PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Defensive Duelist

RingofThorns
2015-12-21, 01:45 AM
I know the title can be a little misleading so to go ahead and clear things up, the group I am in is running another 'hunger games' type free for all. I was wanting to make a guy that would fight with a weapon like a rapier something light, and would fight with a more defensive style. Think for things like most fighting in assassins creed and the like, anyway there was a feat that allowed you to attack some one after they had attacked if the attack didn't beat your AC, I am looking for the name of that feat and any useful build tips for making a character that would wear light armor and rely more on fighting with dex bonuses to ac an the like.

Droopy McCool
2015-12-21, 02:58 AM
I assume you're talking about Robilar's Gambit (PHBII). Opponent gains +4 on attack and damage rolls, but every attack provokes AoO. Combat Reflexes just became your best friend. The only problem is that it requires BAB +12 as a prereq, so your not reaping the benefits until later in your career.

You could be looking for Riposte from the Netbook of Feats. Could get it as early as level 6.

RIPOSTE
After deflecting your opponents blow, you quicly attack while they are over extended.
Prerequisite: Weapon Finesse, Combat Expertise, Base attack bonus +6
Benefit: When unencumbered, in light armor or less, and wielding a weapon that you have Finesse for, you may make an attack of opportunity against an opponent who tries to attack you in melee and misses.
Special: This does not work if you are denied your dexterity bonus to AC. You cannot use other feats that allow extra attacks (such as cleave) with a riposte.

Those are the only ones I can think of. Honestly, when going PvP, Combat Expertise isn't a bad idea, especially since your attack bonus isn't dwarfed by a monster's to-hit, and you will probably have a high Dex anyway to make Finesse worth it.

McCool

gorfnab
2015-12-21, 02:58 AM
Just so happens I made a Duelist build some time ago that fights defensively using a few tricks.

Human or Strongheart Halfling
1. Swashbuckler - Deadly Defense (CS), Combat Expertise, B: Weapon Finesse
2. Cobra Strike (UA) Decisive Strike (PHBII) Monk - B: Dodge
3. Cobra Strike (UA) Monk - Carmendine Monk (CoV), B: Mobility
4. Swashbuckler
5. Swashbuckler
6. Thief Acrobat - Combat Reflexes
7. Thief Acrobat
8. Thief Acrobat
9. Thief Acrobat - Einhander (PHBII)
10. Thief Acrobat or Warblade
11. Warblade or Duelist
12. Warblade or Duelist - Ironheart Aura (ToB)
13. Duelist
14. Duelist
15. Duelist - Robilar's Gambit (PHBII)
16. Duelist
17. Duelist
18. Duelist - Stormguard Warrior (ToB)
19. Duelist
20. Duelist

The Monk and Swashbuckler levels (levels 1 through 5) can be switched around to taste. I personally like Swash 1/ Monk 2/ Swash 2.

Levels 10 through 12 can be rearranged depending on your needs. The current setup gives you Improved Evasion and Uncanny Dodge at these levels. However if you don't need Improved Evasion take one less level of Thief Acrobat and move the first level of Warblade to level 10. If you don't need Uncanny Dodge don't take the 2nd level of Warblade and instead go into Duelist a level early. If you don't need either abilities take Warblade at level 10 and enter Duelist at level 11. You do need at least one level of Warblade for Ironheart Aura and Stormguard Warrior.

If flaws are available pick up EWP: Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv, pre-errata version if possible) or Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) and Snap Kick (ToB) (may need to rearrange later feats). If traits are available pick up Cautious (UA).

Items:
Vest of Defense (MIC)
Bracers of Blocking (Dragon 322)
Broadblade Shortsword (CAdv) (pre-errata version if possible) or Rapier with the Defensive Surge (MIC) enhancement.

Also you may want to look into this handbook for more tricks: A short guide to defensive fighting (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting)

A.A.King
2015-12-21, 07:14 AM
You might want to look at this short guide to fighting defensively (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting). That's the literal fighting defensively.

If it is just about fighting with a High Dex rather than a high Strength I suggest Rogue 4 / Swashbuckler 15 / Hit-and-Run Fighter 1 with Daring Outlaw. BAB of 19, Sneak Attack of a LV19 Rogue, Free Weapon Finesse and Dex to Damage if your opponent is Flat-Footed (using the ACF "Hit-and-Run" from Drow of the Underdark)

Âmesang
2015-12-21, 10:14 AM
I've also had plans on building a very defense-minded duelist, though admittedly my build is far simpler, making use of Unearthed Arcana's fighter alternate class features and some feats from the Player's Handbook II:

Thug 1
Weapon Finesse (rapier), DodgeB

Thug 2
+1d6 sneak attack

Thug 3
Mobility

Thug 4
+2d6 sneak attack

Thug 5

Thug 6
Combat Expertise, +3d6 sneak attack

Thug 7

Duelist 1

Duelist 2
Improved Feint

Duelist 3

Duelist 4

Duelist 5
Tumbling Feint

Duelist 6

Duelist 7

Duelist 8
Improved Disarm

Duelist 9
Deflect ArrowsB

Duelist 10

Thug 8
Einhander, +4d6 sneak attack

Thug 9

Thug 10
+5d6 sneak attack

My general plan was to have the guy fight defensively, eventually feinting as a move action so as to sneak attack more easily (of course if he can get a foe flanked, he'd do that). Of course that would mean he'd essentially be making one attack per turn, unless there's some option for a swift/free action feint? I might swap out Tumbling Feint for Surprising Riposte, depending on the general make up of whatever party I stick this guy in. :smalltongue: Not the most optimized duelist, but this was a kind of "spur-of-the-moment" idea.

Einhander, Player's Handbook II, p.94
Surprising Riposte, Drow of the Underdark, p.52
Tumbling Feint, Player's Handbook II, p.84

A.A.King
2015-12-21, 10:55 AM
I've also had plans on building a very defense-minded duelist, though admittedly my build is far simpler, making use of Unearthed Arcana's fighter alternate class features and some feats from the Player's Handbook II:

Thug 1
Weapon Finesse (rapier), DodgeB

Thug 2
+1d6 sneak attack

Thug 3
Mobility

Thug 4
+2d6 sneak attack

Thug 5

Thug 6
Combat Expertise, +3d6 sneak attack

Thug 7

Duelist 1

Duelist 2
Improved Feint

Duelist 3

Duelist 4

Duelist 5
Tumbling Feint

Duelist 6

Duelist 7

Duelist 8
Improved Disarm

Duelist 9
Deflect ArrowsB

Duelist 10

Thug 8
Einhander, +4d6 sneak attack

Thug 9

Thug 10
+5d6 sneak attack

My general plan was to have the guy fight defensively, eventually feinting as a move action so as to sneak attack more easily (of course if he can get a foe flanked, he'd do that). Of course that would mean he'd essentially be making one attack per turn, unless there's some option for a swift/free action feint? I might swap out Tumbling Feint for Surprising Riposte, depending on the general make up of whatever party I stick this guy in. :smalltongue: Not the most optimized duelist, but this was a kind of "spur-of-the-moment" idea.

Einhander, Player's Handbook II, p.94
Surprising Riposte, Drow of the Underdark, p.52
Tumbling Feint, Player's Handbook II, p.84

If you're using the Sneak Attack Fighter ACF from UA you get Sneak Attack at every odd level. It says that you can Sneak Attack (as Rogue), so you gain it at the levels a Rogue would gain Sneak Attack.

ShurikVch
2015-12-21, 10:58 AM
Anybody heard about the Parry feat line (Dragon #301)?

Main feat of the line - Parry - allow to spent AoO attempt to negate enemy's attack, if your attack roll better than enemy's attack roll (+4 for parrying with light weapon)

Other feats of the line remove various restriction of original feat:
parry attacks from much larger weapons,
parry while wearing heavier armor,
parry with unarmed strike,
parry more times per turn,
parry more than 1 attack per creature per turn,
parry don't provoke automatic disarm attempt,
parry attack which was aimed to somebody adjusted.

Flickerdart
2015-12-21, 11:05 AM
I've made a defensive built guy back in the day, but he was an unarmed combatant focused on tripping. The idea was to use Azurin + Cobalt Expertise to rock a solid AC while offsetting the attack penalty on combat maneuvers. The focus wasn't on damage, but the character could dish it out with Decisive Strike, Knockdown, and Snap Kick.

Check out this guide (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?178445-A-short-guide-to-defensive-fighting).

Also. consider the Riposte and/or Agile Riposte feats, which let you AoO people attacking you. You can use that AoO to try and disarm them, if you're into that.

Âmesang
2015-12-21, 01:13 PM
If you're using the Sneak Attack Fighter ACF from UA you get Sneak Attack at every odd level. It says that you can Sneak Attack (as Rogue), so you gain it at the levels a Rogue would gain Sneak Attack.
Alright, so he gets it a level sooner, then; guess I thought at the time that since one class feature replaced another it'd do so at the old feature's levels… though when looking at ranger alternate class features recently I realized that wouldn't make any sense.

That up there was pretty much a straight copy/paste that I haven't touched in months.