PDA

View Full Version : Roy and Miko get together at last? (Spoiler)

Person_Man
2007-06-12, 09:15 AM
So it occurred to me that both Roy and Miko are Lawful Good.

Roy clearly died trying to slay Evil and defend the city. And in general, he's been a consistently decent and fair guy throughout the strip.

Even though she fell from Paladinhood, Miko never stopped trying to be Lawful Good. Though clearly there's an argument to be made that she shifted to Lawful Evil (or Lawful Stupid) for a while, she earnestly tried to repent for her sins in the end.

So, does that mean that Roy and Miko (and Miko's Paladin mount celestial horse, as implied in the most recent strip) will meet in Lawful Good heaven together? Will they finally resolve their differences and have a romantic affair in the afterworld? Or does that sorta thing not happen on the Celestial Plane?

Discuss.

PhallicWarrior
2007-06-12, 09:42 AM
Methinks you've been watching too many sappy holovids, friend.

Morty
2007-06-12, 10:10 AM
Ain't gonna happen, if you ask me. First, even if they resolve their differences, there is too much bitter and anger between them for romantic relationship. LG or not, both of them are quite stubborn. Second, Roy has got Celia. Third, Roy's probably going to be eventually ressurected, while Miko isn't.

factotum
2007-06-12, 10:27 AM
And let's not forget that Celia is herself an outsider of some sort and could therefore possibly visit Roy in the afterlife anyway. It would get a bit messy if she turned up to find Miko. :smallsmile:

Lòkki Gallansbayne
2007-06-12, 10:31 AM
What M0rt said; I can't see it happening. I would be very impressed if Rich made it work in a not completely tacky soap opera way and without seeming forced, but I probably still wouldn't enjoy it because it just wouldn't feel right. While it's good conflict potential due to the whole Celia thing, much of the humour value in it would be covering old ground, except maybe if it happened in the spur of some moment and was followed by an "oh god what have I done?" aftershock scene.

Cifer
2007-06-12, 10:38 AM
I'm not quite sure where Miko will end up. "He [Windstriker] will visit you as much as he is able" might be taken to mean they're not on the same plane. Or, of course, it could simply mean that the horse will get a new master soon (er, you know what I mean...) and not be there for her that often.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-06-12, 10:39 AM
Ain't gonna happen, if you ask me. First, even if they resolve their differences, there is too much bitter and anger between them for romantic relationship. LG or not, both of them are quite stubborn. Second, Roy has got Celia. Third, Roy's probably going to be eventually ressurected, while Miko isn't.

fourth, she's STILL royally pissed off at the OOTS. More so then ever, in fact.

elliott20
2007-06-12, 10:45 AM
on the other hand though, a cat fight between Celia and Miko would be kind of entertaining....

Person_Man
2007-06-12, 11:40 AM
on the other hand though, a cat fight between Celia and Miko would be kind of entertaining....

Now that would be hilarious.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I believe that Roy and Miko will meet in the afterlife, and HATE each other even more because of it.

But Rich can go a lot of different ways with this, which is surprising, since normally "ending" a campaign by killing off characters/NPC's and blowing up a main plot device tends to force a re-boot in the story. But he's been very careful not to paint himself into a corner.

Yeril
2007-06-12, 11:48 AM
there was the whole "Windstriker will visit you" meaning shes probaly not going to the same place he is, but then again, I never saw roy being that LG.

but yeah Id like to see roy and miko meet up in the afterlife (but not in a romantic sense)

iabervon
2007-06-12, 05:07 PM
My vote is for: they meet, have a big fight, give up trying to fight because they're already dead and can't get any more killed, kiss in the soap opera way, and then Roy gets resurrected. He wakes up saying "I can't believe I just..." OOTS plus Celia all looking at him "...nevermind." That's what I'd do if I were Rich.

Actually, no, if I were Rich, I'd write Roy's resurrection strip with this dialogue, never explain it, and let the fans speculate, because that's more fun and doesn't require actually drawing the soap opera panels.

teratorn
2007-06-12, 05:15 PM
Roy and Miko (and Miko's Paladin mount celestial horse, as implied in the most recent strip) will meet in Lawful Good heaven together? Will they finally resolve their differences and have a romantic affair in the afterworld?

This requires a Sabine moment:

Roy, Miko and Windstryker having a romantic affair?

Okrainets
2007-06-12, 05:15 PM
I vote for you guys taking the comic too far. Fan fiction about Roy and Miko meeting in heaven and falling in love belongs on livejournal or something.

Ampersand
2007-06-12, 05:35 PM
Second, Roy has got Celia.

But Celia's not around. :smallamused: *cough* (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0039.html)

Third, Roy's probably going to be eventually ressurected, while Miko isn't.

What happens in the Upper Planes stays in the Upper Planes, get my drift? Nod's as good as a wink to a blind horse, eh?

Nathander
2007-06-12, 07:26 PM
Honestly, I doubt it. It could be entertaining for awhile, and I do think there's a chance that the two will meet up yet again in the afterlife. Whether this comes to a horribly heated verbal confrontation that ends with them hating each other more than ever, I can't say. Honestly, I'd like to think that it would possibly culminate with a light, shaky friendship between the two built on finally understanding one another and mutual respect. I also personally think that, while Miko still has a good deal of anger towards the OotS, that she may begin to actually get the chance to re-think her ideals in the afterlife, especially after having someone she holds to such high esteem such as Soon Kim tell her that she was wrong.

And, after all, Roy has Celia, as has been said. Whether or not they actually meet up while he's dead is up for debate, unless for some odd reason the plane that Roy is sent to is the Elemental Plane of Air, but I don't think someone like Roy would actually cheat on someone he appears to intend to genuinely want to start a relationship with. Again, if Roy and Miko make any head way, the farthest I think they can get is a shaky friendship built more on respect than actually liking one another.

there was the whole "Windstriker will visit you" meaning shes probaly not going to the same place he is, but then again, I never saw roy being that LG.

I agree, on both points actually. While Roy claims to be Lawful Good, I've always seen him as actually being Neutral Good. He surely isn't chaotic, but I also don't think he's necessarily that lawful.

Merlin the Tuna
2007-06-12, 08:22 PM
...she earnestly tried to repent for her sins in the end.Uh... no she didn't. As Soon mentioned, at no point did she even believe herself to have done anything wrong, much less make an attempt to repent for doing so.

TheBaffledKing
2007-06-12, 09:22 PM
Maybe this is a bridge too far, but I would like a happy ending of sorts for Miko.

Her conversation with Soon indicates she has began to realise how deluded she was; perhaps with Roy's help in the afterlife and a lot of painful soul-searching she could realise the wrongness of her actions, and that she needs to atone for them - which would presumably involve resurrection.

Now, assuming that Roy will be resurrected by the rest of The Order, his most urgent task will be attending to the main plot and trying to stop Xykon from accessing the Snarl's power. Whilst this might be more easily done with the aid of a high level character like Miko, I've a feeling that reintroducing her to The Order's story would likely make the comic worse.

So... I kinda like the idea of Roy finding a lot of compassion for Miko when they meet in the afterlife (though it would be preceded by fights, frustration and stubborness, which would give way to understanding and then compassion), and him getting her resurrected as part of an epilogue of sorts to the main story, so that she could quest for atonement. I'm sure that realisation of her shortcomings would lead to her becoming more of a rounded character too, and becoming happy as a person rather than just as a paladin.

As far as any romantic involvement in that scenario goes, I'm not too sure about that... it seems a little bit too sweet even for my tastes (and what of Celia?). Friendship seems more likely to me. I guess it's not impossible though.

EdgarVerona
2007-06-12, 09:27 PM
I really hope they don't get together. Roy has a good woman in the current-life, who deserves better than to get sidestepped by Miko. Like I said in the other thread, I appreciate that Miko was trying to do good and thus I wanted her to have a good ending... but I definately don't want her with the utterly incompatible Roy, especially when he has a much better lady friend waiting for his inevitable resurrection. :smallwink:

Demented
2007-06-12, 09:33 PM
So... I kinda like the idea of Roy finding a lot of compassion for Miko when they meet in the afterlife (though it would be preceded by fights, frustration and stubborness, which would give way to understanding and then compassion), and him getting her resurrected as part of an epilogue of sorts to the main story, so that she could quest for atonement. I'm sure that realisation of her shortcomings would lead to her becoming more of a rounded character too, and becoming happy as a person rather than just as a paladin.

I'd like to see him try.

:roy: "We must resurrect Miko!"

:durkon: "Lad, have ye gone daft!?"

:belkar: "I vote we kill him and raise the REAL Roy."

Mad Scientist
2007-06-12, 09:50 PM
it would be really sad/funny if they do meet up and then Roy gets resurrected and has to leave her behind.
:durkon: Roy I said 'resurrect'
:roy: Well, that's my cue! Gotta go.
:miko: But . . . no you can't! I am a paladin of the saphire guard! I deserve this more than you! Come back here!
(several panels later)
:miko: I can only assume the death of most of the saphire guard means it will just take some time for them to ressurect all of us.
(several panels later)
:miko: Grrrr! What is taking so long? By the twelve gods I will find a way back to the mortal plane and take my revenge on the evil oots!
(several panels later)
:miko: Why aren't the twelve gods answering? Hello? Can anyone hear me? Someone? Anyone? Roy? . . . *sigh* . . . Belkar?
:belkar: Karmariffic!

Ampersand
2007-06-12, 10:28 PM
I'd like to see him try.

:roy: "We must resurrect Miko!"

:durkon: "Lad, have ye gone daft!?"

I'd actually think that, of all the OotS, Durkon would be the most likely to want to rez Miko. Particularly if he heard a credible report that she was making a genuine attempt to remove the Stick. I don't ever remember Durkon expressing any particular ill will toward Miko, and he'd probably want to see that she had a chance to do the right thing.

:durkon: Now lass, yer Attonment will send ye deep into tha heart of the tha trees' holdins ta strike at thar leaders...

Elan would probably be the second most likely. Even though he doesn't like Miko, he wouldn't be able to pass up the drama of Fallen Paladin Returns From the Dead to Repent!

Of course, both of those scenarios are predicated on them learning about what happened in 464, which short of Miko bumping into Roy in LG Heaven (and the two of them not immediately getting into a fistfight) or one of the Order spontaneously developing postcognative powers isn't too likely to happen.

Nathander
2007-06-12, 10:30 PM

That's kind of what I'd like to see as well, if Roy and Miko are able to find some form of friendship or understanding, though I expect that Roy's suggestion would come before the ending. As the battle goes on, the OotS may come to the decision that they'll need another high-level warrior during the final battle(s) with Xykon and Redcloak (and possibly the Linear Guild). Assuming that they do meet in the afterlife and come to an understanding, I think that Roy would possibly suggest having Miko raised/resurrected. Even without her paladin levels, she's shown herself to be a horrifically capable warrior, and would be useful in the later battles with Xykon. While Hinjo could possibly fill this role instead, I would assume he's going to be busy rebuilding Azure City and helping get the Sapphire Guard back into working order, though I could be wrong.

I think that, after all is said and done (and she survives the battle with Xykon and possibly a minor skirmish that would follow against the Snarl if it is freed), that she would begin to redeem herself and go on a quest appointed for her for redemption. And, in doing so, move towards becoming the paladin she always thought she was.

I'd like to see him try.

"We must resurrect Miko!"

"Lad, have ye gone daft!?"

"I vote we kill him and raise the REAL Roy."

Belkar's response is spot on, though I think Durkon's response, if rephrased slightly, would be more fitting from Haley. I personally feel Durkon, of the group, would have an easier time forgiving Miko. Not that it would necessarily come quickly, but I think he'd be more receptive to allowing her a second chance than any of the others.

Of course, both of those scenarios are predicated on them learning about what happened in 464, which short of Miko bumping into Roy in LG Heaven (and the two of them not immediately getting into a fistfight) or one of the Order spontaneously developing postcognative powers] isn't too likely to happen.

Very true. HOwever, there's also the slight chance that they'll find Miko's body in the remains of the throne room if they do go to survey the damage there. How likely this is is unknown, though....