... No there is as much chance of it being false, affected by the chaotic forces emanating from these machines, as there is truth in its interpretation. But those eyes... the same eyes as those on Bekrin... I can see the same truth within them as I had then. Can they be denied?

Denomar
2016-03-03, 02:19 AM
Vult draws forth one of the demo charges that Temur had stashed in the landspeeder and hops out towards the trellis doing his best to studiously ignore Halvgrim's scrying. He doesn't get far before Temur snatches the bomb from his hands with a grunt of "goat brained fool." and waves off any further attempt to assist him. Raising his hands in the universal gesture for 'whatever' the black shield turns to scan the horizon.

Perhaps it is this studious focus on places that are not the trellis that protects Vult from the sudden wave of antipathy. The quiet of his contemplation is shattered by the shouts of his squadmates.

The passions of the Adeptus Astartes run deeper than most mortals, who view them as nearer to machine than man, can realize. But the surge in hostility still takes him aback. He waits as the shouting drifts into a lull of uncomfortable strained silence. Then ensuring his vox is open to the entire kill team he makes his best attempt at restoring focus to the squad.

"We are each of us Brothers of most ancient blood, and strangers with the gulf of the stars between us and our ways. Brought together for one reason."

He points to the trellis.

"Purge the Alien."

I would have Vult make a command test, but I don't want to undermine Corlis' authority. So instead I'll just make a fellowship test to appeal to everyone's better nature (since he doesn't really understand what happened).

[roll0] Target 61 (Fellowship 41 + 20 Mark III Armour for fellowship tests with space marines)

Then Temur plugs himself into the trellis and and Vult's word trail off in dumbfounded shock.

Adamusa
2016-03-08, 03:43 PM
As Temur interfaces with the ancient device, his vison goes dark for a moment. Suddenly, it returns and zooms out to view the planet of Baraban. Superimposed over the planet is a web of bright dots, each one a star in a vast lattice of lines laid over the world. He attempts to place the melta bomb on the device as the giant map washes through his sight, but forgets to activate the mag-clamp and the bomb drops to the floor, unarmed.

Hroki is stricken as smells flood through his senses. Everything washes through at once, the smell of the forests and the wildlife, the sound of water gushing through a brook miles away, the sound of leaves falling from trees. It is overwhelming.

Temur, you have discovered the map of all of the other Trellises that were placed on Baraban. Many of these are now gone however, so you will need to make a standard Logic test in order to decipher the map and find out which ones remain.

Toxic Mind
2016-03-14, 10:10 AM
"Report!" Corlis barks out sternly.

Hrolff
2016-03-14, 07:36 PM
As Temur accesses the trellis, he has the jarring sensation of looking down on the entire planet from multiple directions at the same time. There were so many of them. He will mentally make a copy of the map and transfer it to his armour’s internal systems. In time, the Ordo would need to double check each of the sites, but for now they could focus on the most likely targets. He will spend a few moments comparing the map to what he knew about Baraban. Some sites were in remote locations and could be visited later. Others were behind Imperial lines and could at least be secured quickly. The rest, particularly any thay were close to areas held by the Tau, would be their objectives.

In response to Corlis, he will stand and abruptly yank the cable out of the trellis. ‘I have it Corlis. I have everything we need to know. It’s like a sleeping animal. Connecting with it is not truly dangerous if you know the right way to approach it.' He will look at the others for a moment expecting a response and will vox them the coordinates of the likely sites.

‘The scale of this is disturbing. According to the machine there should be hundreds of these things on Baraban, even if I doubt that all of them are still intact. I doubt we can check them all without help, so these are the sites we should start with.’ As he talks, he is reattaching the demo charge to the trellis. He is angry at himself for such an obvious mistake.

Toxic Mind
2016-03-22, 11:27 PM
"Very well. We destroy this, then move onward to the others. I suggest we move for the farthest first, then work our way back inward. As our resources run low, we will also come closer to Imperial lines." Vahn suggests in his quiet manner. Ever the strategist, putting the mission ahead of even an Astartes' desire to make war.

Denomar
2016-03-24, 11:45 AM
Vult immediately turns and heads back to the landspeeder. He hopes that if he does not argue with Corlis that the others will not either. He is still somewhat shocked by Temur interfacing with the Xenos artifact and watches him out of the corner of his eye.

That was reckless even by his standards.

Hrolff
2016-03-27, 09:42 PM
Temur is now distracted by reattaching the charges to the trellis.

'So be it.' He is disapointed at the thought of moving further away from the Tau. 'No doubt there will be targets on the way.'

Toxic Mind
2016-03-28, 06:29 PM
"Clear the area. We do not know what effect destroying the construct will have, but it is doubtful that it is benign." Vahn grabs his weapons and efficiently loads them back onto the speeder.