PDA

View Full Version : Negative Strength mod and sneak attack

Yogibear41
2015-12-19, 06:47 PM
Will a negative strength modifier influence bonus damage such as from sneak attack?

For example say I have a 6 strength and am using a small dagger for 1d3-2 damage, but also have 1d6 sneak attack damage. I roll a 1 on my 1d3 and a 3 on my 1d6 sneak attack. Will I do 4 damage or 2 damage: Does the Minimum 1 damage on the 1d3 calculate before the extra 1d6 from sneak attack is added on, or does the negative from my strength reduce my sneak attack damage in the even that my regular damage does not make up for my strength penalty.

Beheld
2015-12-19, 06:48 PM
Will a negative strength modifier influence bonus damage such as from sneak attack?

For example say I have a 6 strength and am using a small dagger for 1d3-2 damage, but also have 1d6 sneak attack damage. I roll a 1 on my 1d3 and a 3 on my 1d6 sneak attack. Will I do 4 damage or 2 damage: Does the Minimum 1 damage on the 1d3 calculate before the extra 1d6 from sneak attack is added on, or does the negative from my strength reduce my sneak attack damage in the even that my regular damage does not make up for my strength penalty.

The minimum 1 damage comes at the end, so if you roll low, you will do less than your normal SA damage.

BowStreetRunner
2015-12-19, 06:56 PM
The ability modifier rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityModifiers) state that the bonus or penalty is applied to the damage roll, not to the total damage. So you would roll your 1d3, apply your ability modifier, then add any bonus damage dice.

Elxir_Breauer
2015-12-19, 08:50 PM
Thus, to fully answer the question in full, it becomes 1d3-2=1+1d6 (roll of 3 in example)=4 total damage.

Curmudgeon
2015-12-20, 05:59 AM
The ability modifier rules (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#abilityModifiers) state that the bonus or penalty is applied to the damage roll, not to the total damage.
The problem is that sneak attack is part of the damage roll, just as the weapon damage die is part of the damage roll. It's not something that happens at a later time; it's all simultaneous.

nyjastul69
2015-12-20, 06:54 AM
Originally posted by the SRD: Strength Bonus
When you hit with a melee or thrown weapon, including a sling, add your Strength modifier to the damage result. A Strength penalty, but not a bonus, applies on attacks made with a bow that is not a composite bow.

It seems to me that the damage roll is irrelevant. The strength penalty modifier is applied to the damage result, not the roll.

Edit: Changed penalty to modifier.

Florian
2015-12-20, 06:58 AM
It seems to me that the damage roll is irrelevant. The strength penalty is applied to the damage result, not the roll.

This.

Else flat enhancement boni to weapons would work differently, too.