PDA

View Full Version : Finessing a quarterstaff?

gadren
2015-12-20, 03:51 PM
Has Wizards of the Coast or Paizo ever published a way (via a feat, class feature, etc) to gets the benefits of weapon finesse with a quarterstaff in 3e/3.5 or Pathfinder?

Have any well-regarded third party developers ever published such a thing?

Pluto!
2015-12-20, 04:12 PM
I'm drawing a blank on seeing this feat... Does it need to be in an actual bound book? Delving through a library to justify a simple balanced (underpowered, even) feat seems like a waste of time.

How about:

Quarterstaff Mastery (General)
Requirements: Weapon Focus: Quarterstaff, BA +1, Dex 13
Benefits: You may use your quarterstaff to perform a Trip attack. On a failed Trip attempt, you may drop your quarterstaff to avoid being knocked prone. In addition, you may add your Dexterity bonus in place of your Strength bonus to attack rolls.
Special: A monk may select Quarterstaff Mastery as a level 1 bonus feat.

Necroticplague
2015-12-20, 06:15 PM
A quarterstaff can be wielded as a double weapon. When doing so, it is a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. Light weapons can be finessed. Thus, as long as you aren't going to go for two-handed weapon benefits, you can finesse it by default as a light weapon.

gadren
2015-12-20, 06:35 PM
I'm drawing a blank on seeing this feat... Does it need to be in an actual bound book? Delving through a library to justify a simple balanced (underpowered, even) feat seems like a waste of time.

How about:

Quarterstaff Mastery (General)
Requirements: Weapon Focus: Quarterstaff, BA +1, Dex 13
Benefits: You may use your quarterstaff to perform a Trip attack. On a failed Trip attempt, you may drop your quarterstaff to avoid being knocked prone. In addition, you may add your Dexterity bonus in place of your Strength bonus to attack rolls.
Special: A monk may select Quarterstaff Mastery as a level 1 bonus feat.
I can homebrew stuff just fine, I just wanted to know if it has already been printed anywhere. Also, Pathfinder already has a feat called Quarterstaff Mastery, which lets you treat a Quarterstaff as a one handed weapon.

A quarterstaff can be wielded as a double weapon. When doing so, it is a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. Light weapons can be finessed. Thus, as long as you aren't going to go for two-handed weapon benefits, you can finesse it by default as a light weapon.
I already thought of that, but that's not actually what the rules say. The rules just say it can be treated as a one handed weapon and a light weapon for the purposes of two-weapon fighting penalties, so that doesn't actually fly.

Psyren
2015-12-20, 07:05 PM
Yes, you can do this in first-party. Do you have the recently released Weapon Master's Handbook? The third feat in the Spear Dancing Style chain lets you finesse quarterstaffs (one or both ends, as you choose); it's called Spear Dancing Spiral.

gadren
2015-12-20, 07:13 PM
Yes, you can do this in first-party. Do you have the recently released Weapon Master's Handbook? The third feat in the Spear Dancing Style chain lets you finesse quarterstaffs (one or both ends, as you choose); it's called Spear Dancing Spiral.

Thank you! I don't have the book but I'll keep an eye out for it

Psyren
2015-12-20, 08:53 PM
Oh, better yet - I thought this book hadn't been uploaded to the PFSRD yet, but apparently it has. Spear Dancing Spiral (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/spear-dancing-spiral-combat)

Vhaidara
2015-12-20, 09:21 PM
Another option is Path of War's Double Weapon Finesse, which cuts out the Style feat and the Weapon Focus tax.

WhamBamSam
2015-12-20, 10:08 PM
All things are possible through the wonders of a Morphing Sunsword.

Add the Morphing property to a Sunsword (Expidition to Castle Ravenloft) and you can morph the Bastard Sword (conveniently both a one-handed and two-handed weapon) into whatever you're looking to use, You now get to wield that weapon as if it were a Short Sword if you're good aligned. So not only can you probably rock Weapon Finesse with it, you can definitely use Shadow Blade with it.

gadren
2015-12-20, 10:23 PM
Oh, better yet - I thought this book hadn't been uploaded to the PFSRD yet, but apparently it has. Spear Dancing Spiral (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/combat-feats/spear-dancing-spiral-combat)

Hmm, oddly enough this doesn't work with quarterstaffs, it just treats treats spears and polearms like quarterstaffs and also lets you finesse them.

Another option is Path of War's Double Weapon Finesse, which cuts out the Style feat and the Weapon Focus tax.
OOh, that is pretty good, even if it is Third Party (though I feel like DSP is the most accepted 3rd party source).

Psyren
2015-12-20, 10:53 PM
Hmm, oddly enough this doesn't work with quarterstaffs, it just treats treats spears and polearms like quarterstaffs and also lets you finesse them.

Ah, my bad - well, just use one of those then.

gadren
2015-12-20, 11:18 PM
Ah, my bad - well, just use one of those then.
Well, the problem is when you want to use an actual staff, either for flavor reasons or because you want to use an item that HAS to be a staff, like a Runestaff of Power or something.

Psyren
2015-12-20, 11:39 PM
Welllll.... depending on how liberally you read Weapon Versatility, you may be able to wink-nudge a Quarterstaff into being a slashing weapon. Then Quarterstaff Master lets you wield it one-handed, opening it up for Slashing Grace, and then you add a Swashbuckler dip. All of that combined could result in Dex to both attack and damage with your quarterstaff, if you absolutely cannot use any similar weapon.

LTwerewolf
2015-12-20, 11:50 PM
Aptitude weapon, anyone? ToB 148.

gadren
2015-12-20, 11:50 PM
Welllll.... depending on how liberally you read Weapon Versatility, you may be able to wink-nudge a Quarterstaff into being a slashing weapon. Then Quarterstaff Master lets you wield it one-handed, opening it up for Slashing Grace, and then you add a Swashbuckler dip. All of that combined could result in Dex to both attack and damage with your quarterstaff, if you absolutely cannot use any similar weapon.

Yeah, I thought of that. But including the prereqs, that's a LOT of feats to pull it off though

gadren
2015-12-21, 12:09 PM
Aptitude weapon, anyone? ToB 148. Hmm does Aptitude work with weapon finesse?

ShurikVch
2015-12-21, 12:25 PM
1) Graft Weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/graftWeapon.htm)/Weapon Graft.
The weapon actually becomes a natural weapon, though its other properties are unchanged
Natural weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#naturalWeapons) are always considered light weapons.

2) If quarterstaff is 2+ size categories smaller...

GilesTheCleric
2015-12-21, 01:07 PM
Make it Feycraft (DMG2 275); that reduces the die size by 1, but allows you to use it with weapon finesse. 1,500gp.

ShurikVch
2015-12-21, 01:19 PM
Make it Feycraft (DMG2 275); that reduces the die size by 1, but allows you to use it with weapon finesse. 1,500gp.Unfortunately, it's inapplicable to quarterstaves:
It cannot be added to two-handed weapons because most fey prefer to leave an appendage free for spellcasting or the manipulation of an instrument.