PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Tamer of Beasts Optimization help

SangoProduction
2015-12-21, 04:04 AM
Yes, it's not tier 1. Yes, it's 3rd edition. Doesn't mean I don't want to optimize around that.

So, first off, what do I take for my first 7 levels? (since it's requiring 10 ranks of animal empathy [handle animal]). Druid would obviously be the entry class, but what are some other prestige classes work well with mass animal companions? (Full casters are preferred, as they improve spell caster level, which improves tamer of beast's animal mastery.)

What are some notable mass-buffs that druids have access to? What are ways to improve effective level for animal companions and effective spell caster level? I think there are some feats out there, but I can't remember them. I think the animal companion one is specifically "increased druid level", which wouldn't affect animal mastery, as it's specifically "spell caster level for animal friendship."

Beast Heart Adept seems to fit the concept....but it doesn't...like...increase my caster level, and thus doesn't improve my animal mastery. It also explicitly does not stack with animal companion. And if we are just going to dip in for 3 levels, that monster companion won't be much use.

What are some good animal companions? Clearly the first one would use up to my HD in HD, and be the primary fighter/thingy, but what are some good utility pets? Stealth and perception-based pets would probably be quite useful with Animal Senses...although by the time you're level 11 to get it, there will be much better options for divination, it would seem to be useful as it doesn't take spell slots. (Again, not optimized compared to other classes, just within itself.)

I will probably take the Wild Cohort feat just because. I might even take the Dragon Cohort later on. (I mean, they are just smarter beasts, right?)

And is there anything else I need to consider for this build?

Twurps
2015-12-21, 08:30 AM
Standard 'go to' class for animal companions in 3.5 is the beastmaster. 1 level will advance your Druid animal companion 3 levels (2 more than straight druid would). This doesn't advance spellcasting though, so you lose 2 HD in 'tamer of beast companions'.

I'd say (apart from bloodline cheese) straight druid would probably be best.

As for feats: 'natural bond' (CA) is the one you're refering to that gives +3 druid levels. It only applies to 1 companion, no matter how many you have, so might as wel take it once for your druid companion.
others that might interest you:
-Exalted companion (BoED)
-Spider companion (DotU)
-Vermin companion (Ecs)
-Feral Animal companion(CoR)
All give more options for animal companions, I don't any of them exept exalted companion is worth it, but YMMV.

other interesting feat: Companion Spellbond(PHII) for sharing spells with your companion(s?) up to 30ft.

prufock
2015-12-21, 08:57 AM
Easiest route would be straight druid 7/tamer of beasts 10/druid 3. You basically need druid in there somewhere because of the Charm Animal.

Another option could be getting into ur-priest so that the 3/10 casting of Tamer of Beasts means something. Druid 1/Savage Bard 4/Ur-priest 2/Tamer of Beasts 10/Ur-priest or another class to progress it 3. That's level 8 spells from the cleric list plus some bard buffing and all of tamer of beasts.

Just spit-balling here. Druid 1/Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bard) 7/Warrior Skald 1/Tamer of Beasts 2/Sublime Chord 2/Tamer of Beasts +7 will give you all your bardic music abilities, double your bard level to Wild Empathy (with the Theurgic Empathy feat), and up to 6th level spells. Practiced Spellcaster gets your caster level up to snuff.

Beastmaster progresses animal companion and gets you lower ones at level 4 (-3 effective bard level for the second one), but no bonus CL.

I think the feat you're talking about is Natural Bond.

Fleshraker dinosaur.

Twurps
2015-12-21, 09:55 AM
Easiest route would be straight druid 7/tamer of beasts 10/druid 3. You basically need druid in there somewhere because of the Charm Animal.

Another option could be getting into ur-priest so that the 3/10 casting of Tamer of Beasts means something. Druid 1/Savage Bard 4/Ur-priest 2/Tamer of Beasts 10/Ur-priest or another class to progress it 3. That's level 8 spells from the cleric list plus some bard buffing and all of tamer of beasts.

Just spit-balling here. Druid 1/Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bard) 7/Warrior Skald 1/Tamer of Beasts 2/Sublime Chord 2/Tamer of Beasts +7 will give you all your bardic music abilities, double your bard level to Wild Empathy (with the Theurgic Empathy feat), and up to 6th level spells. Practiced Spellcaster gets your caster level up to snuff.

Beastmaster progresses animal companion and gets you lower ones at level 4 (-3 effective bard level for the second one), but no bonus CL.

I think the feat you're talking about is Natural Bond.

Fleshraker dinosaur.

Problem with the UR-priest (or Bard for that matter) is that you can only use your 'Caster level for animal friendship' for animal mastery. UR-priest doesn't get that spell, as it is Druid/ranger only. There is a 3.0 domain called 'beastmaster' in Defenders of the faith, that gives access to Animal Friendship. You can only get it as a bonus domain, such as via 'contemplative' Prc from the same book, but that's not available until lvl10, at which point you really want to be taking tamer of Beasts levels. Also: Fluff is pretty far of from a tamer of beasts if you ask me.

Practiced spellcaster is a good feat to take though.

SangoProduction
2015-12-21, 08:23 PM
Thanks for the help. Also, do you think that Beastmaster would stack with this, since it says +3 to level of druid for the purposes of the animal companion benefits. It certainly doesn't increase the number of hit dice allowed, but making those animal companions even better could be nice.

Twurps
2015-12-24, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the help. Also, do you think that Beastmaster would stack with this, since it says +3 to level of druid for the purposes of the animal companion benefits. It certainly doesn't increase the number of hit dice allowed, but making those animal companions even better could be nice.

your druid level does nothing at all for all your 'tamer of the beast' levels. So +3 wouldn't help at all there.
A druid gets 1 companion of it's own, and that companion would benefit.

SangoProduction
2015-12-25, 06:46 AM
your druid level does nothing at all for all your 'tamer of the beast' levels. So +3 wouldn't help at all there.
A druid gets 1 companion of it's own, and that companion would benefit.

Hmm. Reread it again, because I could have sworn that it was only the fact that the HD was increased, and you could take multiple.

...I was correct in that...but it...doesn't actually say they get benefits as a druid animal familiar, nor that this class stacks with druid for the purpose of benefits of animal companion. That kinda sucks.