PDA

View Full Version : Onimusha in D&D?

Eternal_Dragon
2015-12-20, 09:43 PM
So, I've been lurking this site for a while now, and had actually forgotten I'd even made an account here. But for the past few months, a little idea has been nagging at the back of my mind when it comes to D&D and I've finally given up and decided to make my first post here, to see what you guys think about it. That idea was, as you might be able to tell from the title, how would 'onimusha' work in D&D? Now, for those that don't know anything about Onimusha it was a game for the PS2 where you play as a soldier. At the start of the game you've just got your simple sword, and you're trying to save someone. You find her, bad stuff happens, a giant demon comes out of nowhere and whacks you a good fifteen feet into the air or something like that. You 'die', some Oni call out to you and explain that the demons are being evil and stuff, give you a gauntlet, then you go out on your merry way to murder them and save the princess.

The oni gauntlet absorbs the souls of demons, and as it absorbs souls it gradually gets more powerful over time(Allowing it to absorb souls faster, from a further distance, ect.). Every time you kill a demon, depending on how strong it is, it'll almost always drop red souls (you use these as 'currency' to upgrade the weapons and armor.), sometimes drop yellow souls (these heal you), or rarely blue souls (these ones give you mana for the weapon you have currently equipped.) You have to absorb these souls before they fade, or get eaten by some variants of demon. The souls can then be used to upgrade any of the elemental orbs that can be put into it, or your armour and I think you might be able to make ammunition slightly better, like turning normal arrows into fire arrows. The orbs 'transform' into a weapon that fits their element, that has magical abilities. Each of the orbs holds an amount of mana (that isn't shared between them. They each get their own pool.) that allows it to do a magical attack that gets gradually more powerful as you upgrade the weapons.

In the game are three orbs, the first of which is a lightning orb. It manifests itself as something along the lines of a long/bastard sword. It has a magical attack that hits an opponent several times in rapid succession, then hits them with a bolt of lightning from the sky. The higher the level, the more hits, and the bigger the lightning strike at the end. The second orb, is a fire orb that turns into a large, heavy two handed sword. It doesn't attack very quickly, but it hits hard and it's magic attack is a single strike that creates small (or large, later in the game) explosion of fire that damages anything it hits. And finally a wind orb, that transforms into a twinblade, with a magical attack that creates a large tornado around the character.

Now, I'm not looking for some exact match to this, since some of those mechanics are a little ridiculous for a D&D game. I know that I could replicate the effects of those three weapons with a flaming burst, greatsword with an x/day Burning hands(Probably enhanced in some way.); A shocking burst, shocking surge longsword; and a Screaming Burst, Whirling / Screaming Burst twinblade. But just making those weapons and running around with them wouldn't really feel like it fit in with the character. So, I'm looking for ways that you'd be able to make a character that works similar to Onimusha in the system. Preferably 3.5 or Pathfinder.

This took me far too long to write than I'm willing to admit. And, I believe this is the right forum to put this in, no?

Bronk
2015-12-21, 07:51 AM
Now, I'm not looking for some exact match to this, since some of those mechanics are a little ridiculous for a D&D game. I know that I could replicate the effects of those three weapons with a flaming burst, greatsword with an x/day Burning hands(Probably enhanced in some way.); A shocking burst, shocking surge longsword; and a Screaming Burst, Whirling / Screaming Burst twinblade. But just making those weapons and running around with them wouldn't really feel like it fit in with the character. So, I'm looking for ways that you'd be able to make a character that works similar to Onimusha in the system. Preferably 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Hey, cool, I remember that game! It was pretty fun.

I'm AFB right now, but there are plenty of weapons out there that are somewhat similar in that they gain power either after they hit an enemy, after they've killed an enemy, or that ramp up the more enemies that are killed.

Also, magic items can grant feats per the Arms and Equipment Guide.

Moonblades were elven artifact weapons that, in AD&D, brought the souls of their wielders inside them upon their deaths to empower new blade abilities.

There's also a metal called 'thinaun' that traps the soul of the last thing it killed inside the weapon, even if the weapon isn't magical.

Meanwhile, demons are well known for not truly dying when away from their home plane, instead reforming back in the abyss. (I'm a bit iffy on the location of the rules for this, but sometimes they're shown to slowly reform, and other times they pop back immediately and are merely unable to return to the Prime Material Plane for 100 years.)

So, maybe a thinaun artifact weapon that traps the soul of a destroyed demon and eat's its abyssal energy? The orbs could be mostly for show, to indicate the magic is working. The energy would power the weapon, adding to the enhancement bonus, unlocking bonus features like flaming and so on, and also empowering feats as well... I'm thinking Martial Study and Martial Stance feats. Maybe the martial maneuvers they grant can increase in power over time as well. Maybe for kicks (and to be more artifacty), this also results in true death for the demon.

I'm not aware of a way to do this as a player... At best, it would be a item familiar or legacy weapon with powers that would still need to be DM approved. (Maybe something that turns demons into trees, then replicates the 'blighter' ability to suck the life out of forests?)

Florian
2015-12-21, 08:24 AM
@Eternal Dragon:

Porting the concept over 1 on 1 will simply become too fiddly for actual play (I tried that...). Besides that, you already have one of the mechanics covered by regular EXP.

For Pathfinder, you can do four things to get close to the wanted feeling:
- Use Automatic Bonus Progression to move some of the mechanics to the background.
- Take a look at how the weapon "Suishen" (1) is designed. You want exactly that for your game.
- Backport the "Milestone" mechanic from 4E, letting "reaching a milestone" refresh one X/day ability on a weapon, one on a class and refresh one spell slots.
- Include the "Combat Endurance" system, but let it be refreshed by killing Oni and empty the pool when a milestone is reached.

(1) http://www.archivesofnethys.com/MagicArtifactsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Suishen,%20Gua rdian%20of%20the%20Amatatsu

DMVerdandi
2015-12-21, 04:58 PM
I would probably make Samanouske by gestalting a pathfinder Soulknife//Sorcerer(Oni-bloodline).
Give him Equipment from the advanced arms and armor book.