PDA

View Full Version : Evangelist/Sacred Exorcist build

Droopy McCool
2015-12-19, 06:22 PM
Well, I've decided to finish out my idea for a really fun character, but I'm unsure about feats at and after 6th level. Maybe I could get some help. I like the classes for flavor, regardless of inefficiency, but as usual I will consider changing the build if someone has something similar but better.

Table notes:

Paladins get 4+Int skill points per level. Also, will be using the Paladin I tweaked (linked).
Racial bonuses are drawn from PF to keep up with Humans. Dwarves get +2 Con and Wis, -2 Cha.

Droopy McCool - Dwarf

Feat Rogue 1/Paladin (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?472329-The-Paladin-Hypothetical-Fix) 4/Evangelist 5/Sacred Exorcist 10

Str 14, Dex 10, Con 14, Int 12, Wis 10, Cha 16
(starting stats 14, 10, 12, 12, 8, 18)

Feats
1 - Negotiator (Evangelist prereq)
F1 - Power Attack
3 - Battle Blessing
6 - Leadership
9 - Practiced Spellcaster
12 - Divine Spell Power
15 - Earth Devotion
18 - Law Devotion

That about does it. Your help is appreciated.

McCool

backwaterj
2015-12-20, 03:25 AM
A bit more information would be helpful in helping you. Beyond being a persuasive and inspirational hunter of evil, what's he about? What's his background? Perhaps most importantly, what's his deity? This more than anything else shapes a devout character, and in many cases influences the mechanics of the build.

It's also worth looking at what his party role is to be. Do you see him as a support cleric, frontline fighter, healer, buffer, rangeresque hunter of evil?

Based on the information presented though, there are a few which would likely fit most builds.

Divine Feats: Even with SE giving you full turning progression, you're still 8 levels behind a cleric of your CL (assuming you kept paladin turning at cleric level-2) in terms of what/how much you can affect. Since you're going with a charisma-casting build (which is a bit ouch for a dwarf) I'll assume you have a decent number of turning attempts to throw around and getting metamagic feats for no spell level cost is huge, especially when it comes to things like Reach Spell for healing. Granted your uses per day are limited (I'd tend toward 1-2 level metamagics for this purpose); the use tends to be situational anyways, and having options is always good.

Domain Feats: These will hugely depend on your deity of choice as far as their utility. My personal favorite is Knowledge Devotion if you're into hitting things and don't mind putting a few ranks into a variety of knowledge skills. Remember as a non-cleric you can have a maximum of two and they must have some sort of reasonable connection to each other (ie. no Chaos/Law Devotion :smallwink:).

Power Attack Tree: At least Cleave is worthwhile considering, and of course you'll want a two-handed weapon to get the most benefit from this (this can actually be pretty ridiculous if you spring for a proficiency in spiked chain or meteor hammer but that's the melee optimizer in me talking).

Martial Study/Martial Stance: Worth considering if it's a melee build and you use ToB material. Bear in mind your effective Initiator Level is equal to half your class level (assuming no martial adept classes) so these feats become better later in the progression.

If you use a lot of CL-dependent spells Practiced Spellcaster and Divine Spell Power are definitely worth a look.

Hope this helps and good luck with a so-far intriguing build! :smallsmile:

Sources: PHB, Complete Champion, Complete Divine, Tome of Battle

Droopy McCool
2015-12-20, 04:03 AM
A bit more information would be helpful in helping you. Beyond being a persuasive and inspirational hunter of evil, what's he about? What's his background? Perhaps most importantly, what's his deity? This more than anything else shapes a devout character, and in many cases influences the mechanics of the build.

It's also worth looking at what his party role is to be. Do you see him as a support cleric, frontline fighter, healer, buffer, rangeresque hunter of evil?

AFB right now, but I'll get into the character himself. What's cool is the DM agreed to work all this into the campaign somehow.

Raised in a Dwarf village, he never knew his parents because they were murdered by a marauding band of barbaric Humans (Crazy, I know). He was raised by the church of Moradin, learning to be skilled at anything and everything so he could help himself in the world, while training to fight on the side. One day, the High Priest tells him he must seek out the barbarians who ransacked their village years ago and their allies, and that Moradin was blessing him as a special holy fighter for this cause.

Long story short, after adventuring for some time and smiting his god's foes, he receives a vision from Moradin telling him to go further abroad and preach in his name, establishing churches among the wild tribes and even in civilized areas. He does so for a while, and his god grants him a new power; power over the evil spirits possessing people.

The whole time, of course, he is ready and willing to fight those who deny his god, but would rather gain believers for his church.

His role in party will be that of a supporting fighter while acting as the buffer/healer (no Cleric in party).

I was considering Leadership as a feat for level 6 or even later, but I will definitely look into your suggestions, when I can. Thanks!

McCool

backwaterj
2015-12-20, 04:36 AM
Sounds great, I like the spin of a divine character who's more about "convert the infidels" than "smite the infidels".

Leadership totally works for him, I'd do it.

...and hmm, all his Domain Feats look pretty strong too. Earth and Protection in particular.

Edit: If he's a warhammer wielder and you'd consider going into another prestige class, Hammer of Moradin (Player's Guide to Faerun) might be worth a look for at least a dip. Gives some nice ranged tricks plus extra melee damage.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-20, 12:40 PM
Sounds great, I like the spin of a divine character who's more about "convert the infidels" than "smite the infidels".

Leadership totally works for him, I'd do it.

...and hmm, all his Domain Feats look pretty strong too. Earth and Protection in particular.

Once again, I don't have my books, but I will check this out when I can.

Edit: If he's a warhammer wielder and you'd consider going into another prestige class, Hammer of Moradin (Player's Guide to Faerun) might be worth a look for at least a dip. Gives some nice ranged tricks plus extra melee damage.

Goliath Greathammer user, but the campaign setting books aren't allowed anyway. Woulda been cool though.

McCool

Droopy McCool
2015-12-20, 03:31 PM
OK then, I've gone over the books, and I've put down feats for 6th through 15th level. I'm looking now for a good feat to make an impact at 18th level, but I still want suggestions. What should I take here that will actually help?

McCool

backwaterj
2015-12-20, 04:54 PM
Hmm, I'd be tempted to go Practiced Spellcaster for the extra CL on healing spells etc. Or Divine Metamagic.

Actually I'd be tempted to do this earlier in the progression but that's your call.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-20, 05:32 PM
Hmm, I'd be tempted to go Practiced Spellcaster for the extra CL on healing spells etc. Or Divine Metamagic.

Actually I'd be tempted to do this earlier in the progression but that's your call.

Wow! I completely glossed over Practiced Spellcaster, but it is actually a great choice when I lose CL with Evangelist. I think this is good now (I don't care for metamagic. our campaigns aren't too high power anyway). Thanks a bunch!

McCool