PDA

View Full Version : Who here is NOT going to see Star Wars?

Starwulf
2015-12-20, 04:14 AM
First off: This is not a thread for bashing/negativity. It's enough to say you aren't interested in seeing it.

I'm more interested in what movie you ARE going to be seeing, if any at all, this holiday season. Me and my wife went to see "Krampus" last night, and surprisingly enough the theater was actually packed, which kind of blew my mind, I truly believed we'd be in a nearly empty movie theater, but that couldn't be further from the truth.

The movie was actually pretty good, I enjoyed the "Even if your family sucks, you can't give up on the holiday spirit" theme, coupled with the creepy horror moments. It even had me guessing quite a few times, and more then once I entirely predicted things horrendously wrong: For example: The Snowmen on the front yard. I honestly believed that the people that had been taken by Krampus were inside of the snowmen, but in reality they were really just there to be incredibly creepy/atmospheric. Over-all we really enjoyed it, the only really bad part to the whole experience had nothing to do with the movie. A...extremely overweight gentlemen sat behind us, and was breathing extremely loudly/heavily the entire movie(like, loud enough that it distracted us several times from the movie) and he kept passing very smelly gas, which I found to be very rude.

So I ask, what movie/s are you interested in seeing right now if you aren't on the Star Wars bandwagon?

Lethologica
2015-12-20, 04:25 AM
Well, I assumed that there wouldn't be anything good trying to compete with Star Wars opening weekend, but the question prompted me to check local listings, and whaddya know, Creed and Spotlight both look pretty interesting.

Starwulf
2015-12-20, 04:29 AM
Well, I assumed that there wouldn't be anything good trying to compete with Star Wars opening weekend, but the question prompted me to check local listings, and whaddya know, Creed and Spotlight both look pretty interesting.

Creed did look interesting. My wife and I were also considering "In the Heart of the Sea" to see together, or to take our daughters to see the 4th Chipmunks movie, if only because we saw the first three in movie theaters so it's kind of like a family tradition. If we end up with some extra money at the end of the month or at the start of next we probably will end up seeing it.

Grinner
2015-12-20, 11:54 AM
I bought a copy of the Doom movie the other day that I've been meaning to watch. To be perfectly honest, I only bought it because it was in a bargain bin and had the name Doom on it.

Which reminds me, I also need to play Doom 3 one of these days.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-20, 12:07 PM
I bought a copy of the Doom movie the other day that I've been meaning to watch. To be perfectly honest, I only bought it because it was in a bargain bin and had the name Doom on it.

You poor, poor thing. Good luck.

Grinner
2015-12-20, 01:56 PM
You poor, poor thing. Good luck.

Meh. I'm aware it's unwise to expect franchise adaptations to be anything other than insipid. :smallsigh:

Reddish Mage
2015-12-20, 02:22 PM

I came here, I saw this, and figured it perfectly sums up the case against going to see Star Wars.

Grinner
2015-12-20, 02:51 PM
I came here, I saw this, and figured it perfectly sums up the case against going to see Star Wars.

Geez...Star Wars is just a movie. It's not the Second Coming.

Manga Shoggoth
2015-12-20, 02:54 PM

Sometimes that approach works. The only reason I brought Rei-Rei was that it was in the £1 bucket. It turned out, hilarity per pound, to be the best investment I've ever made.

I won't be going to see Star Wars though - Cinema is too expensive in terms of time, travel and straightforward cost to the extent that I no longer even consider it. I might get it when it comes out on DVD, but alas the prequels still weigh heavily on me.

nyjastul69
2015-12-20, 03:02 PM
Sometimes that approach works. The only reason I brought Rei-Rei was that it was in the £1 bucket. It turned out, hilarity per pound, to be the best investment I've ever made.

I won't be going to see Star Wars though - Cinema is too expensive in terms of time, travel and straightforward cost to the extent that I no longer even consider it. I might get it when it comes out on DVD, but alas the prequels still weigh heavily on me.

I agree that the current cost of movies is prohitively expensive. I haven't seen one in decades that is actually worth the cost. I'll see the first sequel, but only because I have a free pass. The others will wait until DVD or TV release.

LokeyITP
2015-12-20, 07:04 PM
Have a good 2nd run theater nearby? Have some in my area that are almost as good as the flagship chain first release theaters at 1/3 the ticket price or less.

Last movie I was dragged to see was Star Trek into Cumberbatch, but at least I dodged the Man of Steel bullet :) Granted I'm older, 90% of the time for movies my first reaction is I saw this film already and the original version is still probably better.

Starwulf
2015-12-20, 09:12 PM

I actually very much enjoyed the Doom movie, it had just enough action combined with cheesy lines/plot to make it worth watching :)

Have to say, looks like I'm definitely in the minority though for not being interested in seeing Star Wars. Honestly figured there would be at least a dozen or more people on here that wouldn't be interested in seeing it, lol.

SuperPanda
2015-12-20, 09:17 PM
I won't be seeing Star Wars until around February but not exactly by choice. If you mosy on over to the location section you'll note that I'm not back home for the foreseeable future and as such I do not get to enjoy release dates which match those of people back home.

I'll still be trying to go see the film, but I need to wait until Chinese New Year for it to be released over here.

BeerMug Paladin
2015-12-21, 04:49 AM
I won't be seeing Star Wars. At least, in theory. I expect it to be a movie where people eventually demand I see it and just decide to show it to me when I'm around at their place for some other reason. That tends to happen to me with certain movies, and usually the outcome is not good.

As far as alternatives to seeing it goes, I just usually watch movies that catch my interest on Netflix, not really in theaters. I don't usually pay attention to what's coming out or what's been out, so I tend to have no idea what's even out there. I think the last movie I saw in a Theater was Up.

Manga Shoggoth
2015-12-21, 06:44 AM
Granted I'm older, 90% of the time for movies my first reaction is I saw this film already and the original version is still probably better.

I know the feeling - I watched the original Star Wars films in cinema, and the experience was mostly epic. (The Empire Strikes Back was a bit of a let-down, which is odd because a huge number of people like the film).

I try not to react like that for a remake, though. It's not fair to the film.

Brother Oni
2015-12-22, 07:13 AM

Most hentai usually is. For added hilarity, there are drinking games available covering all the genre staples (not mentionable here unfortunately).

Bobbybobby99
2015-12-22, 09:56 AM
I'm waiting until it's been out long enough that there are only a few obscure showings, or until it's at redbox and/or netflix. I'd rather not be part of black friday; the movie edition.

Winter_Wolf
2015-12-27, 10:42 AM
It's not that I'm Never going to see episode VII, just that I'm never going to see it in a theater. I don't have much money to burn and even less time. If I can't get in a load or two of laundry and make dinner while I'm watching, it ain't happening. Tickets for two plus babysitter and I'm literally looking at a week of groceries I can't afford. Doesn't even consider concession stand robbery which my spouse insists on.

It'll be like the Harry Potter movies; I'll see it when it's on ABC Family or FX. Ooh, I should go dig out those DVDs and see if they still work.

Ruslan
2015-12-28, 06:51 PM
If you are having second thought about seeing Star Wars, believe me, you're not missing anything. The entire movie is basically a 2+ hours long mishmash of scenes from the previous movies. That's all there is, original trilogy sliced, diced, slightly altered, and mixed together. Not a single original idea crosses the screen during the entire film.

Donnadogsoth
2015-12-30, 08:15 PM
I shall probably not attend any screenings.