View Full Version : Books I hate Marketing Tease/Lies - "New" Ciaphas Cain book

Cikomyr
2015-12-20, 02:45 PM
I love the C.C.C. books. I actually started to re-read the entire series just last week, and I am already finished with two short stories and a book and a half.

So guess me joy when I received an email from Black Library telling me (and I am not even exagerating. This is copypaste people):

A new instalment in one of your favourite series

There's a new Ciaphas Cain book...
...and we think you'll love it.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/Images/Product/DefaultBL/xlarge/BLPROCESSED-Old-Soldiers-cover8001228.jpg

cool!! A new book! I did some research about potential future installments recently, and the overall sentiment was that, since Sandy Mitchell was no longer working with Black Library, there woulnd't be new ones. Well, YHEA! Apparently these people were wrong!

After some research.. (http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Old_Soldiers_Never_Die_%28Novella%29)

Old Soldiers Never Die is a limited release novella, part of the Ciaphas Cain series by Sandy Mitchell. 500 copies were released on November 3rd and 4th, 2012, exclusively at Black Library's 2012 Weekender event.

Are you ****ing kidding me?!?! This is just an old novel that is being made available now?!

Goddamnit.

(as an aside, feel free to talk about Ciaphas Cain and his novels if you wish to. I love the rascal)

Killer Angel
2015-12-21, 07:22 AM
Are you ****ing kidding me?!?! This is just an old novel that is being made available now?!

Well, if you haven't read it, for you counts as new. :smalltongue:

But yeah, it is a... reprehensible behavior, to be polite.

Brother Oni
2015-12-22, 07:08 AM
I did some research about potential future installments recently, and the overall sentiment was that, since Sandy Mitchell was no longer working with Black Library, there woulnd't be new ones.

:smallfrown:

Oh well, that does remind me that I need to get on with reading the Flashman books.

Yes, I agree that the later Cain books do become a bit formulaic, but I still found them fun and since I'm reading for entertainment, that's all the justification I need. :smallbiggrin:

Cikomyr
2015-12-22, 10:07 AM

Oh well, that does remind me that I need to get on with reading the Flashman books.

Yes, I agree that the later Cain books do become a bit formulaic, but I still found them fun and since I'm reading for entertainment, that's all the justification I need. :smallbiggrin:

I really dont care about the formulatic format. I mean, yhea it is, but the formula always deliver something relatively new, fresh and interesting. In my opinion, the most generic story of Cain's books was the one about the Hive Ship on a frozen planet. But its still a really fun read, especially when he talk/smack down a zealous Commissar.

My favourite is Death or Glory. Such a simple plot, but grandly made.

Edit: still, i pop these books like Ferrerro Rochers

The Glyphstone
2015-12-22, 10:06 PM
Well, that's a disappointment to learn Stewart/Mitchell isn't writing for BL anymore- kills my hopes of ever reading the story about Cain vs. the Dark Eldar that he makes like three references to, or (my real dream) Cain vs. the Newcrons.

hamishspence
2015-12-22, 10:31 PM
Well, that's a disappointment to learn Stewart/Mitchell isn't writing for BL anymore- kills my hopes of ever reading the story about Cain vs. the Dark Eldar that he makes like three references to, or (my real dream) Cain vs. the Newcrons.

There's a "Cain vs Dark Eldar" audiobook though - The Devil You Know.

The Glyphstone
2015-12-22, 10:49 PM
There's a "Cain vs Dark Eldar" audiobook though - The Devil You Know.

Well, it's better than nothing, I'll have to track it down sometime.

Cikomyr
2015-12-23, 06:28 AM
Theres a few short stories BL didnt included in the CC package i purchased.

One of them is apparently centered on Jurgen.

If i believe TV Tropes, its.named "A Mug of Recaff"/"The Smallest Detail"

I apparently also miss "The little things" and "Hidden Depth"

brionl
2015-12-23, 12:22 PM

While I like the Flashman books and all (I've got 7 on my bookshelf), I've found that if I read too many of them in a row it gets a bit tedious. So I recommend not binging out on them.

I think I've got most of the Cain books too. I enjoyed them a lot more than most gaming tie-in fiction that I've suffered through.

Cikomyr
2015-12-24, 09:48 AM
Currently reached The Traitor's Hand. I forgot how exciting Sandy Mitchell's writing of Space Combat was.

Makes me yearn for a Starship combat-based Space Opera. Anything of the like in the 40K universe?

The Glyphstone
2015-12-24, 11:21 AM
Currently reached The Traitor's Hand. I forgot how exciting Sandy Mitchell's writing of Space Combat was.

Makes me yearn for a Starship combat-based Space Opera. Anything of the like in the 40K universe?

There's the Gothic War duology - Execution Hour and Shadow Point, starring a Lunar Cruiser during the aforementioned war. But those are the only BFG/Starship-centric books in the Black Library rolls I know of.