PDA

View Full Version : Reach weapons and Bloodstorm Blade

TeslaJr
2015-12-21, 10:33 AM
So I'm working on a Bloodstorm Blade that'll be using a guisarme as his main weapon (which has a 10ft reach), and I was wondering how this would work with range increments. If I were to throw the guisarme a distance within the first range increment (10ft), would I be able to hit something up to 20ft away with no penalties?

OldTrees1
2015-12-21, 10:41 AM
Reach does not affect range increments nor vice versa.

Flickerdart
2015-12-21, 10:53 AM
Thrown weapons don't interact with reach at all, but even if they did, reach is defined as "a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her...can attack a creature 10 feet away".

When you are throwing the guisarme, you are attacking a target that's not adjacent, and probably 10 feet away. So all the benefits of reach are already fulfilled.

Andezzar
2015-12-21, 10:54 AM
No, reach and range are totally separate concepts. If you make ranged attacks reach is irrelevant and if you make melee attacks range does not matter.

This would have been a good question for the Simple Q&A thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?460263-Simple-RAW-thread-for-3-5-31-By-now-your-question-has-probably-been-answered).

MisterKaws
2015-12-21, 12:20 PM
Although they don't interact at all, it would be wise to remember that thunderous throw treats a throwing attack as a melee attack instead, and thus would qualify for anything that requires you to strike a target with a reach weapon if the thrown weapon has reach.